Author Topic: A-Rod opts out of contract  (Read 1858 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
A-Rod opts out of contract
« on: October 28, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
DENVER -- Alex Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees on Sunday in what appears to be the end of his career with New York.

Rodriguez's decision, announced by agent Scott Boras during Game 4 of the World Series, makes him eligible to become a free agent.

A-Rod Worth A Lot

Alex Rodriguez has an impressive career resume, which figures only to grow. Some of his career highlights:

• Youngest ever to hit 300 HR, 400 HR, 450 HR, 500 HR
• 6 straight 40-HR seasons; 10 straight 30-HR seasons
• 3 50-HR seasons
• 2 MVPs (2003 & 2005)

In addition, he's on the short list of players who have led baseball in home runs, RBIs and runs in the same season:
Player    HR    RBIs    Runs
Alex Rodriguez, 2007    54    156    143
Roger Maris, 1961    61    142    132
Mickey Mantle, 1956    52    130    132
Johnny Mize, 1947    51    138    137
Ted Williams, 1942    36    137    141

Rodriguez loses the final $72 million in guaranteed salary in the contract, of which $21.3 million was to be covered by payments from the Texas Rangers to the Yankees, and becomes eligible for free agency. New York had said it would not attempt to re-sign A-Rod if he opted out.

Boras said during a telephone interview that Rodriguez made his choice because he was uncertain whether Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte would return to the Yankees.

"Alex's decision was one based on not knowing what his closer, his catcher and one of his statured pitchers was going to do," Boras said. "He really didn't want to make any decisions until he knew what they were doing."

Boras said he attempted to notify Yankees general manager Brian Cashman of the decision Sunday but couldn't reach him, so he left a voice mail.

"He was traveling and I was traveling," Boras said.

A-Rod, likely to win his third AL MVP award next month, made his decision before the Yankees announced a replacement for departed manager Joe Torre. Broadcaster Joe Girardi and bench coach Don Mattingly were the top contenders, and the team also interviewed first-base coach Tony Pena.

Texas turns out to be the biggest winner, saving the remaining money it would have had to pay New York as part of the 2004 trade. Boras said the Rangers remain responsible for $3 million in annual deferred money A-Rod is owed in the next three years under the contract.

"We're going to wait until we hear officially, but obviously it would be welcome news on our end," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Rodriguez hit .314 this year and led the major leagues in home runs and RBIs. He was announced as a winner of a Hank Aaron award for offensive achievement before Game 4 but was not on hand to receive it. Boras said Rodriguez had a family commitment.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Squishy face retard

Purge_WTF

Re: A-Rod opts out of contract
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »
  And the Spankees continue their downward spiral.  :D ;D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:12:43 PM »
Screw the yanks!!!
D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
Yankees are gonna have the highest payroll AND be in a rebuilding year in 08 !

fuck steinbrenner !

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:13:35 AM »
sad.....

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:14:25 AM »
Money is more important to A-Rod than winning a championship. That much is for certain.

Hey GRAPE APE.....Do you still think the Yankees are going to re-sign A-ROD if he opts out?

Please....A-ROd didn't as so much make it to the negotiation table. How delusional for Yankee fans to think that A-rod was going to remain a Yankee if he opted out.

He wants that second record setting contract. He's out to make as much money as possible, period. End of fucking story.

Red Sox nation--do not sign try to sign A-rod! He would be a cancer to the team.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:12:46 AM »
Money is more important to A-Rod than winning a championship. That much is for certain.

Hey GRAPE APE.....Do you still think the Yankees are going to re-sign A-ROD if he opts out?

Please....A-ROd didn't as so much make it to the negotiation table. How delusional for Yankee fans to think that A-rod was going to remain a Yankee if he opted out.

He wants that second record setting contract. He's out to make as much money as possible, period. End of fucking story.

Red Sox nation--do not sign try to sign A-rod! He would be a cancer to the team.

1. I'd take the money too.
2. He's the best player in baseball, he didn't make the Yankees lose.
3. Fuck the Yankees!  :-*

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:08:56 AM »
True....but the Yanks could kick our asses for the next million years and I wouldn't hate them as much as the Dolts and Manning. The yanks don't whine as much as the Colts do. I'd rather have a Mike lowell but Arod will be good for years to come. Pickj ur poison. Congrats to Red Sox Nation...now i can concentrate on watching TB and the pats dismantle the rest of the NFL. U gotta love a 15 yard scramble TD by Cassel. BB is saying fuck u to the rest of the NFL. I'd sell my right nut for a 60 point blow out in Indy next week.
L

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 09:24:35 AM »

1. I'd take the money too.
2. He's the best player in baseball, he didn't make the Yankees lose.
3. Fuck the Yankees!  :-*

Oh, I agree with all your points. I was mainly targeting Yankee fans who wrongly believed that Cashman and the Yanks were bluffing when they said they wouldn't sign A-Rod if he opts out.