Author Topic: Ever ask why???  (Read 7003 times)

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Ever ask why???
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »
i was born and raised in Brooklyn, no matter how hard i try to downplay my accent it is still very noticable, in turn people assume I have a lower IQ because of the way I speak.

I found this to be true,as well.  I was born in Brooklyn and then we moved to Staten Island (this is even before the Verrazzano bridge was built).  A herd of Italians escaping to the "country."

Anyway, when I got to college (in Connecticut), I realized my accent made me sound rather unintelligent.  I literally had to make a conscious effort to change the way I speak, to as to sound more intelligent.  There are some words I had to simply drop from my vocabulary altogether (for example "talk", which came out as "tawk".  Now, I just say "speak".  Oh yeah, and I've stopped calling everyone a "jerkoff".) ;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 01:17:38 PM »
I found this to be true,as well.  I was born in Brooklyn and then we moved to Staten Island (this is even before the Verrazzano bridge was built).  A herd of Italians escaping to the "country."

Anyway, when I got to college (in Connecticut), I realized my accent made me sound rather unintelligent.  I literally had to make a conscious effort to change the way I speak, to as to sound more intelligent.  There are some words I had to simply drop from my vocabulary altogether (for example "talk", which came out as "tawk".  Now, I just say "speak".  Oh yeah, and I've stopped calling everyone a "jerkoff".) ;D
hahaha, try growing up in the south!

I know I have a southern accent and if I let loose it can get pretty bad, lol! I don't mind the accent to an extent...no one can help where they're from...but I can't stand sounding like an uneducated idiot, which many people in the south often sound like.

Any time there is some news worthy story that makes national news in the south, such as a huge tornado or what not, I hate it when they pick the dumbest sounding red neck to interview...I cringe all over when I hear it, lol!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »
An accent has NO bearing on intelligence...

Nor does education often....  ;D

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »
Arizona is one big melting pot.

Tons of people from all over the US move here so I get to hear all the accents. Texans, south, New York, Boston, Wisconsin/Minnesota....all of them crack me up!

Being from Cali originally, no accent, just a lot of slang. Dude, man, awesome, etc...

Funny when someone's accent may be hidden until they get a little buzzed or a little fired up!  :D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »
I dont know what part of Britton they come from, but Ive met some Englishmen who I cant understand but only about every 5th word.... ANd its not that they was drunk.

Some New Zelanders too.

When my wife 1st arrived in the States, she heard Inner city jabber-Jive the first few times and looked all puzzled... She'd ask me in a wisper "What language they speak".  ;D

My reply - That's  English.... Her expression -  ???. Priceless.

SHe's like WTF they grew up here and I speak better English? Pretty sad.

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
  • 1 DiRty Dawg eat dawg world...
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2008, 04:00:03 AM »
Busy B you are 100% correct, i run a sales dept with about 50+ guys and i'm not the best public speaker, sometimes i'm comfortable and i can go on for hours, sometimes i hold a meeting and the VP will walk in and a get a bit nervous and the Brooklyn comes out like fireworks and the same goes for when i'm pissed off and begin to yell, i can't even understand what i'm saying.

What is funny and i wonder if others agree, when you watch a movie or show and actors try to artificially put on an accent, it can be picked out immediately. The Movie Donnie Brasco, although it was a brilliant movie, the accents were horrible same goes for smoking aces that was the baddest of the bad...

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2008, 05:07:09 AM »
Busy B you are 100% correct, i run a sales dept with about 50+ guys and i'm not the best public speaker, sometimes i'm comfortable and i can go on for hours, sometimes i hold a meeting and the VP will walk in and a get a bit nervous and the Brooklyn comes out like fireworks and the same goes for when i'm pissed off and begin to yell, i can't even understand what i'm saying.

What is funny and i wonder if others agree, when you watch a movie or show and actors try to artificially put on an accent, it can be picked out immediately. The Movie Donnie Brasco, although it was a brilliant movie, the accents were horrible same goes for smoking aces that was the baddest of the bad...
I liked the accents in "The Departed." Some of them were not all that bad but some were way over the top.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
Would anyone say that aas has made them more effective from a mental standpoint?

Has it increased your drive and pushed you to succeed?

Very interested.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
Would anyone say that aas has made them more effective from a mental standpoint?

Very interested.
No, but I would say my drive is what lead me to originaly use AAS.

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2008, 06:16:33 AM »
for me personally i've only been working out again for the last year and a half, in that time i dropped about 40lbs and gained some muscle, so i guess from my personal standpoint, the way i look has made me a more confident person, especially when peole notice and come over and squeeze my arm or grab my trap, it really is a confidence booster...

holding meetings with 50 - 60 people, standing in front of the room feeling like a fat out of shape pig or now, i'll choose the latter...

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »

Very interested.

No doubt, low test levels can have adverse effects on your mental well being. Minor depression, low sex drive, etc can all mess with your head. I think clearer, make better decisions, etc when on...

I don't think AAS can push you to succeed, just another tool in the arsenal. We all have that inner drive to be better than we genetically can be.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
No doubt, low test levels can have adverse effects on your mental well being. Minor depression, low sex drive, etc can all mess with your head. I think clearer, make better decisions, etc when on...

I don't think AAS can push you to succeed, just another tool in the arsenal. We all have that inner drive to be better than we genetically can be.
for me personally i've only been working out again for the last year and a half, in that time i dropped about 40lbs and gained some muscle, so i guess from my personal standpoint, the way i look has made me a more confident person, especially when peole notice and come over and squeeze my arm or grab my trap, it really is a confidence booster...

holding meetings with 50 - 60 people, standing in front of the room feeling like a fat out of shape pig or now, i'll choose the latter...
No, but I would say my drive is what lead me to originaly use AAS.

These are all good responses.

I must agree that it obviously cannot create something inside you, only amplify what is there already.

I can definitely see the confidence you gain having an enormous effect on your life though.

When I was BBing I felt a lot more confident in everything I did even though I felt like I wasnt strong enough. Now I feel strong but my appearance to the world is much different and therefore I dont feel the same. I want them both!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »

Very interested.

Absolutely!

It gives you tons of confidence to succeed at ANYTHING.

When my father was having work related issues he tried every medication a doc could give him. after 5 years he tried HRT and said he had the focus of a 20 year old all over again. now i don't know WHY but i can tell you my drive to do well in college/work was 10 fold when using AAS.

8)

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2008, 02:26:46 PM »
There has to be some reason behind, it's like when you are on a cycle, it's a nice day, driving to the gym and that song comes, you know, that one song that drives you crazy and you want to lift the earth...

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »
There has to be some reason behind, it's like when you are on a cycle, it's a nice day, driving to the gym and that song comes, you know, that one song that drives you crazy and you want to lift the earth...

Metallica's "Trapped Under Ice "does it for me  8)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
Metallica's "Trapped Under Ice "does it for me  8)

I haven't liked anything Metallica did since I was back in high school.

I remember when the black album came out.........it was the beginning of the end for them.

"Kill 'em All".

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »
Absolutely!

It gives you tons of confidence to succeed at ANYTHING.

When my father was having work related issues he tried every medication a doc could give him. after 5 years he tried HRT and said he had the focus of a 20 year old all over again. now i don't know WHY but i can tell you my drive to do well in college/work was 10 fold when using AAS.

8)

I could imagine that happening. My natural hormone levels are considerably less than they used to be and I remember having so much more drive.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »
I haven't liked anything Metallica did since I was back in high school.

I remember when the black album came out.........it was the beginning of the end for them.

"Kill 'em All".

DIV
Greatest metal band of all time...no question.

New album sounds promising. The album is being produced by Rick Reuben and for those that don't know, anything done by this guy is always top notch.

Here is the first rough release of new stuff from the upcoming album. James sounds a little rough on the vocals but I'm sure once it gets worked on a little more it will sound much sharper. Anyway, this song and album has a lot of promise IMO.

&feature=related

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:45 PM »
i hate to admit it but certain house songs, that beat comes on and i can't get to the gym fast enough, it's a hard feelign to come by, but when it comes, look out world..........

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
Greatest metal band of all time...no question.

New album sounds promising. The album is being produced by Rick Reuben and for those that don't know, anything done by this guy is always top notch.

Here is the first rough release of new stuff from the upcoming album. James sounds a little rough on the vocals but I'm sure once it gets worked on a little more it will sound much sharper. Anyway, this song and album has a lot of promise IMO.

&feature=related

I prefer good Industrial to Metal for the most part, but I like many styles of music.

I thought Metallica sold their soul when they changed their style years ago.

Nothing can change that now.......

I'd take classic Ministry "Psalm69" over anything Metallica did..........great guitar riffs and samples.

Al Jourgenson is a genius.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2008, 02:17:04 AM »
id have to take Bury Your Dead or Hatebreed or Every Time I Die or Pantera or Slip Knot over any 50 yr old metallica...

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »
I prefer good Industrial to Metal for the most part, but I like many styles of music.

I thought Metallica sold their soul when they changed their style years ago.

Nothing can change that now.......

I'd take classic Ministry "Psalm69" over anything Metallica did..........great guitar riffs and samples.

Al Jourgenson is a genius.

DIV
The post "Black" albums were not that bad...excluding St. Anger. IMO, if any other band had done those albums they would have been big hits...they just were not up to par with former Metallica albums...still decent though.

id have to take Bury Your Dead or Hatebreed or Every Time I Die or Pantera or Slip Knot over any 50 yr old metallica...
Pantera is fantastic, Slip Knot, sort of average IMO. Hatebreed, repetitive and dull IMO.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2008, 06:57:23 AM »
The post "Black" albums were not that bad...excluding St. Anger. IMO, if any other band had done those albums they would have been big hits...they just were not up to par with former Metallica albums...still decent though.
Pantera is fantastic, Slip Knot both are fantastic ,  IMO. Hatebreed, repetitive and Maybe a little dull IMO.

ill give you hatebreed is a bit repetitive but how about Bury Your Dead they are i think my fav right now theyre pretty intense...

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »
i hate to admit it but certain house songs, that beat comes on and i can't get to the gym fast enough, it's a hard feelign to come by, but when it comes, look out world..........

I'm with you on that one...Dance and Electronica music is the best for cardio and fast paced training sessions.

Now when it's time for some heavy lifting, i throw in Pantera, Old Metallica, Old Megadeth or maybe some Slayer...Pantera's first two albums are classics and songs like "this love" or "mouth for war" can make a person very aggressive...lol

Metallica is by far one of the best 80's metal bands, if not the best and i agree the black album was the end of their reign. anything produced in the 80's is top notch and untouchable IMO. "trapped under ice" and "fight fire with fire" get me going every time.

When it's time for bag work or cardio i'll listen to some Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Burren or Tiesto...the beat keeps you moving and keeps my blood flowing hard.

8)

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2008, 03:09:38 PM »
For me, 2 songs still get me absolutely psycho in the gym:

ACDC's Shoot to Thrill

Living Color's Open Letter to a Landlord