Author Topic: Walter Marcyan 1913-2007 early machine proponent  (Read 3034 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Walter Marcyan 1913-2007 early machine proponent
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:57:42 AM »
Walter Marcyan, 94, a Muscle Beach bodybuilder who developed an early multi-station weightlifting machine that helped popularize working out at the gym, died of complications related to old age on Sept. 6 at his Escondido home, his family said.

First manufactured in the 1960s, Marcyan's machine "played a huge role in making gyms a little more friendly to the average man or woman who wanted to train," said Terry Todd, a fitness historian and kinesiology professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

Marcyan's version of the universal weightlifting machine enabled users to do more complicated workouts, Todd said.

Marcyan's company, Marcy Fitness Products, became a leading manufacturer of gym equipment in the 1970s, said Tom Lincir, founder of Ivanko Barbell Co. in San Pedro.

Born in 1913 in Chicago, Marcyan performed hand-balancing acts in the 1940s at Santa Monica's Muscle Beach. He was also a competitive bodybuilder and weightlifter who won the "best arms" trophy in the 1948 Mr. America contest at the Shrine Auditorium.

In 1946, Marcyan opened the House of Health, the first of his seven Los Angeles-area gyms, and began manufacturing exercise benches and machines. After becoming a chiropractor in 1965, he developed machines for professional use.

Betty, his wife of 51 years, had been in failing health and died one day before her husband. She was 87.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Walter Marcyan 1913-2007 early machine proponent
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »
Did not know who Marcyan was so got in touch with two old time BB'ing vet's of that era, my two uncles. He was known as Walt Marcy than, for all general purposes. This man did so much for exercise equipment and machines that you might say he was the grand daddy of it all. Way before the huckster Weider copied most of Marcy's ideas. Paramount BB  was another main company of that time in L.A. but Marcy made the better made equipment by far. Just another forgotten pioneer in early  BB'ing history.

When they were young, my uncles use to pick up extra plates at Marcy's Sunset Blvd gym/store in the Silver Lake distract of L.A..  Could have a workout for a  couple of dollars, as a walk in then. No contracts, signing your life away, lawyers, etc. Just come in, pay for the day and have a friendly workout. The good old days I guess. Marcy use to go to just about every BB'ing show at that time and was always well dressed, suit and tie. And always had a different young hottie on his arm. Article said he was married for 51 years so maybe that was before the present MRS.  Anyway, another giant in the sport who was overshadowed by the  Weider bros.

Did not know he had live by me in Escondido, as Reeves had. Never know who you neighbors really are.
F