Author Topic: 'Hardest training bodybuilder'  (Read 38307 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: 'Hardest training bodybuilder'
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
CONT.

Even on humid, summer, 95-degree, N.J. days, I made my favorite body part my legs.

DRAGONSLAYER RIPPED THICK LEGS

I did so many varying forms of squats and so many sets you could not count them on an Abacus. In fact, as a 19 year old, I actually squatted to depth with 780 lbs. I was about 218 pounds and someone told me at that time it was close to a 220-pound class world record.

I could give a sh*t. I just liked the way it felt to load the weights on a squat bar and see and feel the bar bounce up and down. Later on, when I was in California, I did work out in the same gym as Dr. Squat Hatfield as he was moving in on the 1,000-pound squat and with Cory Everson, along with my partner Lee Haney. I mention Cory because she was one tough cookie, too, and one day on her double split, she actually did 87 sets of legs!

At any rate while still in N.J., my gym owner had to buy special bars because I bent so many of them. Tom Platz was famous for 315 pounds for 50 reps. Well, I did 30 reps once with 495 pounds. I remember fantasizing that I was a Barbarian warrior and that if I could not finish my workout my family and I would be executed.

A guy named David Sinott was my training partner. Today he trains celebrities like Demi Moore. (Now you know who keeps that 40-year-old, Charlie’s Angel babe seducing 25 year olds.) I had one goal on leg day and that was to make David lose his stomach contents.

We started the workout with pre-exhaust, direct, thigh leg extensions. I warmed up my quads with 200 lbs. and continuously increased the weights until I got the stack of 350 lbs. with jacked-intensity drop sets, the last two sets.

I would do three drop sets (also called extended sets) and on the last drop set I would go beyond sanity into the world of negatives. When I got to the top of the extension I would hold the weight up and Dave would push on my shins to get the weight down. I would hold it as hard as I could and he would push with all his strength to the bottom. By the end of this, my legs were on fire and severely pumped (and so were his triceps).

Then I went to the 45-degree angle leg press. This was one of my favorites because I could really load on the weights. I did a light set of five, 45-lb. plates on each side for 15 reps. I moved along for sets of 15 reps. On the last set I had 15, 45-lb. plates on EACH side (lots of sets) and Dave was sitting on top of the machine (another 200 pounds). That was 30 x 45 lbs. plus 200 lbs., or 15 reps with 1750 lbs. counting the carriage. After the 15 reps, Dave got off, stripped two plates, and I did another 12 reps. He took two more plates off each time and I’d crank out 12 or more reps.

I couldn’t even count the sets. I actually popped blood vessels in my eyes. They were bright, rose red. Dave would try to follow with somewhat less intensity and he would die a dozen deaths and lose his potassium in the garbage can, but at least his blood pressure was not 300/110.

By this time I was solo. I went to Smith machine squats. With this exercise I moved my feet forward to give my quads even more play. Since I was plenty warm I started with three, 45-lb. plates on each side, 15 reps. I increased the weight 45 pounds on each side until I got to six plates each side for 15 reps.

My next exercise was the reverse Smith machine lunge supersetted with sissy squats. I did three sets of 15 reps on each exercise and I made it as high as two, 45-lb. plates on the lunges. I would hold a 45-lb. plate on my chest for the sissies. My eyes and thighs were even redder and my thighs were like Mount St, Helens, (not the big-breasted girl doing lap dances, but that Volcano in Washington State).

I took a breather for 10 minutes and drank a half gallon of water. I wore skimpy tight Hotskin shorts so I could see my thighs get huge, veiny and ripped to the femur. I was almost capillary comatose!

Now, Dave had regained some cell equilibrium and came back to join me for hamstring hell. I started with lying leg curls. We did five sets and on the last set I used the stack and did three drop sets. From there we did negatives. I would hold my legs straight out and Dave would pull my ankles downward while I tried to prevent him from doing it.

I was about done. At the end, I did stiff-leg deadlifts, super strict and slow four sets of 15 reps with 225 lbs. God that was it. I was totally cooked and felt my legs throbbing.

Those leg days bring back chills. Those leg workouts pushed me to be the second best male bodybuilder in the IFFB pro ranks at the time. I was Lee Haney’s training partner, but I never beat him. You can talk to anyone from those days. Relative to those before and his then contemporaries, Lee was the greatest who ever lived. Did I have Lee’s genetic size, bone structure and shape? No way, not even close. This guy was an athlete (and gentleman).

But I can say this and Lee would agree – no one, not anyone, ever out-trained me. No one had more gut-busting intensity than I did, especially on legs! I was, after all, the Dragonslayer (Jeff Everson named me that in 1987) and this is the kind of leg workout you must do! Now go get it on!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 04:01:16 PM »
i remember reading that in Planet Muscle a few years ago Wes, good stuff.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
i remember reading that in Planet Muscle a few years ago Wes, good stuff.
Gets me psyched to train every time I read it Dave !!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »
Gets me psyched to train every time I read it Dave !!
hell yeah Rich was a maniac, brings me back to when i fist got interested in bb'ing around 85-86 and looking through the old Flex's with him, Haney, Strydom, Christian, Bertil, etc., awesome stuff, those guys back then flat out TRAINED.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »
Trained thgeir balls off and looked far better than the "pros" of today.

I bet George Turner trained harder than most pros do today.......seriously.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
Trained thgeir balls off and looked far better than the "pros" of today.

I bet George Turner trained harder than most pros do today.......seriously.
hahahaha, dude George is AWESOME, talked to him many times, he has some stories that will blow your mind, about Grimek, Reeves, Paul Anderson, Chuck Ahrens, Reg park and all those legends, he is a CHARACTER, he trained one of the best small bb'ers i've ever seen Clif Koons.

Lamplighterx

• Getbig III
  • I support the Wizard of Truth
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »

This guy was a damn hard worker in the gym
Proud to be a member of Team Nasser

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »
Cliff Koons was great!!

Jeff King,Chris Aceto,Rich Roy,and Joe Gomes used to train at my gym.............good old days with no primadonna shit.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
Cliff Koons was great!!

Jeff King,Chris Aceto,Rich Roy,and Joe Gomes used to train at my gym.............good old days with no primadonna shit.
Jeff used to train here in St. Louis at George's gyms from time to time, the original Quadzilla.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
Yup,when he left Springfield (Mass.) he moved to St. Louis.

He`s now a physical therapist or a chiropractor in Greenfield Mass.

weighs a lean 200 pounds or so....still trains but just to stay in shape.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 04:15:13 PM »

he's unreal, i'd have literally paid to see him train, Tony Pearson, Waller and some of the other guys used to train at Turner's places, George was big here in St. Louis for awhile.

Epic_Monster

• Getbig V
  • "Let me pose on this one" - REV. X
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
You bitches are way off!! King Brent Harvey wins hands down!!
Spirit of Truth

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »
hell yeah Rich was a maniac, brings me back to when i fist got interested in bb'ing around 85-86 and looking through the old Flex's with him, Haney, Strydom, Christian, Bertil, etc., awesome stuff, those guys back then flat out TRAINED.

You can definitely get into the "cheese" factor with articles like that.  
But, there is something really rare and bad ass about workouts like that.  When you hit that groove and really push yourself to your limit, it's nothing something that just happens.  It's not something you can just do any time.  

I've been all over the country.  I've met people from everywhere.  I studied the Holocaust in Poland for a semester in College.  I've worked with one of the top cardiologists in the country.  Of all the cool things I've been lucky to do, as lame as it sounds (and it is very lame) many of my most vivid memories are of training in various forms.  

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
You can definitely get into the "cheese" factor with articles like that.  
But, there is something really rare and bad ass about workouts like that.  When you hit that groove and really push yourself to your limit, it's nothing something that just happens.  It's not something you can just do any time.  

I've been all over the country.  I've met people from everywhere.  I studied the Holocaust in Poland for a semester in College.  I've worked with one of the top cardiologists in the country.  Of all the cool things I've been lucky to do, as lame as it sounds (and it is very lame) many of my most vivid memories are of training in various forms.  

all kidding aside ther are VERY VERY FEW guys who train as hard as you, you're a beast.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
DORIAN YATES

The Hardest and Most Dense Bodybuilder Ever!

Everyone knows I have a reputation for training brutally hard, I mean very hard! (It is the only way to win a Mr. Olympia that is for sure, especially six). But hard training is not a be-all and end-all. It has to be the best, right training.

You must force muscle to grow, to adapt to higher work-loads. The basis is, for example, a set of barbell curls for 8-12 reps with a weight that you barely can make 8-reps. Once you make 12, you increase the weight so you go back to barely making 8-reps.

Your bottom line is that progressive overload forces muscle to grow but WITHOUT over-training or injuring yourself!

Remember though that the weight load doesn’t matter as long as you go to “failure” and use maximum intensity in reasonable form. (Then, you allow that muscle to recover and saturate it with DYA proteins in the interim)!

In Speed-Strength & Sport, the guys are lifters and they must do singles and doubles, maybe triples, to develop power and form but you are a bodybuilder and must also work for mass.

So, overload is a must. Now I do forced reps. This is an advanced training technique to extend my sets, to work harder! For instance, for incline barbell presses, I fail at 8, but I have my spotter assist “a bit” to help me make 2 more reps (forced reps).

I also use what is called “rest-pause” Let’s say I am doing a set of seated dumbbell presses and I fail at 8 with 2 more forced reps. At that point, I rest ONLY 10 seconds in order to regain some strength. Then I’ll do another rep. I’ll rest another 10 seconds and do another and a final rep. You can use rest-pause with a partner and forced reps by yourself!

Forced reps are “positive work” but I also used negative work to go ‘beyond failure’. I do 8 reps in the triceps pushdown and my partner assists me on 2 forced reps.

Then my partner helped me raise the stack until my arms were in the fully extended near-lockout position. Once here, I lowered, fought and resisted the weight down! This double stressed the muscle big-time. However, I only used this on very select exercises, not squats!

I like extended sets. Say, you are doing seated dumbbell curls. I’ll drop the dumbbells at the point of failure at 8 reps and 2 forced -- and pick up a lighter pair and do another 2-3 reps. This is intensity past the point of failure.

If forced reps prove too tough or are impractical, try partials. Once you reach failure, say, doing dumbbell laterals, you can continue to move the dumbbell’s up but you’ll not be able to make full reps. It might be 3/4 or 1/2 reps then less. Finally you should not be able to move them at all. This fries your muscle!

When you hit a period of no gain on a muscle, try pre-exhaustion. Pre-exhaust your pectoral (chest) muscles working its prime mover function (horizontal abduction).

Do a set of cable flyes to failure. Then, immediately go to an exercise which works the muscle again, but uses an assisting muscle. In this case, bench presses.

The cable flyes blast your pecs but now benches utilize also your triceps and delts so you work your pectorals again! I really like pre-exhaust on large body parts like thighs and back. When working thighs, I do 3 sets of leg extensions to failure and then do leg presses.

Most bodybuilders don’t do it this way and do leg presses or squats first as they’ve learned from lifters but they want strength not size. So I can’t use as much weight as I usually can in leg presses. This also saves my joints!

I kept my sets rather low because I trained so intense! I never did more than five sets for an exercise counting warm-ups, even as a beginner. Over the years, I began to do a “one-all-out-main set” for each exercise, following 2 warm-up sets, so 3 sets in total.

But I must say, it took me almost 10 years to learn the nuances of bodybuilding, to understand what really worked best for me. I think beginners need a couple more sets to learn technique and to generate the necessary muscle pathways and of course, the older you get or the more injuries you have, the intensity one can train with in terms of a percent of maximum goes down. For example, one sprints until age 30 and jogs thereafter.

Beginners should not use forced or negative reps. I trained for 12 months before I tried a forced rep and only after two years of workouts did I begin to employ them regularly. For a beginner, going to failure generates enough muscular stress. The “newness” of your body to the rigors of weight-training guarantees the correct muscle-building response will occur. As you progress, you must choose the point at which you can honestly apply the one-main-set system.

HERE IS A DORIAN SET of INCLINE PRESSES:

Do 2-3 warm-up sets with 15 down to 8 reps. Then load up the bar with the maximum poundage for 8 reps to failure and get 2 forced reps. Then do a couple of negative reps or 2-3 rest-pause reps.

For anyone trying this one-set system, if you feel you can attempt a second set, then you couldn’t have been pulling out all the stops during the first set. Now there are many roads to Rome obviously since Lee Priest is pretty damn big and he does LOTS of sets, but I’ve never been a believer in volume work.

I think that one set with 100% intensity (sort of 8-13 reps or more movements) does the job. But one set of 1-3 reps would not build muscle size, you see. Bodybuilding is different than Olympic or powerlifting. It’s my contention that doing too many sets if they are high-intensity is over training and you will not recover.

I cannot stress enough, in all honesty, how important it is to use my DYA ProPeptide protein. All the top guys and women all over the world are using it, despite what they may or may not endorse. This is a fact.

I find it interesting that before I even really knew him, Jeff Everson and Planet Muscle, was the ONLY magazine smart and honest enough to rank DYA at the top, even though I was NOT an advertiser in his magazine! This says something about integrity. Now I do advertise because of this! His magazine is the only one with the reputation for accepting tested proteins and ads from companies who do not mislead consumers.

My DYA-ProPeptide formula is very high in REAL anti-catabolic micellar casein and the best whey complex for anabolism. It also has special probiotics for digestion and absorption.

If you are serious then you should be using it a minimum of 3-times each day.

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
it seems that each generation has the hardest training guy.

arnold
platz
gaspari
yates
coleman

now.......??

hardest ever?

i would have to say ronnie and dorian.

not many could keep up with ronnie, eventhough he didnt push himself as hard as yates.

not many could keep dorian's routines and strict form.

strict form and forced reps = brutal.

goes to show; two of the best are also two of the hardest.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
Platz ... HANDS DOWN !! The Guy was a fucking MANIAC !!

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 12:24:25 AM »

How lean is lean?  For 5'11, that is still decent size if he is under 10%.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 01:05:46 AM »
Arnold was quoted saying that Casey Viator was the hardest training bb ever. "If I had to train like that I'd take up skiing", was the quote I believe.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:17 AM »
How lean is lean?  For 5'11, that is still decent size if he is under 10%.
225 pounds at 10% is more realistic, measured properly,Truly the only way to get a spot on bodyfat test is a hydrstactic test immersing you in water not exactly sure how it works but when i was at university my friend underwent the test and he measured 5%
Arnold was quoted saying that Casey Viator was the hardest training bb ever. "If I had to train like that I'd take up skiing", was the quote I believe.
When i was on everything and lifted heavy Casey Viator would have destroyed me, i remember Arthur Jones and im sure Casey was a student of his.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2007, 01:24:24 AM »
CONT.

Even on humid, summer, 95-degree, N.J. days, I made my favorite body part my legs.

DRAGONSLAYER RIPPED THICK LEGS

I did so many varying forms of squats and so many sets you could not count them on an Abacus. In fact, as a 19 year old, I actually squatted to depth with 780 lbs. I was about 218 pounds and someone told me at that time it was close to a 220-pound class world record.

I could give a sh*t. I just liked the way it felt to load the weights on a squat bar and see and feel the bar bounce up and down. Later on, when I was in California, I did work out in the same gym as Dr. Squat Hatfield as he was moving in on the 1,000-pound squat and with Cory Everson, along with my partner Lee Haney. I mention Cory because she was one tough cookie, too, and one day on her double split, she actually did 87 sets of legs!

At any rate while still in N.J., my gym owner had to buy special bars because I bent so many of them. Tom Platz was famous for 315 pounds for 50 reps. Well, I did 30 reps once with 495 pounds. I remember fantasizing that I was a Barbarian warrior and that if I could not finish my workout my family and I would be executed.

A guy named David Sinott was my training partner. Today he trains celebrities like Demi Moore. (Now you know who keeps that 40-year-old, Charlie’s Angel babe seducing 25 year olds.) I had one goal on leg day and that was to make David lose his stomach contents.

We started the workout with pre-exhaust, direct, thigh leg extensions. I warmed up my quads with 200 lbs. and continuously increased the weights until I got the stack of 350 lbs. with jacked-intensity drop sets, the last two sets.

I would do three drop sets (also called extended sets) and on the last drop set I would go beyond sanity into the world of negatives. When I got to the top of the extension I would hold the weight up and Dave would push on my shins to get the weight down. I would hold it as hard as I could and he would push with all his strength to the bottom. By the end of this, my legs were on fire and severely pumped (and so were his triceps).

Then I went to the 45-degree angle leg press. This was one of my favorites because I could really load on the weights. I did a light set of five, 45-lb. plates on each side for 15 reps. I moved along for sets of 15 reps. On the last set I had 15, 45-lb. plates on EACH side (lots of sets) and Dave was sitting on top of the machine (another 200 pounds). That was 30 x 45 lbs. plus 200 lbs., or 15 reps with 1750 lbs. counting the carriage. After the 15 reps, Dave got off, stripped two plates, and I did another 12 reps. He took two more plates off each time and I’d crank out 12 or more reps.

I couldn’t even count the sets. I actually popped blood vessels in my eyes. They were bright, rose red. Dave would try to follow with somewhat less intensity and he would die a dozen deaths and lose his potassium in the garbage can, but at least his blood pressure was not 300/110.

By this time I was solo. I went to Smith machine squats. With this exercise I moved my feet forward to give my quads even more play. Since I was plenty warm I started with three, 45-lb. plates on each side, 15 reps. I increased the weight 45 pounds on each side until I got to six plates each side for 15 reps.

My next exercise was the reverse Smith machine lunge supersetted with sissy squats. I did three sets of 15 reps on each exercise and I made it as high as two, 45-lb. plates on the lunges. I would hold a 45-lb. plate on my chest for the sissies. My eyes and thighs were even redder and my thighs were like Mount St, Helens, (not the big-breasted girl doing lap dances, but that Volcano in Washington State).

I took a breather for 10 minutes and drank a half gallon of water. I wore skimpy tight Hotskin shorts so I could see my thighs get huge, veiny and ripped to the femur. I was almost capillary comatose!

Now, Dave had regained some cell equilibrium and came back to join me for hamstring hell. I started with lying leg curls. We did five sets and on the last set I used the stack and did three drop sets. From there we did negatives. I would hold my legs straight out and Dave would pull my ankles downward while I tried to prevent him from doing it.

I was about done. At the end, I did stiff-leg deadlifts, super strict and slow four sets of 15 reps with 225 lbs. God that was it. I was totally cooked and felt my legs throbbing.

Those leg days bring back chills. Those leg workouts pushed me to be the second best male bodybuilder in the IFFB pro ranks at the time. I was Lee Haney’s training partner, but I never beat him. You can talk to anyone from those days. Relative to those before and his then contemporaries, Lee was the greatest who ever lived. Did I have Lee’s genetic size, bone structure and shape? No way, not even close. This guy was an athlete (and gentleman).

But I can say this and Lee would agree – no one, not anyone, ever out-trained me. No one had more gut-busting intensity than I did, especially on legs! I was, after all, the Dragonslayer (Jeff Everson named me that in 1987) and this is the kind of leg workout you must do! Now go get it on!
I felt sick reading this Hardcore

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2007, 02:20:05 AM »

You are correct ... that was the Quote.  :)

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:16 AM »
225 pounds at 10% is more realistic, measured properly,Truly the only way to get a spot on bodyfat test is a hydrstactic test immersing you in water not exactly sure how it works but when i was at university my friend underwent the test and he measured 5%When i was on everything and lifted heavy Casey Viator would have destroyed me, i remember Arthur Jones and im sure Casey was a student of his.

Yes, he was ... do you remember the " Colorado Experiment " ?

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2007, 02:31:22 AM »
Yes, he was ... do you remember the " Colorado Experiment " ?
I cry when i think how much improved Sergio Oliva could have become if he stayed with Arthur