Author Topic: Decent Article  (Read 4400 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Decent Article
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 04:54:02 PM »

you don't understand much about corporations and how they're tied to other interests.

Hell, you read Sam Walton's book, and in a conversation about Walmart, you muttered that you had no idea who the Waltons were. 

lol.   :)  You really do have a Beach Bum crush.  lol . . .   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 06:47:14 AM »
Not it isn't.  It's this kind of pontificating that makes this country great.  The fact people can express opinions like this without becoming Salman Rushdie is one of the beauties of this place.  This is guy is no different than those who call Bush a terrorist and those who accuse the U.S. of "stealing oil."   
No.  Where I'm from, one obviously foolish and stupid viewpoint does not balance out with another. 

That's the type of thinking that keeps Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly and Rush in the limelight.

There are informed opinions, then there are uniformed Archie Bunker type opinions.

When I see ad hominem attacks and no fact-based arguments, I'm inclined to think that the person spouting this stuff is a moron blowing his own horn.  Fish in a barrel my friend.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 07:00:20 AM »
Every time Reid and pelosi open their mouth they embolden our enemies. They are doing it to make political hay, but the consequences of their actions are global. Trips to Syria and meetings with known terror supporters don't help the situation. They are making things worse all the time. The enemy was shocked that we pulled out of Somalia, they took notes. They thought we'd roll over on Afghanistan, they fucked with Bush and they were very surprised. Saddam never thought we'd invade. All the resolute action, right or wrong, all the momentum we've gained will be lost if the Dems don't stop their shit. Nobody overseas thinks for one minute that they are championing the cause of "pulling out the troops" to save those troops. They could care less. Decker ur democratic party is being led by the nose from the Moveon.org folks. If Hil gets in, she'll see that she just can't pull out. They have already attacked her because of her stances on the war. While I'm a conservative first, I also realize that the repubs have at times been led by the Christian right. Several have a very narrow world view. Both sides are equally dangerous.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 07:20:13 AM »
Every time Reid and pelosi open their mouth they embolden our enemies.
How do you know this?  Did you ask Al Qaeda members if they feel emboldened after a Pelosi or Reid speech?

They are doing it to make political hay, but the consequences of their actions are global. Trips to Syria and meetings with known terror supporters don't help the situation. They are making things worse all the time. The enemy was shocked that we pulled out of Somalia, they took notes. They thought we'd roll over on Afghanistan, they fucked with Bush and they were very surprised. Saddam never thought we'd invade. All the resolute action, right or wrong, all the momentum we've gained will be lost if the Dems don't stop their shit. Nobody overseas thinks for one minute that they are championing the cause of "pulling out the troops" to save those troops. They could care less. Decker ur democratic party is being led by the nose from the Moveon.org folks. If Hil gets in, she'll see that she just can't pull out. They have already attacked her because of her stances on the war. While I'm a conservative first, I also realize that the repubs have at times been led by the Christian right. Several have a very narrow world view. Both sides are equally dangerous.
Frankly, I don't care one bit about how Bush's use of the military might appear to other countries.

He attacked the wrong country for the wrong reasons.  That's it.  The Iraq war was illegitimate from the start.

Worldwide terrorism has grown exponentially b/c of this.  What exactly has Bush accomplished?

Bush's military/foreign policy has been huge advantage to Al Qaeda recruitment. Iraq war 'helped al-Qaeda recruit' http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3756650.stm

This momentum you speak of is an illusion.  As long as the US occupies Iraq, there will be insurgents and Al Qaeda will grow.  That's been the trend.

Terrorism is growing b/c of the US's occupation of Iraq.

Yeah, Hillary doesn't want to pull out Iraq entirely and she helped designate a part of the Iranian military as a terrorist group.  She seems like a continuation of Bush in many respects.

I don't know what moveon.org's views on IRaq are, but I believe all but one of the democratic candidates do not want a complete troop withdrawal from Iraq.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 07:34:11 AM »
I'm not tackling the illiegal war thing ever. We put that one to rest.

AQ has stated on-line throught their very extensive PR machine that they praise the efforts of those two. Pelosi's visit to Syria has made the rounds on jihadist websites. They make mention every time Shawn Penn or that idiot Ramsey Clark attack the US. Bin Laden gave an interview to one of our big 3 after Somalia and he was very surprised, even shocked that we'd pull out so quickly. He thought we'd fight very much like the Russians. AQ has also studied TET and its aftermath. They are very very very very media savy. Its another front on this war that we have not done a very good job on.

Based on media reports and everything i get to see, it would appear we have put a major dent in AQ. Whether that means groups like Al Sadr will continue to fight, remains to be seen. We are doing a better job inside Iraq of getting the message out about AQ. We show their atrocities on TV and their media, even Al Jezeera, (which I'm watching at the moment) is showing what the foreigners (AQ) are doing to iraqi civilians. The military feels that AQ went to far. They killed to many religious leaders, upset to many people. Every battle has its one miscalculation, this could be it.

As far as mommnetum, if States feel that that the US will seek real retribution for acts, they won't support organizations who will carry out those acts. Things are quieter in Iraq. The media will make twice as much noise every time a bomb goes off now, but things are getting better. We are setting the stage to allow us to withdraw. the quieter it is, the easier it will be for Iraqi forces to take over.

The Dems do not want us to win. The libs don't want us to win.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »
I'm not tackling the illiegal war thing ever. We put that one to rest.

AQ has stated on-line throught their very extensive PR machine that they praise the efforts of those two. Pelosi's visit to Syria has made the rounds on jihadist websites. They make mention every time Shawn Penn or that idiot Ramsey Clark attack the US. Bin Laden gave an interview to one of our big 3 after Somalia and he was very surprised, even shocked that we'd pull out so quickly. He thought we'd fight very much like the Russians. AQ has also studied TET and its aftermath. They are very very very very media savy. Its another front on this war that we have not done a very good job on.

Based on media reports and everything i get to see, it would appear we have put a major dent in AQ. Whether that means groups like Al Sadr will continue to fight, remains to be seen. We are doing a better job inside Iraq of getting the message out about AQ. We show their atrocities on TV and their media, even Al Jezeera, (which I'm watching at the moment) is showing what the foreigners (AQ) are doing to iraqi civilians. The military feels that AQ went to far. They killed to many religious leaders, upset to many people. Every battle has its one miscalculation, this could be it.

As far as mommnetum, if States feel that that the US will seek real retribution for acts, they won't support organizations who will carry out those acts. Things are quieter in Iraq. The media will make twice as much noise every time a bomb goes off now, but things are getting better. We are setting the stage to allow us to withdraw. the quieter it is, the easier it will be for Iraqi forces to take over.

The Dems do not want us to win. The libs don't want us to win.
I read the same thing you did about OBL's statements on somalia.  I also read this:

"He (OBL) told me personally that he can't go and fight the Americans and their country. But if he manages to provoke them and bring them to the Middle East and to their Muslim worlds, where he can find them or fight them on his own turf, he will actually teach them a lesson," Atwan said. "It seems the invasion of Iraq fulfilled Osama bin Laden's wish. That's why the Americans are losing in Iraq." http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Author_claims_US_invasion_of_Iraq_0824.html

His Somalia statement was baiting the US so that it would act on OBL's terms.  The strategy worked perfectly.  George "Goober" Bush played right into his hands.  B/c no one questions the courage of the US....not even OBL.

Violence is not down in Iraq.  Experts Doubt Drop In Violence in Iraq http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/05/AR2007090502466_pf.html

Others who have looked at the full range of U.S. government statistics on violence, however, accuse the military of cherry-picking positive indicators and caution that the numbers -- most of which are classified -- are often confusing and contradictory. "Let's just say that there are several different sources within the administration on violence, and those sources do not agree," Comptroller General David Walker told Congress on Tuesday in releasing a new Government Accountability Office report on Iraq.

The GAO doesn't think violence is down in Iraq.

http://www.data360.org/graph_group.aspx?Graph_Group_Id=1032

This steady stream of misinformation about the successes in Iraq only underscores the point that we are failing there and it's time to go home.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 08:54:05 AM »
I's argue that u should consider the source. Clinton policy experts agrue..thats enough for me right there. But even still that article was from 6 Sept...its 16 Oct. That really makes a big difference. I could be saying things are getting better and 3 weeks from now we loose 2000 guys. Things change so rapidly. The best way to judge is in US deaths and then by what we are able to get accomplished as far as rebuilding efforts. The media is not reportimng success and will and continues to make things seem worse.

OBL did fight on our turf. 911 was his attack. But I understand ur point. They never thought we'd come after him as we did. Look what he has to base that on. We did nothing after 1993..nothing after somalia...Clinton did very little. We crushed him in Afghanistan....but i will whole heartedly admit that Iraq and OBL had very little in common to begin with. If we stopped after Afghanistan/Philippines then folks would have a very different view of the war on terror.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »
No.  Where I'm from, one obviously foolish and stupid viewpoint does not balance out with another. 

That's the type of thinking that keeps Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly and Rush in the limelight.

There are informed opinions, then there are uniformed Archie Bunker type opinions.

When I see ad hominem attacks and no fact-based arguments, I'm inclined to think that the person spouting this stuff is a moron blowing his own horn.  Fish in a barrel my friend.

I didn't say one foolish viewpoint balances another, I said the fact people are free to express these opinions is good for the country, contrary to your view that "It’s this kind of pontificating that is ruining this country."  

An "informed" opinion is still an opinion.  I have an "informed" opinion that Democrats are equally as responsible for starting the war as Bush.  Your "informed" opinion is just the opposite.  Who is right?  Regardless, the fact we can both express our opinions is wonderful.  The fact this guy can speak his mind, and that someone can write an editorial calling him an idiot, is part of our country's fabric.    

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »
I didn't say one foolish viewpoint balances another, I said the fact people are free to express these opinions is good for the country, contrary to your view that "It’s this kind of pontificating that is ruining this country."  

An "informed" opinion is still an opinion.  I have an "informed" opinion that Democrats are equally as responsible for starting the war as Bush.  Your "informed" opinion is just the opposite.  Who is right?  Regardless, the fact we can both express our opinions is wonderful.  The fact this guy can speak his mind, and that someone can write an editorial calling him an idiot, is part of our country's fabric.    
You engage in sophistry.  One stupid opinion does not balance out the other yet all opinions, informed or not, are still the same thing: opinions.

Don't confuse the right to speak with the right to speak stupidly.  This is not a free speech issue.  This is an object lesson in what happens when fact-based analysis and conclusions are jettisoned for unsupported, misguided bar-room speculation.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
You engage in sophistry.  One stupid opinion does not balance out the other yet all opinions, informed or not, are still the same thing: opinions.

Don't confuse the right to speak with the right to speak stupidly.  This is not a free speech issue.  This is an object lesson in what happens when fact-based analysis and conclusions are jettisoned for unsupported, misguided bar-room speculation.

Beach Bum won't understand a word of this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »

Yes, all opinions, informed or not, are just opinions.  That isn't sophistry.  It's fact. 

So there is no right to speak stupidly?  That's actually what free speech is all about.  We don't need the First Amendment to protect popular speech.  It's unpopular speech and opinion that needs protection. 

And no this isn't a free speech issue from the standpoint that the government is not trying to preclude the guy from expressing his opinion.  But to say this kind of opinion is ruining the country implicates free speech IMO.  You simply disagree with the guy's opinion.  I happen to think he made a couple valid points.  As did Headhunter and Colossus.     

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 11:30:11 AM »
Yes, all opinions, informed or not, are just opinions.  That isn't sophistry.  It's fact. 

So there is no right to speak stupidly?  That's actually what free speech is all about.  We don't need the First Amendment to protect popular speech.  It's unpopular speech and opinion that needs protection. 

And no this isn't a free speech issue from the standpoint that the government is not trying to preclude the guy from expressing his opinion.  But to say this kind of opinion is ruining the country implicates free speech IMO.  You simply disagree with the guy's opinion.  I happen to think he made a couple valid points.  As did Headhunter and Colossus.     
By your rationale, a Beavis and Butthead debate would be worthwhile--after all, it is in print and there are opinions being proffered.

I was only trying to point out that the article does not elevate discourse, it diminishes it.  I don't think we need to address that point of it any more.  Let's get to the issues.

Please point out the valid points this guy makes.  And not the the Murtha point (I don't have an opinion on Mr. Abscam). 

B/c from where I sit, the article is largely baseless attacks and misinformed opinion.  Fire away.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »
By your rationale, a Beavis and Butthead debate would be worthwhile--after all, it is in print and there are opinions being proffered.

I was only trying to point out that the article does not elevate discourse, it diminishes it.  I don't think we need to address that point of it any more.  Let's get to the issues.

Please point out the valid points this guy makes.  And not the the Murtha point (I don't have an opinion on Mr. Abscam). 

B/c from where I sit, the article is largely baseless attacks and misinformed opinion.  Fire away.

If people will pay for and read a Beavis and Butthead debate, then more power to them.   :)

Since when does someone need our approval to write an opinion piece?  Have you read any opinion pieces advocating the impeachment of the president?  I think that is patently ridiculous.  I think that kind of opinion is baseless and misinformed.  We don't have to debate that issue, but the fact someone express an opinion you or I think is "stupid" or "misinformed" or "baseless" doesn't lower discourse any more than someone giving the opinion that Bush should be impeached.  The fact is some people agree with the guy.  IMO, the appropriate response is to write an opinion responding to whatever the guy said.   

Re the valid points in the article, see my first post in this thread:   

"Interesting.  Some valid points.  It is hard for people to hear the plain truth like this sometimes.  I wouldn't go quite as far to say that Democrats intentionally support terrorism, but I don't believe people like Hillary, Reid, etc. are sincere.  They are running for office and using our troops as political pawns.  Some Republicans do this too.  But there is no question in my mind that what some of these guys say and do gives aid and comfort to the enemy."

For example, I believe when a member of Congress goes to a foreign country and refuses to meet with the troops and calls the war illegal, he is emboldening the enemy. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »
If people will pay for and read a Beavis and Butthead debate, then more power to them.   :)

Since when does someone need our approval to write an opinion piece?  Have you read any opinion pieces advocating the impeachment of the president?  I think that is patently ridiculous.  I think that kind of opinion is baseless and misinformed.  We don't have to debate that issue, but the fact someone express an opinion you or I think is "stupid" or "misinformed" or "baseless" doesn't lower discourse any more than someone giving the opinion that Bush should be impeached.  The fact is some people agree with the guy.  IMO, the appropriate response is to write an opinion responding to whatever the guy said.   

Re the valid points in the article, see my first post in this thread:   

"Interesting.  Some valid points.  It is hard for people to hear the plain truth like this sometimes.  I wouldn't go quite as far to say that Democrats intentionally support terrorism, but I don't believe people like Hillary, Reid, etc. are sincere.  They are running for office and using our troops as political pawns.  Some Republicans do this too.  But there is no question in my mind that what some of these guys say and do gives aid and comfort to the enemy."

For example, I believe when a member of Congress goes to a foreign country and refuses to meet with the troops and calls the war illegal, he is emboldening the enemy. 

Certainly it is my prerogative to comment on the inanity of any written piece submitted for view and that's what I have done.  So I pointed out why the article is bull feathers in my first post here.

Exactly which part of the equation is the trigger for the emboldening of the enemy?  Is it the Congress person criticizing the war or criticizing the war on foreign soil?  How does that embolden the enemy?

I mean Al Qaeda's ranks are growing and terrorist attacks worldwide are growing and that's been attributed to the failed Iraq war.  I posted this before:

The Iraq war started by President Bush has caused terrorist acts to swell in Iraq.   U.S. Cites 91 Percent Rise In Terrorist Acts in Iraq http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/30/AR2007043001663.html

“…the report acknowledged, the invasion "has been used by terrorists as a rallying cry for radicalization and extremist activity that has contributed to instability in neighboring countries."”

World-wide deaths from terrorist acts have grown 40%
Iraq blamed for 2006 terrorism increase
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/04/30/iraq_blamed_for_2006_terrorism_increase/

Criticism of Bush's fiasco in Iraq is worldwide.  "Emboldening" the enemy is a synonym for treason.  That's nonsense. 

Bush made his Iraq bed and now he has to sleep in it.  Criticism on foreign soil by a Congress person isn't going to change the fact that Bush's invasion of Iraq has emboldened the enemy:  Al Qaeda's ranks are up and terrorist attacks have flourished.

That's due to Bush and not some vapid criticism....on foreign soil....by a congressman.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
Certainly it is my prerogative to comment on the inanity of any written piece submitted for view and that's what I have done.  So I pointed out why the article is bull feathers in my first post here.

Exactly which part of the equation is the trigger for the emboldening of the enemy?  Is it the Congress person criticizing the war or criticizing the war on foreign soil?  How does that embolden the enemy?

I mean Al Qaeda's ranks are growing and terrorist attacks worldwide are growing and that's been attributed to the failed Iraq war.  I posted this before:

The Iraq war started by President Bush has caused terrorist acts to swell in Iraq.   U.S. Cites 91 Percent Rise In Terrorist Acts in Iraq http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/30/AR2007043001663.html

“…the report acknowledged, the invasion "has been used by terrorists as a rallying cry for radicalization and extremist activity that has contributed to instability in neighboring countries."”

World-wide deaths from terrorist acts have grown 40%
Iraq blamed for 2006 terrorism increase
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/04/30/iraq_blamed_for_2006_terrorism_increase/

Criticism of Bush's fiasco in Iraq is worldwide.  "Emboldening" the enemy is a synonym for treason.  That's nonsense. 

Bush made his Iraq bed and now he has to sleep in it.  Criticism on foreign soil by a Congress person isn't going to change the fact that Bush's invasion of Iraq has emboldened the enemy:  Al Qaeda's ranks are up and terrorist attacks have flourished.

That's due to Bush and not some vapid criticism....on foreign soil....by a congressman.

Depends on what the member of Congress says.  A member of Congress can speak to the entire country, or even the entire world, from just about anywhere.  They always have the media at their beck and call.  In the case of Kucinich, it was making the comments on foreign soil I found appalling.  How does that embolden the enemy?  Come on.  An insurgent watching and listening to clips of a member of Congress who is running for president condemning the war, calling for an immediate pullout, and refusing to meet with the troops will not be encouraged to continue their fight?  I think so.   

Then there are these (from the article):  "Dick Durbin {D Il} compared our soldiers to soviet gulag guards and Hitler’s Nazis. Harry Reid {D Ne} said that the war is lost. Nancy Pelosi {D Ca} and newly elected Keith Ellison {D MN} went to Syria, a state terror sponsor during a war against Islamic fascists. Keith Ellison compared the President to Hitler."  I believe this kind of nonsense definitely encourages our enemies.  Comparing the president to Hitler?   ::)

I can't speak for others, but I'm not accusing these folks of treason.  If I believe someone committed a treasonous act, I'll just come out and say it, like Kerry's post war conduct and "Lt." Watada sending his boys off to war while he sits behind a freakin desk (blood pressure rising).

Why don't you find out where this guy's commentary was published and write a response?     

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
Depends on what the member of Congress says.  A member of Congress can speak to the entire country, or even the entire world, from just about anywhere.  They always have the media at their beck and call.  In the case of Kucinich, it was making the comments on foreign soil I found appalling.  How does that embolden the enemy?  Come on.  An insurgent watching and listening to clips of a member of Congress who is running for president condemning the war, calling for an immediate pullout, and refusing to meet with the troops will not be encouraged to continue their fight?  I think so.   

Then there are these (from the article):  "Dick Durbin {D Il} compared our soldiers to soviet gulag guards and Hitler’s Nazis. Harry Reid {D Ne} said that the war is lost. Nancy Pelosi {D Ca} and newly elected Keith Ellison {D MN} went to Syria, a state terror sponsor during a war against Islamic fascists. Keith Ellison compared the President to Hitler."  I believe this kind of nonsense definitely encourages our enemies.  Comparing the president to Hitler?   ::)

I can't speak for others, but I'm not accusing these folks of treason.  If I believe someone committed a treasonous act, I'll just come out and say it, like Kerry's post war conduct and "Lt." Watada sending his boys off to war while he sits behind a freakin desk (blood pressure rising).

Why don't you find out where this guy's commentary was published and write a response?     

Nowhere in my research have I found any study, survey or anecdotal piece of evidence that has attributed terrorist attacks or Al Qaeda recruitment to the emboldening effect of Kucinich's criticism of the war.

This "emboldening" is not really quantifiable, is it?

I just can't find it referred to anywhere but on right wing propaganda web sites. 

Personally, since I don't support the war or the troops in executing the war, I find their (democrats) critiques mild.

I won't write a response b/c I don't want to.  I've spoken my piece here and it's more fun talking to you than floating some response out in cyberspace.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
Nowhere in my research have I found any study, survey or anecdotal piece of evidence that has attributed terrorist attacks or Al Qaeda recruitment to the emboldening effect of Kucinich's criticism of the war.

This "emboldening" is not really quantifiable, is it?

I just can't find it referred to anywhere but on right wing propaganda web sites. 

Personally, since I don't support the war or the troops in executing the war, I find their critiques mild.

I won't write a response b/c I don't want to.  I've spoken my piece here and it's more fun talking to you than floating some response out in cyberspace.

I don't think emboldening is quantifiable.  It's really just a matter of opinion.

Comparing Bush to Hitler is mild? 

It's good talking with you.  Nice to have a smart person who can stick to the issues.  I always enjoy our exchanges.     

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 07:41:09 AM »
Enough of the love. Look if things are going south for nu on the battlefield but the enemies people or media machine are saying the exact opposite, it keeps u going. If u can destroy the will of the enemy or its people, u don't need to win on the battlefield because nobody will believ the military or its government. Case in point TET. I bring up TET becasue Bin Laden and his guys have made mention of it and its outcomes many times. The North sent 70,000 troops south to fight. That included NVA and mostly Viet Cong. Initially they had surprise and took some real estate. By the end..they lost ground, about 50,000 guys and they no longer had the VC. They could not mount an effective offensive campaign for 4 years. Giap thought about asking for terms. Then the Leftist media machine began to spin. We say pictures of the Embassy, we say Hue burnt out. Then Kronkite says the war is lost. That got the anti-draft/war folks even more fired up. The North could not believe it. Westmoreland knew that we had the North on the ropes and asked Washington to allow for a final offensive to finish the war. After all the media spin and the protests etc, they caved.

The media is doing the same thing here. Many reporters never leave the Green Zone. They use stringers whoi report only the latest IED/car bomb attacks. Thats what gets back to us. Thats why I think Reid and Pelosi and alike are treasonous scumbags. Look at Murtha, same thing. They are really giving the enemy motivation to continue. Arguments can be made about Illiegal  etc..but we're there and we need to finish.  If we can walk away from Iraq with a stable government, this will make other nations rethink their support of organizations like AQ. All major terror networks need Stae support or a blind eye. If rogue governments know that the US will not only crush the terror groups but will do serious damage to the state's infrastructure, then they will be more reluctant to support them. These groups will go back to hijacking the odd airplane. No major spectatctular attacks and hopefully no WMD attacks.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 07:44:35 AM »
Thats why I think Reid and Pelosi and alike are treasonous scumbags.

Funny.  These two spend their life serving their country.  because they believe this war (based on lies and something that the admin REALLY wanted to do) is BS, they are "treasonous"?

That's a big word to throw around.  Sad.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 07:49:34 AM »
Enough of the love. Look if things are going south for nu on the battlefield but the enemies people or media machine are saying the exact opposite, it keeps u going. If u can destroy the will of the enemy or its people, u don't need to win on the battlefield because nobody will believ the military or its government. Case in point TET. I bring up TET becasue Bin Laden and his guys have made mention of it and its outcomes many times. The North sent 70,000 troops south to fight. That included NVA and mostly Viet Cong. Initially they had surprise and took some real estate. By the end..they lost ground, about 50,000 guys and they no longer had the VC. They could not mount an effective offensive campaign for 4 years. Giap thought about asking for terms. Then the Leftist media machine began to spin. We say pictures of the Embassy, we say Hue burnt out. Then Kronkite says the war is lost. That got the anti-draft/war folks even more fired up. The North could not believe it. Westmoreland knew that we had the North on the ropes and asked Washington to allow for a final offensive to finish the war. After all the media spin and the protests etc, they caved.

The media is doing the same thing here. Many reporters never leave the Green Zone. They use stringers whoi report only the latest IED/car bomb attacks. Thats what gets back to us. Thats why I think Reid and Pelosi and alike are treasonous scumbags. Look at Murtha, same thing. They are really giving the enemy motivation to continue. Arguments can be made about Illiegal  etc..but we're there and we need to finish.  If we can walk away from Iraq with a stable government, this will make other nations rethink their support of organizations like AQ. All major terror networks need Stae support or a blind eye. If rogue governments know that the US will not only crush the terror groups but will do serious damage to the state's infrastructure, then they will be more reluctant to support them. These groups will go back to hijacking the odd airplane. No major spectatctular attacks and hopefully no WMD attacks.
I understand your resolve.  But the enemy that is attacking us, for the most part, is the Iraqi people.

HH, it is their country that we occupy.  If the shoe were on the other foot and Iraq occupied the US after overthrowing our government, I'm certain you would be on the front lines with me killing as many Iraqis as we could.

As long as we occupy Iraq, our soldiers will be attacked and violence will prevail. 

I mean, forget about the legality of the invasion itself, the dynamic of occupation is a loser.  The British machine couldn't beat the farmers in the US b/c the british were occupiers and the farmers had their hearts invested in their land.

We can't beat that kind of motivation.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 08:01:31 AM »
Well we're not seeing everybody attacking us and the brits weren't putting up power plants and wells. I understand ur point. I think things are shifting there. We're trying to get out of the fighting Iraqi business and more into the killing AQ business. I think its working. It took us almost 10 years to figure out Vietnam and how to fight there, so I think we're seeing the same thing in Iraq. From a historical perspective, I think we're seeing the same thing.

Now 240. What Reid and Pelosi have said and done. A Congressman did the same things as they did during the Civil War. Lincoln had him deported. I'm not sure how u deport a US citizen but anyway. U don't visit a state sponser of terror and say that they are the road to peace. As far as a life long calling etc. U can do alot of things ur whole life and be wrong. They are doing a disservice to us while we have troops in the field.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 08:07:16 AM »
Now 240. What Reid and Pelosi have said and done. A Congressman did the same things as they did during the Civil War. Lincoln had him deported. I'm not sure how u deport a US citizen but anyway. U don't visit a state sponser of terror and say that they are the road to peace. As far as a life long calling etc. U can do alot of things ur whole life and be wrong. They are doing a disservice to us while we have troops in the field.

The problem is that Lincoln had a leg to stand on.

Can you even estimate the credibility - domestically and worldwide - of the Bush admin at this point? 

I'm not even going to wager a guess - but I'm guessing no one here can provide ANY polling data to show the US has any credibility at this point.

Now, back to Reid / Pelosi - talking to the enemy is an odd topic.  Remember that old adage-
Avoidance/ Negotiation / Contact.
The 3 things to do in sticky situations.  Some Tae Kwan Do mantra or soemthing.  Anyway,  Bush is about to bomb Iran - but won't even speak to them.  Isn't that silly?  Americans will lose their lives as a result, even if only by expanded proxy fighting in iraq.  Tens of thousands of Iranians will die, right?  And maybe they could reach an agreement, maybe not.  Point is - we're not trying.

The reason we avouided WWIII with the Ruskies in the 60s is that we held talks.  We were in a bitter fight worldwide for resources - but we still talked.  It averted a nuclear war too.

I don't understand the stubbornness of us not willing to tlak to them.  pelosi showed diplomacy.  And correct me if i'm wrong - but didn't the white house APPROVE APPROVE APPROVE Pelosi's trip FIRST? Then when she went, Tony Snow acted all shocked.   Someone check that.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »
Well we're not seeing everybody attacking us and the brits weren't putting up power plants and wells. I understand ur point. I think things are shifting there. We're trying to get out of the fighting Iraqi business and more into the killing AQ business. I think its working. It took us almost 10 years to figure out Vietnam and how to fight there, so I think we're seeing the same thing in Iraq. From a historical perspective, I think we're seeing the same thing.

America was a British colony and they had a lot of pounds invested in the infrastructure.

I'm not sure you have the time for this, but here's a link that compares the British/american colony with America/Iraq.  http://www.cceia.org/resources/transcripts/1033.html

Here are some excerpts:

There are three fundamental differences between American power and British power a century ago, and they explain not only why the United States has had problems in the past in imposing its will in foreign countries but also why it is experiencing problems today in imposing its will on its two present colonies of Afghanistan and Iraq.

The first is what might be called the manpower deficit. The proportion of the American population which is enlisted in the armed forces has been declining steadily since certainly the mid-1980s, arguably since the time of the Korean War.

The United States has yet to work out a way of making other people fight its wars in the way that the British made the Indians provide a very large part of their armed forces in the 19th—and indeed in the 20th—century.

...An empire in the end, no matter how much technology can deliver, is about footprints on the ground. The United States imports people; it doesn't export them. Its manpower deficit is, therefore, one of its characteristic weaknesses and one of the reasons why, by comparison with the much smaller British Empire of a century ago, it has more difficulty in making its institutions stick when it tries to plant them overseas.

The second, economic deficit is one I hardly need to tell you about. It is a fiscal deficit, a balance of payments of deficit, and, according to some economists, a generational deficit of mind-boggling proportions.

...In economic and fiscal terms, the United States is not quite the empire it seems when first we consider its resources because it is primarily an empire of consumption, and not of development. Its indifference, even to the Middle East as an area for investment, is very striking when one considers the statistics for U.S. foreign direct investment [FDI].

...There is one final difference between British and American empire. The most important deficit, which lames American power, is an attention deficit. ...Until American politicians, opinion formers, and voters grasp that undertakings, whether they are called "colonization" or "nation building," take time—that they cannot be accomplished within a two-year election cycle, that they may not even be accomplished within a decade—the United States should desist from such activities.

________________________ __________________
The discussion from that link is not anti-US imperialism.  On the contrary, the author concludes that the US is just doing it wrong.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
Great article...we have a very short attention span. I think drafting leveies like that is impossible in the 21st century. I think the contractor is the new levy. Plus its very easy to chew up ur army and conduct invasions if they are not anglo's as the Brits did.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 08:53:14 AM »

Well said.  I agree.