Author Topic: Supplement Industry Insiders Reveal All!  (Read 3379 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Supplement Industry Insiders Reveal All!
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:16:45 AM »
Interesting article that is circulating...

Supplement Industry Insiders Reveal All!
By Lou Schuler

My friend Jeff O'Connell has a terrific expose of the supplement industry in the current issue of Men's Health. Jeff and I worked together at Weider in the mid-1990s -- he was at Flex, while I was at Men's Fitness. He eventually became editor of Muscle & Fitness before moving to MH shortly after I left. (I think he even has my old office.)

Everyone who works in or writes about the fitness industry has heard stories about the tricks of the supplement trade. One persistent rumor I've heard over the years -- which I assume Jeff heard at least as many times -- is that certain companies will build buzz for a new product by spiking it with ingredients that don't appear on the label.

Unlike me, Jeff actually found sources willing to go on the record about it:

"Random batch spiking" has a long history in the supplement business. It works like this: "The manufacturer sprinkles an illegal substance into an over-the-counter dietary supplement," says Feliciano. "The legal ingredients are claimed on the label, but they don't disclose the drug."

Chris Lockwood, formerly the senior category director of diet, energy, food, and beverage at the supplement retailer GNC and now a doctoral candidate in exercise physiology at the University of Oklahoma, recalls taking a popular protein powder in the early 1990s: "When I first took it, I got great gains. I felt great. I got strong. I got lean. But then something happened to it." Years later, he related his experiences to one of the product's formulators who confirmed for him that the powder had been spiked with Clenbuterol, an asthma drug that supercharges your metabolism.

"Drugs like this don't typically show up on lab tests, unless someone's looking for them," says Lockwood. "The idea is to use them to quickly build a customer base and steal market share by making a product that works 'better' than its competitors."

With apologies for going on a tangent, I remember the first time I heard of Clenbuterol. I had recently started working at Men's Fitness when one of the trainer/models we regularly featured in our workouts came by the office. The trainer had one of the most amazing physiques any of us had ever seen, a walking anatomical chart. His skin looked like beige Saran Wrap applied directly to his muscles and veins. He had trained an actor who'd made a remarkable transformation for a recent movie; the movie was well-reviewed, but the buzz was about the actor's physique. The trainer, laughing, told my coworkers he'd injected the actor with Clenbuterol to achieve the look everyone was talking about.

Getting back to Jeff's story in MH, you can see how spiking a protein supplement with a powerful fat-loss agent would get the meatheads talking. Jeff also writes about a practice I didn't know much about:

Even if all the ingredients are safe (and listed), you still may not be swallowing what you expected. "Fairy dusting" is the name of this industry trick, says Lockwood. Say the hot item of the moment is whey-protein isolate, which is a more pure form of protein than the less expensive whey-protein concentrate. The marketing department at Company X tells its R & D team, "This new product has to contain whey-protein isolate. That's what consumers are buying." But when the formulators crunch the numbers, they realize they can afford to use only 1 gram (g) of isolate for every 40 g concentrate. To keep the whey-protein isolate from standing out as the bottom entry in the ingredients list, they bunch the huge amount of concentrate and the tiny amount of isolate together into a "proprietary protein blend" whose collective heft places it near the top of the list. "This creates the impression that the canister is loaded with something that's really only present in near-trace amounts," says Lockwood.

One recent example of possible fairy dusting -- or perhaps simply the same net effect due to poor formulation -- comes from a ConsumerLab.com test of Muscle Marketing USA ATP Creatine Serum. The manufacturer claimed one serving provided 250 milligrams (mg) of a "proprietary creatine phosphate complex." But Dr. Cooperman and his colleagues determined it contained only 26 mg actual creatine. "To put that in perspective, a single dose of most products promises and delivers 5,000 mg creatine," says Dr. Cooperman. GNC ProPerformance, MuscleTech CellTech, and EAS Phosphagen, among others, all met their label claims. (Through e-mail correspondence, Muscle Marketing USA claimed that their product's trade secret formula is too complex for ConsumerLab.com to accurately determine its creatine content.)

When I've asked friends in the supplement industry to explain how they do what they do, the conversation always comes around to cost: You just can't make good supplements on the cheap. The best materials are expensive.

I don't have a broad perspective on the choices you face when you walk into your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. I've been using Biotest products almost exclusively for years; they taste the best and don't cause the gastric side effects I've experienced with some other brands.

So the only advice I can offer is, don't go with the cheap stuff. You can't build muscles with fairy dust.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Supplement Industry Insiders Reveal All!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:20:54 AM »
An old-time bber told me that Weider would go into his factory after it closed and would put more sugar in the protein and weight gain powders.

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
For maximum effect I smoke creatine.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
The best thing to do is stick to solid foods.

Supplement companies are about as trusty as a used car salesman or a $10 whore who claims to be "clean".  :-\
HAHA, RON.....

tootie-patootie

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »
I heard that Stallone would make frequent visits to the factory where they manufacture instone products, and he would sprinkle his little white hgh and testosterone enhaced sylvesters into the pudding, which is a part of the proprietory blend

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »

Supplement companies are about as trusty as a used car salesman or a $10 whore who claims to be "clean".  :-\

I agree 100%

I believe people forget what 'supplements' mean

All the other shit may give you an edge or gain with a doseage 4 times above the recommended....but for the price...it's not worth it at all.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
hmmm, I heard some bbers heat it up and shoot it.  :o  It's supposed to work instantaneously.
:D Weee

Monte71

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »

I agree with you Knny187. Whole food is the way to go. Sometimes the cooking get to be to be to much so I'll buy meals from www.abmeals.net every once in a while. Also from what I understand Jay Cutler has them in his fridge. I'm sure some of you guy's can run with that comment ;D

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »
Interesting read....some of you guys might remember a product years ago called "HOT STUFF". The product worked so well it was removed from the market.....years later tried to revive the name but the product no where near the kick of the earlier batch which was rumoured to be spiked even that many years ago......Anyone use or remember this product?????

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »

what do you have against $10 whores?
Here comes the money shot

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
hmmm, I heard some bbers heat it up and shoot it.  :o  It's supposed to work instantaneously.

this is the correct way to take creatine!!   ;D

Captain Slin

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »
i heard some weider products back in the day had traces of nandrolone in it.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 12:50:13 AM »
I remember a few companies going down for supposedly mixing in dbol powder with their protein and users getting phenomenal results.

SPOLICE

• Getbig I
  • The Supplement Police are on the case.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 03:21:59 AM »
Lou,

Do you know if O'Connell actually had products tested that showed them to contain illegal substances for this article or was it another story from Feliciano bacjk in the day? Other than the Ventilean from Pharmgenx being spiked with clenbuterol a year or so back I have not seen proof that is common?

www.supplementpolice.com can have a banned steroidal screen run on any product for $600. In case anyone is actually interested. I suspect we'll see no pro athletes using this service as this would prevent them from scapegoating supplements when caught using the real deal.

In case anyone wants to have any product tested they can purchase the tests here

http://supplementpolice.com/store.htm

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 03:25:24 AM »

creatine: the new crystal  :)

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 04:00:52 AM »

creatine: the new crystal  :)

Dan Duchaine said you should snort your creatine.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 04:36:29 AM »
MMUSA has to be a scam. I went for a job interview a few years back at the Australian branch when i was trying to get a start as a rep on the road. All the interview was about was him telling me how they were getting sued for this and getting sued for that. But no, the product really works  ::)

Dr. Shock

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 04:45:36 AM »

The trainer, laughing, told my coworkers he'd injected the actor with Clenbuterol to achieve the look everyone was talking about.

??? ??? ::) ::)