Author Topic: Ohio Mayor to Marines: Training Would 'Frighten People'  (Read 2182 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ohio Mayor to Marines: Training Would 'Frighten People'
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »
How do these people get elected?   ::)

Saturday, February 09, 2008

An Ohio mayor had a stern order for a company of Marine Corps Reservists: Get out.

The Toledo Blade reports that Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner ordered the Marines out Friday as their buses were arriving for a three-day training mission in the city, where they have periodically trained since 2004.

The 200 Marines, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., had planned to participate in urban patrol exercises in downtown streets and a vacant building, according to the Blade, which reports that past exercises have included mock gun fights, ambushes and the firing of blank ammunition to simulate urban combat.

Finkbeiner said that would be alarming.

"The mayor asked them to leave because they frighten people," Brian Schwartz, the mayor's spokesman, told the newspaper. "He did not want them practicing and drilling in a highly visible area."

Toledo police knew of the plan days in advance, but Finkbeiner apparently didn't, the Blade reports. The Marines turned around and went home to Grand Rapids.

The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted last week to send a message to Marine recruiters that they weren't welcome in the city because of the military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy toward gay servicemen and servicewomen.

Following a public uproar, Mayor Tom Bates issued an apology Wednesday to military personnel for any personal offense taken by the council's actions, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330197,00.html

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: Ohio Mayor to Marines: Training Would 'Frighten People'
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »
How do these people get elected?   ::)

An Ohio mayor had a stern order for a company of Marine Corps Reservists: Get out.

The Toledo Blade reports that Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner ordered the Marines out Friday as their buses were arriving for a three-day training mission in the city, where they have periodically trained since 2004.

The 200 Marines, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., had planned to participate in urban patrol exercises in downtown streets and a vacant building, according to the Blade, which reports that past exercises have included mock gun fights, ambushes and the firing of blank ammunition to simulate urban combat.

"The mayor asked them to leave because they frighten people," Brian Schwartz, the mayor's spokesman, told the newspaper. "He did not want them practicing and drilling in a highly visible area."

Toledo police knew of the plan days in advance, but Finkbeiner apparently didn't, the Blade reports. The Marines turned around and went home to Grand Rapids.

The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted last week to send a message to Marine recruiters that they weren't welcome in the city because of the military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy toward gay servicemen and servicewomen.

Following a public uproar, Mayor Tom Bates issued an apology Wednesday to military personnel for any personal offense taken by the council's actions, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News.

Can you say "Getready for the police state and show us your papers!" ?!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »

Sounds reasonable to me.
S

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »
"The 200 Marines, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., had planned to participate in urban patrol exercises in downtown streets and a vacant building, according to the Blade, which reports that past exercises have included mock gun fights, ambushes and the firing of blank ammunition to simulate urban combat.  Finkbeiner said that would be alarming."

200 men in black roaming downtown with loud machine guns, shouting orders and running from building to building.

Gee, you think a few people might be alarmed?  People would be terrified.   Also that borders on posse commatadus (sp?)  Soldiers don't work against citizens, and sure shouldn't be scaring them.  A mob of 200 men in black with machine guns... yes, people would be frightened.  If you believe that no elderly, or soccer mom, or children will be frightened by machine gun fire from 200 men in black, I have to question your grasp of reality.  More importantly, I'd like to know where you live, where it's normal and unalarming to see 200 men with loud machine guns roaming downtown on a normal basis? 

:D
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
"The 200 Marines, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., had planned to participate in urban patrol exercises in downtown streets and a vacant building, according to the Blade, which reports that past exercises have included mock gun fights, ambushes and the firing of blank ammunition to simulate urban combat.  Finkbeiner said that would be alarming."

200 men in black roaming downtown with loud machine guns, shouting orders and running from building to building.

Gee, you think a few people might be alarmed?  People would be terrified.   Also that borders on posse commatadus (sp?)  Soldiers don't work against citizens, and sure shouldn't be scaring them.  A mob of 200 men in black with machine guns... yes, people would be frightened.  If you believe that no elderly, or soccer mom, or children will be frightened by machine gun fire from 200 men in black, I have to question your grasp of reality.  More importantly, I'd like to know where you live, where it's normal and unalarming to see 200 men with loud machine guns roaming downtown on a normal basis? 

:D

I'm not sure BB is playing with a full deck...   ;)
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:35:36 AM »
I'm not sure BB is playing with a full deck...   ;)

Oh that stings coming from one of the kids who believes the government secretly murdered airline passengers and shot missiles into the Pentagon. 

Regarding this knucklehead Mayor, he's an idiot.  The Marines have been training there for four years.  Most reasonable people who live in military towns embrace them.  They don't scare anybody.  I see jets flying outside my office window every week.  We have the Army and Marines rolling up and down the highway all the time.  No one panics here. 

This guy should move to Berkeley.  He'd fit right in.  And of course he's a Democrat.  ::)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
I dont see why they dont make their own little playground in the middle of nowhere.........why bother civilians with that crap..

They can build some concrete bunkers and buildings and go blow the shit out of them.

If they need civilians to be running around for the simulations, then they can dress in normal clothes and do it themselves out in the sticks.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »

Regarding this knucklehead Mayor, he's an idiot.  The Marines have been training there for four years.  Most reasonable people who live in military towns embrace them.  They don't scare anybody.  I see jets flying outside my office window every week.  We have the Army and Marines rolling up and down the highway all the time.  No one panics here. 

Baaa, baaaa, baaaa

My name is Beach Bum and I am now ready for the police state.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »
Baaa, baaaa, baaaa

My name is Beach Bum and I am now ready for the police state.

LOL.  . . .  Do you sleep with a shotgun?  LOL. . . .  I bet you own a police scanner too.   :D

But I digress.  The issue is this idiot mayor, not whether I'm a very happy person who enjoys life or whether you're paranoid about a "police state." 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
LOL.  . . .  Do you sleep with a shotgun?  LOL. . . .  I bet you own a police scanner too.   :D

But I digress.  The issue is this idiot mayor, not whether I'm a very happy person who enjoys life or whether you're paranoid about a "police state." 

I'm not paranoid about anything but I worry sometimes about people that think like you do about the subject.

You think it's very normal to have 200 militray men in an urban setting performing drills with assault rifles, etc.. and wonder why that would upset people.

Sorry but that's fucked.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »

I'm not paranoid about anything but I worry sometimes about people that think like you do about the subject.

You think it's very normal to have 200 militray men in an urban setting performing drills with assault rifles, etc.. and wonder why that would upset people.

Sorry but that's fucked.

There is nothing unusual about the military conducting training exercises near populated areas.  They have been training in that town for four years. 

They train on this island all year long.  There is nothing frightening about our public servants training to protect you and me.  That's actually a good thing.  If you have ever lived near a military installation then you wouldn't be frightened by the presence of military members, training or otherwise.  We have all branches of the armed forces all over this island.  The only ones who complain about them are a handful of Native Hawaiian activists.  The overwhelming majority of the population embraces them, as they should.  They are among the most important members of our society. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
There is nothing unusual about the military conducting training exercises near populated areas.  They have been training in that town for four years. 

They train on this island all year long.  There is nothing frightening about our public servants training to protect you and me.  That's actually a good thing.  If you have ever lived near a military installation then you wouldn't be frightened by the presence of military members, training or otherwise.  We have all branches of the armed forces all over this island.  The only ones who complain about them are a handful of Native Hawaiian activists.  The overwhelming majority of the population embraces them, as they should.  They are among the most important members of our society. 

Do they train right in the downtown area?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
Do they train right in the downtown area?

No.  There is no place for them to train in downtown Honolulu.  Plus they have plenty of available training areas on the island.  But military vehicles are always rolling through the streets and on the highway.  The military is all over the place here.   

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
The artilce said the military wanted to train downtown.

The 200 Marines, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., had planned to participate in urban patrol exercises in downtown streets

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
"The Toledo Blade reports that Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner ordered the Marines out Friday as their buses were arriving for a three-day training mission in the city, where they have periodically trained since 2004."

Mr. Cortisol

• Getbig IV
  • Twink, Twink, little star.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »
200 men in military gear, running around shooting blanks at each other in a populated area =
definitely not normal.

most people would be alarmed.

maybe you're used to it, as your other posts have shown you have lots of military friends and follow politics and live in a military town.

But in most towns, you drop in 200 men shooting loud guns into their daily lives and they will be VERY ALARMED.

beach Bum, no offense to you man, but you're surrounded with military stuff in your life.  Most people in non-military towns never see or think of them, other than when they clap for them at football games. 
Addicted to the Steal

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
No.  There is no place for them to train in downtown Honolulu.  Plus they have plenty of available training areas on the island.  But military vehicles are always rolling through the streets and on the highway.  The military is all over the place here.   

Gee, I wonder why?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
200 men in military gear, running around shooting blanks at each other in a populated area =
definitely not normal.

most people would be alarmed.

maybe you're used to it, as your other posts have shown you have lots of military friends and follow politics and live in a military town.

But in most towns, you drop in 200 men shooting loud guns into their daily lives and they will be VERY ALARMED.

beach Bum, no offense to you man, but you're surrounded with military stuff in your life.  Most people in non-military towns never see or think of them, other than when they clap for them at football games. 

Cortisol I might agree with you if they hadn't been training there since 2004. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »
Gee, I wonder why?

Gee, maybe it's because "There is no place for them to train in downtown Honolulu.  Plus they have plenty of available training areas on the island."

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
Gee, maybe it's because "There is no place for them to train in downtown Honolulu.  Plus they have plenty of available training areas on the island."

I give up.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
S

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »
Cant they practice 100 miles offshore underwater?  Then they could be tuff like the SEALS.. :D