Author Topic: US 'doomed' if creationist president elected: scientists  (Read 9088 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: US 'doomed' if creationist president elected: scientists
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2008, 12:32:12 PM »
Many things factor in 2 of 15 companies pursuing embryonic stem cell research. 

Some companies are banking on what they know they can get them a return while others are banking on things with a lesser chance of that.  Some companies have the money to venture that way and some don't.  That's where the federal government comes in with funding.

But let's go back to the reason for the controversy....

If human embryos are not killed is it ok with you?

I'd have to look more into it. My point was that, if there are other options that have the same "potential" as embryonic stem-cell research (without any of the controversy), what's with the obsession over the embryonic stem cells for some folk, especially if the bottom line is curing diseases?

Since you mentioned politicians earlier, that reminds me of the 2004 campaign where John Kerry supporters were getting guys like Christopher Reeve to chime in on this subject, as if to imply that guys like him would never be cured of paralysis, because embryonic stem cell research wasn't being federally funded (thanks to Bush and the conservatives).

Some folks would have you believe that embryonic stem cell research is the lone savior of certain diseases and anyone would oppose embryonic stem cell research is holding back progress and may as well heave those sick people into the graves themselves.