Author Topic: Bush Administration Made Housing Crash Possible  (Read 1388 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Bush Administration Made Housing Crash Possible
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:15:51 AM »
From an article by Eliot Spitzer:

Not only did the Bush administration do nothing to protect consumers, it embarked on an aggressive and unprecedented campaign to prevent states from protecting their residents from the very problems to which the federal government was turning a blind eye.

Let me explain: The administration accomplished this feat through an obscure federal agency called the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). The OCC has been in existence since the Civil War. Its mission is to ensure the fiscal soundness of national banks. For 140 years, the OCC examined the books of national banks to make sure they were balanced, an important but uncontroversial function. But a few years ago, for the first time in its history, the OCC was used as a tool against consumers.

In 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules.

But the unanimous opposition of the 50 states did not deter, or even slow, the Bush administration in its goal of protecting the banks. In fact, when my office opened an investigation of possible discrimination in mortgage lending by a number of banks, the OCC filed a federal lawsuit to stop the investigation.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/printer_021408C.shtml

________________________ ___________________

So the Bush Administration 'de-regulated' banking oversight  practices through pre-emption of state oversight laws leaving the little guy with the shit end of the stick.

How ingenius.

How entirely typical of this immoral administration.

Why does this idea keep coming to mind?:  We have the largest military budget in the world by far, yet our soldiers in the field in Iraq are poorly armed. 

Is this a kind of trend or am I a victim of synchronisity in my thinking?

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: Bush Administration Made Housing Crash Possible
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:31:40 AM »
My gawd. Never in history have i seen so much corruption.  Im so pissed I could chew metal and spit nails!! >:(

Even right now he wants immunity for the telecomm companies to listen in  on our calls......and this recieved minimal media attention.   Only on the net did it get out for the most part.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:07:46 AM »
My gawd. Never in history have i seen so much corruption.  Im so pissed I could chew metal and spit nails!! >:(

Even right now he wants immunity for the telecomm companies to listen in  on our calls......and this recieved minimal media attention.   Only on the net did it get out for the most part.
Since the Reagan years, this has been the M/O of republican politicians--bend over backwards for the monied interests and throw the costs on the little guy.  Republican populism is like Jumbo Shrimp...it's nonsense.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:15:27 AM »
Since the Reagan years, this has been the M/O of republican politicians--bend over backwards for the monied interests and throw the costs on the little guy.  Republican populism is like Jumbo Shrimp...it's nonsense.
Would you agree that BOTH parties are selling the great people of our country to the monies of the different special interests groups?   Healthcare companies, National Education Association, Homosexual Advocacy, Pharmaceutical companies, Unions, Tobacco companies...must I go on?

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:21:01 AM »
Right on!  Thank you for the article.  Down here in South Florida you see so much of this...people barely making 40k a year but somehow getting a $350k home...on top of the interest, the ridiculous insurance, and property taxes.  Any little "What If" scenario such as a family member getting sick, losing a job, or even the damn car breaking down can cause you to lose your home.  There are a lot of people who need to work overtime just to make ends meet....barely having leftover for food and gas.  That isn't living man.

Some of this is to blame on the American people though for not thinking this through and using their homes as their personal piggy banks.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
Would you agree that BOTH parties are selling the great people of our country to the monies of the different special interests groups?   Healthcare companies, National Education Association, Homosexual Advocacy, Pharmaceutical companies, Unions, Tobacco companies...must I go on?
You're right.  Both parties are contemptible but the difference is that the democrats throw a bone to the working man once in a great while and as a matter of course the Dems do not destroy governmental oversight for accountability as a matter of some ridiculous principle of being anti-government.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »
You're right.  Both parties are contemptible but the difference is that the democrats throw a bone to the working man once in a great while and as a matter of course the Dems do not destroy governmental oversight for accountability as a matter of some ridiculous principle of being anti-government.
That bone gets taxed like the government hates us from our old neighborhood or something.  Plus, I'd rather keep more of the bones that I own from earning them vs. the government divvying my money up.  Let me have the right to be generous, don't force me to be that way. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
Bush took off the training wheels.

Greedy, irresponsible borrowers (regular people) rode their bikes off the cliff.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
That bone gets taxed like the government hates us from our old neighborhood or something.  Plus, I'd rather keep more of the bones that I own from earning them vs. the government divvying my money up.  Let me have the right to be generous, don't force me to be that way. 
We either pay now or pay later with interest.

I'd rather pay now without the added interest from borrowing.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
Bush took off the training wheels.

Greedy, irresponsible borrowers (regular people) rode their bikes off the cliff.
That's rather well put.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

Yes I would
S