Author Topic: Serge Nubret's high volume training method  (Read 37999 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
Serge Nubret's high volume training method
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »
I read in the recent Reps! magazine that Serge Nubret did many sets for each exercise with relatively light weights.  (Below is an example of his chest routine.)  I decided to try it this weekend, doing about 10 sets of one arm dumbbell rows for 12-15 reps with a weight of 45 lbs (the largest dumbbell I have in my home gym.)  I was surprised at the great pump and am thinking of doing this type of workout during my next 12 week training cycle.

Considering how good Nubret looked, wonder if anyone is using this type of training method successfully now, either personally or otherwise?

Incline Barbell Presses Sets 10-12 Reps 12-15
   Flat-Bench barbell presses Sets 15-20 Reps 12-15
   Decline dumbell flys Sets 10-12 Reps 12-15

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Serge Nubret's high volume training method
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »
serge genetic wise is a one of a kind so i doubt anyone but him would have great success with his methods

Z

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
serge genetic wise is a one of a kind so i doubt anyone but him would have great success with his methods

Seems that it should work for at least some others, though maybe few.  Guess I'll find out if I am one of them.

BTW, the article I read claimed that Serge didn't take steroids, though did do lots of stuff to encourage a natural anabolic state like eating prodigious amounts of meat, including horse meat.  As you say, Serge is a genetic one-of-a-kind, but anyone think he achieved his build without at least some steroids?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »
there's a huge thread about serge (and with serge) on teh gossip board you should try to search for it... he replies himself in it many times
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »
here's the thread

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=109977.0

it's only 64 pages  ;D
Z

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »
here's the thread

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=109977.0

it's only 64 pages  ;D

I've read part of that thread before.  Just did a getbig board's search for Serge and steroids and only find my posting here, so assume that either, 1) the thread never touches on the subject of Serge and steroids or 2) the getbig search interface sucks. 

Interestingly, someone else read Reps! magazine and posted this thread on Getbig (found using a Google search of site:www.getbig.com):

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=194825.0

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »

Actually, I just read an Ironman Magazine E-Zine e-mail that states:

"Researchers took about 100 randomly selected subjects and trained them using various set-and-rep protocols. Those with a so-called ACE-2 variant, or endurance gene (skinny folks), responded best to training using 12 to 15 reps, or extended tension times. When those subjects used heavier weight that limited their reps to around eight, they showed close to zero gains. (Hardgainers, read that again—doing all of your sets in a lower rep range won’t work for you!)"

Perhaps Serge is actually a hardgainer that needed more high reps.  I am also a hardgainer, ectomorph and am going to give the high rep, high number of sets method a try.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »
It's hard to know whether it's more effective or just great genetics. What you have to do with this program as with any other is give it a few months and then assess how it's working for you. Also don't be afraid to sometimes modify to personal preference, for example moderate reps instead of high reps.

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:18:18 AM »
I'm a natural guy lifting for quite a while-usual pyramid of heavy sets-i started Serges routine around 6 months ago-I put on quite some size and some shape-it also is easier on the joints-i'm 35- I throw a heavy set in too-I just cant do the hour of ab work he says to do -haha-and I only do bodyparts once a week compared to the 6 days a week he says to do-I would overtrain-and unfortunately I have to do cardio-unlike his routine-but it does build muscle

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »
I'm a natural guy lifting for quite a while-usual pyramid of heavy sets-i started Serges routine around 6 months ago-I put on quite some size and some shape-it also is easier on the joints-i'm 35- I throw a heavy set in too-I just cant do the hour of ab work he says to do -haha-and I only do bodyparts once a week compared to the 6 days a week he says to do-I would overtrain-and unfortunately I have to do cardio-unlike his routine-but it does build muscle

Glad to hear it.  I am noticing a change too, after only 2-3 weeks and am pleased with the results so far.

For abs, I only do a total of 100 reps of Decline Reverse Crunches for how ever many sets it takes and it works well.  Only takes about 15-20 minutes and my full abs are usually sore for a week afterwards.  I can tell my abs are getting better, even if I still have a bit too much subcutaneous fat to easily see them.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Decline+Reverse+Crunch

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
Just finished the shoulder and traps then arm superset-what a pump-i do hoever just for my mind and strength purposes on most compound exercises-i do a set of 6-8 with added weight and do a drop set for the 6th and final set
i also do about 100 reps of abs before the workout-im gonna try the decline crunch
i was always pretty strong before trying this so I dont care about how much weight I can lift-and I other training-kettlebells and jiujitsu/mma

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 11:50:46 PM »
For a natural it seems like overtraining. But ay saying that, everyone responds differently to training. Give it a try for a while and see how it goes. Thats bodybuilding for you, trial and error.
No doubt about it...

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
Thats why I do bodyparts once a week with some other nonbodybuilding training-so 2x week would be tough-Serge says that soreness would go away that way-the 1x week method I always feel some soreness-I dont mind though

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
ive trained heavy duty style for the last 12 odd years,,, i truely beleive its the best way to gain size, but as a result ive had some terrible injuries some of which wont get much better,,, i think this kind of training might be the way ahead for me, anything that takes the burdon off the joints and takes away the temptation of using heavy weights will suit me down to the ground....

to the above who are training this way, how long are u in the gym each session training tis way?

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »

to the above who are training this way, how long are u in the gym each session training tis way?

Since I concentrate on only one or two exercises for a bodypart, I am usually in the gym for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.  Serge calls for only a minute rest between sets, so the multiple sets go fairly quickly.

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Serge routine-quads/chest  back/ hams  shoulders (i do traps  too) /arms supersets
he says to do 30-45 seconds rest- or for legs 1 minute-90 seconds rest
I get the routine done in about hour or hour and fifteen minutes not including some abs and cardio
the quad chest day takes a little longer
its tough but you get used to it-just gauge the weight at the beginning

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »
Since I concentrate on only one or two exercises for a bodypart, I am usually in the gym for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.  Serge calls for only a minute rest between sets, so the multiple sets go fairly quickly.

Should have been more specific...I only train one bodypart per training session, so my time in the gym is much less than someone doing supersets and multiple bodyparts.  My workout is:

• Chest
  • Back
  • Legs
  • Arms
  • Shoulders
  • Abs

I usually take one day off, though during busy times, I may miss a workout or two, so it take me three weeks to get in two complete cycles of workouts. 

Also, leg day and arm days can take longer, if I include specific quad/ham and forearm exercises, respectively.

To give you an example of what I do for back, today, I did 5 sets of dumbbell rows (with an added warmup set at the beginning) and then 5 sets of pulldowns (again with an added warmup set) for 12-15 reps per set, and was able to get done in 35 minutes.  I could, and probably should, do more exercises &/or sets, but I workout at lunchtime and need to get in-and-out of the gym and back to work.

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 07:10:23 PM »
I hear ya about time-i forgot to mention about 8 sets of calves each session (3x week)
around 25 sets per bodypart-chest back shoulders/ 12 supersets for arms / 15 sets quads

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »
im limited to which exersizes i can do now so i cant dedicate a full session to one or 2 parts,, so ive been doing :

day1   back,traps,chest,shoulders
day2   abbs & cardio
day3  calves, hams,quads, bi's and tri's
day4  abbs & cardio...............

then repeat with sunday off... small bodyparts for 2 exersizes, large for 3,, all for at least 6 sets

Been thinking of running the weights 2 days in a row so id be hitting everything twice a week, might wait till im chemicaly enhanced for that, not sure yet...

Its 100% against the grain of what ive been doing for the last decade tho, definatly got me excited about training again, got to a point last year where i thought i might have to chuck the towel in. Ive trained since i was 14, so ive been close to depression at the thought of it.