Author Topic: Virgin Birth  (Read 5827 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Virgin Birth
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
Paul was the theological brain behind Christianity, and Simeon may or may not have been a real person, and if he was real, he may or may not have said what the NT said he did. There is no independent corroboration.

Isaiah was not talking about Jesus, we've been over that, and the guys who wrote the Septuagint, well, did they write it or just translate it from Hebrew to Greek? If they were just strictly translators, then it doesn't matter what they thought!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »
Paul was the theological brain behind Christianity, and Simeon may or may not have been a real person, and if he was real, he may or may not have said what the NT said he did. There is no independent corroboration.

Isaiah was not talking about Jesus, we've been over that, and the guys who wrote the Septuagint, well, did they write it or just translate it from Hebrew to Greek? If they were just strictly translators, then it doesn't matter what they thought!

You're were saying something about "squirming" on another thread....... ;D

Those were "real Jews" and they believed that Jesus was the Messiah. So, your initial claim about "real Jews" not believing that Jesus was the Messiah simple doesn't work. If Isaiah isn't talking about Jesus, when who is this alleged child born of a virgin (or who is this woman, who conceives this child, without having sex with a man)?

As far as the virgin birth goes, I thought I posted this earlier. But, usually when a woman is described as a virgin, the surrounding context indicates that she has not been with a man.

Mary states that in the gospel of Luke, when the angel tells her about giving birth to Jesus, How can this be, since I've not known a man?

Whoever claim that the Hebrew word, that is translated as virgin, may not have been such doesn't have much to support the charge.

Look at the description of Rebekah, Isaac's bride-to-be, in Genesis 24:16, The damsel was fair to look upon, a virgin. Neither had any man known her. The laws of the Levitical priests stated that their wives had to be virgins. They could not be profane women (sluts), harlots, divorcees, or widows.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
Isaiah believed that Jesus was teh Messiah? I think rabbis the world over beg to disagree :)

Do you deny that there are lots of Jews out there who don't think Jesus is the Messiah?