Author Topic: Is $1,000 worth something in investments?  (Read 6996 times)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: Is $1,000 worth something in investments?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »
ING Direct is paying 4.3%.  The advantage is that you can transfer funds between your checking and this savings account so you're not tied into any investment in case you need liquidity.   This is probably your best bet since you don't have that much to put away and you know very little about investing.

http://home.ingdirect.com/

Or..... alternatively you could just blow it on your next cycle. 

4.3 is yesterdays for sure  :-)

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »
Donate the money to Mr. Getbig 3.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
Yes it is . . . A young man / woman can open a solid Mutual fund account and take an aggressive position ( an adj used to define the length of time one will be in the market. ) With monthly contributions of as little $50. dollars, in 30 years that person could receive monthly payments of $8,000 dollars or more  . ANY WELL RUN MF CAN EARN 10 TO 12% AND AT 12% YOUR BALANCE WOULD DOUBLE EVERY 6 YEARS!!!

Think about the effects of dollar cost averaging ( put your money in frequently . . . $12.50 per week on the min of $50, if possible )  and one can do very well for themselves.

The Beef

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 08:17:13 AM »
I don't know anything about investing, but I'm expecting to soon receive a check from financial aid that could be worth over a thousand bucks, and I wonder if I could multiply that with a jackpot of an investment. This financial aid check is found money to me. I can do whatever I want with it. And so why not make money with it? It's a decent wad.

Put the $1000 in a no-load mutual fund indexed to the S&P 500.  It's a simple, relatively safe investment with a reasonable long-term return for someone who knows nothing about investing and doesn't have the time or knowlege for active investing.

Are there ways to make a lot more?  Yes, but if you don't have the requisite knowledge (and most people don't, despite what some would have you believe), you're more likely to lose money than make any.
Ron: "I am lazy."

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
from what this dude wrote this money is coming from financial aid...and unless it's grant money it needs to be paid back..so dumping a thousand bucks in an ing account and making 40 bucks in interest for the year is pretty silly since he's probably paying between 8-11% interest on the loan...
footloose and fancy free

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »
from what this dude wrote this money is coming from financial aid...and unless it's grant money it needs to be paid back..so dumping a thousand bucks in an ing account and making 40 bucks in interest for the year is pretty silly since he's probably paying between 8-11% interest on the loan...

Actually student loans have a very low interest rate, but nevertheless, it would be retarded to invest borrowed money unless the interest gained was significantly greater than that of the loan.

Paul Allen

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 10:03:29 AM »
i'll one up you on the ING direct.

gmac has a money market with check writing that's at 4.95 , 5.something APY.

i've just in the last year started "investing" and saving seriously.

i set guidelines for myself on how much to invest.  i've reached my money market / CD goal and now will follow up with what goatboy suggested and put money away into mutual funds.

a good mutual fund if you so desire is the vanguard STAR fund, it's only 1000 to start!

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 10:52:38 AM »
If you're under 25, put the $1k in an agressive account, have $100 a month directly deposited into that account every month from one of your bank accounts, and you'll never have to worry about retirement. 

Or, if you have the extra cash to do it each month, take the $1k, put it in a less agressive investment, continue to add the $1k a month for 5 years or so.  Take that money, and purchase a home near a college.  You should be able to cover the full cost of the purchase for a small home.  Assuming you have a renter 70% of the time, you'll have around another $1k of extra cash each month that you can use for whatever. 
When the housing market comes back, you can sell the house and make some more extra cash.

Or, you can purchase a precontest diet plan from me at www.troponinnutrition.co m  ;)
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »
I would invest it in some steroids.  That sould be enough to get you ready for a local show and with the winnings should give you enough for some supplements and tanning oil.  Plus, you'd be able to tell people you compete.  So, I think it would be worth it. ;)
N

Paul Allen

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »
If you're under 25, put the $1k in an agressive account, have $100 a month directly deposited into that account every month from one of your bank accounts, and you'll never have to worry about retirement. 

Or, if you have the extra cash to do it each month, take the $1k, put it in a less agressive investment, continue to add the $1k a month for 5 years or so.  Take that money, and purchase a home near a college.  You should be able to cover the full cost of the purchase for a small home.  Assuming you have a renter 70% of the time, you'll have around another $1k of extra cash each month that you can use for whatever. 
When the housing market comes back, you can sell the house and make some more extra cash.

Or, you can purchase a precontest diet plan from me at www.troponinnutrition.co m  ;)

what's a 1k aggressive account?  i'll buy one and have them give you a referral bonus!   ;D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 11:11:06 AM »
I would invest it in some steroids.  That sould be enough to get you ready for a local show and with the winnings should give you enough for some supplements and tanning oil.  Plus, you'd be able to tell people you compete.  So, I think it would be worth it. ;)

all you need in life is one good drug deal.  do not become a drug user.  just be a dealer and be able to walk away once you've earned 10,000 cash.  buy a cheap house near a college like somebody said then rent it out.  10 grand will be enough for a down payment, some improvements and the insurance for a year. 

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
what's a 1k aggressive account?  i'll buy one and have them give you a referral bonus!   ;D

I'm not hip to the "wording" of accounts. 

I'd tell my investor that I want to start a long term investment with $1k, with an additional $100 added each month. 
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »
Seeing you guys talk about "investing" is like watching Brittney Spears try to give advice on engineering a space shuttle.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 12:08:08 PM »
buy AAPL

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 03:27:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  :D Yes, this is FOUND MONEY. I can do whatever I want with it and not have to return a cent. If spend it, I'll put half in savings for a car (which I'll probably get withing a year or so), I'll buy my own hydroponic garden for growing my own weed (and of course sell some since I'll have way too much for someone who smokes only once a day), a new VAPORIZER for smoking weed, no clothes since I'm way too good at stealing from macy's, $200 for a skydiving trip, $100 for psychedelic drugs (shrooms and DMT).

I'm pretty sure I'll be content with making those decisions.
~

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2007, 10:11:37 PM »

Aggression is a word that indicates you are in a position to ride the market for 20 yrs or more. If you're gonna retire tomorrow put your money in your pocket, 5 years from now, a savings account, 10 years a mutual fund with with a low aggressive profile. 20 or more years and you will be VERY WELL OFF!!!!!!!

The Beef knows Mutial funds . . . 43 been in from 16 ( saving from 9 ) over 1.4M.

The Beef

AllDrugs

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 10:21:47 PM »
Bet the farm on LSU at Kentucky tommorrow...

Bet the farm on Florida at Kentucky the week after that.

Your $1,000 would be $4,000 in 2 weeks.

Alex23

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:27 PM »
I don't know anything about investing, but I'm expecting to soon receive a check from financial aid that could be worth over a thousand bucks, and I wonder if I could multiply that with a jackpot of an investment. This financial aid check is found money to me. I can do whatever I want with it. And so why not make money with it? It's a decent wad.

You can make money with very small amounts figgs. That's my "play money" account. I started with 4k 2yrs ago, just for fun, off of my "real investments"... If I can do it, so can you.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
Aggression is a word that indicates you are in a position to ride the market for 20 yrs or more. If you're gonna retire tomorrow put your money in your pocket, 5 years from now, a savings account, 10 years a mutual fund with with a low aggressive profile. 20 or more years and you will be VERY WELL OFF!!!!!!!

The Beef knows Mutial funds . . . 43 been in from 16 ( saving from 9 ) over 1.4M.

The Beef

1- how much of the 1.4 million are you actually going to be able to spend? Its a fictional number. Capital gains tax is the lowest its been in god knows how many years under the bush administration( 15%) Do you thing that there is any chance this could go up?
2- what about the lost opportunity cost you have on the taxes that you pay from your account over the time that you have it. Every year the IRS gets a piece of paper from the MF company on how much you owe.
3-once you are in retirement, how do you plan on spending your money without running the chance of running out? Live off of the interest from a CD? Money market? Is there a chance that interest rates might fluctuate?
4- In the amount of time that you have until retirement, do you think there is a chance of an unforseen event happening? What if its the year before you decide to retire and another september 11 type event happens, and a third to a half of your account is wiped out. What do you do? Postpone retirement? Live off of less?

just some things to ponder the your fee based financial planners don't tell you about.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »
put everything into trusts so you own nothing and defer taxes to your yet to be born grandchildren and by that time your 1.4 will be 12.2

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »
put everything into trusts so you own nothing and defer taxes to your yet to be born grandchildren and by that time your 1.4 will be 12.2

deffering your taxes is a bad idea. Brackets change as different presidents come into office. Say whatever you want about bush and his policies, but the fact of the matter is bush # 1 and #2 have kept the national average tax brackets lower than the past 100 years.Thats why I dislike 401 ks so much...you are putting your money in when you are in a lower tax bracket, and withdrawing them when you are in a higher one.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2007, 09:52:45 PM »
deffering your taxes is a bad idea. Brackets change as different presidents come into office. Say whatever you want about bush and his policies, but the fact of the matter is bush # 1 and #2 have kept the national average tax brackets lower than the past 100 years.Thats why I dislike 401 ks so much...you are putting your money in when you are in a lower tax bracket, and withdrawing them when you are in a higher one.
thanks for you opinion but i like what i'm doing

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2007, 09:56:09 PM »
thanks for you opinion but i like what i'm doing

hey no problem...like you said, its just my opinion. At least you are doing something, and that is a lot more than what most people are doing. :)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2007, 10:35:10 PM »
hey no problem...like you said, its just my opinion. At least you are doing something, and that is a lot more than what most people are doing. :)

I save ALL my spare change.

"Got any spare change brother?" "Ya, get your own retirement fund ya stinkin bum!" HAHA OWNED

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »
yes, illegal drugs

I think this was the only "sound" advice, on how to actually invest.

Apply the role strain theory to yourself and the strong desire for money, you could become the next Tony Montana