Author Topic: Did Patriots run up the score?  (Read 10922 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Did Patriots run up the score?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
According to a story in today's Boston Herald, the Colts have filed a complaint with the league concerning scheduling.  Tony Dungy confirmed that a complaint was lodged.

Apparently, Bill Polian and company are upset that the Colts have to play a road game (in Carolina) after a short week.  They are also upset that the game comes immediately following Carolina's bye week.

Funny, I don't recall them complaining last season when the Patriots faced an even more intense version of that scenario - they played on the road in Minnesota on Monday night and then had to face a Colt team that was coming off it's bye week.  That game ended up being the tie breaker which gave the Colts home field in the AFCC game.

God, does the whining ever end with this guy???  Here's a partial list of Polian's complaints to the league over the past several years:

1. Complained about Pats use of injury timeouts after regular season game in 2003.

2. Complained about defensive contact after getting beaten in 2003 AFCC game, resulting in the "increased emphasis", the so-called "Patriot Act".

3. Complained to the league about the way compensatory draft picks are awarded after the 2004  season, saying that the Patriots were being awarded too many picks

4. Complained about the condition of the field at Gillette stadium before last year's game.  Once again Polian got his way, as the league into forcedthe Patriots to re-sod the field right before the game

5. Complained about the alleged rough treatment of the Colts' receivers in the Indy-Baltimore game just prior to the AFCC game, in an obvious attempt to plant a seed in the heads of the officials (judging by the calls the Colts got I'd say it worked).

I have an idea - how about they just cancel all the games from now on and have league officials meet every February and award the Colts the Lombardi Trophy?  Maybe that will stop Polian's whining...maybe.

POlian and Dingy are both on the competition committe....complete bullshit. I bet u wouldn't see Stallworth whining like a bitch if he was manhandled by a member of the Colts secondary..he run them the fuck over the next time he got the ball.

YES the hate keeps me warm....some people in NE hate the yanks..i hate the Dolts.
L

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
Yes, they ran the score up but the other team gets paid to stop them as well.

I don't want to hear the Patriots cry when somebody cheap shots Brady late in a game. 

I agree with this. I would have my guys blast Brady three times in a row late.

That would get him pulled when he is up by 4 tds.

If Brady gets hurt one of these days late in a blow out, how smart is Belicek going to look? He shouldn't be pulling him to prevent him from scoring, he should pull Brady before he gets hurt in a meaningless part of the game.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
After this game I think u'll see that if they continue this way..they have yet to have to play 60 full min of football.
L

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 08:04:55 PM »
After this game I think u'll see that if they continue this way..they have yet to have to play 60 full min of football.

I disagree. I think they have been playing a full 60 mins. That is why everyones panties are in a bunch about running up the score.

body88

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 08:42:45 PM »
I disagree. I think they have been playing a full 60 mins. That is why everyones panties are in a bunch about running up the score.

Not true , Matt C was in along with a bunch of third stringers long before the fourth q was over.

body88

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 09:54:44 PM »
The Colts have a classy organization, coach, and team.

The Patriots do not.

Hope this helps. 

Thats right tre. Ignore the fact the colts ran it up all through 2004. It is 100 percent fact the colts ran it up big time in 04. Why do you ignore this? I forgot when Dungy was bashing gays, or Manning was teabgging people and exposing himself to female trainers in college none of that counts. You hate the patriots because they win.

Bill Polian has called for rival teams players legs to be broken while abusing staff in the jets press box. Just last week Polian and Dungy where crying to the league about an unfair schedule. They have to play two road games in a short week. Boohoo superbowl champs, the pats did it in o4 as well as a few other teams also. How about Polian using his rules committee position to have rules "enforced". Gloating in an article about how the colts where far to good for networks like cbs to carry them more often because they sipmply blow people out. Not very classy if you ask me.

You paint with a broad brush out of hatred for a winning franchise. Please tell me the pats players that do so many unclassy things. There are plenty of classy patriots. How many arrests or legal issues have the pats had? Brady has always been a class act. As well as many many other pats players.

If the media is sick of the pats they should not have crowned them the classiest organization around up until a few years ago. They build you up then tear you down. All this negativity is great. Shows how people are taking shots at one of the two best franchise of the decade ( pats / colts). People are taking shots because the pats win and contend year after year while there own teams dont make the playoffs.

What team do you root for?

Wanocki

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 05:16:28 AM »
or Manning was teabagging female trainers in college 

where did you hear this ???

body88

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 05:22:12 AM »
where did you hear this ???

Back when Manning was at UT a female trainer reported Manning for exposing his ball bag to her. Manning claimed he was trying to "moon" his fellow teamates. As if showing a woman your nut sack from behind = mooning someone, haha. UT came to a settlement with the woman out of court and she moved out of town.

There was also a reported teabgging incident at some point but that one was just alleged. The exposing of the ball bag one was a legit issue settled by UT.

You never heard about this?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 07:11:02 AM »
There is more to it then this...I don't have the facts but it came up again because according to the settlement Manning was never supposed to bring it up but it came up ina book or interview  and she filed suit all over again or something along those lines.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 07:21:15 AM »
I'm done with the Pats bashing...lets review this so-called classy organization ok

How about this bullshit - March 29, 1984: "Like a Thief in the Night"

What could be worse than one city stealing another's football team? Before dawn on March 29, 1984, Robert Irsay's Baltimore Colts load up Mayflower moving vans and skulk off to Indianapolis.

Now the stroke of final indecency. Stealing away under the cover of darkness, like a common thief in the night. The Baltimore Colts, a once-proud and precious tradition, have apparently been kidnapped from their home and loved ones. It was this city that gave them birth and nurtured a franchise to the pinnacle of fame and fortune.

A despicable injustice. An outrage. First torture, then rape. It could, if the dastardly deed is done, be referred to as the murder of a football team in the first degree. Yes, a foul blow, but Baltimore will be back to rise above the cut-throat tactics that have been inflicted upon it by the sheer madness of money. (John Steadman, The News American, March 29, 1984)
I agree with all of this.  Unfortunately that's how capitalism works in the NFL...except for Green Bay.  Since GB is not owned by an individual, the team would be dissolved rather than relocated.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 07:34:29 AM »
Its an old story but there is more to it then just making money...fanbase/history etc..and they just moved in the middle of the night. Ok no big deal......but please don't call em classy. While i'm still ranting anybody see Patrick Crayton on NFL Live

Wingo:"So you don't think the Patriots are the best team?"

Crayton:"No, I think the Cowboys are the best team"

Wingo:"But they beat you by 20 whatever points"

Crayton:"Well, the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while.

They got frog stomped......enough already. If it were me, i'd say yeah they're a great team and we lost and we hope to get another crack at them. That would be it.
L

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
Polian is a whiner.  But he is trying to give his team every possible % chance of winning.  If re-sodding the grass gives Harrison a .2 second headstart over a defensive back, it could be the difference between winning and losing.

On the other hand - the Pats are ADMITTED cheaters.  I lost all respect for them.  In my eyes, their 8-0 record comes with an asterisk.  They admitted they broke league rules and stole opposing team info.  And since it came form a fmr coach with the Jets, it's safe to say the pats have records on most teams in the league.

Hard to respect admitted cheaters. 
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com

body88

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 08:45:34 AM »
Its an old story but there is more to it then just making money...fanbase/history etc..and they just moved in the middle of the night. Ok no big deal......but please don't call em classy. While i'm still ranting anybody see Patrick Crayton on NFL Live

Wingo:"So you don't think the Patriots are the best team?"

Crayton:"No, I think the Cowboys are the best team"

Wingo:"But they beat you by 20 whatever points"

Crayton:"Well, the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while.

They got frog stomped......enough already. If it were me, i'd say yeah they're a great team and we lost and we hope to get another crack at them. That would be it.

Crayton is a total bonehead. The funny part is the pats beat the cowboys minus there best tight end, There number one and two running backs and a hall of fame all pro defensive linemen. This clown is just another example of sour grapes and jealousy. I wonder what the score would have been if the Cowboys played minus Barber, Jones, Jason Whitton and There best defensive player who is not as good as Seymour.

I have no problem with a player thinking his team is better. Hell hate the pats all you want , god knows I hated the Yankees when they where dominant.. But don't sit there and throw shit around because you cant hang.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »
By a guy who would not be starting with Terry Glen in the line-up.  ::)...just shut up.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 10:57:59 AM »
So what if they ran up the score?

These are grown men, if they can't handle it they shouldn't be playing.

This isn't the "we don't keep score because we are sensitive to children's feelings" league.

body88

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 06:04:37 PM »
Polian is a whiner.  But he is trying to give his team every possible % chance of winning.  If re-sodding the grass gives Harrison a .2 second headstart over a defensive back, it could be the difference between winning and losing.

On the other hand - the Pats are ADMITTED cheaters.  I lost all respect for them.  In my eyes, their 8-0 record comes with an asterisk.  They admitted they broke league rules and stole opposing team info.  And since it came form a fmr coach with the Jets, it's safe to say the pats have records on most teams in the league.

Hard to respect admitted cheaters. 

The pats never admitted to stealing any team info. Stealing signals is perfectly legal and done by every team in the NFL. The pats got into trouble for having a video camera on the sidelines. Read the rule in the NFL handbook. You could use a microphone lip readers and a radio and you would be fine. You cannot have the video machine, that was the issue. Which by the mouth of the Comish himself had no outcome on the jets game at all. Further more the Comish said he was 100 percent confident the pats provided him with all the material he asked for dating back to 2001. Goodel then found no violation's with any of the tapes he looked at, Making your aterisk argument opinion, surley not fact. Further more Mangini said he was not the one who dimed out anyone.

If you think what the pats did was wrong fine. But please show me where the pats admitted to stealing other teams info. Also show me where the comish said the infraction led to an advantage in the jets game. He blatently said it did not. Then after reviewing all the information provided he said there was no further violations and that was that. Stop making things up.

body88

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »
Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars: “You play to win. If you can score, score. Your job, as a defense, as an opponent, is to slow them down. Offensively you want to score. Obviously, late in the fourth quarter you’re going to make sure your starters don’t get hurt and things like that going forward but you still keep playing football.”

Herm Edwards, Kansas City Chiefs: “I just think that obviously [the Patriots] are going at a pace right now, they’re just playing. They’re having fun playing football. You’re caught in a bad situation there when you have a lead like that. All coaches have been in that situation. Sometimes you’ve been the guy that had the lead and sometimes you’ve been the guy on the other side of it. And that’s what’s great about athletics. People always look into things, trying to figure out is there something that he’s trying to do or say. The coach that is winning, does he run the ball on fourth down or does he pass the ball on fourth down? I don’t know what to tell you. It’s just one of those deals. There’s a lot being made out of things and at the end I think the thing you’ve got to realize is this. You’ve got a team that is playing very very good, setting all kinds of record. When I watch those guys play, they’re having fun. They’re just having fun playing football.”

Brad Childress, Minnesota Vikings: “You’re talking about the Washington Redskins and one of the highest paid coaches in the National Football League and a staff full of head coaches and they’re coaching, too. Games can get left-handed like that, unfortunately, and New England has a way of making you be left-handed.”

Lane Kiffin, Oakland Raiders: “Coach Gibbs, I believe, said he had no issues with it. It’s so hard to win and so hard to score I don’t think that there really is running up the score. You’re just playing your players and trying to get better. In this league your backups do have so few opportunities to play that, from my perspective, if we were ever in that situation we would definitely run plays and put in some of our younger guys that otherwise don’t play.”

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers: “We’re responsible for keeping their score down. They aren’t. That’s just being competitive. That’s what this game is about. That’s what any game is about. I have no comment or opposition to them ringing up as many points as they’re capable of.”

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »
The pats never admitted to stealing any team info.

The pats got into trouble for having a video camera on the sidelines. Read the rule in the NFL handbook. You could use a microphone lip readers and a radio and you would be fine. You cannot have the video machine, that was the issue. Which by the mouth of the Comish himself had no outcome on the jets game at all. Further more the Comish said he was 100 percent confident the pats provided him with all the material he asked for dating back to 2001. Goodel then found no violation's with any of the tapes he looked at, Making your aterisk argument opinion, surley not fact. Further more Mangini said he was not the one who dimed out anyone.

Do you believe Mangini? 

And they violated a league rule to gain a compettiive advantage - that's cheating.

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »
Instead of crying about it, why didn't the Redskins put a big hit on Brady? 

If the Skins would have came to play then the Pats wouldnt have had to put a hurtn on them like they did.  I say run it up as far as they can.  Proving a point I think!
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

body88

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 05:58:55 AM »
Do you believe Mangini? 

And they violated a league rule to gain a compettiive advantage - that's cheating.

I think Mangini is a bad coach who tried to cover his own ass not realizing the shit storm he would release. Scott Piolli and the jets gm are very close friends. The media hyped this up , not the NFL. Mangini is getting ripped left and right now in days for his bad coaching. Not the outcome he hoped for I think. What I am saying is the NFL never said Mangini ratted anyone out. Your post rifles of things as fact that are not accurate. People know who did the ratting, but Mangini never said he did.

Also how exactly did the pat's gain any advantage from that tape vs the jets? The commishiner of the NFL said the tape had absolutely no outcome on the game. Thats what he said word for word. He then found no problem with any of the info he requested dating back to 2001.

The competative advantage came from having the video machine on the field. The NFL themselves said the pats did not benefit from the tape at all. Which makes your cheating point during the jets game moot.

Pretty sure teams violate leauge rules every day.  Just so happens the patriots are hated because they win a lot , and there head coach is not that great with the media , so the media went ape shit at the chance to go after him. Totally blown out of proportion  ::)

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 06:21:19 AM »
The competative advantage came from having the video machine on the field. The NFL themselves said the pats did not benefit from the tape at all. Which makes your cheating point during the jets game moot.

If you had to bed your life's savings here on this question...

Was this the first time the Pats had videotaped an opponent?

What would your answer be?

body88

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 06:55:17 AM »
If you had to bed your life's savings here on this question...

Was this the first time the Pats had videotaped an opponent?

What would your answer be?

Are you going to refute anything I say or keep asking me open ended questions? The commissioner of the NFL said flat out, " he was 100 percent certain the patriots had provided him with all the video , paperwork and documentation he had requested dating back to 2001". Goodel then flat out told Bob Costas he reserved the right to further punish the patriots if he found anything that violated league rules.

After reviewing the requested informantion Goodel found no evidence of further league violations and no further action was taken. So if the pats taped anyone nothing on those tapes violated any rules.

The NFL said they didn't have anything on any tapes that would cause further punishment. I personally think the patriots where scouting signs trying to gain a competative advantage, just like every other team in the NFL. The problem was they tried to expose a loophole in a rule and the comish did not agree. They where punished for having a video machine on the sideline. That was the competative advantage. Not the tape itself which was said by the comishiner himself to have had no outcome on the jets game at all.

The media took off with this. Trust me if Beli was lovable this would not have been what it was. You ever hear anyone accusing Mike Shanahan of cheating? Wonder why? During his sb runs he was cheating the cap putting more players on the field then he could afford. They got busted, punished and no one cared. To me thats a lot worse then trying to archive sings with a "video machine"

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2007, 07:03:32 AM »
Body we can't defend this. Not because its wrong, I think all kinds of competative edges are sought by everybody. We can't defend this because:

The Pats win to much now..imagine saying that 10 years ago ::)
BB is a friggen grouch
Nobody here plays or coaches, nor has ties to the NFL and can't relate. I think thats big. We view it as fans and as a game, they view it as a business with alot riding on it and we, as fans,can't relate. The Pats got caught doing something that everybody does.

I'd be alot madder if BB or Brady started saying things like, " we feel we're the better team even though we lost' or Pioli and Kraft started whining to the NFL about rules and scheduals. Hell real fans opf the Dolts have come out and atleast admited that Polian is out of control and that having the coach and GM on the comp committe is a bad idea.

L

body88

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2007, 07:43:13 AM »
I agree with you. People just hate the pats like people hated the cowboys years ago. Because they win.

My point is half the people throwing things out there don't even know what they are talking about. The biggest thing being the fact Goodel flat out said "the tape" had no outcome on any game this year. Not to mention he found no wrong doing after investigating the pats paperwork and video all the way back to 2001.

The pats got into trouble for having a "video machine" as the rule states on the field taping. Those are the facts.

body88

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2007, 07:46:47 AM »
Tre check out these examples dating all the way back to 98 of that classy guy Dungy running it up! Do you think he's classless now or are you going to rationalize this disgusting display of arrogant behavior? What's with all these examples of those classy colts scoring points late in the fourth when the game is out of hand?

1998 Week 17 (with Tampa Bay): Up 28-0 vs. Cincinnati, Dungy has starting RB Mike Alstott, still in the game, score a TD with under 10 minutes to go to push the score to 35-0. Alstott was Pro Bowler that year.

2000 Week 2 (with Tampa Bay): Up 34-0 vs. Chicago in the 4th Quarter, Pro Bowl starting RB Mike Alstott is still in the game and scores Tampa's final TD to make the score 41-0.

2000 Week 9 (with Tampa Bay): Up 34-13 with 5 minutes to go vs. Minnesota, Dungy has starting QB Shaun King throw a 16 yard TD pass to starting WR Reidel Anthony to make the score 41-13.

2001 Week 10 (with Tampa Bay): Up 33-14 with less than 10 minutes to go, has starting QB Brad Johnson throw a TD to make the score 40-14. Later, Ronde Barber intercepts a pass and returns it for a TD right at the two minute warning. That makes the score 46-21 BEFORE THE CONVERSION. At the two minute warning, Dungy GOES FOR TWO and gets it to make the final 48-21.

2004 Week 13 (with Indy): Versus Tennessee in the 4th Quarter, Dungy has Peyton Manning throw a TD pass to Reggie Wayne to make the score 48-24. Later in the 4th Quarter, he kicks a field goal to make the score 51-24.

2004 Playoffs (with Indy): Up 42-24 versus Denver at two minutes left, Dungy has his team punch in another TD to make the score 49-24.

2005 Week 5 (with Indy): Up 21-3 with less than 6 minutes left vs. San Francisco (who ended up with less than 200 yard offense for the day), Dungy has Manning throw a TD pass from 18 yards out to make the score 28-3.

2004 Week 9 (with Indy): Versus the Patriots and up 40-21 with under 6 minutes to play, Dungy goes for 2 after the final Indy TD. They don't get it.

2006 Week 2 (with Indy): Up 36-17 with 2:38 left in the game, Dungy has the Colts punch in another TD to make the score 43-17

2007 Week 7 (with Indy): Up 22-7 with under 4 minutes to play, Manning throws a 35 yard TD pass to Dallas Clark to make the score 29-7