Author Topic: What does it mean to be a Reagan Republican?  (Read 509 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
What does it mean to be a Reagan Republican?
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »
Look at the following points and ask yourself, “Self, why would anyone want to be a Reagan Republican?”

Here’s a list of some of Reagan’s accomplishments:

October Surprise:  Was a secret Republican plan to block release of the hostages held in Iran until after the 1980 U.S. presidential elections.  The Reagan team (led by George Bush) negotiated with the Iranian radicals to hold onto the hostages until after the election to undercut President Carter’s efforts to free the hostages.  This has been verified by various Iranian officials, the Russians and the French.  What a surprise it was when the hostages were released on the very day Reagan was sworn into office.

Raised Taxes 7 times out of his 8 years in officehttp://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_bartlett/bartlett200310290853.asp

Signed the largest tax increase in US history:  This was the payroll increase which hits lower and middleclass people hardest b/c the tax is capped at the social security wage base (in 2008 that’s $102,000).  So in effect, Reagan shifted the tax burden from the high-end earners to those less able to pay.

Massive deregulation:  Let’s look at one of the products of crazy deregulation: the Savings & Loan Scandal (which, surprisingly, involved a Bush family member).  Due to the removal of key accountability regulations, the S&Ls scammed the government out of taxpayer money to the tune of over 1 trillion dollars.

Iran/Contra Affair:  The Crown Jewel.  Since the Reagan administration was adept at dealing with Iranian radicals (see October Surprise), it is not surprising that Reagan’s people were illegally selling stinger missiles to the Iranians to fund death squads in Central America to choke off fledgling democracies and keep the elites in power.  Is that treason?

Apparently being a Reagan Republican means shifting the federal tax burden from the wealthy to the working class and poor, treasonable trading with an enemy country, financing rightwing deathsquads in foreign countries, and creating a deregulated business climate where white-collar crime can go undetected until its too late and the costs are passed on to the Public.

But he restored respect to the presidency and the country….for those not knowing any better.

At least he could read his cue cards…our current president does not have such a gift.

"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that is true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not."

--Ronald Reagan

Hey Mitt and John, why the big rush to be a Reagan Republican?