Author Topic: Stiff-leg deads in the Smith...nice switch for me  (Read 2366 times)

dov

• Getbig IV
Stiff-leg deads in the Smith...nice switch for me
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
gym was very crowded..was forced to hit my stiff-leg deadlifts in the smith machine..it was incredible..really fried my hams..was able to use the bar as resistance and draw my hips back a little further..great stretch in the hamstrings.. was able to "pull" against the bar on my way up..def. adding these to the repitoire.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Stiff-leg deads in the Smith...nice switch for me
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

Try them on a Hack Squat machine....use your imagination but they work really really well. :)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »

Try them on a Hack Squat machine....use your imagination but they work really really well. :)
that's more like a good morning..
follow the arrows

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:34:09 PM »
I'll have to give it a try. SLDL are one of my favourite exercises.
No doubt about it...

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »
This is one of the only exercises I think the Smith is good for.  good post.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »
I agree with LatsMcGree. SLDL's but not regular DL's. Though it may depend on where the notch placement is at the start of a set. Good Luck.
F

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
gym was very crowded..was forced to hit my stiff-leg deadlifts in the smith machine.....

you mean all the free bars were taken?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 03:17:08 AM »
Stand on a bench for a better stretch.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »
Absolutley, the best thing to do is a less effective, more dangerous version of the lift.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
that's more like a good morning..

yep

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
Absolutley, the best thing to do is a less effective, more dangerous version of the lift.

I was thinking the same thing..if you look at a stiff leg'd deadlift..the bar just doesn't move straight up and down, it follows the line of the body. A SMITH MACHINE is straight up and down movement set on a fixed plane.. if you do it even close to being right you won't get full extension nor will you get a lockout.

Next time still a bar off the benches and do them in the gym floor. The more I think about the smith machine the more disgusted I become with it. Only good if you have to rehab and injury or are working alone and still to bitch to work in a cage.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »

My mistake.......I wouldn`t advocate using a bench doing them on a Smith Machine but I would using a barbell.

Not too heavy (10-15 reps),just for stretching the hams not for power.

For power I would advise regular deadlifts.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
Stand on a bench for a better stretch.
we , obviously, use sldl's differently from each other. When I do sldl's , the bar does'nt go much deeper then my knees. I use sldl's as a hamstring movement...not a lower back movement.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »
we , obviously, use sldl's differently from each other. When I do sldl's , the bar does'nt go much deeper then my knees. I use sldl's as a hamstring movement...not a lower back movement.
actually if you're using stiff's as a ham movement you should be doing the OPPOSITE of what you said, you should lower the bar all the way down for a full stretch but only come halfway up.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »
actually if you're using stiff's as a ham movement you should be doing the OPPOSITE of what you said, you should lower the bar all the way down for a full stretch but only come halfway up.
that sounds like ALL lower back... I start my movement by drawing my hips back while descending the bar. Once my hips are all the way back, the bar is just below my knees. From here, if I go any deeper, then it's all lower back. I begin my upward movement by digging my heels into the ground to use my hams and slowly drag my hips back to the starting position. It fries my hams  ...sets of 8-10 with 225lbs..perhaps we , also, have diff uses for sldl's

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »
that sounds like ALL lower back... I start my movement by drawing my hips back while descending the bar. Once my hips are all the way back, the bar is just below my knees. From here, if I go any deeper, then it's all lower back. I begin my upward movement by digging my heels into the ground to use my hams and slowly drag my hips back to the starting position. It fries my hams  ...sets of 8-10 with 225lbs..perhaps we , also, have diff uses for sldl's
you must have a one in a million structure then because locking the weight out at the top is where 95 percent of the lower back stimulation occurs, sure your lower back is involved when you stretch but the stretch is 95 percent hamstrings, you'd be surprised how much more stimulation your hams recive when you stand on a 100 pound plate and really pile on the weight with 315-455 and do the reps for a full stretch and don't lock out, try it sometime.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
you must have a one in a million structure then because locking the weight out at the top is where 95 percent of the lower back stimulation occurs, sure your lower back is involved when you stretch but the stretch is 95 percent hamstrings, you'd be surprised how much more stimulation your hams recive when you stand on a 100 pound plate and really pile on the weight with 315-455 and do the reps for a full stretch and don't lock out, try it sometime.
Never said I lock out..that would be foolish. I always keep a slight break at the waist...who's your pick SF? I like Pats to win by a couple of scores....

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »
Never said I lock out..that would be foolish. I always keep a slight break at the waist...who's your pick SF? I like Pats to win by a couple of scores....
so what do you do? sounds like you do the middle third of the movement, stiff's are really considered a stretch movemnet for the hams, sounds like you're doing more of a ROMANIAN deadlift variation, stiffs with a stretch are the only movement that make my hams sore.....BTW i've got the Pats winning 28-17.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »
so what do you do? sounds like you do the middle third of the movement, stiff's are really considered a stretch movemnet for the hams, sounds like you're doing more of a ROMANIAN deadlift variation, stiffs with a stretch are the only movement that make my hams sore.....BTW i've got the Pats winning 28-17.
I take a narrow stance and KEEP only a slight bend at the knee throughout the entire range of motion. The knee position stays the same throughout. The break at the waist becomes greater as I draw my butt straight back. The stretch is great at the bottom. As I start up, I pull with my hams and engage them by trying to drag my heels back. I'm rooting for the Pats. The Rams went from the" greatest show on turf" to the cellar, huh? Oh well, there's always next year...or the next

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »

brutal misunderstanding of human physiology

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
brutal misunderstanding of human physiology
when you do sldl's , do you use your hams or lower back to pull up?  I use hams..back is def secondary

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast