Author Topic: Chicago Researchers Look for 'Gay Gene'  (Read 1206 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Chicago Researchers Look for 'Gay Gene'
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »
Chicago Researchers Look for 'Gay Gene'
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Aug. 20: Julio Cabrera near his home in Chicago. He and his brother Mauricio are participants in a nationwide study of the genetic origins of homosexuality.

CHICAGO —  Julio and Mauricio Cabrera are gay brothers who are convinced their sexual orientation is as deeply rooted as their Mexican ancestry. They are among 1,000 pairs of gay brothers taking part in the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay.

The Cabreras hope the findings will help silence critics who say homosexuality is an immoral choice.

If fresh evidence is found suggesting genes are involved, perhaps homosexuality will be viewed as no different than other genetic traits like height and hair color, said Julio, a student at DePaul University in Chicago.

Adds his brother, "I think it would help a lot of folks understand us better."

The federally funded study, led by Chicago-area researchers, will rely on blood or saliva samples to help scientists search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. Parents and straight brothers also are being recruited.

While initial results aren't expected until next year — and won't provide a final answer — skeptics are already attacking the methods and disputing the presumed results.

Research involving identical twins, often used to study genetics since they share the same DNA, has had mixed results.

One widely cited study in the 1990s found that if one member of a pair of identical twins was gay, the other had a 52 percent chance of being gay. In contrast, the result for pairs of non-twin brothers, was 9 percent. A 2000 study of Australian identical twins found a much lower chance.

Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, the lead researcher of the new study, said he suspects there isn't one so-called "gay gene."

It is more likely there are several genes that interact with nongenetic factors, including psychological and social influences, to determine sexual orientation, said Sanders, a psychiatrist.

Still, he said, "If there's one gene that makes a sizable contribution, we have a pretty good chance" of finding it.

Many gays fear that if gay genes are identified, it could result in discrimination, prenatal testing and even abortions to eliminate homosexuals, said Joel Ginsberg of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association.

However, he added, "If we confirm that sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic, we are much more likely to get the courts to rule against discrimination."

There is less research on lesbians, Sanders said, although some studies suggest that male and female sexual orientation may have different genetic influences.

His new research is an attempt to duplicate and expand on a study published in 1993 involving 40 pairs of gay brothers.

That hotly debated study, wrongly touted as locating "the gay gene," found that gay brothers shared genetic markers in a region on the X chromosome, which men inherit from their mothers.

That implies that any genes influencing sexual orientation lie somewhere in that region.

Previous attempts to duplicate those results failed. But Sanders said that with so many participants, his study has a better chance of finding the same markers and perhaps others on different chromosomes.

If these markers appear in gay brothers but not their straight brothers or parents, that would suggest a link to sexual orientation. The study is designed to find genetic markers, not to explain any genetic role in behavior.

And Sanders said even if he finds no evidence, that won't mean genetics play no role; it may simply mean that individual genes have a smaller effect.

Skeptics include Stanton Jones, a psychology professor and provost at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill. An evangelical Christian, Jones last month announced results of a study he co-authored that says it's possible for gays to "convert" — changing their sexual orientation without harm.

Jones said his results suggest biology plays only a minor role in sexual orientation, and that researchers seeking genetic clues generally have a pro-gay agenda that will produce biased results.

Sanders disputed that criticism.

"We do not have a predetermined point we are trying to prove," he said. "We are trying to pry some of nature's secrets loose with respect to a fundamental human trait."

Jones acknowledged that he's not a neutral observer. His study involved 98 gays "seeking help" from Exodus International, a Christian group that believes homosexuals can become straight through prayer and counseling. Exodus International funded Jones' study.

The group's president, Alan Chambers, said he is a former homosexual who went straight and believes homosexuality is morally wrong.

Even if research ultimately shows that genetics play a bigger role, it "will never be something that forces people to behave in a certain way," Chambers said. "We all have the freedom to choose."

• Click here to learn more about Exodus International.

The Cabrera brothers grew up in Mexico in a culture where "being gay was an embarrassment," especially for their father, said Mauricio, 41, a car dealership employee from Olathe, Kan.

They had cousins who were gay, but Mauricio said he still felt he had to hide his sexual orientation and he struggled with his "double life." Julio said having an older brother who was gay made it easier for him to accept his sexuality.

Jim Larkin, 54, a gay journalist in Flint, Mich., said the genetics study is a move in the right direction.

Given the difficulties of being gay in a predominantly straight society, homosexuality "is not a choice someone would make in life," said Larkin, who is not a study participant.

He had two brothers who were gay. One died from AIDS; the other committed suicide. Larkin said he didn't come out until he was 26.

"I fought and I prayed and I went to Mass and I said the rosary," Larkin said. "I moved away from everybody I knew ... thinking maybe this will cause the feelings to subside. It doesn't."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302066,00.html

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Chicago Researchers Look for 'Gay Gene'
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:12:34 AM »

I'm of the belief man should try and find knowledge from ever topic. Stupid PC molarity is fucking up certain advancements.

And yes, given the chance, if a "gay" gene could be turned off I would have that done for my children.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:50:07 AM »

I'm an athiest, god isn't the driving force to what my children shall be, evolution, genetic makeup and enviroment are.

Would I put my children up to be guinea pigs? Nope, but I sure as hell wouldn't stop anyone else wanting to do so.

The Thalidomide statement is ludicrous. You think all future experiments should be nullyfide on that?

In my world, a framework would be constituted were DNA alterations regarding disease etc would be acceptable ammendments to the DNA. Cosmetics not so other than issues like cleft palate etc.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:11:21 AM »
I'm an athiest, god isn't the driving force to what my children shall be, evolution, genetic makeup and enviroment are.

Would I put my children up to be guinea pigs? Nope, but I sure as hell wouldn't stop anyone else wanting to do so.

The Thalidomide statement is ludicrous. You think all future experiments should be nullyfide on that?

In my world, a framework would be constituted were DNA alterations regarding disease etc would be acceptable ammendments to the DNA. Cosmetics not so other than issues like cleft palate etc.

Lets take bets on whether or not they find one.....I got 1G saying nothing comes up. It is nurture not nature
gotta love life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Lets take bets on whether or not they find one.....I got 1G saying nothing comes up. It is nurture not nature

You win.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »
well then it should be easy to prove it's nurture

let's hear it

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
Yeah genetics play no role ::)
الاسلام هو شيطانية

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
well then it should be easy to prove it's nurture

let's hear it

ok, i'll work on my proof. you work on your proof it is nature
gotta love life

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »

If I'm not mistaken there has been some kind of scientific finding that the brain of homosexuals is different than the brain of heterosexuals. I'll look for the article I read while you and your Neanderthal brethren bash gays.  ;D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2404109.stm

US scientists claim to have found evidence that brain structure influences sexual preference in sheep.

They say a region of the brain involved in sexual behaviour is different in "gay" rams which prefer to mate with other males.

The findings are similar to those identified by the neuroscientist Simon LeVay in the brains of gay men.

Controversy has surrounded the research, partly because many of the men had died of AIDS.

It was not clear whether the differences were related to the disease or to sexual preferences.

n humans and some other animals it is about twice as large in males compared with females and contains twice the number of cells. Its function in behaviour is not fully known.

Researchers looked at sheep in an attempt to understand the biological basis of sexual behaviours.

They say previous studies have shown that between six and 10% of rams are attracted to males rather than females.

They analysed the brain structures of 17 rams, nine of which preferred to mate with males, and 10 ewes.

Human sexuality

Research focused on a group of brain cells in the preoptic hypothalamus called the sexually dimorphic nucleus.

"Interestingly, this bundle of neurons is smaller in ewes and in rams with same-sex preferences than it is in rams that prefer ewes," said lead researcher Dr Kay Larkin.

"We also determined that the volume of the sexually dimorphic area is approximately the same in rams that prefer rams as it is in ewes."

The part of the brain analysed in both studies is an area of the hypothalmus involved in mating behaviour, the preoptic hypothalamus.

The researchers believe sheep could help provide clues about human sexuality.

Professor Charles Roselli said: "While we realise that sexuality is more complex in humans than reproductive behaviours in sheep, this model will help illuminate the basic principles that apply to all mammals, and may be helpful in understanding the biology of human behaviours as well."

He said the studies show there is a biological mechanism involved in partner preference. But he said the motivation for the work was purely scientific and he did not set out to prove whether sexual orientation was influenced by nature or nurture.

"I'm not trying to fuel that debate but I'm sure that people will use it as part of the nature part of that debate," he told BBC News Online.

There has been conflicting evidence on whether biology might underpin homosexuality to some extent.

David Allison of the UK gay rights group Outrage says there is nothing wrong with the so-called nature/nurture debate; what matters is getting rid of prejudice.

"It's the prejudice that is wrong not how gay people come into world," he told BBC News Online.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:59:02 PM »
ok, i'll work on my proof. you work on your proof it is nature

I don't need one because I couldn't give less of a shit either way

nurture - nature - neither - both

who cares?

consenting adults - none of my business

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
I don't need one because I couldn't give less of a shit either way

nurture - nature - neither - both

who cares?

consenting adults - none of my business

This has always been my point and a question I've asked repeatedly. Why does anyone else care what two consenting adults do in their lives especially when it has no effect on your life?

The only answer I've ever gotten was some nonsense about looking out for the children.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »

A lil bit of both. A had this book in College that showed that if there was more test in the womb of a female mouse, the female mice would act more aggressive. The same was for if there was more estrogen in the womb the male mice were more apt to be finding other males more attractive.