Author Topic: Should Presidential campaign ads be in Spanish?  (Read 5787 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Should Presidential campaign ads be in Spanish?
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 11:47:21 AM »
When people who speak English cannot understand the signs in an area, it's a problem.  You might to cauterize that bleeding heart of yours.  Grow some balls and stop apologizing for what happened 250+ years ago in this country.  We are an English speaking nation, whether it is official or not.   No, the easiest way to solve the problem is to give them an incentive to learn the language.  Taking away forms in other languages throws you in the deep end and teaches you to swim or you sink.  Tough shit.  My great grandparents had to do it and did it, why can't the legals and illegals now do it?  Simple, because they don't have to.  Shit, people in Europe and Asia know more English than the immigrants here.  That's sad.
Quoted for truth.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
Doesn't matter how he got here. The question is if the law permits him to vote.

It does matter how he got here.  If he is illegal, he is not eligible to vote.  He has to be a naturalized citizen to vote.  (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781452.html)

By the way, I am not against presidential ads in Spanish.  Doing ads in multiple languages is a candidate's personal choice.  They aren't government documents or products.  I don't think that we should, however, print government documents in dual languages.  It is costly and is a disincentive for people to learn english.  Having a common language just makes commerce and governance easier.  Ask businesses in the EU how much extra it costs them to deal with multiple lanquage requirements on product labelling and such.  I am pretty sure that it is quite significant.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »
It does matter how he got here.  If he is illegal, he is not eligible to vote.  He has to be a naturalized citizen to vote.  (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781452.html)

Many people who come here illegally do naturalize.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Many people who come here illegally do naturalize.

The only way that can happen is through an amnesty (as happened in 1986), or if they leave and re-enter the country legally by being granted an immigrant visa.  Someone can't just be here illegally and apply for naturalization...  it doesn't work that way.
Ron: "I am lazy."

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
People who come here illegally can naturalize.

Sure and part of the requirements of naturalization are, "an ability to read, write, and speak English"

(see below and http://www.uscis.gov/propub/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=sethitdoc&doc_hit=1&doc_searchcontext=jump&s_context=jump&s_action=newSearch&s_method=applyFilter&s_fieldSearch=nxthomecollectionid|SLB&s_fieldSearch=foliodestination|8cfrsec3121&s_type=all&hash=0-0-0-17103 from the US Citizen and Immigration service website:  )

So once Juan is naturalized, why should we cater to his Spanish-speaking heritage?  If he is now American, he should speak, read & write english.

Naturalization

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The general requirements for administrative naturalization include:

a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States;
residence in a particular USCIS District prior to filing;
an ability to read, write, and speak English;
a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
good moral character;
attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and,
favorable disposition toward the United States.
Note: Recent changes in immigration law and USCIS procedures now make it easier for U.S. military personnel to naturalize (see Naturalization Information for Military Personnel).

All naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character, attachment, and favorable disposition. The other naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. citizens. Applicants should review the materials listed under "Related Links" and carefully read the N-400 application instructions before applying.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
Whatever, dude.  Sometimes you come off like you want to be goatboy for a day. 

He and I don't always agree, but Goat and I both bring a lot of common sense to the table. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
Sure and part of the requirements of naturalization are, "an ability to read, write, and speak English"

This is actually a very good point.  In order to vote you must be a citizen.  In order to become a citizen you must have "an ability to read, write, and speak English".

So, given that, why the FUCK should ballots be printed in any language other than English?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »

Didn't Clinton promise that the passage of NAFTA would stem the flow of illegal immigrants from the south? 

And people want them back in the White House?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »
And people want them back in the White House?

That won't happen.  The election will be Obama vs McCain.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »
Level of English proficiency required to memorize answers to questions at the "interview"< Level of English proficiency required to follow discussions/analysis/statements of candidates.  

Like I said, Spanish language ads/programs facilitate inclusion........

They're already here. why would you want an alienated group in your midst?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »

So, given that, why the FUCK should ballots be printed in any language other than English?

He said "campaign ads" for Christ's sake.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »
He said "campaign ads" for Christ's sake.

The conversation expanded beyond just campaign ads when you weren't looking.  8)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »

The conversation expanded beyond just campaign ads when you weren't looking.  8)

Well, ballots need not be in any language other than English, IMO.  If they can't master the rudiments of English literacy, they shouldn't be voting.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Like I said, Spanish language ads/programs facilitate inclusion........

They're already here. why would you want an alienated group in your midst?

They'll do what every other "alienated" group in our midst like the germans, italians, poles, and swedes did:    learn the language and become Americans.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »
California has Spanish-language ballots.

Let me be clear - for the most part, I LOVE immigrants and I openly admit my respect for what they mean to our economy. 

But the electoral process - which is the business of ALL the people - must be conducted in English only. 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »
People can speak their language and practice culture but as far as a formal setting, such as business, elections or health care they need to be able to converse in English ONLY.  People abuse the fact that they don't need to learn the language or that they can congregate in close communities and never learn the language. What happens if their is no translator to tell the doc you are allergic to certain meds and you don't have the ID bracelet?  Think about it.  It's not only necessary but smart to learn the language.
Squishy face retard

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2008, 01:29:44 PM »
That won't happen.  The election will be Obama vs McCain.

I dunno, man.  I'm still afraid. 

The Clinton machine has worked out exactly what they need, numbers-wise, in the remaining primaries and I'm not so sure that their plan of action for achieving that will be entirely ethical or legal. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
Try bringing this issue up in real life.. lol You'll be branded a racist faster than Speedy Gonzalez.  :-\

I agree that the US shouldn't cater to spanish immigrants. I'm sick of pressing '1' for english and sick of them asking english speakers to learn their language.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
Try bringing this issue up in real life.. lol You'll be branded a racist faster than Speedy Gonzalez.  :-\

I agree that the US shouldn't cater to spanish immigrants. I'm sick of pressing '1' for english and sick of them asking english speakers to learn their language.

I've brought up my border protection plan to many friends.  They laughed their asses off.
Squishy face retard

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »
I've brought up my border protection plan to many friends.  They laughed their asses off.

The reason they laughed is because they know that the federalis need the completely open border for a couple of key reasons:

1) cheap labor
2) narcotic traffic

Both of things have to be protected by the people in power and that is why we spend millions to maintain an open border. 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
The reason they laughed is because they know that the federalis need the completely open border for a couple of key reasons:

1) cheap labor
2) narcotic traffic

Both of things have to be protected by the people in power and that is why we spend millions to maintain an open border. 

Nope, I can honestly say that is not why they laughed but thanks for playing.  "Cheap" labor is costing us billions so that argument goes out the window. 
Squishy face retard

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »
He and I don't always agree, but Goat and I both bring a lot of common sense to the table. 

The Goat also brings a resentment of the less fortunate that is unseemly in the privileged.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
The Goat also brings a resentment of the less fortunate that is unseemly in the privileged.

I disagree with the "privileged" characterization.  I'm not a trust-fund baby who was handed wealth without a clue of what it takes to create it.  Instead I started from scratch and worked for it.  Perhaps if I actually were "privileged" I would have a more charitable attitude towards the stupid and lazy   less fortunate.   ::)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »

I disagree with the "privileged" characterization.  I'm not a trust-fund baby who was handed wealth without a clue of what it takes to create it.  Instead I started from scratch and worked for it.  Perhaps if I actually were "privileged" I would have a more charitable attitude towards the stupid and lazy   less fortunate.   ::)

You seem to be doing well enough, and I'm sure the majority of them are not lazy, and probably would handle themselves better if they had better education.

NubianMuscle

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
Should Presidential campaign ads be in Spanish?

Only if Presidential campaign ads in Mexico are in English.

;D ;D ;D
D