Author Topic: New Line Joins Blu-ray Camp  (Read 891 times)

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
New Line Joins Blu-ray Camp
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »
put a fork in HD-DVD

New Line Joins Blu-ray Camp

New Line Cinema will follow the lead of corporate sibling Warner Bros. and release all future high-definition video product in the Blu-ray format exclusively, it indicated Tuesday. The company said that Pan's Labyrinth, released last month, would be the last New Line movie to be available in both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. The website High-Def Disc News said that New Line had canceled the upcoming HD DVD releases of Hairspray and Rush Hour 3.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: New Line Joins Blu-ray Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
 >:(

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
so whats this mean? DVD's are finished?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:30:23 AM »
As long as they don't touch my VHS it's all good  :-*
Z

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:42:28 AM »
so whats this mean? DVD's are finished?

Finished, no. But it looks like Blu-Ray is going to win the battle of the next-gen formats which should make DVDs obsolete quicker than they would be if the the two new formats kept competing. I read in the USA today that now people will have more confidence to spend money on Blu-Ray players seeing as it looks like it is in fact the format of the future. Last year only 1% of DVDs bought were Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, so it looks like regular DVDs are going to be around for several more years. DVDs came out in 1997(I think), and I think it was around 2002 or so that VHS really started getting out of style. Of course the DVD was a HUGE step up from VHS and didn't require new technology TVs etc. When they start making sub 100$ Blu-Ray players, then the regular DVD is in trouble imo.
E

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:17:28 AM »
Finished, no. But it looks like Blu-Ray is going to win the battle of the next-gen formats which should make DVDs obsolete quicker than they would be if the the two new formats kept competing. I read in the USA today that now people will have more confidence to spend money on Blu-Ray players seeing as it looks like it is in fact the format of the future. Last year only 1% of DVDs bought were Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, so it looks like regular DVDs are going to be around for several more years. DVDs came out in 1997(I think), and I think it was around 2002 or so that VHS really started getting out of style. Of course the DVD was a HUGE step up from VHS and didn't require new technology TVs etc. When they start making sub 100$ Blu-Ray players, then the regular DVD is in trouble imo.

All Blu-rays will always play DVD's, so don't worry about having a wasted collection you can only play on an aging machine like VHS.

Also, the DVR and things like TiVo killed VHS quickly.  I got a DVR about a year and a half ago (5 to 10 dollars more than a regular cable box / month) and recording is the only reason I used my VHS.  So now I never use my VHS and the small collection I have collects dust in a box somewhere  :-[

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:25 AM »
HD-DVDs will no longer be available as of May 2008.

Long live Blu-Rays!  ;D