Author Topic: The tendency to get fat may be hardwired in the brains of some people.  (Read 4405 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: The tendency to get fat may be hardwired in the brains of some people.
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »

Like I said, bodybuilders are oblivious of the problems faced by obese people. Their solutions are not supported by science because once obesity has established itself it is very difficult to permanently reverse. Those of you who think it is easy obviously don't work in gyms. Oh, sure, everyone thinks that if you can control what these people eat the fat would fall off. Well, that doesn't always happen because a lot of the size of obese people is fluid retention. Most here have little idea about obesity. It would benefit everyone if they did study this problem but most here assume the way to get big muscles is to take more drugs.

No, the fat would fall off if you controlled the calorie intake. I do believe obesity has a biological component though, as some people have a harder time controlling food intake. The metabolism isn't slower, it's just that they have a set-point that strives towards a higher bodyweight (many hormones and systems at play here). But the higher bodyweight doesn't happen without the extra calories.

Edit: I clicked your link. Even the article says the same thing. It doesn't say people get fat without overeating or can't lose when they restrict calories. Leptin is a signal that controls satiety. Some peoples' appetites are greater, to put it simply.

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
strange  :-\

are you delusional?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
Of course there is a direct relationship between calories consumed and body composition. That is why most weight loss surgery works. However, care has to be taken that hunger is controlled otherwise patients can regain the weight if they are hungry most of the time.

A concern I have noticed on very heavy people is that many have joint problems especially with the knees and back. If the knees are chronically sore then exercise would be limited because you can't train legs effectively and they are some of the largest muscles in the body. Imagine carrying around a pack weighing over 200 pounds. That would soon defeat even the strongest among us. Well, some fat people have to do that on a daily basis.

What can not be denied is that we have little clue about what it is like to carry around a huge body and be unable to do much about it. The comments, stares and so on would severely affect everyone who is supersized.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
this is bullshit, their metabolism is the same, they just sneak eat when no one is looking. That is the only difference.

not really  , its kind alike fight or flight in some people  ///// these people bodies just want to keep storing for a rainy day....still not an excuse to be obese

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »
not really  , its kind alike fight or flight in some people  ///// these people bodies just want to keep storing for a rainy day....still not an excuse to be obese
Nah, there's a lot of research on BMR and such. It doesn't differ that much. Relatively few people have a thyroid problem and so on.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »
Nah, there's a lot of research on BMR and such. It doesn't differ that much. Relatively few people have a thyroid problem and so on.

i don;t believe thyroid is the casue  my best friend is fat he just klike i do doesn;t train as hard as i do but does cardio every day and his bodyfat is like 20% , i believe its other underlying factors not just thyroid