Author Topic: Clarence Thomas: Abortion Was Real Issue  (Read 2616 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Clarence Thomas: Abortion Was Real Issue
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 01:10:26 PM »
Those men are articulate and flirt with brilliance in their opinions.  They are also opposed philosophically.  I have read some of Thomas's work and he is not a great writer/thinker.

Understood.  In listening to him on Sunday, I'd say he is very articulate and very smart.  Cannot comment on his writing, but I'll take your word for it.  Maybe he's just a lousy writer?  I know people like that (great speaker, terrible writer or vise versa).   

Thomas may not be as smart as Scalia or Breyer (I don't know), but there is always a range of talent in every profession, court, school, etc. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 09:10:26 AM »
Anita Hill: Thomas' Book Is Beneath the Court

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 2:34 PM

Anita Hill is firing back at Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' portrayal of her in his new book, saying he mischaracterizes her in a way that is "beneath the Court."

"It's very typical of how people who are charged with workplace misconduct respond," she says in a New York Times podcast posted on the newspaper's Web site Wednesday. "It's particularly troublesome, however, when it's done by a Supreme Court justice."

The justice's account, she charges, is rife with inconsistencies.

"He's writing this in an effort to vindicate himself personally," she says. "But in doing so he's sending the message that this is how you respond to a complaint: Instead of dealing in fact, you deal in mischaracterization, and smear, and innuendo."

Specifically, Hill says she was not the liberal extremist Thomas suggests.

"I don't think any combative left winger would have survived at all in the Reagan administration," she says.

She also rejects the notion that she was a mediocre employee who was less than fully qualified for her position, and points out that she graduated from Yale, the same law school Thomas attended.

In his autobiography "My Grandfather's Son," Thomas writes at length about Hill, whose allegations nearly derailed his nomination to the high court in 1991.

Thomas, Hill says, is "trying to reinvent me."

"I don't know why he feels the need to vindicate himself," she says, "but I think that's what he is trying to do. But he does it in a way that is beneath the Court, and it is really beneath anyone who would be a competent arbiter of the truth, because he doesn't present any facts to support what he says."

Hill, a law professor at Brandeis University, adds that the book "sends the wrong message."

She tells The New York Times that the way she is portrayed in Thomas' book may discourage victims of sexual harassment from coming forward.

"I hope by speaking out, the message that we take away is that even if very powerful people try to destroy you, it is worth your dignity to defend your rights," she said in the podcast.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/clarence_thomas_book/2007/10/03/37800.html

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
I think Thomas is right:  the entire issue was really about abortion and whether he would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.  That continues to be the single most important issue in the supreme court nomination process. 

Which is ridiculous.

Abortion should be a total non-issue, but the system (of which religion is an active part) keeps our country dumbed down to the point that we fight like little bitches over something that means next to nothing. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 02:09:04 PM »
Which is ridiculous.

Abortion should be a total non-issue, but the system (of which religion is an active part) keeps our country dumbed down to the point that we fight like little bitches over something that means next to nothing. 

Arguably the most hot button issue in politics.  I've always agreed with Barbara Bush who said abortion shouldn't be a political issue, but I'm just not sure how it can't be. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:43 AM »
You throw a stick and the dog will go get it. But in terms of history, there were those blacks that aligned themselves with whites, not because they disagreed with "the black collective" as some have called it, but due to the fact they liked being subservant out of fear and a belief that massa is right. AN example would be those slaves that fought along side their masters in the Civil War.

He's always had that air about him of having a dog chain around his neck. It's in his eyes, his demeanor. Like he just ran a marathon. Whereas the other justices do not. I've always wondered, what is eating at him so much.

That too is what gets me.

I thought it was just me who got that feel off the man.
w