Author Topic: MMA/Fighting news-thread!  (Read 37644 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: MMA/Fighting news-thread!
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2007, 04:05:35 PM »
"Some guys fight over women. Nick Thompson became a fighter just to impress one.

"A few years ago I went to see a mixed martial arts show with my new girlfriend," recalls the Minnesotan. "I wrestled a little bit in college so to try and impress her I told her I could do MMA. I started training the next week. I was awful, but I was hooked."

Thompson was, in fact, so awful he was nicknamed "The Fainting Goat" for his unfortunate resemblance to an animal notorious for losing consciousness when frightened. Knocked out in his first pro fight by journeyman Dan Hart, Thompson would go on to lose three of his first four bouts.

One of those early defeats came at the hands of Florida's Dustin "Clean" Denes, who again provides the opposition as the two square off Tuesday, October 23 at 9 p.m. and midnight EST when Bodog Fight: Costa Rica Combat continues in Canada on The Score Television Network.

However, Denes (12-3-3) will face a much different Thompson this time around.

The man now known only as "The Goat" rebounded from his early missteps to amass a record of 31-9-1 en route to becoming the new Bodog Fight Welterweight Champion. Thompson's stunning knockout upset of formerly undefeated champ Eddie Alvarez (9-1) at Bodog Fight: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Lindland in St. Petersburg, Russia last April is also featured on this episode.

One last thing in case you were wondering: The girlfriend Thompson fought to impress? She's now his fiancé. "
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2007, 03:03:54 AM »
Chute Boxe veteran Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos (15-10) has pulled out of Dec. 1’s Cage Rage 24 “Feel the Pain” event due to issues with his weight, according to Cage Rage promoters Andy Geer and Dave O’Donnell. Santos was to have faced British light heavyweight Paul Cahoon (8-10). The PRIDE veteran will return to the London-based promotion in March, as a middleweight. Santos is coming off a loss to former Cage Rage World light heavyweight champion James Zikic (15-5-2) at Cage Rage 21 last April.

In Santos’ place, Geer and O’Donnell have secured Australian Elvis “The King of Rock n Rumble” Sinosic (8-10-2) to face Cahoon.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2007, 03:07:05 AM »
“Dangerous” Dan Henderson Comes to Las Vegas NHRA Nationals Representing Endothil-CR and Oxydrene

It’s the perfect combination: the speed and power of a 7000+ horsepower top fuel dragster and the quickness and strength of mixed martial arts champion “Dangerous” Dan Henderson. Both will be in Las Vegas at the NHRA Nationals October 27-28 representing Endothil®-CR and Oxydrene®, the next-generation supplements that are helping today’s athletes get quicker, tougher and stronger.

Henderson recently became the spokesperson for Endothil-CR and Oxydrene, signing a one-year contract with the product’s manufacturer, Novex Biotech®.

“I use Endothil and Oxydrene to get the most out of my training sessions, so being their spokesperson was a no-brainer for me,” said Henderson. “But when they told me I would be linking up with the company’s top fuel dragster in Las Vegas, I was thrilled. I love drag racing. It’s so much like MMA �" the controlled power, the quick reflexes. I’ll feel right at home on the track.”

Novex Biotech joined the drag racing circuit a few years ago, selecting “Aussie” Dave Grubnic to drive the Endothil-CR/Oxydrene top-fuel dragster.
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2007, 08:15:45 AM »
“Dangerous” Dan Henderson Comes to Las Vegas NHRA Nationals Representing Endothil-CR and Oxydrene

It’s the perfect combination: the speed and power of a 7000+ horsepower top fuel dragster and the quickness and strength of mixed martial arts champion “Dangerous” Dan Henderson. Both will be in Las Vegas at the NHRA Nationals October 27-28 representing Endothil®-CR and Oxydrene®, the next-generation supplements that are helping today’s athletes get quicker, tougher and stronger.

Henderson recently became the spokesperson for Endothil-CR and Oxydrene, signing a one-year contract with the product’s manufacturer, Novex Biotech®.

“I use Endothil and Oxydrene to get the most out of my training sessions, so being their spokesperson was a no-brainer for me,” said Henderson. “But when they told me I would be linking up with the company’s top fuel dragster in Las Vegas, I was thrilled. I love drag racing. It’s so much like MMA �" the controlled power, the quick reflexes. I’ll feel right at home on the track.”

Novex Biotech joined the drag racing circuit a few years ago, selecting “Aussie” Dave Grubnic to drive the Endothil-CR/Oxydrene top-fuel dragster.

Please no advertising.. No one wants to read spam thanks..

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »
"Tito Ortiz to appear on Apprentice ‘Celebrity’ with Donald Trump"
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
The following is the current OFFICIAL fight card for the November 10th EliteXC "Renegade" card, airing on the Showtime premium cable network:

-Nick Diaz vs. K.J. Noons (EXC LW Title)
-Kimbo Slice vs. Mike Bourke
-Jake Shields vs. Mike Pyle
-Seth Kleinbeck vs. Kyle Noke
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
"Former Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight champion Carlos Newton will return to action against Dong Sik Yoon at the "Olympia Hero's 2007 in Korea" event on Oct. 28.

Newton was suppose to fight Melvin Manhoef in June, but withdrew due to injury. Dong Sik Yoon stepped in and pulled off a spectacular upset defeating the dangerous striker by armbar in a back and forth war. "
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2007, 07:43:07 PM »
Ken Shamrock is looking for additional fighters and announced that he would be holding open tryouts on Oct. 25 for any interested mixed martial artists.

Head coach of the Nevada Lions of the International Fight League, Shamrock is looking for eight athletes for that team for the upcoming 2008 season, as well as for new additions to his own fight team, The Lion’s Den.

Tryouts will be held at The Stadium Sport and Fitness Club in Reno, Nevada. They will consist of several drills and sparring in the various MMA disciplines.

For further information, contact Lance Foreman at 530-252-8071 or email at foremanx5@yahoo.com.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2007, 07:42:32 AM »
babalu seminar
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »
"Rich Franklin will be undergoing surgery, I believe today, for a broken nose suffered Saturday night in the Anderson Silva fight. "
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
FREEDOM FIGHT 2008 LIVE
ROBERT GUERTIN ARENA �" HULL, QUEBEC
SATURDAY JANUARY 26TH, 2008

Tickets on sale now at www.ticketmaster.ca or call 613-755-1111

Ottawa, Ontario (Canada) �" Freedom Fight Productions returns to the national capital region with its popular MMA brand and the extreme aggression that fans have come to expect. The live action is set to take place on Saturday, January 26th, 2008 at the Robert Guertin Arena �" Hull, Quebec just minutes from downtown Ottawa. 2008 marks the fourth annual MMA event delivered by Freedom Fight Productions to the Ottawa / Hull area and this year’s event promises to be the most explosive and exciting show to date. Fans can expect to see some of the most skilled and successful athletes from past Freedom Fight events as well as fighters from joint ventures with King of the Cage Canada. This year we will see undefeated fighters put it on the line, veterans of past Freedom Fight events making their return, a clash between an accomplished Thai fighting champion from Ontario and the Thai coach from the legendary Chute Boxe team. The 2008 edition of Freedom Fight will also introduce Freedom Fight’s very first “David vs. Goliath” competition, an exciting concept that’s derived from the early days of MMA, and takes extreme fighting to a whole new level.

Get your tickets today by visiting WWW.TICKETMASTER.CA or call 613-755-1111

This years teams:

TEAM BRUCKMANN MMA (Oshawa, ON.), F.I.T MMA (Ottawa, ON),
FRANCO BEHRING MMA (Toronto ON), OTTAWA ACADEMY OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (Ottawa ON.) SUFFER SYSTEM (London ON.),
TEAM SHREDDER (Sudbury, ON.), TORONTO BJJ (Toronto, ON),
SUDBURY BJJ (Sudbury, ON), IRON TIGER MUAY THAI, (Stoney Creek, ON), KEN BU KAN MMA (Sudbury, ON), ULTIMATE MMA FIGHT TEAM (Scarborough, ON), TAPSTAR MMA (Toronto, ON), CHUTE BOXE ACADEMY (Brazil)

MAIN EVENTS

Craig “Farmer” Brown vs. John “The Animal” Cole
Light heavyweight (205 lbs)

Local athlete and Freedom Fight veteran Craig Brown, made his MMA debut in 2003 with an impressive victory from strikes. “Farmer” then went on to win 2 consecutive Freedom Fight events: Freedom Fight 2005 saw Brown win his bout against Ricardo Francois by BRUTAL knock out and Freedom Fight 2006 where he TKO’D American John Clarke in 2 minutes 21 seconds of round 1. John “The Animal” Cole has shown the MMA world he’s a force to be reckoned; his first victory was accomplished in 22 seconds of the first round, he then went on to score a hard earned win against the rugged Jason Bissonnette last March. Cole’s most recent win was in a bout against Pete Rogers and ended by TKO in round 1. The ANIMAL and THE FARMER is a fight NOT to be missed!!!

Stephan Lamarche vs. Dan Grandmaison
Welter Weight (170 lbs)

Ottawa’s undefeated soldier Stephan Lamarche who represents F.I.T MMA exploded onto the MMA scene in 2006 where he won his bout in just 53 seconds by TKO. 2007 has been a fantastic year for Lamarche winning 3 consecutive bouts, starting in January, at KOTC �" Freedom Fight 2007 where he won his bout against Garret Vernoy. Two months later he went on to submit Cujo White by rear naked choke and in July Lamarche beat Nova Scotian Jeff Evely by once again sinking in a rear naked choke.
Dan “The Bighouse” Grandmaison (Sudbury ON.) from team Shredder made his first Freedom Fight appearance in 2006 where he defeated Nick Castiglia by TKO since then Grandmaison has built his MMA record to 4-3, with his most recent win at UCW 9 (Ultimate Cage Wars), where he faced off with Neil Berry and sealed success with a massive knock out in round 2.

Jeff Harrison vs. Mauricio Veio
Light Weight (155 lbs)

Fans of the striking arts will be in heaven when one of Ontario’s most decorated Thai fighters Jeff Harrison faces Mauricio Veio of the famed Chute Boxe Academy in Brazil. Harrison is the head coach of the 519 Fight Factory while Veio is the Thai coach for Chute Boxe and most recently Toronto BJJ. Both of these athletes are excited to fight an opponent who wants to go in there and bang and the fans at Freedom Fight 2008 will reap the rewards of these 2 stepping in the ring together.

FREEDOM FIGHT PRESENTS
“DAVID VS. GOLIATH”

Find out who prevails live, as 400 pound Jason L’heureux (Barrie Ont.), an MMA student under the direction of the legendary Gary Goodridge squares-off with the 230 lbs Ilya Woronowski (Toronto, Ont.), who defeated his opponent Sean Thompson at TKO 30: Apocalypse by submission (rear naked choke), Woronowski is a student of Sam Zakula of Tapstar MMA. Jason is confident that his size mixed with the tools that BIG DADDY has passed onto him will be enough to earn a victory in his MMA debut. The question is CAN THE RING CONTAIN THIS MMA EXPLOSION?

Also appearing:

(155 lbs) Mark “Boots” Holste vs. Derek Giroux
(205 lbs) Jason Bissonnette vs. Jon Christink
(155 lbs) Jean Marc “The Shark” Lalonde vs. Rick Bawden
(155 lbs) Brett “The Big Picture” Portieous vs. Barry “Mackdaddy Flexxx” Macdonald
(185 lbs) Markhaile “Showtime” Wedderburn vs. Trevor Zeigler
(170 lbs) Nick “The Lunatic” Portieous vs. Eric Muir
(145 lbs) Ian Dawe vs. Todd Wood
(145 lbs) Jefferson Alverez vs. Tony Legnaro
(225 lbs) Michel Aubin vs. Andre Desrochers
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »
"At a press conference in Tokyo Tuesday, FEG president Sadaharu Tanigawa officially announced that two of MMA's most legendary figures, Kazushi Sakuraba and Masakatsu Funaki, would square off at K-1 Premium 2007 Dynamite!! on Dec. 31 at the Kyocera Dome in Osaka. The bout is the first bout added to the line-up for Dynamite!! "
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
"Dean Lister, one of the top grapplers in the world, confirmed that he is returning to mixed martial arts competition and the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Dec. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. He will face Jordan Radev in a middleweight bout."
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
"Dean Lister, one of the top grapplers in the world, confirmed that he is returning to mixed martial arts competition and the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Dec. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. He will face Jordan Radev in a middleweight bout."

Posted this a while ago

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »
Z

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »
This thread should be fired!! :-[
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »
"Filho is a world-class fighter with a 15-0 professional record. He has fought all over the world, including the now-defunct Pride Fighting Championships in Japan. Filho recently defeated Joe Doerksen for the WEC middleweight title and will make his first defense Dec. 12 in Las Vegas against Frank "Twinkletoes" Trigg. "
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2007, 02:48:37 PM »
"The following is the final official fight card for the December 1st-scheduled Cage Rage 24 "Feel The Pain" card from London, England:

-Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Xavier Foupa Pokam
-Drew Fickett vs. Mark Weir
-Elvis Sinosic vs. Paul Cahoon
-Robert Berry vs. Neil Grove
-Ross Pointon vs. Marios Zaromskis
-Mark Epstein vs. Tom Watson
-Brad Pickett vs. Ronnie Mann
-Dave Legeno vs. George Castro
-Lee Hasdell vs. Ivan Serati
-Abdul Mohamed vs. Robbie Oliver
-James McSweeney vs. Robert Paczkow "
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:59 AM »
A shoulder injury has forced Pennsylvanian Jon Murphy to withdraw from his heavyweight bout against James Thompson at EliteXC “Renegade” Saturday, Nov. 10 at the America Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas, according to his manager, Ed Hsu.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2007, 11:31:38 AM »
Sean Salmon:

Next up, I have been given permission to announce that I will be fighting Jason “Mayhem” Miller on the Dec. 15 HDNet Fights card.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2007, 03:18:42 PM »
ufc and spikes deal until 2011

• Seasons 9 through 12 of the highly successful reality series, “The Ultimate Fighter®.” The first five seasons of “The Ultimate Fighter” on Spike TV were seen by 93 million viewers. *

• 12 live fight cards, “UFC® Fight Nights™,” hosted by Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg. Spike TV will telecast four per year.

• Two seasons of a new, weekly live fight series (details to be announced at a later date).

• 39 one-hour episodes of “UFC® Unleashed™,” hosted by Mike Goldberg, featuring the greatest fights in the history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, many of them never seen before on basic cable. Spike TV will run 13 per year in ‘09, ’10, and ’11.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2007, 02:59:40 PM »
In the warm yet windy climes of an Auckland spring, the man rumored to be stepping into a cage with Fedor Emelianenko, arguably the best MMA fighter at present, on a M-1 Global card come next February; melted to the reception he received on New Zealand soil.

The "Snowman" Jeff Monson, full of praise during in an interview with Roguemag.com, cited the "very good possibility of fighting the Russian" and also said he is "in the process of working through things with M-1."
Z

nuyork143

• Getbig III
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »
In the warm yet windy climes of an Auckland spring, the man rumored to be stepping into a cage with Fedor Emelianenko, arguably the best MMA fighter at present, on a M-1 Global card come next February; melted to the reception he received on New Zealand soil.

The "Snowman" Jeff Monson, full of praise during in an interview with Roguemag.com, cited the "very good possibility of fighting the Russian" and also said he is "in the process of working through things with M-1."

If its true Monson is gonna get his ass handed to him.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2007, 07:06:48 PM »
"UFC 80: Kendall Grove likely to fight in Newcastle, England"
Z

nuyork143

• Getbig III
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2007, 07:11:33 PM »
"UFC 80: Kendall Grove likely to fight in Newcastle, England"

I like Kendall, sucked to watch him get beatdown like that the last time he was in the land of the Limey!