Author Topic: Gina Mackey---first Bahamian woman to win pro-card !  (Read 1250 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Gina Mackey---first Bahamian woman to win pro-card !
« on: October 19, 2007, 04:40:49 AM »
According to The Nassau Guardian - Oct 16
http://www.thenassauguardian.com/sports/313879606844276.php
Oct 16/07
By Dahalia Smith, NG Sports Reporter

Gina Mackey became the first Bahamian woman in history to win a bodybuilding professional card and a Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Bodybuilding women's overall title at the recent championships held in Bermuda.

Mackey and Raymond Tucker also retained their mixed pairs CAC championship title. She also won the women's heavyweight division and the women's overall title with perfect scores.

It was the perfect score in the overall women's division that granted Mackey her pro card. With her pro card now attained Mackey can compete for cash in top competitions worldwide. She along with "Big" Joel Stubbs, Natasha Brown in fitness at the 2001 CAC in Venezuela and Charles Kemp all have pro cards.

According to the BBFF President Danny Sumner all of the athletes gained their pro cards under his presidency since 2000.

He said: "I am very happy for Gina and Joel. Joel Stubbs took over her training from national coach Stephen Robinson. Joel helped her get more size.

"In the end she outclassed everyone and won perfect scores. Furthermore this is the first time that we had three males (Jay Darling, Aaron Green and Ian Williams) qualify for their pro card at the championships.

"I am proud to see that I played a role in this. Prior to my presidency there were no Bahamians with pro status. However we did have two athletes who were high in the world standings Kingsley Poitier and Tony Carroll. The pro status did not come around until the 1970's," explained Sumner.

The 20-member team accumulated seven medals in all. James 'Jay' Darling won a gold medal in the men's middleweight division, Ian Williams took the lightweight division and Aaron Green won gold in the men's heavyweight division.

According to Darling he was grateful for the time off that the Royal Bahamas Defense Force afforded him to train for the CAC.

Sumner said that the 2007 championship was very significant. "This win shows everyone that we are the most dominant country in the CAC and I am elated about our performance. I am still on a natural high. We trained hard and went at least three years without getting in the top three.

"Seasoned members such as Gina, Aaron, Jay and Raymond really contributed greatly to the win. I am also grateful to my coaching staff, Robinson and Derek Bullard. I am also grateful to the Minister of State responsible for Youth and Sports Byron Woodside. I told him two months ago we were coming back with the gold. He had faith in us and we did just that," noted Sumner.

The BBFF President added that the Men's World Championship is next week but the BBFF is not in the position to finance athletes to attend this prestigious event as the trip to Bermuda cost $40,000.

"We are still thinking about the Worlds," he added. "If something develops then we will send one or two athletes. But from here on we are going to make sure this team stays intact and weekly meetings will be held to monitor its progress," added Sumner.

........................ ........................ .......................
Congratulate !
Good luck ,Gina  :) :)