Author Topic: Swordfish  (Read 1100 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Swordfish
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »
Just had some for the first time a few weeks ago.  Don't know if it's good for you or not - probably is - but holy moses it's good!  Eat some dammit!

Marinate a swordfish steak in soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and grated ginger.  It cooks pretty quickly in a pan or on a bbq.

You're going to thank me later.  :)

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
Re: Swordfish
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »
How is it in terms of smelling?? Some fish like salmon, smell up my whole house, as much as I like salmon I just can't cook it at home it smells too much.....I found that Orange Ruffi is a good fish to cook it doesn't really smell.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
I agree, salmon is possibly the smelliest fish in the world.  It's nothing like salmon.

A bbq and a fish cooker (2 sided wire rack, hinged) are good for cooking fish outside.  I don't think you'll have to with swordfish tho.

It's not your run-of-the-mill whitefish.  The meat retains so much moisture it's unbelievable.  I've never been a huge fish fan, but this has me hooked.  I'm going to have some more this evening.  Bon appetit.  :P

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:51:57 AM »
i know swordfish is loaded w mercury.   Don't get too attached!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
But it's one of My Favorite Things!  (Is that coltrane like the saxaphonist?)

Damn this poison planet!  It's too expensive to eat every day anyway, but I'll enjoy in moderation.  Thanks for the info coltrane.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »
nope...coltrane like Dukes of Hazzard..

12secGT

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:58:07 AM »
Just had some for the first time a few weeks ago.  Don't know if it's good for you or not - probably is - but holy moses it's good!  Eat some dammit!

Marinate a swordfish steak in soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and grated ginger.  It cooks pretty quickly in a pan or on a bbq.

You're going to thank me later.  :)
Hey man, swordfish is/was one of my fav seafood dishes. No fishie taste, smell like say a Salmon. But the problem with fish like this and Tuna, Mahi Mahi, etc... they are OVERFISHED! Trust me, I'm no Greenpeace nutjob but as a fisherman from the east coast I can tell u that the size of the portion you get at the market has gotten MUCH smaller due to the shear size of the whole ones caught. My old Boss had a 50' Hatteras fishing boat and he used to go out in the Keys for game fishing and he also said that he stopped because it wasn't fun anymore as the size of the fish have gotten very small because we don't allow them to grow.
My suggestion is to try Tilapia or Flounder or some other plentiful fish instead of Swordfish.... Just the good thing to do for now.  :D 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
12secGT, I'll try the Tilapia.  I've had flounder in the past and it was pretty plain whitefish.

Besides, I'm in Australia, so I don't know if overfishing is global or just in your area.  I haven't heard any sort of endangerment talk, which I would take very seriously. 

Frankly, I'm a prick when it comes to eating what I like.  I do good things for the planet like recycle (although the environmental benefit is debatable), conserve water, energy, use "green smart" products to some extent, etc.  Truth be told, if I limit my consumption of a particular food it will be because of it's effect on my system because I do more than most for this mo-fo planet.  I want a yummy reward, I can afford it, and I have the culinary skills to justify it!  lol  ;) 

I'm not going to live on the stuff bro, but I really was struck by how good it was.  Just had to share...

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »
I work in the fish business, and it's true that swordfish and tuna aren't the best choices from an environmental perspective, swordfish because of overfishing and tuna because of mercury (sorry Tapeworm!).  Swordfish is at the top of the food chain and has mercury issues as well.  Mercury is really only a concern if you're eating these fish more than a couple of times a week.

The majority of salmon is farm-raised these days, and that's not really any better, environmentally speaking.

Moderation is the key...you're not going to cause the commercial extinction of the species by eating it occassionally.  You're OK to eat swordfish from time to time, Tape.  Throw one on the bbq for me, I'll be over later.  ;)

Your best bet is always to purchase fresh seafood from your local fishermen whenever you can.  Always ask where your fish came from.  :)
:)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »
Ya, I did a quick google after coltrane's post and read one that advised only one "meal" (although quantity wasn't specified) per week.  For pregnant or expectant mothers, they advised extreme caution since mercury can affect cognitive development.  They advised no more than 1 serve per month or less.  I'm guessing the same would go for young kids. 

My few remaining brain cells are Darwinian Select.  Nothing has been able to kill them, so I conclude they will remain unharmed by a meal every week or two.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »
My few remaining brain cells are Darwinian Select.  Nothing has been able to kill them, so I conclude they will remain unharmed by a meal every week or two.

I'd go with that theory.   :)

:)

12secGT

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
12secGT, I'll try the Tilapia.  I've had flounder in the past and it was pretty plain whitefish.

Besides, I'm in Australia, so I don't know if overfishing is global or just in your area.  I haven't heard any sort of endangerment talk, which I would take very seriously. 

Frankly, I'm a prick when it comes to eating what I like.  I do good things for the planet like recycle (although the environmental benefit is debatable), conserve water, energy, use "green smart" products to some extent, etc.  Truth be told, if I limit my consumption of a particular food it will be because of it's effect on my system because I do more than most for this mo-fo planet.  I want a yummy reward, I can afford it, and I have the culinary skills to justify it!  lol  ;) 

I'm not going to live on the stuff bro, but I really was struck by how good it was.  Just had to share...
I'm the same way man. If I want to eat it I will. I just wanted to get that point about over-fishing out there. Maybe the Down Under has a little more fishies running around and they seem to take care of the enviro more so than say China who could care the less if they kill a million sharks a day for soup. Google Bobby Flay and his receipe for fish taccos... DUDE... Trust me, the Tillapia is unreal...  ;D