Author Topic: The Matrix of Illusion  (Read 6952 times)

Red Hook

• Getbig V
Re: The Matrix of Illusion
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 05:10:40 AM »
Figgs is 19, had sex for the first time last year. He probably hasn't had a great piece of ass yet.

and now he is the enlightened one ::)

probably just started taking philosophy in college, he probably just read chapter 2 of a philosophy book

hehe..wait until he gets to the chapter on Anselm and Gaunilo..that should be good for a couple of threads by him
I

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 05:25:17 AM »
his perception of reality , is called his conscious awarness

there isnt a flaw

it is simply conscious awarness

every thing is conscious and aware

from the smallest atom and electron bonding

or speck of bark on a tree aware of oxygen and a million other particles it makes contact with

Conscious awareness is what you would strive for during meditation, and ultimately everyday life. Not having thoughts of the past or the future influencing your mind, experience and emotions. Being aware of only the present moment is a very difficult state of mind to achieve and needs a lot of practice through meditation. It is probably the best state of mind to have for the most part if you can master it.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 05:46:17 AM »
Conscious awareness is what you would strive for during meditation, and ultimately everyday life. Not having thoughts of the past or the future influencing your mind, experience and emotions. Being aware of only the present moment is a very difficult state of mind to achieve and needs a lot of practice through meditation. It is probably the best state of mind to have for the most part if you can master it.

dont make it sound harder to achieve than it really is

just look at the word 'conscious awareness'

means being alert/awake/aware and knowing whats around you

the science is in the DEGREES of conscious awarness

some are naturally better than others without much practice, because they are not influenced by the hateful world, and are more intune and more aware
A

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 06:31:18 AM »
guys, i don't want to be a jerk here, but this is garbage.  it's just flat-out garbage.  at 10 i'll be teaching a class on philosophy of mind at a major university, and i can assure you nothing like this will ever be touched.  moreover, no one in the field touches this nonsense.  the idea that the "substance" of the universe is consciousness has no grounding whatsoever.  it doesn't even make sense.  it's a meaningless statement.  it lines up in no way with any elements of consciousness, whether that be propositional attitudes, intentional states, or "what it is like to be something."  these guys don't even know what consciousness is!  and the fact that our concept of matter has altered dramatically in the wake of quantum mechanics in no way suggests that "the world is consciousness."  not only is that a false dichotomy, as if there are only two possible options and we have shown one must be discarded leaving only the other, but it is just flat out absurd.
look, go grab any peer-reviewed journal on philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, philosophy of neuroscience, or philosophy of physics, and i promise you will find NO ONE talking about any of this nonsense.  the only people churning out this crap are generally second-rate scientists with no background in philosophy who have radically misunderstood what the implications and consequences of their physics are.
"nitimur in vetitum"

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 06:34:08 AM »
guys, i don't want to be a jerk here, but this is garbage.  it's just flat-out garbage.  at 10 i'll be teaching a class on philosophy of mind at a major university, and i can assure you nothing like this will ever be touched.  moreover, no one in the field touches this nonsense.  the idea that the "substance" of the universe is consciousness has no grounding whatsoever.  it doesn't even make sense.  it's a meaningless statement.  it lines up in no way with any elements of consciousness, whether that be propositional attitudes, intentional states, or "what it is like to be something."  these guys don't even know what consciousness is!  and the fact that our concept of matter has altered dramatically in the wake of quantum mechanics in no way suggests that "the world is consciousness."  not only is that a false dichotomy, as if there are only two possible options and we have shown one must be discarded leaving only the other, but it is just flat out absurd.
look, go grab any peer-reviewed journal on philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, philosophy of neuroscience, or philosophy of physics, and i promise you will find NO ONE talking about any of this nonsense.  the only people churning out this crap are generally second-rate scientists with no background in philosophy who have radically misunderstood what the implications and consequences of their physics are.

you wont recover
A

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 06:35:18 AM »

Ayn Rand, where are you when we need you?
X

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »
you wont recover
from what won't i recover?  i'm certainly not angry at anyone for getting this stuff so wrong.  but it does turn out that the way this stuff is being discussed is complete nonsense.  again, this isn't just some opinion i'm giving you that no one else shares.  go look for yourself.  there are lots of peer-reviewed journal that, if this stuff was legitimate, would be discussing it in great detail.  but the articles just aren't there. 
go look.
"nitimur in vetitum"

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 08:09:05 AM »

Jesus, Buddha, Deepak Chopra, Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Watts, Timothy Leary, Terrence Mckenna, David Icke, Davild Wilcock, Albert Einstein, Edgar Casey, Grant Morrison, Bill Hicks, Fred Alan Wolf, John Hagelin, Carl Jung, Alex Grey, all agree with this idea to some extent. They are all second rate ???

Quantum mechanics,consciousness, and the atom (atom= 3:)

Sound creates structure of matter

Order in Chaos (science studies order, leaving the mysterious chaos of the universe "unfounded")

~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »
I'm a philosophy student right now.  I'm looking to continue in grad school next May.  I think you would really like philosophy.  And probably would be very good at it.  You already have that questioning mind.  Though, I'm not so sure you will find much of this stuff in any western philosophy classroom.  Though philosophy of the mind is a highly studied area of philosophy, it remains very academic.  Jr's post sums up much of my general beliefs on the subject, but yours is still mad interesting.

P.S.  For 19 you got a great physique. 

Thanks! I'm in philosophy too. heheh We're not learning about this stuff, nor do I even discuss it. We're learning about Socrates. I think a good philosophy class should stimulate some real existential wonders, but Socrates doesn't really do that for us...
~

Jussup

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »
Jesus, Buddha, Deepak Chopra, Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Watts, Timothy Leary, Terrence Mckenna, David Icke, Davild Wilcock, Albert Einstein, Edgar Casey, Grant Morrison, Bill Hicks, Fred Alan Wolf, John Hagelin, Carl Jung, Alex Grey, all agree with this idea to some extent. They are all second rate

you forgot Max Planck  ;D

Also Dean Radin published some interesting experimental findings that could support the idea of a "conscious universe".
And as a bodybuilding authority Tom Platz certainly approves it!

Great post, Figgs.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
I gotta say, I've never heard of those folks. I'll pull up a search though! Thanks!

Isn't Tom Platz a buddhist??
~

Jussup

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
I don't know for sure, if Tom is a buddhist. I had the impression he was much more of a patchwork guy  just like us. He is much into mantras, new thought movement etc.

Just curious: Do you juice? If so, have you ever done DMT during a cycle?
I have some experience with psychedelics, but that excludes test. And the combination of both makes me wonder  ;D 

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
In that Joe Rogan video he said that people that have bad trips are bad people...Ive had a few bad trips and on my last bad trip i essentially never came back....I personally think that during a bad trip i was exposed to too much stimuli all at once and i could not process it....One thing i did experience that the video made a point of is my patheticness exposed...I cannot remember specific examples but i saw my reflection in the trip and it was utterly pathetic....I do not know why i saw myself that way....

I no longer need lsd to feel this way since i have a powerful mental illness called schizoaffective disorder that causes delusions and paranoia....I still have not answered the reasons for my own patheticness but i dont think im a bad person, and i wish good things for people....I do thiink i have huge bouts of guilt that alters my perception of myself....The guilt may be so powerful that it affects my trips....Why do i have this guilt? good question, i do not know....

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 10:18:06 AM »
Jesus, Buddha, Deepak Chopra, Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Watts, Timothy Leary, Terrence Mckenna, David Icke, Davild Wilcock, Albert Einstein, Edgar Casey, Grant Morrison, Bill Hicks, Fred Alan Wolf, John Hagelin, Carl Jung, Alex Grey, all agree with this idea to some extent. They are all second rate ???

i don't see the need to go through each individual here, but not one of them would be considered any sort of authority in contemporary philosophy of mind.  i doubt many of them would agree to a common definition of "consciousness," and, moreover, none of those definitions would be of much relevance in current theories of consciousness.
seriously, looking at your posts, i don't even know what you consider the ontological status of the mind to be.  are you some sort of dualist?  if so, is it substance, property, or predicate?  are you a monist?  if so, are you an idealist or materialist?  are you a reductive materialist, a functionalist, an autonomous monist, a biological naturalist, an eliminative materialist?  do you take neurophysiology into account?  if so, do you think there are neurocorrelates of consciousness?  if not, what is the relationship between the mind and the brain?  what aspects of consciousness affect the world in the way you suggest?  the intentionality?  certainly not the propositional attitudes nor the various qualia are widely considered to, in fact, be the hallmark of consciousness.
how does this stuff work?  from whence this consciousness?  how does it organize the stuff that is the universe into some sort of complexity?  why is such a thing necessary for complexity?  if it is because complexity needs such a thing, if it takes a really smart thing to create a dumb thing, what is responsible for the original really smart thing?  how did something as complex as consciousness come into being to organize everything else without something else to organize it?  and what was responsible for that if you always need something more complex for organization?  if you don't need anything more complex, why would we think there is something like whatever kind of consciousness you're supposing is there for the complexity we see?

you can't just spout off gibberish and think you've actually said anything.  i can come back and just say "nuh-uh!"  you need to have some grounding, so larger argument for you position.  what is that?
"nitimur in vetitum"

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
Uh, no they don't. Half those people are dead. How can they agree? And I'll bet, they never even met. Be very careful with your words, Figgs. You're trying to make connections where there aren't any. You can suggest that some of the ideas that they came up with/used contain similarities, but don't you dare speak for someone else. In the real world you'll get thumped for it, and if you ever write a term paper noting such a thing, you'll get docked you for it.  :)

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:22 AM »
THANKS FIGGS!!

I watched this video and it blew me away....i have been trying to change my mindset lately believing that my
energy can change every outcome in my life.....i have been through extreme stress lately and i have let it drag
me down but one day i woke up thinking that i have total control of what happens to me and i need to visualize
and believe in what i want to happen instead of imagining things getting worse

this vid came at a perfect time....i will save this and watch many times to come

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 10:40:40 AM »
scientist draw conclusions of reality through observations...Who is to say they are able to observe everything there is to come to a logical conclusion? To make a logical conclusive answer you need all the information...Do the greatest scientists in the world posess such information from the observations they make?

An educated man with a title behind his name is programmed to percieve information in a certain light...He is a professional observer in the respect that he was trained to observe by others with titles behind their name...

It would be a mistake to only respect and accept only opinions of academics of only certain disciplines...

Example is philosophy, some here say these theories are not taught in academic field....So since it is not regarded as an official study in your major then you discount it? Are you an original thinker? the philosphers you study were original thinkers were they not? If it were not for new ideas put forward there would be nothing to learn...

What i do respect about many academics, like those in that video is they use their education as a tool to open their eyes to new things and possibilities...They do not use their education as a crutch but as a starting point....For a formal education is a starting point that gets you started on the path of original ideas and thought....We stand on the shoulders of those before us, and that is how evolution works....We evolve....

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »
Uh, no they don't. Half those people are dead. How can they agree? And I'll bet, they never even met. Be very careful with your words, Figgs. You're trying to make connections where there aren't any. You can suggest that some of the ideas that they came up with/used contain similarities, but don't you dare speak for someone else. In the real world you'll get thumped for it, and if you ever write a term paper noting such a thing, you'll get docked you for it.  :)
of course you're right.  that's what i meant when i said they wouldn't even agree on a common definition of what consciousness is.  jesus christ didn't talk about consciousness, the buddha's notion of "consciousness" would never agree with whatever we might try to establish in terms of what christ thought, and that has nothing to do with leary's concept which has nothing to do with einstein's concept which has nothing to do with jung's concept.  moreover, of the one who could be said to do philosophy of mind, it would bear little relation to what is being done now in light of what has happened since behaviorism in the early 20th century.
more than that, none of of those guys are in the videos presented.  those are views of second-rate physicists with little to no background in philosophy, and that is to whom i was referring.
"nitimur in vetitum"

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
scientist draw conclusions of reality through observations...Who is to say they are able to observe everything there is to come to a logical conclusion? To make a logical conclusive answer you need all the information...Do the greatest scientists in the world posess such information from the observations they make?

An educated man with a title behind his name is programmed to percieve information in a certain light...He is a professional observer in the respect that he was trained to observe by others with titles behind their name...

It would be a mistake to only respect and accept only opinions of academics of only certain disciplines...

Example is philosophy, some here say these theories are not taught in academic field....So since it is not regarded as an official study in your major then you discount it? Are you an original thinker? the philosphers you study were original thinkers were they not? If it were not for new ideas put forward there would be nothing to learn...

What i do respect about many academics, like those in that video is they use their education as a tool to open their eyes to new things and possibilities...They do not use their education as a crutch but as a starting point....For a formal education is a starting point that gets you started on the path of original ideas and thought....We stand on the shoulders of those before us, and that is how evolution works....We evolve....
first, we certainly don't need all information to come to a "logical" answer (i use the quotes since i doubt you actually mean logical in any technical sense).  we can never have all information, but that does not mean that all ideas are equal.  some arguments are better than others and some have more evidence than others.  simply because there is some lack of evidence does not mean all possibilities have equal weight.  for example, we don't have full information about the origins of the universe, but that doesn't mean that it is as reasonable to believe that a turtle vomited it out as it is to believe that it started with a big bang.  of course, it is possible that there was no big bang, but that doesn't legitimize the argument for the turtle vomit.
second, the point about the ideas about consciousness presented in this thread was not to say that professionals studying mind now have it all figured out.  far from it.  the point was that this stuff was being presented as if it was accepted by the scientific community, as if it was authoritative.  it's not.  not only is it the case that most physicists don't buy that stuff, but even if they did, they would not be the authority any more than plumbers would be the authority on physiology.  just because you are knowledgeable in one field does not mean that you are an authority in another.  the point here is that these videos and name-dropping are done to give the ideas presented credibility, and the fact that they are the opinions of those untrained in the field draws that credibility into question.
last, of course, we're trying to move past our current understanding of things into a deeper and more sophisticated understanding.  the point here is that these guys don't even have the tools to get started.  they don't even use the terminology in any established manner.  the trouble there is that it sounds like they're saying something deep when they're not.  it's like me saying "energy creates matter, and my mind is energy, so my mind creates matter."  i've equivocated on 'energy' there; i used the term in two radically different ways.  because these guys are untrained in the area they don't engage in any deep conceptual analysis of the concepts in question and, hence, don't even recognize when such equivocations occur.   and they are prone to tons of similar errors. 
they never even get off the ground.
"nitimur in vetitum"

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »

Please forgive me for being so blunt. It seems as if all their ideas can be used to build up on the whole idea. I can collect a bunch of quotes for you to prove that they're in synch, but I already have all these damn posts to respond to. hahah

i don't see the need to go through each individual here, but not one of them would be considered any sort of authority in contemporary philosophy of mind.  i doubt many of them would agree to a common definition of "consciousness," and, moreover, none of those definitions would be of much relevance in current theories of consciousness.
seriously, looking at your posts, i don't even know what you consider the ontological status of the mind to be.  are you some sort of dualist?  if so, is it substance, property, or predicate?  are you a monist?  if so, are you an idealist or materialist?  are you a reductive materialist, a functionalist, an autonomous monist, a biological naturalist, an eliminative materialist?  do you take neurophysiology into account?  if so, do you think there are neurocorrelates of consciousness?  if not, what is the relationship between the mind and the brain?  what aspects of consciousness affect the world in the way you suggest?  the intentionality?  certainly not the propositional attitudes nor the various qualia are widely considered to, in fact, be the hallmark of consciousness.
how does this stuff work?  from whence this consciousness?  how does it organize the stuff that is the universe into some sort of complexity?  why is such a thing necessary for complexity?  if it is because complexity needs such a thing, if it takes a really smart thing to create a dumb thing, what is responsible for the original really smart thing?  how did something as complex as consciousness come into being to organize everything else without something else to organize it?  and what was responsible for that if you always need something more complex for organization?  if you don't need anything more complex, why would we think there is something like whatever kind of consciousness you're supposing is there for the complexity we see?

you can't just spout off gibberish and think you've actually said anything.  i can come back and just say "nuh-uh!"  you need to have some grounding, so larger argument for you position.  what is that?

You seem to be comfortable with separating and categorizing and defining things down to cold hard facts before you accept things as they are.

This video brilliantly and briefly explains our opposing personality types.

I'll try to level with you anyhow. I might be wrong for all I know. You ask some good questions.

from whence this consciousness?  how does it organize the stuff that is the universe into some sort of complexity?  why is such a thing necessary for complexity?
---
I say there is no beginning nor will there be an end to the universe. Time is an illusion. It's something people use to measure and time stuff. Infinity in the course of eternal now seems to be the simplest and most plausible concept of any sort of 'time'. Worlds and suns come and go just like the seasons. There is no precise beginning to them just as there's no precise starting point on a circle. Sometimes the world is there and sometimes it isn't, just as sometimes you are inhaling and exhaling, waking and dreaming, living and dying. You can't hold your breath forever, you will suffocate. And the world can't live forever it gets awfully tired of itself, self-immolates and starts anew. The law of conservation: energy can never be created or destroyed, but manifests in infinite forms and possibilities.

Why? How? Well now we're diving right into the rabbit hole. Just like there's no precise purpose for life in general, there seems to be no precise purpose for there being an infinite pool of swirling galaxies. Some things are better left to the mysterious.

I can't present to you solid proof for such ideas, just in the same way I can't prove to you exactly what images I project in my mind at any given moment. These aren't my ideas nor are they the ideas of those I mentioned before. These are perhaps the most ancient philosophical ideas we have.

THANKS FIGGS!!

I watched this video and it blew me away....i have been trying to change my mindset lately believing that my
energy can change every outcome in my life.....i have been through extreme stress lately and i have let it drag
me down but one day i woke up thinking that i have total control of what happens to me and i need to visualize
and believe in what i want to happen instead of imagining things getting worse

this vid came at a perfect time....i will save this and watch many times to come

And you will benefit greatly because of your new change in attitude! I'm glad to I could help you help yourself.  :)

In that Joe Rogan video he said that people that have bad trips are bad people...Ive had a few bad trips and on my last bad trip i essentially never came back....I personally think that during a bad trip i was exposed to too much stimuli all at once and i could not process it....One thing i did experience that the video made a point of is my patheticness exposed...I cannot remember specific examples but i saw my reflection in the trip and it was utterly pathetic....I do not know why i saw myself that way....

I no longer need lsd to feel this way since i have a powerful mental illness called schizoaffective disorder that causes delusions and paranoia....I still have not answered the reasons for my own patheticness but i dont think im a bad person, and i wish good things for people....I do thiink i have huge bouts of guilt that alters my perception of myself....The guilt may be so powerful that it affects my trips....Why do i have this guilt? good question, i do not know....

Things like guilt is what smacks you in the face when you're trippin. It's not that you have to be a criminal or anything.

Hey, in indigenous civilizations, schizophrenics are highly respected and revered members of society. They typically take on the role of the tribal Shaman.

Here Terrence Mckenna talking about the topic.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5474883893985109987&q=shaman+mckenna&total=112&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

~

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 12:11:24 PM »
first, we certainly don't need all information to come to a "logical" answer (i use the quotes since i doubt you actually mean logical in any technical sense).  we can never have all information, but that does not mean that all ideas are equal.  some arguments are better than others and some have more evidence than others.  simply because there is some lack of evidence does not mean all possibilities have equal weight.  for example, we don't have full information about the origins of the universe, but that doesn't mean that it is as reasonable to believe that a turtle vomited it out as it is to believe that it started with a big bang.  of course, it is possible that there was no big bang, but that doesn't legitimize the argument for the turtle vomit.
second, the point about the ideas about consciousness presented in this thread was not to say that professionals studying mind now have it all figured out.  far from it.  the point was that this stuff was being presented as if it was accepted by the scientific community, as if it was authoritative.  it's not.  not only is it the case that most physicists don't buy that stuff, but even if they did, they would not be the authority any more than plumbers would be the authority on physiology.  just because you are knowledgeable in one field does not mean that you are an authority in another.  the point here is that these videos and name-dropping are done to give the ideas presented credibility, and the fact that they are the opinions of those untrained in the field draws that credibility into question.
last, of course, we're trying to move past our current understanding of things into a deeper and more sophisticated understanding.  the point here is that these guys don't even have the tools to get started.  they don't even use the terminology in any established manner.  the trouble there is that it sounds like they're saying something deep when they're not.  it's like me saying "energy creates matter, and my mind is energy, so my mind creates matter."  i've equivocated on 'energy' there; i used the term in two radically different ways.  because these guys are untrained in the area they don't engage in any deep conceptual analysis of the concepts in question and, hence, don't even recognize when such equivocations occur.   and they are prone to tons of similar errors. 
they never even get off the ground.

I am in agreement with your points....By the way, what are the qualifications of the ones in that video? FIGGS? Do you know?

Another question, how do different facets of science make it into being accepted material for universities? Is it at the leisure of the professor to a certain extent? What qualifications does a fact of science have to pass in order to be suitable for a classroom?

M theory is one of the newest discussed ideas in science...Is it even studied in universities at the student level? If what is studied as to be completely accepted by mainstream academics, does it limit students?

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
I am in agreement with your points....By the way, what are the qualifications of the ones in that video? FIGGS? Do you know?

Another question, how do different facets of science make it into being accepted material for universities? Is it at the leisure of the professor to a certain extent? What qualifications does a fact of science have to pass in order to be suitable for a classroom?

M theory is one of the newest discussed ideas in science...Is it even studied in universities at the student level? If what is studied as to be completely accepted by mainstream academics, does it limit students?

I believe that we're all sort of conduits to infinite consciousness with infinite creative capabilities. Such a thing, just as consciousness itself, can not be measured in a laboratory and defined to the satisfaction of scientists. With that said, I think anyone should be able to have a good idea to contribute to the improvement of society and nature. However, scientists won't allow such an idea to trample all over their precious, prize-awarded, degree-decorated egos. What nonsense to claim that someone might have a genuinely good idea, perhaps even better than one who dedicated his entire life to proving that he's the best in what he does!

I think the system sucks. I detest the idea of needing a philosophy degree to be able to share ideas and discuss philosophy. I get a damn good education in the library and on the internet. But, like I said, I do happen to be taking philosophy right now. I would also add that I learn more at home in one day than I do in an  entire month of philosophy class. Maybe my college just sucks...

I don't know the education or credentials of those I mentioned earlier but I don't doubt they'd be impressive. That's something a wiki search could answer better than I.
~

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 01:35:28 PM »
I believe that we're all sort of conduits to infinite consciousness with infinite creative capabilities. Such a thing, just as consciousness itself, can not be measured in a laboratory and defined to the satisfaction of scientists. With that said, I think anyone should be able to have a good idea to contribute to the improvement of society and nature. However, scientists won't allow such an idea to trample all over their precious, prize-awarded, degree-decorated egos. What nonsense to claim that someone might have a genuinely good idea, perhaps even better than one who dedicated his entire life to proving that he's the best in what he does!

I think the system sucks. I detest the idea of needing a philosophy degree to be able to share ideas and discuss philosophy. I get a damn good education in the library and on the internet. But, like I said, I do happen to be taking philosophy right now. I would also add that I learn more at home in one day than I do in an  entire month of philosophy class. Maybe my college just sucks...

I don't know the education or credentials of those I mentioned earlier but I don't doubt they'd be impressive. That's something a wiki search could answer better than I.

scientists are ego driven poor souls they are
A

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
figgs and bebop:
both you guys are hung up on this idea that the authority of those who put the time in studying this stuff is illegitimate, and anyone should be able to contribute whatever they want with equal authority.  but that's just asinine.  if some kid in his trig class in high school decided to tell a real mathematician "move over and let ME show you how to really solve this differential equation!" i'm hoping you would agree that's absurd.  it's the same as if some 150 pound guy bouncing the bar off his chest on bench and keeping his arms bent and using his back to curl came up to a 250 pound bodybuilder and said "i'll show you how this shit is done!"  or if a guy with a textbook on human physiology decided that his opinion was better than an m.d.'s.  i'm assuming you guys are with me in thinking that those people simply would not be qualified to address the issues no matter what they thought of themselves.  moreover, it's no surprise that they might think such things considering they don't even know enough to understand what they don't understand!  it simply takes a certain amount of study to even get the concepts being discussed.
well, why would anyone think that the most difficult questions of all time, namely "what is the nature of the world," would be any different?  why would that kind of question, seemingly much more difficult, be thought to be the kind of thing that anyone could answer?  it isn't.  in the same way that you have to study any subject to some degree just to get to the point where you understand just how much you don't understand you have to study a lot of philosophy to understand the ideas being discussed in philosophy.  you can't just walk in off the street and start throwing around terms because you won't even know what those terms mean.  you simply haven't put in the time to get what the questions even are.

let me ground this for you guys in some real examples.  in figgs' post where he listed a bunch of people whose ideas he said dovetailed with his, he named some guys who thought that psychedelics would "open up your mind" or "expand your consciousness."  well, what does that even mean, and why would anyone think such a thing?  how would it work?  if your mind is just your brain, then it's no surprise that changing the chemical makeup of your brain would change your perception of things.  but then there is no reason to think that you're getting to anything good or "expanding" anything.  that's because, if we're just talking about your brain and nothing beyond it, it looks like your brain is the kind of thing that evolved for a specific purpose, that likely being cashed out as something like allowing us to navigate the world successfully.  but then we wouldn't think we were getting something better when we radically changed the makeup of our brain.  we would be much more likely to think we were screwing it up.  it's just like you can make a car work differently by dumping metal shards in the oil.  certainly the behavior of the car would change, but we have no reason to think that's "better" or "expanded."  in the same way, if our mind is just our brain, and our brain is the result of evolutionary pressures whereby those individuals who navigated the world more successfully were the ones who stuck around to produce fertile offspring, then we probably don't want to screw that up by altering it dramatically as it seems very fine-tuned to its job, and we are clearly making it work differently by taking psychedelic drugs.
however, you might think that your mind is more than just the crap in your head, that it's more than your mere brain.  but then you have to ask yourself how it is that altering your brain alters your mind.  what is it that is being changed if not your brain?  and if the non-physical part of the mind is affected by the psychedelic drugs, how is that working?  do the drugs have magical powers?  what is the causal relationship between the magic powers of the chemical substance and the effects they produce?  more, why would we think that the "trip" one takes is any better, is "expanded" in some positive sense? 
it doesn't look like the guys talking about psychedelics really address those kinds of issues, and those are the most basic in terms of studying mind.  i mean, that's the absolute bottom level.  you can't go anywhere before you get a handle on those kinds of issues, and they don't even address them.  they just say a bunch of words that make up sentences that, while syntactically correct, are meaningless.  what the hell is the energy of your mind or consciousness?  i mean, i know what energy is in physics, but that's not what is being discussed, because energy doesn't have will, direction, or purpose.  energy is just a scalar physical quantity.  but that's not the kind of thing people mean when they talk about the mind's "energy."  there it takes on some spooky properties.  but then there's this constant equivocation in the meanings where people attempt to take "energy" in the spooky sense and use the theoretical language of physics to get out stuff that is empty of any genuine content.  you can't use the law of conservation of energy to talk about spooky stuff.  you're equivocating on the meaning of "energy," and when you do that you aren't say anything at all.
"nitimur in vetitum"

zarathustra

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »
scientists are ego driven poor souls they are
why would you think that?  a lot of scientists really like being wrong (being wrong lets you know one more way things aren't, and that's a big step in getting how things are) and have no desire for fame.  seriously, how many famous scientists are there?  if they were really so hung up on ego wouldn't they choose a profession that would garner them more notice? 
what would make you even think such a thing?  what evidence is there for your position?
"nitimur in vetitum"