Author Topic: Doggie Help  (Read 2433 times)

Tombo

• Getbig V
Doggie Help
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
Okay heres the story, we have an old girl Maltese Terrier (never again) and she has a history of mild epilepsy/reactions to certain foods. Usually they are just mild enough for us to comfort her and the incessant head bobbing and tensing goes away. But this time it's weird, and i've read 348949834 things with every possible key word in google to gather info, but i'm wondering if a few pro's here might know.

Mmmk - i woke up early this morning to find my dog had yacked up some of her food or the contents of her stomach whatever they might be in a few different 'puddles' (oh it was the worst smell i've ever smelt) and so i put her on our bathroom with water, some paper and  a soft place to lay down etc etc, then this morning i find her to be okay, but notice shes shaking her head sometimes and foaming at the mouth a little bit - she isn't acting weird other than this and it sounds like a poisoning of some sort, but im just stumped.. it seems mild and hasn't been going for too long but if it continues and she doesn't drink any of her water im thinking i should just take her to the Vet.. but in the meantime anyone know what this could be? 

BTW i haven't administered any flea/tick/heartworm medicine recently and haven't been feeding her any different. And we don't live in an area which has toads / poisonous critters for her to eat (cos shes little anyway and wasn't outside last night).

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Doggie Help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »
I would take her to the vet.  You said these are food reactions?  Have you narrowed it down to any foods?   Any way you could make her diet yourself leaving out those food?  If it is grains and stuff that are problems perhaps switching to a raw diet?  Or if not all grains then a cooked diet if you want to keep grains in her diet?

You don't want her to get dehydrated so a vet trip might be a good idea, and also to rule out any neurological problems or other things.  You don't think she might have had a mild stroke or a bigger seizure do you?

Hope she will be fine.
  :-\

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:29:17 AM »
Thanks we took her to the vet and he said she had a reaction to something toxic she ate.. not sure what that was =/ shes not a chewer (has lost a few teeth) and doesn't really eat things she isn't sure about. We usually feed her good quality processed food, but mix in fresh veggies sometimes so her diet is pretty consistent, she's okay now though.. thanks alot for your concern.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:03:19 AM »
I would take her to the vet.  You said these are food reactions?  Have you narrowed it down to any foods?   Any way you could make her diet yourself leaving out those food?  If it is grains and stuff that are problems perhaps switching to a raw diet?  Or if not all grains then a cooked diet if you want to keep grains in her diet?

You don't want her to get dehydrated so a vet trip might be a good idea, and also to rule out any neurological problems or other things.  You don't think she might have had a mild stroke or a bigger seizure do you?

Hope she will be fine.

You HAVE to be fucking kidding me.  Is your answer to everything a raw diet?  If I break my leg should I eat fucking tripe?

The dog is old, lets switch to a raw diet?  Really, what planet do you come from?  Coming from someone who has no veterinary medical training whatsoever you just flat out should not be giving advice to anyone.  What a pathetic soul.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »
You HAVE to be fucking kidding me.  Is your answer to everything a raw diet?  If I break my leg should I eat fucking tripe?

The dog is old, lets switch to a raw diet?  Really, what planet do you come from?  Coming from someone who has no veterinary medical training whatsoever you just flat out should not be giving advice to anyone.  What a pathetic soul.

Ouch dude.  That was a bit harsh, no?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »

Theres a bunch of stuff going on in Mindspin's HEEEEEEELP thread.  She just never stops.

The dog is up there in age, probably ate something toxic...and Flower's answer is a raw diet.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »
LOL @ temper, learn how to read dude, (his post and mine would be a good spot).   

You sound like a complete moron now.   I would suggest if you have issues with me that you try and control them so when you reply to a post you can sound like someone of intelligence instead of someone with an ax to grind.

:)

ps- yes, even old dog can conceivably change to a raw diet.  It is a reasonable suggestion to consider when a dog has epileptic type reactions to some foods.  Or like I also suggested a home cooked diet where the foods could also be avoided.  Notice I also asked what foods caused those reactions?  There may also be a food on the market that doesn't use those foods in it.  Note also the suggestion the dog should go to the vet.

way to go moron temper! :)

Tombo glad she's gonna be ok.    :D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »

he got spanked in another thread and is a bit touchy now.  That is the only ammo he can use though.   

it's kind of funny   ;D

ps temper - raw diet raw diet!!  wooooo!!!

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 01:27:26 PM »
  he got spanked in another thread and is a bit touchy now.  That is the only ammo he can use though.   

it's kind of funny   ;D

ps temper - raw diet raw diet!!  wooooo!!!

I got spanked in another thread?  To quote the googlemonster:

"   it's the internet, get over it people".  Which is kinda funny cause all this arguing goes on on a forum dominated by 99% mens bodybuilding issues.  Why you choose this place to lead your crusade is beyond me.  You should open up your own business...

Flower:  "The Internet Veterinarian"

Why go to a vet when you can abstain from shots and feed your dog tripe! 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »
Okay heres the story, we have an old girl Maltese Terrier (never again) and she has a history of mild epilepsy/reactions to certain foods. Usually they are just mild enough for us to comfort her and the incessant head bobbing and tensing goes away. But this time it's weird, and i've read 348949834 things with every possible key word in google to gather info, but i'm wondering if a few pro's here might know.

Mmmk - i woke up early this morning to find my dog had yacked up some of her food or the contents of her stomach whatever they might be in a few different 'puddles' (oh it was the worst smell i've ever smelt) and so i put her on our bathroom with water, some paper and  a soft place to lay down etc etc, then this morning i find her to be okay, but notice shes shaking her head sometimes and foaming at the mouth a little bit - she isn't acting weird other than this and it sounds like a poisoning of some sort, but im just stumped.. it seems mild and hasn't been going for too long but if it continues and she doesn't drink any of her water im thinking i should just take her to the Vet.. but in the meantime anyone know what this could be? 

BTW i haven't administered any flea/tick/heartworm medicine recently and haven't been feeding her any different. And we don't live in an area which has toads / poisonous critters for her to eat (cos shes little anyway and wasn't outside last night).

You are very vague in you post, but based on a couple of key things: age of the dog, seizure like symptoms, and vomiting, I'd strongly recommend you go to a veterinarian who does a "geriatric" workup on your dog.  This should include a complete physical exam--including looking in the eyes, the ears, listening to the heart and lungs and palpating the abdomen.  Second, you didn't give a history, but if your dog has a history of "mild epilepsy" and hasn't had blood work done recently, I'd recommend a CBC, chemistry profile and Urinalysis.  The reason being is that in older dogs often don't show overt signs of renal or liver disease intially (diseases which will cause vomiting and seizure like behavior) they can have subtle changes in the urine concentrating ability or chemistry profile.  If those tests are normal, then consider other things like a food reaction.

I'd also advise you not listen to Flower.  Food allergies rarely present as the seizure like activity you've described in dogs and are much more likely to present as skin or ear inflammation with or without secondary infection and/or GI signs such as soft runny stools or frequent bowel movements.  Randomly changing the diet in an older dog with the possibility of underlying medical problems isn't the wisest thing and may result in undue stress on the dog.

Not only that I'd question the veterinarian you took her to if all they did was do a physical exam and tell you its "probably something she ate" in a dog that you describe as not being a chewer or one that could have possibly ingested something toxic.  I'd have to see your dog, but I'd be really concerned about "head bobbing behavior" with what you have described as a history of "mild epilepsy" and one who is vomiting.  That is not a history or clinical sign to be taken lightly in an older dog in my opinion. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 05:23:33 PM »

LOL @ vet   ;D

They way he said what was going on I assumed someone in YOUR profession had told him that was related to food.  It sounded like it has been going on for years.  Seems to ask if he looked into preparing a diet away from those foods is a good suggestion.

Okay heres the story, we have an old girl Maltese Terrier (never again) and she has a history of mild epilepsy/reactions to certain foods.

See, has a history of reactions to certain foods.    ::)  Hmm, to try and stay away from those foods sounds good.

I suppose he shouldn't of listened to me telling him to go to the vet either and find out what exactly is going on?

You and temper sure do have a way to try and slant things to suit you.  ;)

Grow up Vet.   Go get on your professional organizations that are  putting out misinformation to the public.  I didn't think your profession was that fucked up, but according to you it is full of lies and you should get a group together and change that so people will have accurate information.   I thought I could trust some sources I thought should of been reputable and am very upset to realize that I can't.   :'(   Please help make this right Vet.   Please.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 05:29:15 PM »

LOL @ vet   ;D

They way he said what was going on I assumed someone in YOUR profession had told him that was related to food.  It sounded like it has been going on for years.  Seems to ask if he looked into preparing a diet away from those foods is a good suggestion.

See, has a history of reactions to certain foods.    ::)  Hmm, to try and stay away from those foods sounds good.

I suppose he shouldn't of listened to me telling him to go to the vet either and find out what exactly is going on?

You and temper sure do have a way to try and slant things to suit you.  ;)

Grow up Vet.   Go get on your professional organizations that are  putting out misinformation to the public.  I didn't think your profession was that fucked up, but according to you it is full of lies and you should get a group together and change that so people will have accurate information.   I thought I could trust some sources I thought should of been reputable and am very upset to realize that I can't.   :'(   Please help make this right Vet.   Please.

You were a mod once?

So easy to see why you aren't now :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
You were a mod once?

So easy to see why you aren't now :)

I removed myself.   :)

Vet has said he disagrees with MOST statements and they are "way way out there".  They are from supposedly reputable sources, people and organizations, and instead of taking issue with me, he should take issue with them so they will stop promoting such fallacies.  Him being in that profession should 1) care that his profession may be hurting people by promoting false information, 2) and I would think he would want to help animals all over by getting this misinformation from being distributed and easily available.  He is a position to help stop these lies and falsehoods. 

Vet, I am more than willing to lend help in any way I can, you can use me as an example of someone who has read their reports, articles, studies, and in the case of Dodds & Schultz, donated money under false pretenses because of information they listed as true!!       >:(

If you don't try and stop these lies Vet, then you too are part of the problem!

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »
I removed myself.   :)

([/color]

edit:  pointless

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »
I'd have to see your dog, but I'd be really concerned about "head bobbing behavior" with what you have described as a history of "mild epilepsy" and one who is vomiting.  That is not a history or clinical sign to be taken lightly in an older dog in my opinion. 

Question....

Since this is an older dog.....who's to say the dog didn't suffer a stroke or serious seizure (during the night or when she wasn't being observed) & now has suffered some serious neurological damage?

The head moving & bobbing would seriously concern me.  How long has this been going on? 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
Question....

Since this is an older dog.....who's to say the dog didn't suffer a stroke or serious seizure (during the night or when she wasn't being observed) & now has suffered some serious neurological damage?

The head moving & bobbing would seriously concern me.  How long has this been going on? 

Exactly  Thats why I would recommend a geriatric workup on this dog.  Like I said before,  food allergies rarely (and you could even say very rarely) present as the seizure like activity thats been described in this dog and are much more likely to present as skin or ear inflammation with or without secondary infection and/or GI signs such as soft runny stools or frequent bowel movements.  You need to rule out underlying metabolic disease such as renal or kidney failure.  It could also be idiopathic epilepsy, but other causes need to be ruled out first.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
([/color]

edit:  pointless

I agree.  Its not worth it to respond.  Responding just leads to googling like crazy and spouting without ever trying to understand whats being spouted.  Thats been well proven.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:07:45 AM »

LOL @ vet     Master of twisting and ignoring! (I mentioned a vet check for checking for stroke or major seizure in my first post - it does make you look better if you pretend I never said that  ;D

Vet you are real moron if you want to dispute what your colleagues have been saying just because I posted it.  Or if you think it should be disputed you should go to the sources because they are reaching a LOT of people with there misinformation.  I personally would appreciate that because I do want accurate information, and if they are basically lying like you seem to be saying, that is not right. I (and a huge number of people) base decisions on what they believe is accurate and reliable information.  Instead of "discussing" things with me, why not make a difference and see about getting them to stop with promoting misinformation?  As you know, their misinformation is a mouse click away, so this is very serious. People should know that they shouldn't use those sources when looking for information.

I know that will take some time, so while you are gathering your forces maybe you could start a post with a list of links and names of people/organizations that should be considered at the minimum suspect information wise. They all have repeatedly mentioned concerns about over vaccinating and listed adverse affects from over vaccinating which you Vet, have said are false and unproven adverse affects.They have been quoted in mainstream publications and news sources like the USA Today, and MSN.com so they have been far reaching with their deceptions. It is despicable!     

To start:

Dr Dodds   (her writings are suspect?)
   Dr. Schultz  ( suspect?  and soliciting funds under false pretenses w/Dodds)
   AAHA 
   AVMA

I'm sure their are many many more, but those are the ones lay people see in the news and have heard about so taking them down will probably take down a few others in a domino affect who have been using them as sources.   

Please help so others will not believe that they are reputable sources to look for information.     :-[ 

Tombo- who told you or why do you think for all these years that her seizures were related to food?    :-\