Author Topic: High "squat" versus Squat - the difference in weight lifted: An example  (Read 3938 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Interesting to see Ruggiera lift this weekend, squatting 722 lbs in a legit fed (USPF), and it was questionable on depth.

And Ruggiera squats 1000+ lbs in High Squat feds.

Ruggiera 722 in a legit fed:

Ruggiera 1014 in a high squat circus fed:
As empty as paradise

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: High "squat" versus Squat - the difference in weight lifted: An example
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
What a difference.... :-\
HAHA, RON.....

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »
Nothing on Kaz.

Ban all suits make it raw.

Make them use a proper narrower stance to just under parrelle.

Modern powerlifting is a joke.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:32 AM »
Not a joke at all.......nothing funny about ruining a good sport and making it into a mockery of itself!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 01:52:38 PM »
that squat was decent, not rock bottom but at least parallel.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
the 1015 looked good. my only complaint would be that your complaining about it.

lift, have fun, enjoy life. foot "racing", bike "racing", car "racing", plane "racing". It's still racing. same goes for powerlifting, 100% raw, raw, single ply, double ply, unlimited ply, briefs, no briefs, legless briefs, 2.0 wraps, 2.5 wraps, 3.0-3.5 wraps. pick what you like and go play, or just leave it alone.
sept 10th APF

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »
I agree with Nash on this one.  Hedge, your nonstop bitching got old a long, long time ago.  Compete in the federation with the rules that suit you.  Don't bitch about the other ones unless you are competing in them.  There is nothing keeping you from competing in a different one if you don't like the way things are going in the one you are in, and personally, until you are suiting up against the guys in a given federation you don't have too much ground to stand on with your bitching. 

The important thing is the lifters are following the rules of the federation they are currently lifting in. 

The other thing to consider is the number of years between those two lifts.   Ruggiera has had his share of injuries and set backs the last few years, including the ongoing problems with the hernia.  I dont' think you can say that he was at "peak" shape for the last contest. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 03:47:52 AM »
I agree with Nash on this one.  Hedge, your nonstop bitching got old a long, long time ago.  Compete in the federation with the rules that suit you.  Don't bitch about the other ones unless you are competing in them.  There is nothing keeping you from competing in a different one if you don't like the way things are going in the one you are in, and personally, until you are suiting up against the guys in a given federation you don't have too much ground to stand on with your bitching. 

The important thing is the lifters are following the rules of the federation they are currently lifting in. 

The other thing to consider is the number of years between those two lifts.   Ruggiera has had his share of injuries and set backs the last few years, including the ongoing problems with the hernia.  I dont' think you can say that he was at "peak" shape for the last contest. 

You're absolutely right.

I apologize, big mistake to make the first post so antagonistic.

And y'all got good points.

My point was simply that it was interesting to see the difference that the change of federation made, almost 300 lbs.

Guys like Kutcher and Coan, going the other direction, isn't quite the same.
As empty as paradise

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »
To each his own..we all like to see some crazy shit put up just like the bodybuilding group loves to see the freak shows. I am all about the raw lifting. I think it's a "truer" test of strength than lifting geared. I was WAY impressed with a 722lb squat than the 1klber... I have a friend that just benched 705 at a meet in a shirt but can barely get 6 reps with 405 raw. I was shocked! Apparenlty there's alot involved in getting the numbers with the gear too but DAMN!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
you really went out of your way to pick bad examples. what about donnie thompson hitting 875 RAW at NERB? if your correlation was accurate and a 722 single-ply squatter can hit 1014 multi-ply, then donnie should be hitting 1500 in the WPO.

what about nick winters who can touch and go raw bench 655, but barely gets 50 pounds out of even a denim shirt?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 12:44:03 AM »
it's not so much the depth calling of the fed's that is the difference in how much is squatted, it is the gear. some single ply shirts are just as good in carryover as a double ply shirt (on a trained person). single ply squat suits vs double ply squat suits is another story - add in the briefs with legs and add another 50-150lbs to that squat.

I love gear, I use gear.
sept 10th APF

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:24:58 PM »
I love gear, I use gear.

Care to post your cycle? ;)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 12:09:12 PM »
HRT ::)
sept 10th APF

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »

You're absolutely right.

I apologize, big mistake to make the first post so antagonistic.

And y'all got good points.

My point was simply that it was interesting to see the difference that the change of federation made, almost 300 lbs.

Guys like Kutcher and Coan, going the other direction, isn't quite the same.

Hedge,
I agree with you on some points, only an idiot thinks single ply with a walkout wont decrease your squat.  That being said, I think Ruggeria isnt the best exammple.  When he was APF/IPA, he was at Westside with Louie in the best PL environment in the world.  The 722 was after a long layoff, and training in a fern gym.  IIRC, his bodyweight was about 60lbs less when he did the USPF meet too.  Same goes for Kutcher.  He was coming off a BAD back injury and was drug free.

Jason

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »
Man I wish I trained at a gym that had one of those Mono lifts.  Seems it would be safer.  Just one gym I trained at, while traveling a place in Lacrosse Wisc had em, they had 2.  Cool place a big time PL gym they had all the pl toys from what I could tell.  Must be hard to learn to not squat in front of a mirror too.  I have done it a few times and it threw me off.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »
Man I wish I trained at a gym that had one of those Mono lifts.  Seems it would be safer.  Just one gym I trained at, while traveling a place in Lacrosse Wisc had em, they had 2.  Cool place a big time PL gym they had all the pl toys from what I could tell.  Must be hard to learn to not squat in front of a mirror too.  I have done it a few times and it threw me off.

Monolifts are awesome!  Also, if it makes you feel better, squatting in front of a mirror fucks me up.

Jason

Ruggiera

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »
A friend of mine brought this post to my attention and I feel the need to reply...

Hedgehog,

First, how can you tell how my depth was in the vid of me squatting 1015? There are so many people around the monolift and the angle of the vid is shitty... hell, I can't tell. What I can tell you is that the lift was passed, and myself, being anal when it comes to my depth was reassured by many who were there that the lift was good.

Not everyone who competes in "high squat feds" looks to cut their depth. Many of us take pride in our lifts and do not want gifts. If you're looking to blame someone for high lifts being passed, blame the judges and meet promoters. I have seen and been beaten by lifters whose squats were not even close to being parallel but because they were the friend of the promoter, their third attempts were passed.

Now, I know all about the equipment argument and how extreme it has become. I got caught up in it as well and have been turned off by it. That is why I wanted to go back to the USPF when the desire to compete again hit me. Besides, I think equipment hampered my squat more than it helped. I think it was the reason why I bombed out of a half a dozen meets. I just couldn't get used to it.

The 300lb difference in my lifts you brought up was do to several factors. Walking the weight out was one. Using a monolift makes a world of difference. You would not see the numbers you see today if it weren't for it and the stance it allows you to get into to squat. Second, the 722 was a joke, as was the 804 I hit that day(was red lighted though, the vid of that is on youtube). These were by far submaximal lifts for me. Shit, I just wanted to get a meet under my belt because I haven't competed in about 2.5 years and was nervous as hell. I also believe deciding to do this meet 7 or 8 weeks out was not enough time to train for it. Not to mention, I'm not nearly as strong as I was back in back in 2003 when I squatted the 1015 or 2004 when I squatted 1050. So, you might want to take these reasons into consideration before you go bashing someone and their lifts. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
A friend of mine brought this post to my attention and I feel the need to reply...

Hedgehog,

First, how can you tell how my depth was in the vid of me squatting 1015? There are so many people around the monolift and the angle of the vid is shitty... hell, I can't tell. What I can tell you is that the lift was passed, and myself, being anal when it comes to my depth was reassured by many who were there that the lift was good.

Not everyone in who competes in "high squat feds" looks to cut their depth. Many of us take pride in our lifts and do not want gifts. If you're looking to blame someone for high lifts being passed, blame the judges and meet promoters. I have seen and been beaten by lifters whose squats were not even close to being parallel but because they were the friend of the promoter, their third attempts were passed.

Now, I know all about the equipment arguement and how extreme it has become. I got caught up in it as well and have been turned off by it. That is why I wanted to go back to the USPF when the desire to compete again hit me. Besides, I think equipment hampered my squat more than it helped. I think it was the reason why I bombed out of a half a dozen meets. I just couldn't get used to it.

The 300lb difference in my lifts you brought up was do to several factors. Walking the weight out was one. Using a monolift makes a world of difference. You would not see the numbers you see today if it weren't for it and the stance it allows you to get into to squat. Second, the 722 was a joke, as was the 804 I hit that day(was red lighted though, the vid of that is on youtube). These were by far submaximal lifts for me. Shit, I just wanted to get a meet under my belt because I haven't competed in about 2.5 years and was nervous as hell. I also believe deciding to do this meet 7 or 8 weeks out was enough time to train for it. Not to mention, I'm not nearly as strong as I was back in back in 2003 when I squatted the 1015 or 2004 when I squatted 1050. So, you might want to take these reasons into consideration before you go bashing someone and their lifts. 

Nice post.

Again, the first post got too antagonistic.

The big flaw in my reasoning: You obviously, as you pointed out, were at different levels of strengths.

Good to see that you've decided on USPF.

Hope to see many more follow your example.

Best of luck.
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:19 PM »

Hedgehog,

Not everyone who competes in "high squat feds" looks to cut their depth. Many of us take pride in our lifts and do not want gifts. If you're looking to blame someone for high lifts being passed, blame the judges and meet promoters. I have seen and been beaten by lifters whose squats were not even close to being parallel but because they were the friend of the promoter, their third attempts were passed.

Now, I know all about the equipment argument and how extreme it has become. I got caught up in it as well and have been turned off by it. That is why I wanted to go back to the USPF when the desire to compete again hit me. Besides, I think equipment hampered my squat more than it helped. I think it was the reason why I bombed out of a half a dozen meets. I just couldn't get used to it.

The 300lb difference in my lifts you brought up was do to several factors. Walking the weight out was one. Using a monolift makes a world of difference. You would not see the numbers you see today if it weren't for it and the stance it allows you to get into to squat. Second, the 722 was a joke, as was the 804 I hit that day(was red lighted though, the vid of that is on youtube). These were by far submaximal lifts for me. Shit, I just wanted to get a meet under my belt because I haven't competed in about 2.5 years and was nervous as hell. I also believe deciding to do this meet 7 or 8 weeks out was enough time to train for it. Not to mention, I'm not nearly as strong as I was back in back in 2003 when I squatted the 1015 or 2004 when I squatted 1050. So, you might want to take these reasons into consideration before you go bashing someone and their lifts. 

props on your lifts man, you're a bull.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
What a difference.... :-\

call me blind, but the ROM looks exactly the same in both lifts