Author Topic: Bill O Reilly makes racially insensitive comments  (Read 3798 times)

kh300

• Getbig V
Re: Bill O Reilly makes racially insensitive comments
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
 i know exactly what he's talking about..

my favorite resteraunt is dinosaur bbq in harlem.. when i was a kid, no way in hell i could walk into a bbq place in harlem.. but when i go there now theres people of all cultures. i grew up near frankie and johnies. an italian resteraunt, and no way in hell would you see a black person in there.. but now you do. and both places are run the same.. everyone is treated the same..

i think he was just pointing out that there isnt as much of a difference in our cultures as there used to be.  pointing out differences in people isnt racism..

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
No offense but why wouldn't you expect residents of Harlem to behave differently than those in other areas.  From what I know about it, it is a lower socioeconomic and social class of people with lower education and more likely to act in a certain way.  That isn't racism.  It's like O'Reilly saying he expected a woman at a southern restaurant to say "Ya'll" and speak with a thick Southern drawl.
This post broke the stupid meter. I usually try to be a little more diplomatic, but
 ::)

This is because you are just as ignorant as O'reilly. And make no mistake, it is ignorance. Other than absolute, unadulterated stupidity, there is no reason to be shocked that blacks don't order food by calling the waitress a "mother fucker" or that blacks can make it through dinner without a disturbance. Even if he doesn't spend much time around blacks, the fact that he would be surprised enough to comment on this shows a remarkable amount of stupidity on his part.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »
This post broke the stupid meter. I usually try to be a little more diplomatic, but

This is because you are just as ignorant as O'reilly. And make no mistake, it is ignorance. Other than absolute, unadulterated stupidity, there is no reason to be shocked that blacks don't order food by calling the waitress a "mother fucker" or that blacks can make it through dinner without a disturbance. Even if he doesn't spend much time around blacks, the fact that he would be surprised enough to comment on this shows a remarkable amount of stupidity on his part.
I think I struck a nerve here.  Harlem blacks, as a general norm, would not behave the same as blacks in other areas, such as Manhattan.  The same could be said about those in Watts as compared to Beverly Hills or Camden when compared to Philly (yes, two different states).  Why is a black person's response to an OPINION about a person's subjective and often objective world automatically ignorance.  Some of what he said is hyperbole for ratings but I see the products of ghetto culture on a daily basis and there is nothing ignorant about it.  I bet when you think about the deep south, NY, NJ, etc you have specific schemas that allow you to understand that world or you have a framework to conceptualize THAT world, outside of your own.  Some of what you know is untrue but the majority is true.  However, when these assumptions are made about black people they are automatically racist.  Why?  Because the truth hurts when it's directed at yourself and not other people.  I bet plenty of blacks make fun of Jose and his 10 children driving a Chevy Astro fan ordering their hamborgesa con queso or when Cletus and Maybelle remind you of the Clampets, or they way Mr. Wong sells them 40's of malt liquor at the corner shop on Crenshaw.  Enjoy my "stupid" posts and take a whiff of reality.
Squishy face retard

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »

i dont think thats what o'reilly was talking about.. this is a millionaire whos used to 5 star resteraunts in manhattan.. and when he went to harlem, which is very poor, with very poor restaurants, he was surprised he got the same service as other resteraunts.. he was simply pointing out that the area, and the people in the area are getting better.

do you think you'll get the same service at a restaurant in a poor area, as you would in a wealthy one? if not, then your the ignorant one..

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 05:06:46 PM »
I think I struck a nerve here.  Harlem blacks, as a general norm, would not behave the same as blacks in other areas, such as Manhattan.  The same could be said about those in Watts as compared to Beverly Hills or Camden when compared to Philly (yes, two different states).  Why is a black person's response to an OPINION about a person's subjective and often objective world automatically ignorance.  Some of what he said is hyperbole for ratings but I see the products of ghetto culture on a daily basis and there is nothing ignorant about it.  I bet when you think about the deep south, NY, NJ, etc you have specific schemas that allow you to understand that world or you have a framework to conceptualize THAT world, outside of your own.  Some of what you know is untrue but the majority is true.  However, when these assumptions are made about black people they are automatically racist.  Why?  Because the truth hurts when it's directed at yourself and not other people.  I bet plenty of blacks make fun of Jose and his 10 children driving a Chevy Astro fan ordering their hamborgesa con queso or when Cletus and Maybelle remind you of the Clampets, or they way Mr. Wong sells them 40's of malt liquor at the corner shop on Crenshaw.  Enjoy my "stupid" posts and take a whiff of reality.

First of all, Harlem is IN Manhattan. Secondly, I lived in Harlem during college and a few years afterwards. Now I live on the UES. The same type of blacks that live  further downtown live uptown. Harlem is not uniformly poor (there are actually many millionaires in the area and real estate is doing quite well in a lot of areas) or low class just as  the rest of Manhattan is not uniformly rich  or high class.

I had virtually this same debate with Camel Jockey just a few weeks ago and I'm not going to repost everything I wrote then. He claimed that the blacks in HARLEM were different than the blacks everywhere else in the city, so any positive experience I had there was out of the ordinary. I guess it's easier for some people to question reality than to re-evaluate their personally held prejudices.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 05:10:24 PM »
i dont think thats what o'reilly was talking about.. this is a millionaire whos used to 5 star resteraunts in manhattan.. and when he went to harlem, which is very poor, with very poor restaurants, he was surprised he got the same service as other resteraunts.. he was simply pointing out that the area, and the people in the area are getting better.

do you think you'll get the same service at a restaurant in a poor area, as you would in a wealthy one? if not, then your the ignorant one..

You're completely twisting what he said into something different.

He made his point perfectly clear. He used other examples in that discussion. He talked about going to an Anita Baker concert and being impressed that the blacks dressed nice. He's an idiot.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »
First of all, Harlem is IN Manhattan. Secondly, I lived in Harlem during college and a few years afterwards. Now I live on the UES. The same type of blacks that live  further downtown live uptown. Harlem is not uniformly poor (there are actually many millionaires in the area and real estate is doing quite well in a lot of areas) or low class just as  the rest of Manhattan is not uniformly rich  or high class.

I had virtually this same debate with Camel Jockey just a few weeks ago and I'm not going to repost everything I wrote then. He claimed that the blacks in HARLEM were different than the blacks everywhere else in the city, so any positive experience I had there was out of the ordinary. I guess it's easier for some people to question reality than to re-evaluate their personally held prejudices.

Well I guess I'll take you at your word...number 2.  Prejudice has nothing to do with it, no matter what you might think.  O'Reilly's comments are based on REAL occurences and expectations.  A person of his stature would think the same thing about various parts of Georgia, Los Angeles, NJ, etc. 
Squishy face retard

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »

OReilly:
"There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' "

Mother fccker, I want some iced tea."

Bill OReilly was surprised that he didn't hear this comment.

If you consider this normal...

"Mother fccker,  I want some iced tea".

Say it out loud.  It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

"Mother fccker,  I want some iced tea".

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 11:01:53 PM »
wtf he said M-fer on TV  :o

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
Bill O'Reilly is huge and ripped.... :o
I hate the State.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 08:21:39 AM »
He obviously needs to get out more. I have never been to a "black" establishment, with primarily black patronage and heard people cursing and being ignorant. And went to school in Baltimore live outside of DC (aka Chocolate City). Any establishment white or black, would not get kudos due to word of mouth.

Seems like O'rielly either watches too much MTV or BET (you know he likes looking at those big booty chicks) and believes all that crap, or he's been watching too many 70's blaxploitation flicks

That's key.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:10 AM »

You've said a lot of junk on the boards in your time here, but you absolutely nailed it with this post.

Well done - you're spot-on.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 08:26:39 AM »

When I go to Waffle House, I expect a different level of decorum from the patrons than I do when I go to Morton's.  In reality, what I observe is not that different, but my expectations are.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »

What O'Reilly acknowledged is that a LARGE SEGMENT of White America expects bad behavior from Blacks.  He knows that position is racist and his statement was decrying racism from THAT point-of-view.   

In regards to the "m-f'er" remark, it's entirely possible that he had just viewed this clip, currently making the YouTube rounds:

"WHY DA FUCK I GOTTA TIP ??"

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »
What O'Reilly acknowledged is that a LARGE SEGMENT of White America expects bad behavior from Blacks.  He knows that position is racist and his statement was decrying racism from THAT point-of-view.   

This post is accurate.Your previous post praising  cap86's insight is not.

I was talking to a (white) co-worker this morning and he changed my mind on what O'Reilly had to say. After re-reading the transcript, I have to admit,I took what he said out of context. WTF, indeed.

The thing is, O'Reilly's quotes just reinforce how wrong cap86 is on this issue.  The gist of his post is that people give stereotypes credence because they're true. The purpose of O'Reilly's rant is to CHALLENGE stereotypes. He asserts (accurately) that someone who holds the views 86 holds probably doesn't have enough real world experience to know what they are talking about. O'Reilly's point is actually closer to the points I was trying to make.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »

In regards to the "m-f'er" remark, it's entirely possible that he had just viewed this clip, currently making the YouTube rounds:

"WHY DA FUCK I GOTTA TIP ??"

Bwwaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa aahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

Of course there's at least one kid crying in the background and she's talking like a ghetto whore and pulling down her pants.

I've got about 6 years experience in the restaurant business and in my experience 99% of blacks do not tip.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 05:50:13 PM »
Only 60% of OReilly's own website visitors support him on this one.

Every news outlet in the nation has covered this.

His response?  "I wont dignify them with a response", then he's devoted two segments of his show each night, to do exactly that, attack them for saying his words were wrong.

OReilly has said a lot of idiotic, inconsistent things.  I think this one might cost him big time. 

"Mother Fvcker, I want some Iced Tea."

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 05:54:10 PM »
Only 60% of OReilly's own website visitors support him on this one.

Looks like the majority to me

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »
Looks like the majority to me

the point was that he has been asking his viewers all day to visit his website and show their support by voting for him.  If only 60% of his own viewers support him, I am guessing a smaller % of his sponsors feel that way.