Author Topic: How much weight do you have to take off when you go ass to the grass and what do  (Read 2591 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
you consider ass to the grass squats?

I go down to heel height and for that I have to drop massive poundage; wondering if it is really worth it?!
I hate the State.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
I'm too chicken to go ass to grass, it hurts my knees, and I don't need an injury.  I go parallel or a little below, but nothing crazy.  I don't see the need to go ass to grass.

Sometimes if I do front squats, I can go much lower, but I have to reduce the weight by about 50%. 
:)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
I'm too chicken to go ass to grass, it hurts my knees, and I don't need an injury.  I go parallel or a little below, but nothing crazy.  I don't see the need to go ass to grass. 

Sometimes if I do front squats, I can go much lower, but I have to reduce the weight by about 50%. 

I've actually heard that parallel squats have more shearing forces on the knee than ATG.  Do you find any discomfort with your present form?

Trap: I go ATG on front squats and while I use less weight now than regular squats with a 5x5 routine, good core work/strong core, and the mind set to go that low and know you can come out you will do it and bring the weights back up.  I literally sit down on my heels with front squats and Olympic power cleans and my legs look better, I am stronger and weights are going up steadily.  Drop the weight, go ATG if you can without injury/pain and see what comes of it.  You can always stop and go back to parallel squats. 
Squishy face retard

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
I've actually heard that parallel squats have more shearing forces on the knee than ATG.  Do you find any discomfort with your present form?

Trap: I go ATG on front squats and while I use less weight now than regular squats with a 5x5 routine, good core work/strong core, and the mind set to go that low and know you can come out you will do it and bring the weights back up.  I literally sit down on my heels with front squats and Olympic power cleans and my legs look better, I am stronger and weights are going up steadily.  Drop the weight, go ATG if you can without injury/pain and see what comes of it.  You can always stop and go back to parallel squats. 

I haven't really noticed any discomfort with my present form.  I can go ATG with the front squats, sit down on my heels like you said...and I actually like it, but I like to go heavy with the regular squats to get the most out of them, and I am just too scared to go that low.  I am also usually crippled from soreness after doing squats, so they seem to be effective lol. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
you consider ass to the grass squats?

I go down to heel height and for that I have to drop massive poundage; wondering if it is really worth it?!

I go well below parallel but I'm not about to hang my lower back out to dry with anything heavier than 315 going this low pyramiding up (warming up)

I do bottom out with heavy reps on the hack sled though......

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
I go well below parallel but I'm not about to hang my lower back out to dry with anything heavier than 315 going this low pyramiding up (warming up)

I do bottom out with heavy reps on the hack sled though......

Geo, my dear old friend...............315 would crush you.

I always find that stopping at or just below parallel hurts my knees, ATG feels better on my knees. Plus it doesn't feel the same in the muscle if I stop at parallel.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
It's interesting that people are saying it hurts less to go ATG.  I'll have to see if I agree next time I do squats.  I bet I'll have to take a bunch of weight off.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Yeah, I'm going to stick with ass to grass for a while even though I have to drop massive weight; I feel the burn more and and more sore the next day. Hopefully the atg technique will balance out the massive poundage I have to drop. In any event I am not too worried, my quads are my 2nd best body part and I am dieting, which is actually the reason I started doing ass to grass; I thought they would be give me a greater metabolic boost.
I hate the State.

JasonH

• Getbig V
My squat workouts consist of doing three sets of 10-12 with the heaviest weight I can handle going down to parallel and then for the fourth set I put 135 on the bar and squat down ass to grass and only come up two thirds of the way keeping continuous tension on the quads - it totally fries them - I thoroughly recommend it!

biceps

• Getbig III
Yeah, I'm going to stick with ass to grass for a while even though I have to drop massive weight; I feel the burn more and and more sore the next day. Hopefully the atg technique will balance out the massive poundage I have to drop. In any event I am not too worried, my quads are my 2nd best body part and I am dieting, which is actually the reason I started doing ass to grass; I thought they would be give me a greater metabolic boost.

In the beginning you will drop the weight but after 3 to 4 week you strength will go up dramatically, and you will never quit the ass to grass system. When you almost at the bottom of the squatting slowed down and you knee will never hurt, don't try to bounce at the bottom.
I learned this when I was doing Olympic weight lifting in the 60`s and 70`s. Yes you will have a grater metabolic boost.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I go well below parallel but I'm not about to hang my lower back out to dry with anything heavier than 315

I'm not calling you a liar, but...

I'll call bullshit

:

Geo

• Getbig IV

I'm not calling you a liar, but...

but what ?

John O

• Getbig III
As a powerlifter I go just below parallel all the time and no lower. So it became second nature at a meet.  At a meet I don't want to go any lower then I have to LOL.
Masters- 50-54
148#

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
As a powerlifter I go just below parallel all the time and no lower. So it became second nature at a meet.  At a meet I don't want to go any lower then I have to LOL.

What are your best comp lifts?

John O

• Getbig III
Squat - 315  Bench - 225  Deadlift - 440 @ 132

I can't bench for S***  LOL
Masters- 50-54
148#

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

132?!?!?! How tall? Age?

Damn dude, no offense but I think one of my legs weighs 132. :-[
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

John O

• Getbig III
 ;D ;D ;D

I'm 5'6 and 49 y/o.
I didn't start lifting till in my 30's
Masters- 50-54
148#

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
About 5% lower in my experience.
follow the arrows

Geo

• Getbig IV

that's a pretty damned respectable deadlift for wieghing 132.......

where do ya buy your cloths ?...........toy'sRus ?

;D

John O

• Getbig III
LOL!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I was always built nice for deadlifting short torso, long arms. Kill's the bench though LOL .
But I should add that my next meet when ever that is will most likely be in the 148 class. I doubt I can get back to 132.
Masters- 50-54
148#