Author Topic: What's more prestigious: "Mr. USA" or "National Champion"?  (Read 1657 times)

Riddick

• Getbig II
  • There's no guarantee that you'll see the next day!
What's more prestigious: "Mr. USA" or "National Champion"?
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »
Seems like the USA is a harder show being that only 2 pro cards are given and easily identified with the fans.

discuss

the Pure Majestic

• Getbig III
Re: What's more prestigious: "Mr. USA" or "National Champion"?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
Both of them give you the opportunity for a photo shoot with Flex or MD where you stand to make upwards of $50 if you wear MaxMuscle (Flex) or GASP (MD) clothing in the shoot. 

So, they're probably even.

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:01:40 PM »
The latter.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
Mr. USA. The ones who win have the better physiques. The only real good bbers to come out of the Nats are I believe Kevin Levrone, Dex, Vic Martinez, and Dillett.

Alex A

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Alex Azarian
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »
This is my opinion, The USA Title has more prestige than nationals here on the West coast and the name to me sounds better.

Being a class winner at the USA,  of course I'm going to go for the USA over nationals. Such as those pros who turned pro by winning at the USA vs Nationals.

Also, the USA is held in Vegas each year at the end of July, such an awesome place for such a killer show!
www.prepbyalex.com
national contender

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
why does no one talk about the Mr. Universe anymore

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:27:04 PM »
Nationals hands down

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »
Mr. USA. The ones who win have the better physiques. The only real good bbers to come out of the Nats are I believe Kevin Levrone, Dex, Vic Martinez, and Dillett.
Bro, Dex and Dillet got pro cards from the North Americas. The Nationals is harder for the overall title, but it would be easier for the light-heavy to get a pro card.

hope this helps

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
National Champion is more prestigious because the Nationals is more competitive, especially in the lighter weight categories. With Pro Cards available in every division, every BB and their grandmother comes East looking to cash in on that elusive Pro Card.

That doesn't always mean the winners are better than the USA winners, but the competition is heavier and therefore, the title carries more prestige. None of which makes a hill of beans difference to anyone outside of the 0.0001% of the population that follows bodybuilding.

The man on the street thinks MR. USA sounds better than MR. OLYMPIA.
BigNationRadio.com

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
USA....of course!!

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »
This is my opinion, The USA Title has more prestige than nationals.

I was a class winner at the 06 USA but no pro card.

Thats totally fine with me. After the show, I was very satisfied knowing i won my class at the USA.

I think the title is awesome.  The USA is held in Vegas each year at the end of July, such an awesome place for such a killer show!

Hmmmmm.  You think the USA is prestigious?  Wait till you win the Nationals. :)

Carlo

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
I dont live in the States but I would say Mr USA would be the harder one to win.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
Robert Piotrowicz , current IFBB world overall men's champion and now IFBB Pro 

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaYZXtPQ20

Alex A

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Alex Azarian
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »
If I could win the overall at either of the two shows, which I couldn't, I would rather have the USA title for the simple fact that the name to me sounds better. 

Mr. USA vs Nationals overall champion, just my opinion though.

And Carlo, I hope to follow in your footsteps my friend. Great job! you know I think you kicked ass and deserve every bit of it.

Oh i see Carlo, you have faith in my brother you said "wait till you win the nationals"  I appreciate that. Peace guys! alex a
www.prepbyalex.com
national contender

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »
Alex you will be a pro ....you have a awesome physique

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 03:37:16 PM »
Bro, Dex and Dillet got pro cards from the North Americas. The Nationals is harder for the overall title, but it would be easier for the light-heavy to get a pro card.

hope this helps

Thanx, I figured that after i wrote it. But for the USA's there are only 2 cards giving out. Correct? Whereas the the class winners at the Nats get their cards. Which means, even the bantamweights get a card...what are they gonna do with it? And lets us remember the most polished USA winner of all time Flex Wheeler, who was pushed by a polished John Sherman. Nobody at the Nats has ever been that good.

It seems like the phenoms come out of the USA's: Flex and Phil Heath.

Alex A

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Alex Azarian
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
Alex you will be a pro ....you have a awesome physique

Holy shit! thanks, That was cool.

Makes me want to train harder.  I appreciate that!  I would love to win my class at nationals. I would then, more likely not compete anymore since it would be useless.

Competing against the beasts that are out there in the pro ranks  would not be something I could diet and train for. 

Even though my goal is to put on a few pounds, i could never have the size necessary to compete as a pro. I love competing to win, yes, but seeing myself getting shredded as I diet is awesome for me. And being shredded is not enough to win as a pro. Maybe some day things will change.   
www.prepbyalex.com
national contender

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »
If I could win the overall at either of the two shows, which I couldn't, I would rather have the USA title for the simple fact that the name to me sounds better. 

Mr. USA vs Nationals overall champion, just my opinion though.

And Carlo, I hope to follow in your footsteps my friend. Great job! you know I think you kicked ass and deserve every bit of it.

Oh i see Carlo, you have faith in my brother you said "wait till you win the nationals"  I appreciate that. Peace guys! alex a

Yep Alex, I believe you will do it.  Remember something though, I never ever imagined when I began this quest that i'd turn pro...  That being said, now that I am, they (the IFBB) just happened to instill an under 202lbs. class.  Hmm.  Most of us in the lighter classes keep our weight down in order to make a certain class, right Alex?  If we let ourselves grow, we could easily compete in the 180's or so even the 190's..In due time of course.   I believe this class is going to help the sport.  I can foresee an increased fan base as the lighter competitors albeit not as freaky as the larger have an opportunity to compete.

Btw, Yes the Mr. USA sounds much better than a national championship, but there is no pro card, therefore, I'll take the nats.

Some great past national champions who've become great pros include Lee Haney, Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone, Porter Cottrell,
not a bad bunch....

Carlo

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »

dillet was from canada  and believe dex won the north america

the north america should be the most prestigious   but it isn;t  it IS the hardest to take first