Author Topic: Is bodybuilding more hobby or serious task for you?  (Read 3976 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Is bodybuilding more hobby or serious task for you?
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
It used to be pretty intense and serious for me. I have not compted in years now and enjoy siting back in the crowd watching the best do it up at pro shows.

I don't know if any can relate but I get a lot more psyched now to plan a trip to St Thomas USVI or go on a cruise than I do for a bodybuilding meet now.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Is bodybuilding more hobby or serious task for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »
Im the complete opposite of you right now. Im young, and am looking at competing in the near future. I get more serious and more passionate about bodybuilding everyday. Nothing i look foward to more than going to the gym for another workout. Regardless of whether i make it in bodybuilding or not, i feel it will be something i always will do.
No doubt about it...

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »
As for the actual pursuit of bodybuilding, ya gotta do it for the love of it.  Do it because you want the wonderful feeling it can give.

I lived on St. Thomas for several months, BTW.
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:49 PM »
I quit being so serious about competing when I really figured out how much juice it takes to make it to be anything.

Knowing this guy took last here was just ridiculous too. Risking health to get bigger is stupid.

Hobby!

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:58:02 PM »
Top of the hobby list!!
I am a mini beast

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »
Top of the hobby list for me too.

I made it even more fun by discontinuing my waste of money on any kind of supplements except for some vitamins. No whey protein at all anymore. Only whole foods, feels much better from it too. You learn as you go along.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 03:20:35 AM »
Just a hobby for me too. Ten years ago I would have had a different answer but that was also back in the day when I didn't have as much money and I couldn't afford to take gear even if I wanted to. Pushing myself to go for the professional look was simply out of my reach - guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »
all of us should not take it too serious, lifes too short and too valueful to be obsessed with muscles and this retarted "sport".

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:09:55 AM »
i havnt took it seriously since 2006... i think u get to a point where u realise that you havnt got the genes to make it big and win major titles/turn pro so u just go back to enjoying training...

I feel sorry for the deluded girls with half the genetics and size of me that bang on year in year out still gettn shitty places , who think theyl get there in the end.

In my experience you get your size and shape in the 1st few years of training, if you havnt got it by then u never will....

so if you look like a mini Shawn Ray or Dorian Yates by all means live the life, if you dont......chill out!!!

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 06:17:07 AM »
5 years of intense gear use, then i met Ronnie Coleman and becoming a BB was not pratical stayed on the juice 5 more years at greatly reduced rate and maintained a decent physique.Then 3-4 years ago gave up gear and it became a hobby now im just a weight trainer.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »
how you lookin these days then clean for 3 yrs?

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:28:26 AM »
So do you guys say 'I'm a bodybuilder' ? or do you say 'I workout'..'I lift weights'
O

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »
I get a lot more psyched now to plan a trip to St Thomas USVI or go on a cruise than I do for a bodybuilding meet now.

That means you're normal.  ;D

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 06:33:47 AM »
how you lookin these days then clean for 3 yrs?
265 pounds 6ft Perma bulker,Weak as shit.Need to lose 40 pounds to look satisfactory.Unless you are going to step on stage drugs are a waste.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 06:36:16 AM »
So do you guys say 'I'm a bodybuilder' ? or do you say 'I workout'..'I lift weights'

its best to say you are lifting weights to avoid these stupid questions.
people have no respect for bodybuilders in general because of the prejudices. they come up with things like, if i take steroids i can be like you too.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 06:38:59 AM »
Once I took it extremely serious and got... nowhere.
I have readjusted my goals and now it's good.
Some muscle + shade of abs = I'm happy.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 06:40:04 AM »
its best to say you are lifting weights to avoid these stupid questions.
people have no respect for bodybuilders in general because of the prejudices. they come up with things like, if i take steroids i can be like you too.

True. It doesn't always help that pros (who the untrained seem to think are the only bodybuilders) are usually dumb and roided up. Mainly they are objects of ridicule.. Sounds better anyway to say 'I lift weights'..
O

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 06:57:45 AM »
nah,,,im still a bodybuilder,,,,,,i always ascoiate weight lifting with people who train in health clubs.. as long as i keep around 18 stone ish im still a bodybuilder..

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 07:04:58 AM »
nah,,,im still a bodybuilder,,,,,,i always ascoiate weight lifting with people who train in health clubs.. as long as i keep around 18 stone ish im still a bodybuilder..

Yes, weight lifter makes it sound like you have no goal.  maybe weight trainer?  I see lots of people who "lift weights" and its hard to tell they do.  Ohh and lots of people who say Im a BB and its hard to tell THEY do also.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 07:09:22 AM »
Yes, weight lifter makes it sound like you have no goal.  maybe weight trainer?  I see lots of people who "lift weights" and its hard to tell they do.  Ohh and lots of people who say Im a BB and its hard to tell THEY do also.

yeah but those who "lift weights" and its hard to tell they do are just not lifting the weight properly or they arent using enough weight.

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 07:10:34 AM »
i used to think one day i wanted to go pro...then i started working out with a more experienced bodybuilder and realized all the drugs he took just to place 13th or so at the USA's...now i just lift cause i like to look better than most...i still plan on competing but have no desire to use all the drugs it takes to get to the pro level, small amt of drugs will also keep me employed

tymac63

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »
  i have been going to the gym off and on since high school.  i'll go for a few months pretty hard.  then get back in the party seen.  but now i think i am wanting to take things little more serious.  now going out 3-5 nites a week blowing money on drinks and getting to be a lard ass w/out nothing to show for my life.  going 5 days a week, feeling better bout myself.  but just a hobby, right now.  hell i probably don't have the genes for comp anyway.  alot of work.

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 07:36:21 AM »
  i have been going to the gym off and on since high school.  i'll go for a few months pretty hard.  then get back in the party seen.  but now i think i am wanting to take things little more serious.  now going out 3-5 nites a week blowing money on drinks and getting to be a lard ass w/out nothing to show for my life.  going 5 days a week, feeling better bout myself.  but just a hobby, right now.  hell i probably don't have the genes for comp anyway.  alot of work.

Work on your career 1st and bodybuilding 2nd.  As unbelievable as it may seem right now, once you hit your 30's you'll begin seeing women being drawn more to status and power than muscle mass.  But, if you've done even a half decent job  you will be able to afford your gear, have a new car, and have a good place to live.  The more focus you making money the easier your life will be.  Just never lose the drive and consistency for weight training.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 07:49:36 AM »
Work on your career 1st and bodybuilding 2nd.  As unbelievable as it may seem right now, once you hit your 30's you'll begin seeing women being drawn more to status and power than muscle mass.  But, if you've done even a half decent job  you will be able to afford your gear, have a new car, and have a good place to live.  The more focus you making money the easier your life will be.  Just never lose the drive and consistency for weight training.
Good reply, pretty much my mind set. I think that for me it is a simple case of priorities.
At 49 I am a lot more concerned about my house mortgage rate, credit score and vacations.
I did a bunch of show from 1978-1995 and have some good memories that I cherish.

The ironic thing is that I ENJOY bodybuilding more NOW than in the years I wanted to  "go pro ".
For example, I am going to the Arnold next weekend. It is a lot more fun when you afford the air fare and a decent seat at the show, then going there on a shoestring budget :-[

See ya at the show, Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 08:00:19 AM »
I think it's safe to say it's a hobby for everyone here.  If it were a "serious task" you would not be spending your spare time on getbig as there are other online venues for people who take bodybuilding seriously.