Author Topic: Ten Indications you are a Christian, Fundy Nutcase!  (Read 9052 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Ten Indications you are a Christian, Fundy Nutcase!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
Depression isn't normal.  It's a disorder. 

I'm not really making an argument. 

depression, anxiety, anger are all normal emotions, such that everyone has them. they are at one end of the spectrum and joy for example is at the other. every emotion if too much is a pathology, for example to much joy is mania, perhaps worse then major depression. they are just negative emotions no one likes to experience. anger is a negative emotion, evil, hate are also negative. ALL-LOVING and perfect would lead me to suspect he has no flaws, hence no down days, no anger nothing that us humans suffer from.

depression is certainly normal, everyone feels depressed from time to time about stuff, doesnt make it a pathology.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
what i love is how christians claim god lives in eternity, but created the heavens and earth or a temporal existence. funny how the thought of action  and eternity contradict themselves, while they talk about it as if they have intimate knowledge of the unknowable.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »
depression, anxiety, anger are all normal emotions, such that everyone has them. they are at one end of the spectrum and joy for example is at the other. every emotion if too much is a pathology, for example to much joy is mania, perhaps worse then major depression. they are just negative emotions no one likes to experience. anger is a negative emotion, evil, hate are also negative. ALL-LOVING and perfect would lead me to suspect he has no flaws, hence no down days, no anger nothing that us humans suffer from.

depression is certainly normal, everyone feels depressed from time to time about stuff, doesnt make it a pathology.

"Depression is not something you can just 'snap out of.'  It's caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated."  http://www.depression.com/

You disagree with this?  It isn't an "imbalance of brain chemicals"? 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »
Ummm, NO!!! There's no denial that they exist. It's just that they don't quite stack up to our God. I give you Dagon, Baal, Asheroth, Meradoch, just to name a few. They are gone (or at least, on a long hiatus). God, however, is alive and well. In fact, the first commandment stated that Israel was to have no other gods before Him.

Interesting claim. :)

What makes you think so?
As empty as paradise

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
"Depression is not something you can just 'snap out of.'  It's caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated."  http://www.depression.com/

You disagree with this?  It isn't an "imbalance of brain chemicals"? 

not really, tell me how do they know there is a balance of brain chemicals. the know via reverse engineering that is giving drugs and determining the reactions the drugs have. there are ssri, maois, tricyclics etc and many neurotransmitters like serotonin, noepinephrine, dopamine which all play a role. your talking about major depression, everyone gets depressed from time to time. thats why there is an arbitrary illness period if you want of 2 weeks of feeling sad before the depression diagnosis is made, mainly because people feel depressed from time to time, when its winter, during rainy days etc.. depression is normal, major depression is not. anxiety is normal, generalized anxiety disorder is not.

i would also like to bring to light the fact that drugs like tianeptine a serotonin UPTAKE agonist decrease depression like serotonin REUPTAKE INHIBITORS but they dont know why. that is, the drugs have opposite pharmacokinetics but similar effect. thus one increases synaptic concentrations of serotonin and some decrease. also stims like adderall are used for refractory depression as well as amphetamines.

so i somewhat agree with the statement but there are many prominent researchers who disagree, namely many psychotherapists, cbt, dialectic etc.. who feel faulty thinking patterns, lead to feelings not the other way around. and if you read the literature you will see that CBT is = or superior to psychopharmacological intervention

so i dont disagree i just dont think its clear cut and anyone who takes a real rigid stance like that are kidding themselves imo. i think its an interplay of chemicals, learned habituated behaviour, thinking and life circumstances, and overall health, diet etc..

i got a little of track but my point is depression is a normal feeling, just like anxiety. you feel anxious every now and then right? do you have a pathology? i wouldnt say so. but people with OCD, GAD, PANIC DISORDER do. i dont see how you can disagree with me, i am right. i have no doubts about it, and they are negative emotions not something a perfect beign would have.

sorry i wanted to add one more thing, there is no test to determine "chemical imbalance" thus its somewhat of an ethics issue for doctors to claim this. if you cant test for it, you cant say things like that.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
i agree with you beach bum that this is not a scientific debate for the most part, its definitely philosophical. but when people claim the earth is 6000 years old, science can disprove this silly notion.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 05:09:43 PM »
i agree with you beach bum that this is not a scientific debate for the most part, its definitely philosophical. but when people claim the earth is 6000 years old, science can disprove this silly notion.

Tell that to MCWAY!  ;D
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2008, 08:03:37 PM »
not really, tell me how do they know there is a balance of brain chemicals. the know via reverse engineering that is giving drugs and determining the reactions the drugs have. there are ssri, maois, tricyclics etc and many neurotransmitters like serotonin, noepinephrine, dopamine which all play a role. your talking about major depression, everyone gets depressed from time to time. thats why there is an arbitrary illness period if you want of 2 weeks of feeling sad before the depression diagnosis is made, mainly because people feel depressed from time to time, when its winter, during rainy days etc.. depression is normal, major depression is not. anxiety is normal, generalized anxiety disorder is not.

i would also like to bring to light the fact that drugs like tianeptine a serotonin UPTAKE agonist decrease depression like serotonin REUPTAKE INHIBITORS but they dont know why. that is, the drugs have opposite pharmacokinetics but similar effect. thus one increases synaptic concentrations of serotonin and some decrease. also stims like adderall are used for refractory depression as well as amphetamines.

so i somewhat agree with the statement but there are many prominent researchers who disagree, namely many psychotherapists, cbt, dialectic etc.. who feel faulty thinking patterns, lead to feelings not the other way around. and if you read the literature you will see that CBT is = or superior to psychopharmacological intervention

so i dont disagree i just dont think its clear cut and anyone who takes a real rigid stance like that are kidding themselves imo. i think its an interplay of chemicals, learned habituated behaviour, thinking and life circumstances, and overall health, diet etc..

i got a little of track but my point is depression is a normal feeling, just like anxiety. you feel anxious every now and then right? do you have a pathology? i wouldnt say so. but people with OCD, GAD, PANIC DISORDER do. i dont see how you can disagree with me, i am right. i have no doubts about it, and they are negative emotions not something a perfect beign would have.

sorry i wanted to add one more thing, there is no test to determine "chemical imbalance" thus its somewhat of an ethics issue for doctors to claim this. if you cant test for it, you cant say things like that.

I think I understand what you're saying.  A person who is sad is essentially depressed, but there is a difference between that and being "clinically depressed."  Is that right? 

I agree that sadness is a normal human emotion. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »

Yep.  We agree.  Philosophical.

I don't know how old the earth is, but that's a different issue. 

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
you fucking homosexual, shut your mouth fag got.
follow the arrows

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
you fucking homosexual, shut your mouth fag got.

how many men did you make it through after?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
I think I understand what you're saying.  A person who is sad is essentially depressed, but there is a difference between that and being "clinically depressed."  Is that right? 

I agree that sadness is a normal human emotion. 

yep, im using depression and sadness or feeling down interchangebly which is different from the disorder.

we got off topic, i was just trying to argue that you cant have a perfect being with flaws that is all. and jealousy is a flaw in my book, as well as anger. also, worship leads me to think he needs things, or wants, which is also inconsistent with the above traits.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2008, 08:27:36 PM »
how many men did you make it through after?

man haider, everytime i see that picture of you the happiness and pleasure in your face is something only a new mother could enjoy. all i hope is that the "bros" enjoyed the receiving as much as you enjoyed the giving.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »

again if god is the alpha and omega he created the devil, and knowing the future he knew the suffering he would bring. also, he coudl destroy the devil if he wanted since he is omnipotent. the devil doesnt exist. suffering exists in the animal kingdom too, is that the devil and the sins of tigers?

And when He does, will you then blubber and complain about why God destroyed him (which He will eventually, BTW)?

Your god Jehovah is just a local fertility deity, no more special than Queztalcoatal, Thor or Dagda (infact these deities were much more significant).

http://www.bandoli.no/archaeology.htm

Where do I begin with this stuff? Let's see:

The development of monotheism is also different than the version the Holy Book want us to believe. Even the almighty God was once a small insignificant deity. Originally Jehovah was a nature deity, a fertility deity responsible for rain and sun and good crops. All over the holy land idols made of metal or clay are found, both female and male idols. The Jews worshipped a polytheistic fertility religion. Their main male tribal god originally also had a female companion. As late as 100 BC the farmers around Jerusalem practiced polytheistic fertility rituals. And in Jerusalem the temple prostitution flourished. The Jewish prohibition on making depictions of God is also far younger than the Bible claims. In Ugarit, 400 km from Jerusalem, a small figurine of clay was excavated. The figurine shows a bearded man an depicts “El”, the wise one and heavenly father, - an early version of Jehovah. Excavations also show that the Jews had altars of limestone where they honoured their ancestors and made offerings to the natural deities. Rain deities are always popular in desert areas, and the rain god Baal was worshipped in several varieties, - one of which was Jehovah.

Hmmmm.....The Israelites fell into apostasy on more than one occasion (several of them, in fact, as depicted in the Bible). The Israelites were iinstructed not to worship other gods. Also, they were told not to worship God, as the other nations around them worship their gods. As the Old Testament shows, the Israelites disobeyed that edict, multiple times (Shortly after leaving Egypt, they erected that golden calf). So, exactly why should we be surprised that idols were found in the Holy Land?

Temple prostitution flourished? DUH!!! That's how Samuel got his job. He replaced Eli and his sons, because Eli's boys were fornicating with women in the temple. Or, as the the text states, "His (Eli's) sons made themselves vile and he restrained them not."

As for the other claim about the Exodus not happening and there being no evidence of such, again you missed the National Geographic special, which discussed the plagues. Of course, there is indeed archaeological evidence supporting the Exodus, some of which can be found here:

http://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/exodus.htm

One of many and as the other poster said, you have no more evidence for your fertility god than we do for Zeus, Poseidon, Vishnu, Shiva, Baldr or any of the thousands of other gods that still live or more fortuitously have been relegated to the scrapheap of history we call mythology.

Yet, what continually burns your biscuits is that the so-called fertility god Jehovah is one Deity that none of the godless crew over the millenia (including yourself) can relegate to that scrapheap (and it ain't been for lack of trying). As for evidence, it's funny that the link you brought up mentioned Baal. Exactly how is Jehovah a variation of Baal, when we have, to the contrary, a confrontation between the prophets of Baal and one prophet of Jehovah?

And that's certainly not the first instance that the worshippers of Baal fell, as a prophecy against them, recorded in Scripture, came to pass in quite striking details. (Hint: it's found in the book of Ezekiel).

An entirely different question to our resident fundy: what is the molecular composition of heaven and hell? Are they even composed of matter and energy? Are they even part of the known universe or are they magically 'hidden' as are your forever unprovable wrath besotten, anxiety ridden desert deity of goat herders and his alleged 'son' in a loin cloth?

I don't know. There is a point to this question, I hope. Of course, believing in something you've never seen and nobody has ever observed shouldn't be a problem for you, either, given your holding to being the product of 5-billion-year-old goo.

P.S. you have been indoctrinated MCWAY, brutally. Do you really think you would be a biblical creationist if it weren't for having heard it all your childhood and continously as teenager? I think not.

The thing you forget, Trapezkerl, is that (contrary to Usmokepole's claim), I indeed have this thing called FREE WILL. That means that I have the choice of believing what I have learned or not. And, what you REPEATEDLY fail to forget is that people of faith come from all walks of life. There are people who did not grow up in Christian homes, did not go to Christian schools, YET they became Christians.

Conversely, a signficant numbers of atheists come from religious backgrounds (many of them, I've noticed, grew up in Catholic homes). In short, Christians have become atheists; atheists have become Christians; Christians have remained Christians; and non-believers have remained non-believers.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »

Interesting claim. :)

What makes you think so?

Bump for answer from MCWAY!
As empty as paradise

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
Bump for answer from MCWAY!

Sorry for the delay. Trapezkerl's claim was that Christians denied the existence of other gods. My initial post show that to be patently false. As for why I think that they are no more (or on hiatus), while God reigns supreme:

Though I didn't address you directly, I thought I addressed this on my earlier post. I mentioned the confrontation between the prophets of Baal and the prophet of God (in this particular case, Elijah). It was after the prophets of Baal lost, that Elijah and crew went to work.

Not to mention, there was another prophecy against the worshippers of Baal, mentioned in the book of Ezekiel. It involves how and when their empire would come to an end. My take is that, if Baal (or another of those gods, Melkart) could have stopped such a prophecy from being fulfilled, he would have done so.

That's just one of the reasons.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »

Sorry for the delay. Trapezkerl's claim was that Christians denied the existence of other gods. My initial post show that to be patently false. As for why I think that they are no more (or on hiatus), while God reigns supreme:

Though I didn't address you directly, I thought I addressed this on my earlier post. I mentioned the confrontation between the prophets of Baal and the prophet of God (in this particular case, Elijah). It was after the prophets of Baal lost, that Elijah and crew went to work.

Not to mention, there was another prophecy against the worshippers of Baal, mentioned in the book of Ezekiel. It involves how and when their empire would come to an end. My take is that, if Baal (or another of those gods, Melkart) could have stopped such a prophecy from being fulfilled, he would have done so.

That's just one of the reasons.

Look at the World Wars.

Look at the 9/11.

Look at the Tsunami, the Global Warming, the Genocide in Rwanda, The Killing Fields in Kambodia.

You mean to tell me Jahve (the Christian God) is still present, and the other Gods are not back?

All these wars, all this suffering.
As empty as paradise