Author Topic: The Week The Women Went  (Read 9554 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: The Week The Women Went
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
Episode 2:
The Men Go It Alone

Aired: Jan, 28, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the buses roll out of town, some of the women waste no time in embracing their week of “no responsibility!” Others fight tears, guilt at leaving their children behind and relief at finally getting a break. Across Canada and also globally, women carry a disproportionate load – they are the primary caregivers whose household labour is unpaid and often undervalued. This week is a unique chance for the women – a time for themselves and some self-reflection.

Meanwhile, on the home front, the men and kids get straight down to business. In an immediate case of too many chores and not enough hands, the guys start relying on each other. Some like Darcy Goodrich enlist Dad to help out; others like David Hays call in a friend.

David has good reason to palm off the two youngest of his four children – he’s got a busy day on his family’s ranch, branding and castrating 600 steers. The Hays family goes back four generations in Hardisty and today the fifth generation - David’s sons, Blair and Blake - get a taste of Dad’s cuisine… At the end of the day in true prairie style, the ranch hands kick back with the tradition of frying up what they just cut off and everyone’s invited to the “prairie oyster” supper.

But the farmers aren’t the only ones in a party mood. All across town the men get together lighting up their BBQs to solve the question of dinner… Resulting in potential disaster for the town’s liquor store. It’s only day one and already John Pioker, who’s filling in at the store for wife, Mary Ann, is running out of stock.

The women’s celebrations also mount, as they get closer to Canmore, and their plush resort. But for some women, being away with other women might prove challenging. Cathy Belanger is a single mother who has struggled to raise her children alone.

To complicate matters, the teens are planning to go a little wild this week – and the Belanger kids are leading the charge.

To view episode 2: http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide2.html
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
Episode 3:
Drama on The High Seas!:

Aired: Monday, February 4th, 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The women of Hardisty, Alberta have made a fantasy trade – for 7 days they’ve ditched their jobs, housework and childcare for an all expenses paid holiday in the Rocky Mountains. But it’s day one and the so-called relaxing holiday takes a dramatic and unexpected turn…

Single Mom, Deb DeGraw has a near death experience while white water rafting the mighty rapids on the Kananaskis River. Deb’s left her 13-year-old daughter, Dionne, in the care of her ex-husband, Wes, and while gulping for air, she thinks she’s never going to see either of them again…

Meanwhile, in Hardisty, work on the men’s surprise town project crunches to a halt for a different emergency. 27-year-old pipeliner, Dustin Miller, is at home looking after his two young sons Aidan and Liam. He’s building a shed with his father, the expert carpenter Brad Miller, but Dustin slips with the nail gun and punctures his arm. Without a word to anyone, Dustin races himself to the hospital. So Brad is left minding the kids… and the community project is left without a carpenter.

And, if working on a town project or building a shed at home while minding the kids aren’t large enough plans, one man has decided to shoot for the moon…

Todd Moody and his girlfriend Leah Rogers have three kids together but for the past 10 years Todd’s resisted the idea of marriage. Now Leah’s away and Todd suddenly has a change of heart. He plans to propose to Leah the moment she gets home and marry her the next day.

And he wants the whole thing to be a surprise. That means pulling off a secret wedding in just 7 days. Todd’s trusted his secret plans to no one but a couple of buddies – but his wedding planner Darren Hays potentially blows it before the second day is even over.

To view episode 3: http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide3.html
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »
I've just attempted to read this (thought I ought to because someone I respect started this thread)

& I'm not sure really, because I abhor reality tv, it's all made up.

I reckon most kids should thank themselves lucky if they have a Dad these days.  If their Mummy sticks around, good on them. 

Hey it's a new world and you're creating a new society by living in a live on tv sphere.

I chose to not have children. 

Although I now realise (via the trash on tv) that I've either stopped or robbed the gene pool.
xL

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
I too am not really into Reality TV shows. not sure if it's just elitism (Hollywood has always had a disdain for Reality TV participants) The attitude seems to be a hierarchy of theatre actors >> then Film >> then TV >> commercial >> etc) ...at least until Ozzy Osbourne proved how useful it could be for putting new life into an otherwise stagnant career. After the novelty of the 1st one wore off, I pretty much found them pretty disgusting, ...especially the ones that focus on and exploit serious issues, but this one I'm finding very interesting.

There's a real interesting dynamic in this town that seems to work for the families involved.

It's a charming little town, and most of those characters seem like pretty good people. I can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I have a feeling that all families developed a greater appreciation for their partners, moms & dads, ...and I doubt the dynamics have changed (much).

It's the way it is because clearly it works for them, otherwise, they would be doing something to alter it.
It would be interesting to know how Theresa's relationship holds up. It looks like her marriage is already on the rocks.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 01:50:43 PM »
Jesus H.

They already have "Celebrity Wife Swap" in England and are into the 2nd year and this season have a gay couple going awol. 

Z list celebrities, of course, doubt they get paid much.  Possibly £100,000 a week?  But they're pretending to be wonderful at bringing up kids.  Then they all fake it when attempting to use a washing machine.

I can't watch it, makes me wanna barf, so instead I just read the news headlines today and the entertainment pages the day after.

& I have a perfectly normal otherwise friend who is the mother of a 13 year old daughter who is addicted to America's next desktop model...  They tape it and then watch it in the morning.  Puke making, I say.  No wonder I am no longer able to hold a proper conversation.
xL

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Episode 4:
Who's Holding The Aces Now?:

Aired: Monday, February 11th, 2008.

As most mothers know, getting the kids up and out the door for school can be an exercise in frustration.
Today, the men of Hardisty are witnessing first hand just how frustrating that morning routine can be...

39-year-old Ed Wurz is usually on the road for up to 17 hours a day. The life of a long haul trucker is certainly challenging but with his wife Penny away, Ed’s now towing what seems like a heavier load - running around after their three boys, Dylan, Derrick and Travis. Ed’s the sort of Dad who likes things done his way, precisely, and on time. But his truculent boys have found ways to test Dad’s patience – first, they sleep in, and then 8-year-old Travis decides to give himself a haircut…

Across town, another trucker, Brad McKensize’s struggling to get the kids going in the morning but at least he’s got a helping hand – his mother Shirley. Brad’s supposed to be minding his girlfriend Pam Krause’s three kids, Melinda, Kyla and Carson on his own this week, but Shirley (who stayed in town to play bingo), is picking up Brad’s slack. Is Brad playing fair to the other men in town?

Speaking of the other men, Todd Moody’s secret wedding plans are going from bad to worse – first, his wedding planner accidentally spilled the beans to a friend, and now, Todd’s kids have found out. Word is leaking out and Todd doesn’t like it one bit. So far, his intended, Leah Rogers, still doesn’t know but Todd figures it’s only a matter of time – so he decides to go on the offensive. Radically.

Elsewhere in town, some Dads and their kids are spending more time with each other than they’ve ever done before. Bachelor Sam Holinaty is typically the life of the party – popular and charismatic – he’s father to 11-year-old Keaton. Keaton would love to live with his Dad and this week, Sam’s discovering just how important being there for his son really is.

In Canmore, the Hardisty women settle in for a round of boisterous poker – led by Kelly Weatherly. The change in location has prompted a surprising shift of gender roles. Typically multi-tasking between jobs, children’s activities and community volunteering, the women have little time to just hang with other women. They’re starting to re-examine their identities and let go just a little bit at a time.

There’s reflection and re-examination in Hardisty too. Curtis Chisen and his girlfriend, Nikki Brausen split a couple of years ago and then a week after they split Nikki discovered she was pregnant. They’ve been having difficulty seeing eye to eye over the care of their child, Carter. This week is a chance for both of them – Nikki to learn to trust Curtis, and Curtis to prove himself as a good Dad. And Curtis opts to mark the occasion in a special way, perhaps more than Nikki could ever have imagined.

To view episode 4: http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide4.html
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »
OK, I finally got caught up on ALL the epiisodes. I'm glad I watched this reality show.
It wasn't as big a trainwreck as some of the pther sensationlized shows where people literally degrade themselves for the voyeuristic pleasures of others, ...this one turned into a real learning experience for everyone, ...and as I predicted, most people started to appreciate their partners more. Good Stuff!  :)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
Episode 5
Miss me yet?

Aired: Monday, February 18, 2008. 8pm

The men of Hardisty are at the halfway point. They’ve been without their women for 4 days and the cracks are starting to show. They’re tired, and worn out. But it’s not just the piling laundry and dirty dishes that are evidence of their suffering…the guys are getting… lonely.

Brand-new father, 25 year old, Shawn Gaetzman is the most grief-stricken of all. His wife and nursing baby are Canmore, so this week Shawn could relive his bachelor days. Instead, he chooses to ease his pain by going into overdrive on household chores and personal grooming. But pretty soon Shawn’s lawn is immaculate and his house (and manicured feet) are spotless too. So now what? Shawn’s emptiness will be filled by a presence he’s been trying to avoid – his estranged twin brother, Robert Gaetzman. And Shawn isn’t exactly thrilled about it…

Meanwhile, Iranian Canadian restaurant owner, Max Sabeti, has a gigantic womanless void to handle. Max runs the local bar and his entire female staff, as well as his business partner / girlfriend Tamara Seidel, are all away kicking up their heels in the mountains. So Max is left juggling his three young kids and customers – without much success in either. Something gives when Max’s week takes a drastic and unexpected turn with news from Iran….

Perhaps the only folk in town not missing their Moms are the teenagers. They’re gearing up for the biggest party of the year, the annual “Zok Rock” bush bash. Justin Belanger turns 18 years old the same night and with 300-500 revelers expected to attend Justin’s sure “it’s gonna be the best birthday ever!” Another teen, Michael Nelson is eager to go partying too – but his father Neal has other ideas.

And speaking of partying, on the ladies holiday, Mairead Morrison finds herself in the same room as Julie Pasztor. These two women haven’t spoken since Mairead’s divorce from Julie’s younger brother, James. There’s tension in the air as Mairead makes her way over to Julie. Mairead’s objective is to speak her mind – and rescue her reputation at the same time. But how will she be received?

To view episode 5:   http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide5.html
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »
Episode 6:
The real price of oil…

Aired: Monday, February 25, 2008. 8pm

Hardisty’s a town full of oil patch dads… they work away from home for weeks at a time… and why not? The pay is good and the jobs ‘a plenty. But with their women gone for a week, many Hardisty fathers are forced to take a good look at the impact their jobs are having on their families – and for some of them, the reality is proving to be a big eye opener.

32-year-old Darren Hays runs a trucking company, which specializes in moving massive oilrigs. He’s constantly on the road, which typically leaves his wife Tracey to do the lion’s share of the parenting of their two children, Caylynne and Colby. This week is the first time Darren’s ever looked after the kids on his own and he’s running out of time and energy to make good on his commitments to the family.

Across town, another oil worker, Kevin Clarkson, is facing disaster. So far, he’s killed the vegetable garden, mixed up his wife’s laundry and now he’s been told that the company he works for might be sold, meaning Kevin might lose his job. Kevin’s dilemma is whether he should tell his wife Heather. He doesn’t want to spoil her holiday with the news that he might be forced to leave town for a job back in the oil patch. But keeping things in check might be more than Kevin can take….

And keeping things in check might be more than Todd Moody can take too. Todd has his hands full trying to plan a secret wedding for girlfriend, Leah Rogers. Leah is blissfully unaware of Todd’s big plans – which is good because it’s starting to look like Todd’s bitten off far more than he can chew. In Leah’s absence, their house has become a veritable war zone – all Todd’s buddies have dumped their kids at his de facto daddy day care, and the wedding plans are sinking faster than Todd can bail.

One man determined not to bail out is local politician Doug Griffiths. He’s been housebound for five days minding his one year old, Austin, and he’s had about enough of it. Surviving on just a few hours sleep, Doug decides he’s going to get out and about with the people by appearing on a radio show… with Austin in tow. Pretty brave given that the program is live to air and Austin’s wailing is… loud.

To view episode 6:  http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide6.html
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
Episode 7:
Unfinished business…

Aired: Monday, March 3, 2008. 8pm

Due to the Alberta provincial election coverage on Monday, March 3, CBC Television's THE WEEK THE WOMEN WENT will be pre-empted in ALBERTA ONLY and will now telecast on Sunday, March 9 at 7 p.m. The final episode will air in it's regular time slot on Monday, March 10 at 8 p.m.

There’s less than 48 hours to go before all the women return home to Hardisty. As the ladies start packing their suitcases, some of the men are packing up too… On Main Street they’re racing against the clock to finish the surprise community project while at home there are the dishes to get clean, the house to organize and dirty clothes to… well, let’s face it… stack into laundry piles for the ladies to deal with on their return!

Over the past week many men have spent unprecedented time with their children and enjoyed their fair share of trauma and tantrums along the way... But, the experiment has also given everyone insights into the role of fathers and value of dad-time.

For single dads, like Sam Holinaty, this week marks the longest period of time he and his 11-year-old son, Keaton, have ever spent together. In addition to the “manly vacuuming” that Sam’s proud to say he’s finished, Sam’s also contemplating Keaton’s return home to his mom’s house, but it’s bittersweet and will perhaps be more painful than Sam anticipates.

Other dads like step-Dad Evan Drager are reaching the end of the week by fulfilling long overdue promises. Evan and his wife Colleen live on his family farm outside town with Colleen’s two daughters Maddie and Belle from a previous relationship. There’s an old barn on site which Colleen fears is a death trap for her curious girls or wandering livestock, and she’s repeatedly asked Evan to tear it down. But this is a tough ask of Evan – his grandfather built the barn and the aged timbers hold a host of memories. Against the odds, Colleen’s absence prompts Evan into taking action and in some of the most dramatic footage seen so far the stubborn old barn puts up a darn good fight.
Another farmer, Darcy Goodrich, has his hands full this week juggling his day job in the oil patch and his two young boys, and herd of cows at home. While feeding out with his kids in tow, Darcy faces one of the toughest tasks any parent must do – explain the meaning of life and death to his children.

In Canmore, most women are savouring their last moments of the holiday but not Noreen Metz. She’s “done” with the pampering and the luxury and wants to go home. Never one to understate, Noreen would literally shift the hands of time if she could…. as would groom-to-be Todd Moody. Todd’s spent all his time this week trying to secretly plan a surprise wedding for his long-term partner, Leah Rogers. With just hours to go before Leah comes home, Todd’s valiantly trying to organize the hall. Unfortunately for Todd, his “helpers” aren’t just being unhelpful. This time…they’ve vamoosed…!

To view episode 7:  http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide7.html
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
Episode 8:
A homecoming for the history books!

Aired: Monday, March 10, 2008. 8pm

A week ago the women of Hardisty, Alberta skipped town for an all-expenses paid luxury vacation in the Rocky Mountains. 7 days have ticked by with the men in charge and in that time… well… let’s just say things have been done a bit differently…. There’s been Dad’s daily dinner of BBQ’d meat … novel bath times where kids plus a soapy trampoline equals clean… and most delicious of all, staying up well beyond Mom’s bedtime curfews! Yet, in the midst of the madness, children have grown closer to their fathers and tough prairie men have been brought to their knees.

The men screwed up, made good, banded together and commiserated in their communal loneliness - some even resorted to talking with the dog. Some fathers have been forcedto re-examine their priorities and some men now know how to put the washing machine on. With recriminations, reflections, tears and predictions the men and children gather en masse on Main Street. But the biggest emotion of all is ANTICIPATION. Three buses of Hardisty women are 7kms away and everyone is eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Well, almost everyone…

Jeremy Ottenbreit was away fishing when his wife Teresa left town. Their argument over the trip was the latest in a series of marital disputes. In the time that Jeremy’s been back home he hasn’t heard from Teresa once, and he’s been increasingly worried about his decision to put fishing before family. Jeremy knows that plenty of other Hardisty men have had the odd sneaky phone call and he’s upset Teresa hasn’t dialed him in. Feeling guilty and remorseful, Jeremy is waiting nervously on Main Street, not even knowing whether Teresa is coming home…

On the ladies buses, some women are in a guessing game too. 39-year-old Kelly Weatherly left her two kids behind with her much younger, Mohawk sporting fiancé Tyler Sim. She’s looking forward to seeing them, and has high hopes this week will have done much to bond their unconventional family unit together. Little does she know how her hopes will be dashed...

The biggest mystery of all is what unsuspecting bride-to-be Leah Rogers will say when the bus rounds the corner and she sees her partner, Todd Moody and all her extended family. Todd’s been planning to propose to Leah all week. But now it’s D-day and Todd is terrified. The hall is decorated (in lilac), the tux is on standby, and the celebrant is in the wings. As the moment of truth draws near, Todd furiously wipes the sweat from his brow. Will Todd man up or back out? Will he drop to his knees? Will Leah do an “I do”? Get the Kleenex ready…

To view episode 8:  http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide.html
w

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »
I don't have children, but I can cook pretty good, I know all the ins and outs of housekeeping, and I know exactly what I can spend.   :)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »
I don't have children, but I can cook pretty good, I know all the ins and outs of housekeeping, and I know exactly what I can spend.   :)
And you said all that very nicely without typing a novel unlike the above  :)