Author Topic: BEST POSTWORKOUT CARB DRINK???  (Read 7489 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: BEST POSTWORKOUT CARB DRINK???
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »
Once again you are missing the point, broccolli and green beans are FIBEROUS CARBS. Meaning, they digest SLOW and doubt they replenish glycogen at all. Post workout carbs need to get to the muscle FAST, meaning higher glycemic. However, a product like Waxy Maize and/or Vitargo will replenish glycogen efficently without the bloat and gastric distess of maltodextrin and dextrose, which use to be the standard.

Food sources need to be easily digested, like rice cakes, white rice. All carbs are not equal!!! Fiberous carbs are great for caloric restriction (Dieting) but not for post workout.
one again, you are missing the point.

in my opinion...

i would agree that getting some fast acting proteins is important, but liquid carbs..eh, no. insulin is indeed a "storage" hormone, but you cannot speed the rate of protein synthesis by increasing insulin... the speed at which you can begin to repair muscles is dictated by your testosterone levels..a release of insulin dosnt increase testosterone levels, and thus doesnt increase the rate of protein synthesis..after your workout the majority of your blood is being pumped to the muscle that needs the protein most9the one you just worked out), and so any digested protein at that time will be shutttled to the cells that need it most without any insulin release... 

the only reason i would see the need for a fast acting carbohydrate is if you were taking cytomel or clenbuterol or something was wrong with you where your metabolism was such a rapid muscle eater that you had to constantly have a ton of calories present or else you would lose muscle. 

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
just out of curiousity how do you figure out how much protien your body can synthesize in one meal? 

40 g. of Red Meat will digest differently than 40 g. of protein powder or Egg whites. The more complex the protein source, harder it will be to digest. Protein powders are also "pre-digested" so they break down a bit easier. Not sure if there is a way to know how much one synthesizes per meal.

Point is, make sure you take in 1g. per pound of bodyweight in various protein sources a day. Take a good multi-vit and maybe some digestive enzymes if you have issues breaking down protein. Meaning, if you are filling your house full of gas, something is fermenting you your gut!  :o

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »
one again, you are missing the point.

the only reason i would see the need for a fast acting carbohydrate is if you were taking cytomel or clenbuterol or something was wrong with you where your metabolism was such a rapid muscle eater that you had to constantly have a ton of calories present or else you would lose muscle. 

You have absolutely no IDEA what you are talking about! How old are you, 18? I have been bodybuilding your whole life. I never claim to know everything but know quite a bit kid so why do you insist on trying to claim things that are not true?? Just stop, you are making youself look like an idiot!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
40 g. of Red Meat will digest differently than 40 g. of protein powder or Egg whites. The more complex the protein source, harder it will be to digest. Protein powders are also "pre-digested" so they break down a bit easier. Not sure if there is a way to know how much one synthesizes per meal.

i would add to this that the limit on how much protein the body can utilize at any given time is also dependant upon how much protein you have eaten leading up the that meal, and how hard you have been working in the gym lately(amount of broken down muscle tissue in the body).   proteins are stored in a pool of amino acids in the blood stream, and every time you eat some protein you send some into free circulation, and some to replenish the pool of amino acids. just like carbs, its when you storage area(pool of amino acids/muscle glycogen) is full, and when your level of free floating nutrients(carbs and amino's in the blood stream) is at a sufficient amount to provide your body with what it neds at that moment...that is when excess nutrients will be stored as fat.      so if you have a huge need for protein in your blood stream(a whole lot of broken down muscle tissue on mulitple muscle groups), then you will be able t utilize a larger amount of protein at one time....AND, if you havent got a full pool of amino acids, then whatever is missing from your pool of amino acids will get filled in with the protein you eat...

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »

Point is, make sure you take in 1g. per pound of bodyweight in various protein sources a day. Take a good multi-vit and maybe some digestive enzymes if you have issues breaking down protein. Meaning, if you are filling your house full of gas, something is fermenting you your gut!  :o

right i already understood about easier digestable sources then others and i get just about my body wieght in protien with a pretty good mix on it...my multi is solid and am about to start slammin back a pw shake of waxy maize rihgt before the whey/casein shake...see how that goes...thanks for the response though

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 04:19:17 PM »
right i already understood about easier digestable sources then others and i get just about my body wieght in protien with a pretty good mix on it...my multi is solid and am about to start slammin back a pw shake of waxy maize rihgt before the whey/casein shake...see how that goes...thanks for the response though

Sorry if that was not what you were looking for but was just trying to illustrate that I am not sure we can measure how much protein we actually synthesize per meal. I could be totally wrong and there might be a test of some kind, but have not heard of one yet. If we knew, would make our lives easier so we would know exactly how much to eat!

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 04:24:59 PM »
Sorry if that was not what you were looking for but was just trying to illustrate that I am not sure we can measure how much protein we actually synthesize per meal. I could be totally wrong and there might be a test of some kind, but have not heard of one yet. If we knew, would make our lives easier so we would know exactly how much to eat!

hey b i wasnt being sarcastic, thanksfor the response.  see im all about helping people if there was something i knew and you asked about it i wouldnt be dick and bag you for not knowing (like alot here) i would show where or how to get the info or tell you...its all good...hoping this waxy maize thing is going to be beneficial in some way...

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »
hey b i wasnt being sarcastic, thanksfor the response.  see im all about helping people if there was something i knew and you asked about it i wouldnt be dick and bag you for not knowing (like alot here) i would show where or how to get the info or tell you...its all good...hoping this waxy maize thing is going to be beneficial in some way...

You will love it and I dont see any reason not to mix your protein in with it, then eat a whole meal about 1 hr or so later.

I know you were not being sarcastic, I just wanted to help as well but if you find out anything about the synthesizing, let us know! Good luck man..

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
thanks bro, ill keep my eyes peeled about the synthesizing..

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »
hey busy this is about the closest thing i have found so far on the whole protien thing...

heres the link http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/61 

but heres the one section for what we were talking about...

You can digest only a certain amount of protein per meal.Somewhere along the way, the idea that a body can handle no more than 30 g of protein per sitting wedged its way into nutrition circles. That’s an old wives’ tale. Do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger grew on 30 g of protein every three hours, the equivalent of eating only four or five ounces of chicken at each meal? Think again. Protein digestibility and the amount your body can handle per meal is tied to how much you weigh and how hard you train. The more you weigh, the more you need; the harder you train, the more you need. In turn, the more you need, the more you’ll be able to digest, absorb and assimilate. A 200-pound male will, in general, need more protein than a 160-pounder and should be able to digest more per meal. Digestibility is also linked to the amount of protein you consume on a regular basis. The more protein you eat regularly, the better your body becomes at digesting large protein meals.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 04:08:22 PM »
hey busy this is about the closest thing i have found so far on the whole protien thing...

heres the link http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/61 

but heres the one section for what we were talking about...

You can digest only a certain amount of protein per meal.Somewhere along the way, the idea that a body can handle no more than 30 g of protein per sitting wedged its way into nutrition circles. That’s an old wives’ tale. Do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger grew on 30 g of protein every three hours, the equivalent of eating only four or five ounces of chicken at each meal? Think again. Protein digestibility and the amount your body can handle per meal is tied to how much you weigh and how hard you train. The more you weigh, the more you need; the harder you train, the more you need. In turn, the more you need, the more you’ll be able to digest, absorb and assimilate. A 200-pound male will, in general, need more protein than a 160-pounder and should be able to digest more per meal. Digestibility is also linked to the amount of protein you consume on a regular basis. The more protein you eat regularly, the better your body becomes at digesting large protein meals.

Thanks man, that was the point I was trying to illustrate but obviously, they explained better than I. Guess that is why I don't write for Flex, huh?? ;D

I was trying to point out, that even if we eat 40g. of chicken, how do we know how much of that will be synthesized into new tissue? Meaning, if you are not digesting it efficiently, then you are not up-taking as much of the protein as you thought. That is when we get gas or an upset stomach, because not all the protein was digested, sitting in your intestinal tract. That really has nothing to do with how big you are but how well your gut health is. Which is why I am trying to learn more about gut health....

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »
right im with you on that....i dont what to tell ya bro but i can say one thing...the only time i get bad gas is after my pw shake followed by my pw meal then about 2-3 hours after meal comes my before bed shake...that might have something to do with the protein i am taking as someone has suggested that i should be taking an isolate as my pw shake...i am waiting for my new protien to get here and we will see...its just more expensive so i am going to make it last...you know what im saying?

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 05:52:32 PM »
You might be slightly allergic to lactose which is why they suggested an isolate. Plus you are switching to Waxy Maize as your post workout carb, right? Sometime the old Maltodextrin and Dextrose carbs made me gassy.

What I do is put in a shaker Whey Isolate (40 g.) and Waxy Maize (60 g.) and keep in the locker. After my workout, go to the fountain and fill er up. Drink it before I even get to the front door. Then I eat about an hour later.

Good luck bro, in my 18 years of this, I found I am always tweaking and adjusting my supps and diet. After all these years of eating all this fucking food, my intestines must be a wreck. Which is an old guy like me is doing more enzymes, probiotics and greens.  :D

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »
hey b just out of curiousity what do you think about mixing a 20 gram shake of casien with 20 gram whey and the waxy, to much?  i have been taking the mix of whey and casien together and what do you think?

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 07:49:47 AM »
hey b just out of curiousity what do you think about mixing a 20 gram shake of casien with 20 gram whey and the waxy, to much?  i have been taking the mix of whey and casien together and what do you think?

You know there is mixed thoughts on that but I say it is a great combo. As long as the casien does not fill you up for a long period of time, I see no problem with the mix. Some are favoring casien post workout but I still stick with all whey. Only because I want to eat an hour after my post workout shake and casien sometimes fills me up. I dont see 20 g. being too filling though. I do think you need to drink it all together rather than seperate like you said in another post. Take them to the gym with you in one shaker. Shit, I am out of fruity flavored whey so I am mixing chocolate with fruit punch waxy! Just want the results and dont care about taste...but it is interesting  ;)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
You know there is mixed thoughts on that but I say it is a great combo. As long as the casien does not fill you up for a long period of time, I see no problem with the mix. Some are favoring casien post workout but I still stick with all whey. Only because I want to eat an hour after my post workout shake and casien sometimes fills me up. I dont see 20 g. being too filling though. I do think you need to drink it all together rather than seperate like you said in another post. Take them to the gym with you in one shaker. Shit, I am out of fruity flavored whey so I am mixing chocolate with fruit punch waxy! Just want the results and dont care about taste...but it is interesting  ;)

yea thats good stuff b i have read alot of mixed reviews on the whole casien  thing...i think im goin to stick with it at least for now...and as far as putting them all together im going to give that a go also...im waiting on the whey isolate and the waxy to get here it takes a little longer then usual cause im stationed overseas....but thankfully i ordered un flavored waxy so we will see....but good luck with your interesting flavor combo...you never know you might discover the best mix ever....but probably not with that combo..haha ;)

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
yea thats good stuff b i have read alot of mixed reviews on the whole casien  thing...i think im goin to stick with it at least for now...and as far as putting them all together im going to give that a go also...im waiting on the whey isolate and the waxy to get here it takes a little longer then usual cause im stationed overseas....but thankfully i ordered un flavored waxy so we will see....but good luck with your interesting flavor combo...you never know you might discover the best mix ever....but probably not with that combo..haha ;)

Overseas!! Not Iraq, right?? Regardless, all the respect in the world for you guys bro!!! Stay safe and stay strong so you can kick some terroist ass!

As for the combo, well, no supplement company has taken me up on my grape Glutamine, choc whey and fruit punch waxy maize combo yet, not sure why?? ;)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »
nah not iraq, not right now, im in the united kingdon countin the days till i come back to the states....but thanks for the support and as far as the flavor mix sounds like a party for your taste pallet going on in that shake...good luck bro..

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »
i used that stuff for a little while, good stuff, Welch's grape juice with some creatine is great too.

exactly what i've used for years.   welchs/creatine

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »
what kind of creatine are you using?  and are you taking any type of other carbs or just grape juice...?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 07:46:46 AM »
what kind of creatine are you using?  and are you taking any type of other carbs or just grape juice...?

i mix creadrive (gnc) with about 12 oz of grape juice and 2 scoops whey for post workout....i don't buy into the bs about different creatines being better.

been taking creatine since it first came (Champion Nutrition..one of the first brands) out and never really gone off....no problems.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »
since youve been taking it for a while do you ever re-load it so to speak...ive read that if you have the same amount of creatine consumption day to day it starts to lose its benefits.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
no i don't.  i have come off for a few weeks every so often, but this is rare.  When i do, i don't reload...it's pointless

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »
im not saying either way, number one ive only tried one creatine product once and havent since but i have read that after while it loses its effects...

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2007, 11:28:45 AM »
Cup of Gatorade, 2 scoops of Dymaize Whey Protein and scoop of Iforce I Power......

Use to use Nutrex Vitargo but got a little costly!