Author Topic: Fed cuts the Funds Rate 3/4 of a Point  (Read 7877 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Fed cuts the Funds Rate 3/4 of a Point
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
So what really happened is he found a deal where a home was selling below current market for whatever reason.  Good for him, but not something that happens every day, obviously.

THAT truly shocks me.  It's interesting to say the least.  I would have thought lenders would have learned their lesson after the past year.  The real problem was never people with "bad credit histories", but people who were in houses they couldn't afford, with no equity, in a falling housing market.

Yes, but deals like that are actually quite common. Look at it like this, someone buys house number 1 in 2003 for x amount of dollars. There was no way they could have afforded house number 2 back then. They find themselves ass backwards on house number 1 five years later and house number 2 is actually priced lower than what they payed for number 1. You got to remember, I am talking about Michigan where the market is beyond horrible right now. For your second point, I agree. Lenders are definitely not pushing 100% financing, and many that did offer it no longer do, but it is still available.
E

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »
So what really happened is he found a deal where a home was selling below current market for whatever reason.  Good for him, but not something that happens every day, obviously.

THAT truly shocks me.  It's interesting to say the least.  I would have thought lenders would have learned their lesson after the past year.  The real problem was never people with "bad credit histories", but people who were in houses they couldn't afford, with no equity, in a falling housing market.

Finding a home below market value is something that Real Estate Investors do all the time.  70% of Appraised Value is standard for most RE investors, and the big boys purchase properties at 20-50% of Appraised Value.  Paying Fair Market for a home is really for the suckers that are more concerned with the color of the carpet and the size of the master bathroom.

The Problem was that TOO much emphasis was placed on the credit score.  It is not the end all be all of an individuals ability to repay a loan, hold a job, etc.  They were putting emphasis on score and being very lax on debt to income ratios.

For Home loans you don't even need much of a credit history, since it is a secured loan, a score will do just fine most of the time.  Now if you are looking at lines of credit and unsecured debt, they examine the depth of your history.

for example, I have over 80,000 in unsecured debt/lines of credit.  Nothing but a signature to obtain it, and not very easy to get.  On the reverse side, I could get a home loan for 400,000 with no problems.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

The Problem was that TOO much emphasis was placed on the credit score.  It is not the end all be all of an individuals ability to repay a loan, hold a job, etc.  They were putting emphasis on score and being very lax on debt to income ratios.

Absolutely true. Some 21 year olds have 700 plus credit scores, just by paying their car payments and credit cards and living with their parents. Stated loans allowed us to inflate(lie) their income and then they were able to purchase homes that there was no way they could afford. 100% financing on stated loans was a joke. I personally wrote loans for people who worked at Hungry Howies or whatever and just said they worked for a contractor friend of mine, making 3 times what they were making to make the DTI work. Since the lenders only called once and asked if so and so worked there, it was a breeze. Never did quite figure out why they didn't look at the credit reports and realize that there was no info at all about the jobs we made up for them.
E

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
Finding a home below market value is something that Real Estate Investors do all the time.  70% of Appraised Value is standard for most RE investors, and the big boys purchase properties at 20-50% of Appraised Value.  Paying Fair Market for a home is really for the suckers that are more concerned with the color of the carpet and the size of the master bathroom.

I understand that, but when it becomes "common", is the assumed "Market Value" really the market value then?  The market value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it at any given point in time, and it changes frequently.  "Appraised value" is a meaningless construct, since what people paid for homes "similar" to mine six months ago might have little to do with what the market may offer for my home today or tomorrow.

The Problem was that TOO much emphasis was placed on the credit score.  It is not the end all be all of an individuals ability to repay a loan, hold a job, etc.  They were putting emphasis on score and being very lax on debt to income ratios.

I agree completely.  Along with not requiring down payments, which traditionally have protected banks from housing market corrections in the event of early foreclosures.

The question is, have they learned their lesson?
Ron: "I am lazy."

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
The real problem was never people with "bad credit histories", but people who were in houses they couldn't afford, with no equity, in a falling housing market.

that combined with lenders giving out "No Doc." loans with ARM'S.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
that combined with lenders giving out "No Doc." loans with ARM'S.

The biggest joke were the SISA loans. Stated income, stated assets. I would sit and run desktop underwriter trying to get loans approved and just keep adding assets until I got an approval. 10k didn't work, how about 20? Then when approved they didn't any verification that these people actually had the assets or that they had a job even, they just called whoever we told them to and asked if they were employed there, and wanted a yes or no answer. Dumbest idea I have ever seen.
E

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »
i can see us having a war with korea after 'they send' nukes to the superbowl!!!!

as long as we keep killin we keep liven . we kill animals time to kill people many many to die for sacrifice . are you ready to be sacrificed knowing you will be in a better place when you die?
A

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Quick Answer - Yes.

What makes you think so?
w

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »
i can see us having a war with korea after 'they send' nukes to the superbowl!!!!

as long as we keep killin we keep liven . we kill animals time to kill people many many to die for sacrifice . are you ready to be sacrificed knowing you will be in a better place when you die?

Well said DW. I had a feeling those gooks were going to nuke the big game.
E

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »
The biggest joke were the SISA loans. Stated income, stated assets. I would sit and run desktop underwriter trying to get loans approved and just keep adding assets until I got an approval. 10k didn't work, how about 20? Then when approved they didn't any verification that these people actually had the assets or that they had a job even, they just called whoever we told them to and asked if they were employed there, and wanted a yes or no answer. Dumbest idea I have ever seen.

Wow.

Lemme guess....  they had salespeople doing their own underwriting, and bonused them solely on the amount of loans they sold, not on how those loans actually performed after the fact?  ::)

And they didn't see this coming?  ::) ::)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
Wow.

Lemme guess....  they had salespeople doing their own underwriting, and bonused them solely on the amount of loans they sold, not on how those loans actually performed after the fact?  ::)

And they didn't see this coming?  ::) ::)

Absolutely (Well, the underwriters aren't the salespeople, the reps are.) All while hammering home the point that if we had a problem with THEIR COMPANIES underwriters, that they would help us get around them so we could get the loan written. Plus, they gave us some unbelievable perks, suite tickets to the games, stripclubs, great lunches brought in daily. The reps have been reigned in a bit in the last year or so though and the honest ones are pretty much the ones left standing. Which is cool, I hated reps who were afraid to say no to loans off the bat, it was just a waste of time usually.

E

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
Just shuffling the house of cards, playing games with paper-they did it for 8 years of Clinton with the stock market, now 8 years with Bush and the housing market...........short term gimmicks.

They are trying to stave off the crash that is coming because we dont manufacture anything in this country at all, its a hollow shell of an economy brought to you by free trade.  The bill is coming due.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »
DO NOT BUY ANY PROPERTY!!!!

The market is going to take in 2008/9 like at no other time in US history....hold on to your butts

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »
Just shuffling the house of cards, playing games with paper-they did it for 8 years of Clinton with the stock market, now 8 years with Bush and the housing market...........short term gimmicks.

Any kind of that attracts speculators will develop bubbles and corrections, whether if be real estate, equities, commodities, whatever.  Nothing new here...  been this way forever.

They are trying to stave off the crash that is coming because we dont manufacture anything in this country at all, its a hollow shell of an economy brought to you by free trade.  The bill is coming due.

You don't necessarily need manufacturing, as long as you have something of value (services, raw materials, capital) to trade for manufactured goods.  I think balance-of-trade is the real issue here... the whole "manufacturing base" argument is just the window dressing.   

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
always has been speculation and bubbles in the market and real estate/housing.but we never propped up a huge chunk of our economy on it like we do now.  Stock market made Clintons time in ofice seem prosperous and the housing market is the only thing that kept Bush's economy afloat.

You cant sustain a large middle class and a healthy economy if we dont manufacture anything in this country, free trade is a real sham. 

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2008, 03:10:59 PM »
Do not fall for the scam of debt!  Debt = slavery!  The people who control all of the real productivity own none of the real wealth!

Canada follows suit:

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN2252036320080122
Bodybuilding Pro.com

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »
I don't think we will have a "textbook" recession but I do believe that there will be one hell of a slowdown though. The bad thing is that the government wants to intervene with a "Stimulus" plan. So, to fix this whole mess the govt. wants to print money (borrowed from China or Saudi Arabia) and give it to us along with tax credits and rebates to businesses to stimulate hiring etc. All short term fixes, we may make it through w/o a Big R, but we will have to live with inflation from oil and heavily subsidized grain that is being sucked up by giant agro companies for Ethanol.

This is an election year so each side has to seem like they are doing SOMETHING all the while ignoring the fact that what they propose didn't work in the 1970's and may help stave off a Big R that would actually force us to make actual changes to policy. Lower corporate tax rates, strengthen the dollar, stop printing money, kill agro subsidies, cut govt. spending, keep taxes reasonably low, and balance the fucking budget. I get a tick when thinking about the 900 billion (soon to be a solid trillion) we owe the Chinese.... :-\

EDIT: Also, keep this on the G and O Board because I can feel an actual solid and informed discussion coming from this. Hell, it beats arguing about Dorian and Ronnie.....

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2008, 03:44:12 PM »
I don't think we will have a "textbook" recession but I do believe that there will be one hell of a slowdown though. The bad thing is that the government wants to intervene with a "Stimulus" plan. So, to fix this whole mess the govt. wants to print money (borrowed from China or Saudi Arabia) and give it to us along with tax credits and rebates to businesses to stimulate hiring etc. All short term fixes, we may make it through w/o a Big R, but we will have to live with inflation from oil and heavily subsidized grain that is being sucked up by giant agro companies for Ethanol.

This is an election year so each side has to seem like they are doing SOMETHING all the while ignoring the fact that what they propose didn't work in the 1970's and may help stave off a Big R that would actually force us to make actual changes to policy. Lower corporate tax rates, strengthen the dollar, stop printing money, kill agro subsidies, cut govt. spending, keep taxes reasonably low, and balance the fucking budget. I get a tick when thinking about the 900 billion (soon to be a solid trillion) we owe the Chinese.... :-\

chinese 'bomb us' chinese terrorists will be the next big thing but we try to take over korea first . antichrist in 2011
A

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
chinese 'bomb us' chinese terrorists will be the next big thing but we try to take over korea first . antichrist in 2011

Please, don't post in this thread again...

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »

sorry i have seniority here at getbig
A

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »

Diamonds are a girl's best friend...

That having been said, daddywaddy's DICK is a real close second!!!
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »

that  being said fine assed hoes and attaining them is what we should be worried about not money because there will be no need for it our  natural rescources are about spent
A

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »

Christ Matt, stop encouraging him!

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2008, 06:53:31 PM »

EDIT: Also, keep this on the G and O Board because I can feel an actual solid and informed discussion coming from this. Hell, it beats arguing about Dorian and Ronnie.....

Does anyone feel that the price of gold is being held down on purpose?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
Does anyone feel that the price of gold is being held down on purpose?

reptilians needed gold in ancient times maybe they still need it, for they have cities of gold with satan
A