Author Topic: Shoulder impingment and bicep pain  (Read 4095 times)

clayton green

• Getbig II
Shoulder impingment and bicep pain
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
I recently had an MRI of my shoulder which showed a bone spur/impingment.  I have been experiencing shoulder pain when doing benches and front press as well as pain in my bicep during chins and curls.

Could I drop the front presses  and just do lateral side raises and rear delt raises in lieu of the presses and still make good shoulder gains?

Any suggestions other than surgery about the pain with related exercises?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Shoulder impingment and bicep pain
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
Thru trial and error you have to find out exacty what exericises are causing this. In your case you might already know. Once the problem's isolated to certain exercises, you can first try different variations of the same exercise and see whether that allows you to continue the movement without pain.

In the case of shoulder presses, try the same thing using DBs instead of BB, or use a machine. The grip and grip width can make a huge difference in how the shoulder feels.

And of course make sure there's always a good warmup first. Then keep rests between sets at 1 minute or less.

Also, keep the reps on the higher side using less weight. Reps in the 10-15 range, not lower. That works well for delts anyway, and will remove some of the joint stress that heavier weights cause.

If all of that doesn't work, eliminate the exercise all together. Yes, laterals will do the job on lateral delts, they're great..

On biceps same thing, eliminate the problem exercises one at a time for a few weeks and figure out which one(s) are causing the problems, then go thru the same process as above to find less problematic alternatives.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Shoulder impingment and bicep pain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:04:36 AM »
im suffering from similar problems to u,, pain in biceps and in my shoulder,, only its my ac joint not my actual shoulder joint.. gettn cortisone next monday.. wonder how the bicep pain ties in with this?