Author Topic: If you were an animal.....  (Read 6153 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: If you were an animal.....
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
A Belgian Draft Horse:

I've been to horse pulls before and while I'm sure it's not cruel  ??? I find it difficult to watch  :-\  They are beautiful animals tho (actually, any horse is beautiful to me)
:

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 12:25:17 PM »
He looks like he has short legs.
Nope.  I've seen them in person.  I'm 6'1 and the top of a Belgian draft horse's leg start right about my forehead. They are HUGE!!!!  :o So are the Perchuran draft horses. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
I've been to horse pulls before and while I'm sure it's not cruel  ??? I find it difficult to watch  :-\  They are beautiful animals tho (actually, any horse is beautiful to me)
I can understand that, but remember this is what they are breed for.  The Amish are very prevalent where my wife is from, and they rely on these horses as part of their livelihood.  Also, I've been to the wagon competitions that they have, and believe me, these horses are pampered, as they should be.  They are very gracious in their movement and appearance for being such large animals. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
Nope.  I've seen them in person.  I'm 6'1 and the top of a Belgian draft horse's leg start right about my forehead. They are HUGE!!!!  :o So are the Perchuran draft horses. 

belgians average about 1800 lbs with larger ones being 2000-2200

Percherons are larger with an average weight fo about 1900-2000 lbs and its not uncommon to see them up to 2400 lbs. 

My wife keeps threatening to get a Belgian for me to ride. The last time I was on her quarterhorse, the old mare was literally swaybacked when I got off (my 300+lbs was a bit much for the old girl--she's only 1100) and all I did was just walk her around the roundpen. 

I'd like to get a big warmblood to joust with.   ;D  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 01:33:36 AM »
He looks like he has short legs.

...and no neck, ...it's poifect.  :P
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »
changed my mind again (hey, I'm only human....

I wanna be a sloth:

"The sloth is a slow-moving mammal that lives in trees. Sloths spend most of their lives hanging upside-down from tree branches; they eat, sleep, mate, and give birth upside-down in the trees. They hold onto tree branches with strong, curved claws that are on each of their four feet.

Male sloths are solitary, shy animals. Females sometimes congregate together. Sloths are nocturnal; they are most active at night and sleep all day.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
A lion hands down. They have a harem...and All they do is lay around while the women go out and hunt and make little lions.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 05:24:01 AM »

In my early 20s i dated a girl, whos dad had among many horses- 2 Belgians. They were the meanest, horses Ive ever been around. If you walked around the back side of them you would get whomped. At night her dad would bring all his horses in and leave the Belgians outside. He told me if they could get off there teather they would kick the other horses to death. After almost getting clobbered by one I believe it.
X

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 08:46:41 PM »
In my early 20s i dated a girl, whos dad had among many horses- 2 Belgians. They were the meanest, horses Ive ever been around. If you walked around the back side of them you would get whomped. At night her dad would bring all his horses in and leave the Belgians outside. He told me if they could get off there teather they would kick the other horses to death. After almost getting clobbered by one I believe it.

That sounds like a pair of asshole horses who needed to be trained.  Its unusual for Belgians to be like that (more likely in other breeds).  What did he use them for?