Author Topic: I am joining a new gym this week!  (Read 15802 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: I am joining a new gym this week!
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »
I was Ahhing the part about it not being your back. Kind of misleading if you think about it.

I was lusting after that back.  I'd wear spagetti straps in below freezing weather if it was
X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
Yeah my gym NEVER closes 24/7 365 they are open.  Its good to have but I dont think I have ever trained at something like 2am and hope I never do LOL.  But being open on holidays is great.

Rip you got it all planed out dont you.  Already thinking about when your gonna tan for the contest prep. I luv it!  This is gonna be a great summer on this board, I wanna see about 5 contest or whatever goal threads going.  Laura, Rip, meddy doing her thing. hope some others might join in too.  I will be starting mine in late July.  I wanna see lots of pics  8)

I decided today that I'm adding the tanning for $10/month...I can't beat that anywhere, and I think I'm gonna want to get some tan on before the Arnold in a couple months.

I'm psyched too...I will be starting my prep in April, I think.  Right now, I am getting very psyched for the bench meet February 23.
I'm looking forward to seeing how your prep goes too, Luv.  This is gonna be a great year for all of us.   :)
:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

I decided today that I'm adding the tanning for $10/month...I can't beat that anywhere, and I think I'm gonna want to get some tan on before the Arnold in a couple months.

I'm psyched too...I will be starting my prep in April, I think.  Right now, I am getting very psyched for the bench meet February 23.
I'm looking forward to seeing how your prep goes too, Luv.  This is gonna be a great year for all of us.   :)

Yeah Baby!!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »

Yeah, you got to look good for the Jarnold classic!  ;)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2008, 07:13:47 PM »
um...sorry what was the name of the gym?  or didn't you say (for privacy reasons)
X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 03:18:02 AM »
It's a "Workout Club"....that's what it's actually called lol.  The name is one of the reasons that it took me so long to get over there and check it out.  I figured it HAD to be lame with a name like "workout club" but it's pretty damn sweet.   :D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2008, 06:23:52 AM »
Rip,
What is the demographic as far as the other members?
Older, younger?
Anyone else into PL'ing or even semi-seirous about any kind of training?

And about how old are the owners? I'm curious how long they've been in the "business."

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2008, 06:39:34 AM »
Rip, once you make home there, ever think of teaching a class once a week (i.e. Chain Training) in return for a reduced membership?
X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:20 AM »
Rip,
What is the demographic as far as the other members?
Older, younger?
Anyone else into PL'ing or even semi-seirous about any kind of training?

And about how old are the owners? I'm curious how long they've been in the "business."

It looks to be pretty diverse, I've seen kids lifting with their parents, college kids, older people, couples, working people, etc. 
I asked when I signed up if there were any competitors in fitness or BB, and the guy didn't think so, which doesn't surprise me as I live in NH and there aren't alot of them anywhere lol.  One trainer there does bench press competitions with his wife...I know them, they are an older couple, and I've competed with them before, so that's cool...prolly why they are understanding about the chains. 
There seem to be plenty of guys who train alot, we saw a few big dudes this week...it's funny because we've lived in this town for 5 years, and we work with the NPC and know a ton of local people involved with fitness, etc. and we're like "who the hell are all these people and where did they come from?"  :D

Rip, once you make home there, ever think of teaching a class once a week (i.e. Chain Training) in return for a reduced membership?

Yeah, but it would probably be something like posing for Figure or BB, or contest prep in general. 
I doubt there would be a lot of interest in a chain training class taught by a little girl! 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
I'm sure you could dream up something.  :)
X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »
We went to the 24 hour studio gym tonight to check it out.  We got the massage chairs too!   :D

It's a pretty nice little gym...nautilus machines, plenty of cardio, bench, smith machine, some free motion machines, and dumbells up to 65.  Not much leg stuff, but it's ok for some workouts and definitely cardio.  And it's got the massage chairs, nice tvs, and free coffee 24/7. 

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
We went to the 24 hour studio gym tonight to check it out.  We got the massage chairs too!   :D

It's a pretty nice little gym...nautilus machines, plenty of cardio, bench, smith machine, some free motion machines, and dumbells up to 65.  Not much leg stuff, but it's ok for some workouts and definitely cardio.  And it's got the massage chairs, nice tvs, and free coffee 24/7. 

Don't join there. I am already pretty much done with PF, some chick got on my case about not using collars on the flat bench and I kind of laughed so she brought out a contract with the rules and showed me that I signed it, oh brother. I have been going to Ballys this week, I have a lifetime mem. there. I will give PF another shot since I am paying for it, but it really does suck. Also, and I know this is a lot of peoples pet-peeve, but if I have an important call, I need to take it, yet you can't talk on the floor. I think PF is a great gym for using cardio and tanning though. I have a massage chair at my house, not a real good one, just one I got from Art Van, so I haven't used the ones there yet. If they had BBing mags or tabloids I would chill in them and drink a red-bull pre-workout, but they don't even have mags.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »
Don't join there. I am already pretty much done with PF, some chick got on my case about not using collars on the flat bench and I kind of laughed so she brought out a contract with the rules and showed me that I signed it, oh brother. I have been going to Ballys this week, I have a lifetime mem. there. I will give PF another shot since I am paying for it, but it really does suck. Also, and I know this is a lot of peoples pet-peeve, but if I have an important call, I need to take it, yet you can't talk on the floor. I think PF is a great gym for using cardio and tanning though. I have a massage chair at my house, not a real good one, just one I got from Art Van, so I haven't used the ones there yet. If they had BBing mags or tabloids I would chill in them and drink a red-bull pre-workout, but they don't even have mags.

hahaha What a bunch of fkn jokers.   ;D
Did she actually come out on the gym floor to scold you and show you the contract? 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »
Hey Dani,
About a 2 years ago inMusclar Development, Romano wrote a nice piece about Planet Fitness (and similar centers) – right around the time that cop was kicked out of a PF for grunting or yelling, or some such sh*t.

I wonder if “corporate” comes down hard on them about these things. Sh*t rolls down hill & I can’t imagine anyone – male or female – having a stick so far up their ass that they would bust your chops about collars.

I’ve never seen this, heard of it, or even fathomed it. You should have told the woman it’s a safety precaution – in the event that you get pinned under the bar without a spotter you can dump the weight to free yourself. 
 8)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
Yeah, she actually came back out with a copy of the standard piece of paper with all the rules on it. I was acting like she wasn't serious and just kind of laughing about it so I guess she felt the need to show me, good idea about the safety thing though Montague. I also saw this same girl go up to a guy who dropped his DBs too hard and showed him the proper way of putting them down. ;D But he was using the 75s and she showed him with the 15s or something small, so I didn't really see her point. I went there today though and it wasn't that bad. I am sure I will get kicked out eventually though, I am not a grunter but I don't take their rules serious enough for them. 
E

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »
What happened to you seems ridiculous.
But, something like dropping db’s I can understand, as this tends to be a sore subject with me at times.

It’s not so bad if you [have to] drop them paralell, but dropping them on end knocks the sh*t out of those welding connections.
It can get awkward balancing & pushing 90’s and higher when they’re excessively wobbly and those plates start “walking.”

We had a jerk at our gym who would actually drop his db’s from the top portion of the rep when doing presses. He’s been gone for a while. I don’t think the owners even had a chance to confront him. He got bitched out by the other members.

I think that may be why some gyms are implementing those damn rubber dumbbells.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »
What happened to you seems ridiculous.
But, something like dropping db’s I can understand, as this tends to be a sore subject with me at times.

It’s not so bad if you [have to] drop them paralell, but dropping them on end knocks the sh*t out of those welding connections.
It can get awkward balancing & pushing 90’s and higher when they’re excessively wobbly and those plates start “walking.”

We had a jerk at our gym who would actually drop his db’s from the top portion of the rep when doing presses. He’s been gone for a while. I don’t think the owners even had a chance to confront him. He got bitched out by the other members.

I think that may be why some gyms are implementing those damn rubber dumbbells.

The DBs at PF are rubber, it's just a noise thing that they have a problem with. I don't know much about flooring, but whatever is going on with this floor it is virtually impossible to put down the DBs and not make noise. I was wearing my MP3 the first time I put them down and I was shocked at how loud they were, of course everyone stared at me ::)
E

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
Rubber db’s are nice in that they don’t rust, never need repainting, make very little noise, and can never become loosened.

The only downfall I see with them is that when you get into the higher weights, the “plate” portion is so thick that it prevents you from bringing the db’s close together for a peak contraction (as I like doing) when doing presses.

As for the noise…
What are the floors in your gym?
Do they not use rubber matting?

I take it dead lifting is a no-no.

Gotta go meet the girlfriend, now.
I look forward to continuing this discussion.
See you on the E board.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »
Rubber db’s are nice in that they don’t rust, never need repainting, make very little noise, and can never become loosened.

The only downfall I see with them is that when you get into the higher weights, the “plate” portion is so thick that it prevents you from bringing the db’s close together for a peak contraction (as I like doing) when doing presses.

As for the noise…
What are the floors in your gym?
Do they not use rubber matting?

I take it dead lifting is a no-no.

Gotta go meet the girlfriend, now.
I look forward to continuing this discussion.
See you on the E board.

Actually you can DL there, but for some reason just the DB area seems like it it raised or something. It's just impossible to not make noise when putting down the DBs. Come to think of it, I haven't DLed and have never seen anyone else yet, so I have to check on that. I did squat on the smith machine, but I can't remember if there is a squat rack.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
haha that is unbelievable.  I think my husband and I are gonna have to get a guest pass at PF for one of my bench workouts.  I wonder how long we'd last.   ;D

Dropping dumbells quite often is necessary to prevent injury.  You don't have to fkn throw them, but they're gonna make some noise! 
The weight room in my old gym is a converted indoor swimming pool, so they just covered the pool with something, and it's still totally hollow.  It was SO loud when you dropped the weights, even if you just barely dropped them.

My new gym has bumper plates for deadlifting, they're pretty sweet.