Author Topic: Draft talk  (Read 25399 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Draft talk
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 08:36:32 AM »
You're right. But I think Atlanta is the key. When and if the Falcons pass on Ryan, the Ravens will be making some phone calls to Mangina and cutting a deal.

True.the talk in NY is about McFadden.alot of mock drafts have the Chiefs on him also :-\

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
I just want a goddamn quarterback who's worth a flying f!@#!

Sick and tired of the QB position being the weak link on my team year after year.

If they don't get Ryan in this draft and he ends up being a pro bowler with someone else in a couple years, then the Ravens deserve to have the worst fortune and luck.

If they do select him and he ends being a bust, then at least they made an effort, you know? But I think Matt Ryan is the real deal. Watched him play in the big east for the last two years and he has the chance to be special in the pros.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »

Sick and tired of the QB position being the weak link on my team year after year.

If they don't get Ryan in this draft and he ends up being a pro bowler with someone else in a couple years, then the Ravens deserve to have the worst fortune and luck.

If they do select him and he ends being a bust, then at least they made an effort, you know? But I think Matt Ryan is the real deal. Watched him play in the big east for the last two years and he has the chance to be special in the pros.

Who would you like from the leftovers,Flacco,Henne,or Brohm?

body88

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »

Ryan is going to be a good pro. I have watched him since he came to BC. I wonder if the pats will take a shot at Colt Brennen in rounds six or seven.

body88

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
Little Birdie told me that the pats are going to try to trade down, and take Jared Mayo and Cason in the first round.

body88

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »
You're right. But I think Atlanta is the key. When and if the Falcons pass on Ryan, the Ravens will be making some phone calls to Mangina and cutting a deal.

I dont see it that way. The Ravens will make a deal with the team in front of the jets or the pats. The Jets will be a threat to take RYAN at number six if Mcfadden is of the board, and they dont take Gholston or Long. Clemens is not the answer for the Jets.

Honestly, I see the pats making the deal with Carolina or Chicago to trade down to number thirteen - fifteen ( take Jared Mayo) and use whatever pick they pick up from either team to trade back up in to the first round and take Cason out of zona. If I where you I would be more worried about the bears or the panthers trying to trade up to grab Ryan.

That said, Brohm and FLacco will both be good NFL qb's. If you dont take RYan I think you go Flacco.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
Little Birdie told me that the pats are going to try to trade down, and take Jared Mayo and Cason in the first round.

I'm hoping that someone wants the Giants last pick in the 1rst round and the Giants get 2 number 2's so they can get a safety and a LB. :)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
I dont see it that way. The Ravens will make a deal with the team in front of the jets or the pats. The Jets will be a threat to take RYAN at number six if Mcfadden is of the board, and they dont take Gholston or Long. Clemens is not the answer for the Jets.

Honestly, I see the pats making the deal with Carolina or Chicago to trade down to number thirteen - fifteen ( take Jared Mayo) and use whatever pick they pick up from either team to trade back up in to the first round and take Cason out of zona. If I where you I would be more worried about the bears or the panthers trying to trade up to grab Ryan.

That said, Brohm and FLacco will both be good NFL qb's. If you dont take RYan I think you go Flacco.

I was thinking more along the lines of Brohm. Pocket passer is where it's at in the pros.

body88

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of Brohm. Pocket passer is where it's at in the pros.

The ONLY issue I have with Brohm is durability, and with the ravens injury woes at qb, I think they go for the big show in Flacco.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »
Colt Brennan, huh?

You really think he has a shot at making the pros, do you?

Don't know if that kid will ever be ready for the big time. His bowl game against Georgia proved that once the competition level was significantly upgraded from the WAC to the SEC, his true colors showed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Colt Brennan, huh?

Don't know if that kid will ever be ready for the big time. His bowl game against Georgia proved that once the competition level was significantly upgraded from the WAC to the SEC, his true colors showed.

His bowl game against Georgia showed UH's oline could not block Georgia's front seven.  They only rushed four guys and sacked him about 8 times, knocked him down about another 8 times. 

What did his bowl game against ASU show? 

I'm hearing he might not go till the 6th or 7th round.  If that's true, he will be the SOD. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
His bowl game against Georgia showed UH's oline could not block Georgia's front seven.  They only rushed four guys and sacked him about 8 times, knocked him down about another 8 times. 

I'm hearing he might not go till the 6th or 7th round.  If that's true, he will be the SOD. 

Georgia was playing a 3-3-5 nickel and was STILL getting pressure.  UH tackles sure had terrible footwork and technique.  You'd thunk that Jones and his staff would have made an adjustment on the o line.  Slide the guards out to help the tackles, keep an upback to chip the nose tackle, but NOOOOO.  Seriously outcoached. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »
Keep the bullshit out of this thread. This thread is for football fans to talk about the draft.

Pats are picking at number seven. I love Rodgers Cromartie. He dominated at the senior bowl. I expect the pats tp try and trade down a bit, unless Jake long, or Chris long are still on the board.

The pats project to be 21 million under the cap. I guess free agency will decide how they draft.

man something seems unfair. the cowboys are 22mil under the cap and got pac man for nothing...

they have a good o like gread recievers solid running back . and on defense they have a top 5 secondary with a good mix of pass covering and run support... they can get a free agent LB (z. taylor) or they can make a trade for c. johnson and still be able to refiill in the draft.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »

But I think Matt Ryan is the real deal. Watched him play in the big east for the last two years and he has the chance to be special in the pros.

BC now plays in the ACC

E
E

body88

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »

His bowl games mean nothing, because his systems and recievers helped him so much. At the combine he had trouble with accuracy and struggled to make most all the NFL throws. That said, he does have talent and their might be something there. He is worth the shot either very late in the draft, or as a udfa.

I never bought the Brennen hype, and I called that he would go very late in the draft, but I would like to see the pats give him a shot in round six if he is stil around.

body88

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2008, 02:38:09 PM »
Colt Brennan, huh?

He is worth a shot very late imo. He struggled to make most NFL throws at the combine, but I think with some added size and some coaching he could mature into at least a solid back up. I am not so high on Casel anymore.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

His bowl games mean nothing, because his systems and recievers helped him so much. At the combine he had trouble with accuracy and struggled to make most all the NFL throws. That said, he does have talent and their might be something there. He is worth the shot either very late in the draft, or as a udfa.

I never bought the Brennen hype, and I called that he would go very late in the draft, but I would like to see the pats give him a shot in round six if he is stil around.

If there is one thing Colt doesn't have trouble with, it's accuracy.  He's the most accurate QB in NCAA history.  And I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but he had the best workout of any QB at the combine in passing drills:

Posted on: Monday, February 25, 2008
Colt as sharp as can be in passing drills
By Stephen Tsai
HawaiiWarriorBeat.com Editor

INDIANAPOLIS — Colt Brennan found the perfect way to quell the football critics.

By being perfect.

Brennan, a former University of Hawai'i quarterback and 2007 Heisman Trophy finalist, was credited with 100-percent accuracy during yesterday's passing drills at the National Football League Scouting Combine in the RCA Dome.

Brennan was 20 of 21 in drills ranging from 5-yard outs to streak patterns. The lone incompletion came when Kansas wideout Marcus Henry dropped a chest-high pass. Because that pass was catchable, the scouting report credited it as a completion.

. . . .

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Feb/25/sp/hawaii802250357.html

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »
If there is one thing Colt doesn't have trouble with, it's accuracy.  He's the most accurate QB in NCAA history.  And I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but he had the best workout of any QB at the combine in passing drills:

By Stephen Tsai

INDIANAPOLIS — Colt Brennan found the perfect way to quell the football critics.

By being perfect.

Brennan, a former University of Hawai'i quarterback and 2007 Heisman Trophy finalist, was credited with 100-percent accuracy during yesterday's passing drills at the National Football League Scouting Combine in the RCA Dome.

Brennan was 20 of 21 in drills ranging from 5-yard outs to streak patterns. The lone incompletion came when Kansas wideout Marcus Henry dropped a chest-high pass. Because that pass was catchable, the scouting report credited it as a completion.

. . . .

Agree on the accuracy issue.  I worry that his 3/4 sidearm throwing motion will be a hinderance throwing over taller tackles in the NFL.  Even though he gained some weight, he looked soft in his pro day workout.  I think he is worth a shot in the NFL.  Not to mention he has a great attitude, with something to prove. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
Agree on the accuracy issue.  I worry that his 3/4 sidearm throwing motion will be a hinderance throwing over taller tackles in the NFL.  Even though he gained some weight, he looked soft in his pro day workout.  I think he is worth a shot in the NFL.  Not to mention he has a great attitude, with something to prove. 

I don't have a problem with his delivery.  Sometimes he throws overhand, sometimes, three quarters, sometimes sidearm.  I think the fact he didn't have a lot of passes batted down and he completed 70 percent for his career means his delivery is pretty darn good. 

You thought he looked soft at his pro day?  He was 218.  Looked fine to me.

You're right that he'll have something to prove.  He went from a first round pick last year to late round pick this year.  It's unfortunate, but I think he'll be a good pro.   

More on his combine performance:

I wasn’t there, but I’ll take the word of a veteran NFL scout who has never steered me wrong that Brennan was awesome. And this guy doesn’t drink Kool-Aid.

“It was very good. By far the most accurate. He showed very good timing,” said the scout, who has worked at more than 10 NFL combines. “It was one of the best performances I’ve seen in that.”

http://uhfootball.blogspot.com/2008/02/sunday-combine-news-impressive.html

body88

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2008, 06:08:49 PM »

By Stephen Tsai

By being perfect.

. . . .

You are correct. I was reffering to the senior bowl and its practices, my mistake. Thats were colts inaccuracy with live NFL throws and lack of arm strength was dicovered by many NFL scouts. If colt was so good at the combine, why is he not even in the discussion with the top qbs in the draft? I'm not sure some throwing drills could overshadow his putrid showing at the senior bowl. Dont get me wrong, the qb of the pats was overlooked in the same way, but he had success leading a big time program when he actually got to play.

As I have said before, I think the kid has raw talent, and he is worth a shot, but I think he was highly overrated in college. I thought he would go around round three at the start of the year, but after watching him at the senior bowl I thought six or seven.

Shit, I could be totally wrong, and I hope the pats give him a chance and he turns out to be a stud. But I have to call it like i see it right now. (just my opinion)

"Brennan's inadequate arm strength is obvious to all in attendance. His passes lack any velocity which gives the defensive backs extra time to break up his throws, something that's been a common occurrence.
Woodson has been all over the place with his throws and has shown poor accuracy. His receivers are consistently slowing up in routes, reaching back or leaving their feet in order to try and catch the ball."

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »
I don't have a problem with his delivery.  Sometimes he throws overhand, sometimes, three quarters, sometimes sidearm.  I think the fact he didn't have a lot of passes batted down and he completed 70 percent for his career means his delivery is pretty darn good. 

You thought he looked soft at his pro day?  He was 218.  Looked fine to me.

You're right that he'll have something to prove.  He went from a first round pick last year to late round pick this year.  It's unfortunate, but I think he'll be a good pro.   

More on his combine performance:

I wasn’t there, but I’ll take the word of a veteran NFL scout who has never steered me wrong that Brennan was awesome. And this guy doesn’t drink Kool-Aid.

“It was very good. By far the most accurate. He showed very good timing,” said the scout, who has worked at more than 10 NFL combines. “It was one of the best performances I’ve seen in that.”

http://uhfootball.blogspot.com/2008/02/sunday-combine-news-impressive.html

The picture that was on the advertiser.com website showed him having a little "opu."  Too much katsu, imho. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
You are correct. I was reffering to the senior bowl and its practices, my mistake. Thats were colts inaccuracy with live NFL throws and lack of arm strength was dicovered by many NFL scouts. If colt was so good at the combine, why is he not even in the discussion with the top qbs in the draft? I'm not sure some throwing drills could overshadow his putrid showing at the senior bowl. Dont get me wrong, the qb of the pats was overlooked in the same way, but he had success leading a big time program when he actually got to play.

As I have said before, I think the kid has raw talent, and he is worth a shot, but I think he was highly overrated in college. I thought he would go around round three at the start of the year, but after watching him at the senior bowl I thought six or seven.

Shit, I could be totally wrong, and I hope the pats give him a chance and he turns out to be a stud. But I have to call it like i see it right now. (just my opinion)

"Brennan's inadequate arm strength is obvious to all in attendance. His passes lack any velocity which gives the defensive backs extra time to break up his throws, something that's been a common occurrence.
Woodson has been all over the place with his throws and has shown poor accuracy. His receivers are consistently slowing up in routes, reaching back or leaving their feet in order to try and catch the ball."

Right before the Senior Bowl he had the flu, lost ten pounds and suffered a hip injury on the first day of practice (recently had surgery).  In spite of that, he was selected to start the Senior Bowl and elected team captain.  So, his practices couldn't have been that bad.  Martz was raving about him at the Senior Bowl. 

Anyone who thinks he doesn't have an NFL arm simply hasn't watched him play.  Arm strength isn't a problem. 

I really have no idea why his stock dropped so much from last year to this year.  It certainly wasn't because he suddenly became a lesser player.  I've watched Ryan, Henne, Brohm, and Woodson play and IMO Colt is better than all of them. 

But we shall see.  The encouraging thing for him and our other UH players is lots of players get drafted late and have successful careers.  Very interested to see where they all end up.   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
BC now plays in the ACC

E

Sorry, Earl.Thanks dude, Was puffing the cheeba when I wrote that. ;D

body88

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2008, 09:30:45 AM »
The picture that was on the advertiser.com website showed him having a little "opu."  Too much katsu, imho. 

Brennen was 185 at the combine

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »
Brennen was 185 at the combine

Colt was 207 at the combine.  http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Feb/23/sp/hawaii802230340.html

You got some bad Colt sources mang.   :)  I've been listening to a lot of draft talk the past couple months and the amount of misinformation is astounding.  Some guy from the NFL Network (Mayock?) was on a local radio station the other day and he said he was "discounting" UH WR Ryan Grice-Mullins' 4.33 40 at his pro day workout, because he ran a 4.5 and 4.6 at the combine.  Claimed to have the numbers right in front of him.  When the accuracy of his numbers was questioned, he suddenly had to appear on another show and was gone in less than 60 seconds.  Grice-Mullins ran a 4.4 at the combine. 

Those "experts" kill me.