Author Topic: Exotic Pets  (Read 11393 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Exotic Pets
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 10:18:05 AM »

the area b/w the horns also looks pretty horn-like to me . . . in all the gaur I've seen.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »
i didn't know about the banteng . . . all I know is that the bulls on the ranch I go to are much taller at the shoulder than most men . . . I'd estimate around six and a half feet give or take a few inches.  The ones I saw in India were also about the same height. 

the banteng looks like it has about the same mass . . . they're pretty jacked cattle.

Banteng are shorter and denser.  Gauer are taller, although its possible to find banteng that are 6+ feet to the shoulder. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
the area b/w the horns also looks pretty horn-like to me . . . in all the gaur I've seen.

I've got Gaur images from the San Diego Wild Animal Park when I was out there a couple of years back.  I think I have one of a closeup of a bulls head.   I'll have to check so I can show you what I'm talking about.   

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »
Can you 2 keep the domestic to PM's?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 10:34:40 AM »
I've had to look at that pictuer 3 or 4 times.  That really looks like a bull Banteng to me, not a Gaur.  You have to be careful searching the internet for pictures of Gaur and Banteng, many of them are mislabeled---including the pictures in wikipedia and other "reputable"  ::)  references. 

Gaur males are dark brown to ALMOST black with the "crest" between their horns. 

Banteng, the female is brown and the males are black with white socks like the picture below.  This is the big bull (he's about 2300 lbs give or take 200 lbs)  I've worked with for the last year making mincemeat out of a pine tree limb.   

A pine tree air freshener might work better if he's trying to use it as a Cologne

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 10:51:31 AM »
A pine tree air freshener might work better if he's trying to use it as a Cologne

He was just "killing" the tree. 

Banteng are awesome if you've ever worked with cattle.  They are alot like domestic cattle in attitude and personality, but they are much more of a "FIGHT" than "Flight" animal.  The bull in that picture wouldn't back away if he thought you were threatening his cows/calves.  The pine trees were given to him to play with.  He broke them up into tiny pieces ("Killed them") and then ate the pieces.  Its weird because they are so domestic cattle like to a point, then they are completely different.

If I had the money, I'd have a herd of Banteng.   I just am too poor...   >:(

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »
He was just "killing" the tree. 

Banteng are awesome if you've ever worked with cattle.  They are alot like domestic cattle in attitude and personality, but they are much more of a "FIGHT" than "Flight" animal.  The bull in that picture wouldn't back away if he thought you were threatening his cows/calves.  The pine trees were given to him to play with.  He broke them up into tiny pieces ("Killed them") and then ate the pieces.  Its weird because they are so domestic cattle like to a point, then they are completely different.

If I had the money, I'd have a herd of Banteng.   I just am too poor...   >:(

why not gaur?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 01:15:48 PM »
Nordic you get that bro? lol who want's cows?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »
I haven't had any exotic pets, Macaws are cool, a friend had a scarlett macaw, gave an entire room to him.

THe blue one is cool

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
I haven't had any exotic pets, Macaws are cool, a friend had a scarlett macaw, gave an entire room to him.

THe blue one is cool

I'm not a big fan of most Macaw species---they are noisy and can be really obnoxious.... not as bad as cockatoos, but they can come in a close second.  That said, I will say I absolutely love working with Hyacinths.   They are by far my favorite Macaw species.  As a matter of fact they are my favorite psitticine species to work with behind African Greys (congos specifically).   My african grey is a complete hoodlum.  She's been squawking all afternoon at the football games on the TV.  Laughing whenever the announcers get excited and cussing at the commercials.  Its funny as hell. 

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 02:48:45 AM »
I'm not a big fan of most Macaw species---they are noisy and can be really obnoxious.... not as bad as cockatoos, but they can come in a close second.  That said, I will say I absolutely love working with Hyacinths.   They are by far my favorite Macaw species.  As a matter of fact they are my favorite psitticine species to work with behind African Greys (congos specifically).   My african grey is a complete hoodlum.  She's been squawking all afternoon at the football games on the TV.  Laughing whenever the announcers get excited and cussing at the commercials.  Its funny as hell. 

I'm a qualified Zookeeper and I have worked with Macaw, they are everything you say they are, but also immensely fun, super smart and if they like you they will show you.
I had one who would pick Grapes and feed them too me, I would be low down cleaning his bowl and his shit ;) and I would feel him climb on my back onto my shoulders and than gently feed me the grape :)
He died later on and that was the first time I was crying when I worked in the zoo. I really liked him.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 02:52:03 AM »
Nordic you get that bro? lol who want's cows?

lol yeah, I didn't really expected exotic lifestock to be included in the discussion!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
is there a parrot that is either all black or all red w/ white eyes?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »
is there a parrot that is either all black or all red w/ white eyes?

how big?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
macaw, african grey size

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
macaw, african grey size
Are you thinking of a mynah bird? They can be that color and are good talkers. They aren't parrots though. 

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
I had two sugar gliders for close to 7 years.  Even built them a 6.5 ft. tall cage...they require a lot of room.  Here are a few pics if ye've never seen one.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »
I had two sugar gliders for close to 7 years.  Even built them a 6.5 ft. tall cage...they require a lot of room.  Here are a few pics if ye've never seen one.

Did you enjoy them I about bought some the other day.. I just haven't owned one and thought they were cute little guys...

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 09:49:49 AM »

Is it true the males like to whiz out the bars of the cage?  lol 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
I can see my dog chasing that thing all over the house.

Have you ever seen the movie "Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »
Is it true the males like to whiz out the bars of the cage?  lol 

Yeah....   I've had soem seriously weird encounters with sugar glider owners---like so freaky weird you can't believe them.

I do think chinchillas are worse though for making a mess outside of their cage.  I pet sat for a client with a male chinchilla when I was in my residency.  I put his cage up on the nightstand at the foot of my bed becuase the owners told me he "liked to look around".   Well, it lasted until I woke up one ngiht to the little bastard pissing on my feet.   He'd hung his chinchillahood out the side of the cage and was just spraying away at my bare sleeping feet. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »
Yeah....   I've had soem seriously weird encounters with sugar glider owners---like so freaky weird you can't believe them.

I do think chinchillas are worse though for making a mess outside of their cage.  I pet sat for a client with a male chinchilla when I was in my residency.  I put his cage up on the nightstand at the foot of my bed becuase the owners told me he "liked to look around".   Well, it lasted until I woke up one ngiht to the little bastard pissing on my feet.   He'd hung his chinchillahood out the side of the cage and was just spraying away at my bare sleeping feet. 

Yeah, I used to have a couple of them.

Mine never did that unless you scared, spooked, or pissed them off (litterly).

Not sure if it was a defence mechanism.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »
Did you enjoy them I about bought some the other day.. I just haven't owned one and thought they were cute little guys...

Yea, I enjoyed them immensely.  You have to buy at least two of them, or if you are going to buy just one, be prepared to spend all your time with it as they tend to die of loneliness.  Yes, the male did at least, likes to piss on the outside of the bars and shit on your hand.  They are also very noisy and make some very interesting sounds...at night they make a loud barking sound like tiny puppies.  They also make a sound like a loud electric pencil sharpener when they get irritated or disturbed.  I used to go to the store sometimes with both of them in a pouch tied around my neck and would get a small crowd of folks whenever the gliders made that sound.  They also make a loud hissing sound sometimes too.

They are pretty friendly, so long as they are handled.  I've been bitten by them a few times though and it HURTS.  It will break the skin.  They just require some time outside the cage once a day and need a very large cage.  Its cheaper to just build it(I bought all the supplies for less than 50 bucks).  They are also nocturnal, and require an enclosure that blocks almost all light out for when they sleep.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2007, 08:37:24 AM »
Yea, I enjoyed them immensely.  You have to buy at least two of them, or if you are going to buy just one, be prepared to spend all your time with it as they tend to die of loneliness.  Yes, the male did at least, likes to piss on the outside of the bars and shit on your hand.  They are also very noisy and make some very interesting sounds...at night they make a loud barking sound like tiny puppies.  They also make a sound like a loud electric pencil sharpener when they get irritated or disturbed.  I used to go to the store sometimes with both of them in a pouch tied around my neck and would get a small crowd of folks whenever the gliders made that sound.  They also make a loud hissing sound sometimes too.

They are pretty friendly, so long as they are handled.  I've been bitten by them a few times though and it HURTS.  It will break the skin.  They just require some time outside the cage once a day and need a very large cage.  Its cheaper to just build it(I bought all the supplies for less than 50 bucks).  They are also nocturnal, and require an enclosure that blocks almost all light out for when they sleep.

F U CK THAT!!!!!!!! And you said that they were fun to own.....  :-X :-X :-X I think I am gonna look down the road of getting a lizard again...

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »
F U CK THAT!!!!!!!! And you said that they were fun to own.....  :-X :-X :-X I think I am gonna look down the road of getting a lizard again...

LOL!!! I almost got a couple a looooong time ago, I went with ferrets since I had had them previously.