Author Topic: Roman surnames and names in general..  (Read 2140 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Roman surnames and names in general..
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 08:57:58 PM »
what's MDMA?

ectasy, big man. Not sure if I spelt it right though.

I am wired atm... And I am around 1,800 cals for the day.. Good.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 01:40:30 PM »
Is it me, or are ancient Roman names just cool?

I mean stuff like Remus, Lucius, Claudius, Nero, Tiberius, Markus, Gaius, Marius, Pompey; could go on and on.

Just fucking cool. Why don't new parents today choose these names instead of something common, boring and unoriginal, such as "JOHN" or "MUHAMMAD"?

Great men who set the stone for western culture held these names. They are far more important than some closet magician #### who spread lies and did nothing for humanity.

Alcohol tends out to bring out your inner most thoughts, so bear with me. And if you are with child, do me a fucking favor and pick a name like Romulus, Cato or Gaius.

Expand on this idea, please. Even Medford is allowed to chime in.

Let's analyse a Roman patrician name:

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus.

Publius - Personal name.

Cornelius -  From gens Cornelia - clan name. The Cornelii were one of the oldest Patrician gens, or clans, of Rome.

Scipio - From Scipiones - family name - branch of the Cornelii.

Africanus - Nick name - came from the fact that he defeated Hannibal in Africa.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »
  The Romans were the greatest people who ever walked the face of the Earth. The ruins of Rome are all that's left of them.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
  The Romans were the greatest people who ever walked the face of the Earth. The ruins of Rome are all that's left of them.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

the roman were destoryers of culture... they were hardly the greatest people of all time

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »

the roman were destoryers of culture... they were hardly the greatest people of all time

Christianity ruined Rome, along with too much power going to ambitious generals and their armies.

All set by Sulla.. But Sulla returned things back to the senate, while Caesar, Anthony and Augustus had other ideas.. They used an excuse to take power and abuse it.

Romans were some of the greatest ever. Not only for their vast empire, but also for their culture.. I mean they weren't a yuppy society, but honest about their faults. I watched the first season of Rome and read a lot about ancient Rome.. Interesting stuff for any young man.