Author Topic: who could be mr olympia if they hadnt retired?  (Read 3882 times)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: who could be mr olympia if they hadnt retired?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »
vic richards... would have made haney look like a school kid

MRMD2003

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »
Kev Levrone if he would have won last attempt and trained for a full year and not  12-16 weeks like he usually did. the fact that nhe could train for such a short period of time and still be a top tier pro is impressive.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
Maybe Levrone.
Maybe Mentzer.

Shawn Ray and Mike Francois - never in a million years, although Shawn was probably the best physique never to win the Olympia. It just that he was up against Dorian for most of it and some dodgy judging decisions in 94 and 96.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »
no way.

dan was natural and hadn't shown any sign of learning the dark side before he retired.
::)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:30 AM »
mike francois was a beat. jay cutler of the early 90's.

back to the topic... if sergio oliva had stuck with it and used those 3 years, from 72 to 75, to get slightly bigger and more ripped, i think he could have taken franco and zane easily in the coming years after 1975 (forget him taking arnold), and then gone on to retire with a few more o's under his belt.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 01:26:12 AM »
mike francois was a beat. jay cutler of the early 90's.

back to the topic... if sergio oliva had stuck with it and used those 3 years, from 72 to 75, to get slightly bigger and more ripped, i think he could have taken franco and zane easily in the coming years after 1975 (forget him taking arnold), and then gone on to retire with a few more o's under his belt.
Agree totally its a pity that Sergio was no Lap Dog in finishing to Arnold 2nd all the time,Though to me Serge Nubret was a complete package and had he continued in the IFBB he would have been multiple MrO,But unfortunately the two were not Joe Weiders pets.
Have seen some Footage of the 72 Mro and it was very close between Arnold and Sergio, They were both Greats
Arnold For President 2012.2016

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 01:33:12 AM »
Been watching a lot of clips on youtube on Lee Haney.One Word incredible.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 01:50:24 AM »
Agree totally its a pity that Sergio was no Lap Dog in finishing to Arnold 2nd all the time,Though to me Serge Nubret was a complete package and had he continued in the IFBB he would have been multiple MrO,But unfortunately the two were not Joe Weiders pets.
Have seen some Footage of the 72 Mro and it was very close between Arnold and Sergio, They were both Greats

serge had a fantastic front upperbody, but couldnt compare to arnold in that and other respects. im an arnold guy, but from a judging pov, i would place arnold first. maybe i am bias and dont realise it... anyway, no question oliva would beat franco. it would be worse than jay winning in 07 if franco got the win over an improved sergio. but u know joe would pull a trick to stop sergio from competing or get him in bad shape, etc.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 06:27:04 AM »
::)

sarcasm lost on you bug? :-\

as usual with joe weider it comes down to dollars and cents.

he knew oliva was the best in the world. hell, everyone knew, but sergio was a black man living in a country where money and power was white.

sergio wasn't appreciated as a great bber or even a man. he was viewed in awe as a spectacle, 'the 4 legged man'. kind of how you might look at a massive silver back gorrilla at the zoo.

if you were a black athlete beating white athletes in america at that time and you wanted to get paid, you had better be a LOT MORE charismatic than every other guy (eg. cassius clay aka muhammad ali) or you went on the scrap heap like every other great black athlete that was naive enough to think that they were actually 'equal' or remotely close.

didn't matter that oliva and nubret weren't even from america, weider knew why they didn't sell and he wasn't about to waste his time and money trying to figure out how to whiten them up and he sure as hell wasn't going to turn oliva and nubret, who could barely speak english and were introverted like most bbers, into an ali. apart from anything else, bbing didn't have anything close to the paying fan base of boxing and never would have.

did weider feel a sense of compassion or concience? afterall, didn't anti-semitic prejudices cause it's fair share of persecution of the jews? have people of jewish origin ever given 2 shits about persecution of anyone but jews? ...and since when did persecution or racism get in the way of making a dollar for a jewish man?

hell no, if joe couldn't find a white man in america that he could make mr olympia with any credibility, he was going to import one from...austria...the son of a nazi...oh, the irony. ;D

enter arnold. while the myth was working 2 jobs to make ends meet while maintaining his status as the best physique on the planet (by far), arnold was flown from austria, cabbed from the air port to a hotel room, fed, clothed, an apartment provided, immediately put on a wage and introduced to white power and money, the movers and shakers baby, the real deal minus the white hoods. during the day, when arnold wasn't in the gym which he had mostly to himself at 10:00am (apart from adoring training partners to boost his ego, change his weights and sit on his back for sets of donkey raises), he could be found sunning himself, smoking pot and cruising free sex on the balmy beaches of california. ahhhhh...

meanwhile, in a butcher shop somewhere in chicago, sergio slaved away 12 hour days + 3 hours in a gym, sleep a few hours and do it again.

so, sergio not being a stupid man and with all his senses intact, starts to compare his lot with arnold's lot. afterall he was king of the hill, not arnold. :-\

well, not one to get too caught up in negativity, he figured, "oh, what the hell, i'll just beat him at the upcoming mr o and i'll get mine."

so he did and....nothing..."hmmm, ok then, if old schmoe not goin to pay me, i'm going to get mine somewhere else."

boom, just the reason joe needed to remove his rising star's biggest threat (irony...wasn't arnold supposed to be the threat?). sergio was gone and he wasn't going to get back in. joe wasn't going to risk his prize investment ever again and when another black bber, nubret, came knocking at the door of arnold's supremacy, joe did exactly the same again. luckily, nubret stayed in his native land and was honoured there. unfortunately, returning to cuba was not an option for sergio as he had defected from that country and the penalty for defecting to castro's sworn enemy, america, would have probably meant sergio oliva would have never been seen or heard of again. :-X

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 06:34:04 AM »
sarcasm lost on you bug? :-\

as usual with joe weider it comes down to dollars and cents.

he knew oliva was the best in the world. hell, everyone knew, but sergio was a black man living in a country where money and power was white.

sergio wasn't appreciated as a great bber or even a man. he was viewed in awe as a spectacle, 'the 4 legged man'. kind of how you might look at a massive silver back gorrilla at the zoo.

if you were a black athlete beating white athletes in america at that time and you wanted to get paid, you had better be a LOT MORE charismatic than every other guy (eg. cassius clay aka muhammad ali) or you went on the scrap heap like every other great black athlete that was naive enough to think that they were actually 'equal' or remotely close.

didn't matter that oliva and nubret weren't even from america, weider knew why they didn't sell and he wasn't about to waste his time and money trying to figure out how to whiten them up and he sure as hell wasn't going to turn oliva and nubret, who could barely speak english and were introverted like most bbers, into an ali. apart from anything else, bbing didn't have anything close to the paying fan base of boxing and never would have.

did weider feel a sense of compassion or concience? afterall, didn't anti-semitic prejudices cause it's fair share of persecution of the jews? have people of jewish origin ever given 2 shits about persecution of anyone but jews? ...and since when did persecution or racism get in the way of making a dollar for a jewish man?

hell no, if joe couldn't find a white man in america that he could make mr olympia with any credibility, he was going to import one from...austria...the son of a nazi...oh, the irony. ;D

enter arnold. while the myth was working 2 jobs to make ends meet while maintaining his status as the best physique on the planet (by far), arnold was flown from austria, cabbed from the air port to a hotel room, fed, clothed, an apartment provided, immediately put on a wage and introduced to white power and money, the movers and shakers baby, the real deal minus the white hoods. during the day, when arnold wasn't in the gym which he had mostly to himself at 10:00am (apart from adoring training partners to boost his ego, change his weights and sit on his back for sets of donkey raises), he could be found sunning himself, smoking pot and cruising free sex on the balmy beaches of california. ahhhhh...

meanwhile, in a butcher shop somewhere in chicago, sergio slaved away 12 hour days + 3 hours in a gym, sleep a few hours and do it again.

so, sergio not being a stupid man and with all his senses intact, starts to compare his lot with arnold's lot. afterall he was king of the hill, not arnold. :-\

well, not one to get too caught up in negativity, he figured, "oh, what the hell, i'll just beat him at the upcoming mr o and i'll get mine."

so he did and....nothing..."hmmm, ok then, if old schmoe not goin to pay me, i'm going to get mine somewhere else."

boom, just the reason joe needed to remove his rising star's biggest threat (irony...wasn't arnold supposed to be the threat?). sergio was gone and he wasn't going to get back in. joe wasn't going to risk his prize investment ever again and when another black bber, nubret, came knocking at the door of arnold's supremacy, joe did exactly the same again. luckily, nubret stayed in his native land and was honoured there. unfortunately, returning to cuba was not an option for sergio as he had defected from that country and the penalty for defecting to castro's sworn enemy, america, would have probably meant sergio oliva would have never been seen or heard of again. :-X

Summed up perfectly.Its a pity the Weiders were not in Germany promoting BB in WW2

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 06:35:26 AM »
andreas munzer

Munzer never retired officially.......

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 06:37:02 AM »
Munzer never retired officially.......

there goes sarcasm again...

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 06:40:27 AM »
Summed up perfectly.Its a pity the Weiders were not in Germany promoting BB in WW2

if he was, i wonder if the schwarzeneggers would have shown him the same favour???

for those with a limited grasp of sarcasm, this is more of it... :D

ok ok, i know it's the lowest form of wit, but peasants gotta eat too. >:(

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
Shawn, Kev, Flex, Mentzer, Padilla, Bertil,....

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »
Danny "Kick the Bucket" Puckett
The Number 2 in Scranton

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2007, 01:37:13 AM »
bertil fox for sure. he was a beast, comparable mass to oliva, but didnt have the width to match him.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2007, 12:47:54 PM »
bertil fox for sure. he was a beast, comparable mass to oliva, but didnt have the width to match him.

bertil fox had sick size and density in the upper body, especially arms and chest.

looked awesome in mags but faded a bit when on stage with guys like haney. haney made him look smallish standing next to him.

don't know why that was the case exactly. maybe pre-contest diets fucked him up, drug intake, who knows ???

fakeblood

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2007, 03:32:29 PM »
lou!!!!!!!!! looked amazing in 94

DAGON666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • FALLING ANGEL
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »
That cat Phil Hernon had much potential, its too bad!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »
That cat Phil Hernon had much potential, its too bad!

Phil Hernon was a FREAK of the first order 5'7" 240 pounds

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2007, 01:12:59 AM »
look at the waist on hernon. tiny.

bertil fox had sick size and density in the upper body, especially arms and chest.

looked awesome in mags but faded a bit when on stage with guys like haney. haney made him look smallish standing next to him.

don't know why that was the case exactly. maybe pre-contest diets fucked him up, drug intake, who knows ???

well in the 82 or 83 olympia (where he posed to caribean music) he was ripped to shreds and big as a house. got any pics of him vs haney?

Oz Boy

• Getbig I
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2007, 03:41:09 AM »
G'day all,

i would have loved to Brian Buchanan keep at it. Competed in 87 & 88 O's and placed top 10 in both. Incredible back, taper, chest & arms!! Not the best legs we all no but nor did Haney.
Gary Strydom is another. if he didnt go to WBF he would have been right up there in the 91, 92 O's