Author Topic: Great things from Yoke practice!  (Read 1755 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Great things from Yoke practice!
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
So as you may know I made my own yoke and put it to a little over 600lbs to practice with. I need more weight but Im not sure the bar can take anymore abuse. Thats beside the point. What I want to report is the the other things that have been made better since using the yoke only a few times.

Number One has got to be Core strength. I hate that term but its true. I definately have noticed that I am a lot more solid in every movement now. I unracked 315 for reps in squat and usually I feel the bar on my traps, pressing into them, but this time it was like it wasnt even there! Typically you steady yourself well when walking out of the rack even with 315 but I took huge steps back like it wasnt there.

Next is that through the feeling of weightlessness your confidence is increased. Given you dont need it for 315 but I imagine when attempting higher numbers it would help immensely due to the fact that you KNOW you can walk around with more on your back than what you squat.

I think that between these two things the benefit of Yoke work is undeniable. Give it a try and see if it does the same for you. My yoke is seriously unstable which Im sure helps my stability even more but it should be near the same effect. Anyone have any experience with this implement?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Great things from Yoke practice!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:05:16 AM »
Excellent post!

i've never used a yoke so i don't have any comments.

8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »
Thanks. :D

I want some other people (*cough*wicked*cough) to try it and tell me how it helped. I have never felt so steady on my feet as I do now and weights feel lighter. I may not be able to go much higher than I have before, havent tried, but everything feels easier. Maybe stability is just something I needed more of? I think we could all use a little more.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
at my old gym we had one of the best Yoke walk guys i've ever seen, Willie Wessels, Willie could move faster with a 800-900 pound yoke than anyone i've ever seen, it was freakish to watch.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »
at my old gym we had one of the best Yoke walk guys i've ever seen, Willie Wessels, Willie could move faster with a 800-900 pound yoke than anyone i've ever seen, it was freakish to watch.

No shit?! He runs NAS now. Never seen him in action though. Check out the 2006 IFSA, 900lb yoke I think and some of those guy were running with it!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:41:56 PM »
No shit?! He runs NAS now. Never seen him in action though. Check out the 2006 IFSA, 900lb yoke I think and some of those guy were running with it!
yeah Willie and his wife Dionne run it, nice people, Willie was one of the top 242'ers in the world at one time, 1003 squat, 661 bench and 799 deadlift and then turned into one of the best light heavyweight strongmen in the country, saw him one arm snatch a 150 pound dumbbell one time like it was a broomstick.