Author Topic: ANOTHER DEADLIFT REPITITION QUESTION AND POLL!!!!!!!  (Read 5024 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: ANOTHER DEADLIFT REPITITION QUESTION AND POLL!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »
exactly, i remember a few years ago they hadan actual barbell deadlift for a max single event at World's Strongest Man, it may have been 2002 or 2003 and the max that guys were pulling was 700-750 for very hard singles, i remember that freak Andy "stumpy" Raines from Engalnd did well in it, he was the 5'2" 270 pounder.

Yep, I know exactly what  you're talkin about....that proves it right there.   And that dude Stumpy was a thick little bastard....a deadlift machine that pulled huge numbers, but for 15 reps.....not happenin.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 10:16:51 AM »
why would you assume to take a couple hundred pounds off? Just because you can't do it there is no need to  minimize their accomplishments. Their the best in the world at what they do, just live with it and enjoy watching

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
last night they had the 2006 WSM on ESPN and one of the events was the deadlift for reps event where they had two small cars on platforms and a bar connecting them and they said the weight in the hands was 728 and quite a few guys got 15 plus reps and this wasn't a partial, that bar started at a conventional deadlift bar height, what do you think? my opinion is that the weight was more like 550-575 still a shitload of weight for that rep range.

The load is correct, but what you are pulling is considerably less due to the leverage arm.  I would guess the weight is 500 lbs or less at the bar.
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »
why would you assume to take a couple hundred pounds off? Just because you can't do it there is no need to  minimize their accomplishments. Their the best in the world at what they do, just live with it and enjoy watching

It is called physics.  The load is behind them and transferred through a rather long lever arm.
w

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 12:15:20 PM »
all i can say is that if you believe those guys were pulling 728 pounds for 16-17 reps on a full range deadlift you've obviously never been in a gym.