Author Topic: I'm getting rotator cuff surgery Tuesday October 7  (Read 2807 times)

Jimmy L

• Getbig II
I'm getting rotator cuff surgery Tuesday October 7
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
On Tuesday October 7, 2008 I'm getting surgery to repair a 80-90% torn supraspinatus tendon. My doc did an anterior capsular release surgery on August 5 and said when he was in there he saw that 80-90% of my supraspinatus tendon was torn and peeled back from the footprint (medical term). He didn't repair it than because he wanted my range of motion back first (why he did the capsular release). Now my pain and weakness is unbelievable and surgery was scheduled. I'm 28 years old so I figured I might as well get this done now before the pain gets even worse (if that's possible).

He said I will be in a sling for 6 weeks. He really didn't go into much detail on my PT recovery yet but said at 4 months I could go back to restraining people at work (I do security).

Has anyone out there had their supraspinatus repaired? What is the time line of recovery like? How long until I can:

Be pain free?
Get my ROM back?
Do RC strengthening?
Lift weights?
Run?
Box?
Do grappling/wrestling?

Thanks in advance fellas.

The Coach

Re: I'm getting rotator cuff surgery Tuesday October 7
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »
On Tuesday October 7, 2008 I'm getting surgery to repair a 80-90% torn supraspinatus tendon. My doc did an anterior capsular release surgery on August 5 and said when he was in there he saw that 80-90% of my supraspinatus tendon was torn and peeled back from the footprint (medical term). He didn't repair it than because he wanted my range of motion back first (why he did the capsular release). Now my pain and weakness is unbelievable and surgery was scheduled. I'm 28 years old so I figured I might as well get this done now before the pain gets even worse (if that's possible).

He said I will be in a sling for 6 weeks. He really didn't go into much detail on my PT recovery yet but said at 4 months I could go back to restraining people at work (I do security).

Has anyone out there had their supraspinatus repaired? What is the time line of recovery like? How long until I can:

Be pain free?
Get my ROM back?
Do RC strengthening?
Lift weights?
Run?
Box?
Do grappling/wrestling?

Thanks in advance fellas.

It's going to be a while before you are completely pain free. I've never had the surgery but have worked with plenty of people that have had it. All PT is really going to do is to help get your ROM back and that maybe only about 70% or until insurance says your done ::). But usually with in a 2-3 weeks or so you'll start with passive movements without weight, just basically moving your arm above your head, etc,etc. Fast forward a couple of months. As I've said before a 1000 times, no matter what kind of training you do, RC work should always be apart of it and that includes sub-scapular as well. I've mentioned this in other threads, if you have a strong rotator cuff and weak scap stabilizers, you chances of cuff injuries increase greatly.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
Re: I'm getting rotator cuff surgery Tuesday October 7
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
any updates for this?? I think i may need surgery for the same thing as nuthing is helping through my physio ???