Author Topic: Terelle Suggs files grievence against Baltimore:Breaks off long term talks  (Read 1872 times)

body88

The ravens had to let A.D go so they could lock Suggs up.... Obv it's a rebuilding year for the ravens, but they need to make sure they don't lose this guy to a team like New England, or even the jets....

My god man , I would love it if NE stole that beast out of Baltimore.. Suggs can play inside lb, outside lb, and even de in the 3/4.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
It would be nice for the Pats if it were a possible reality. For now, you'll have stick with old-timers like Bruschi and Zack Thomas.

Where are you getting this information from? Suggs was franchised, a move he absolutely expected to happen. A long term deal wasn't supposed to be in place until after the NFL draft and right before training camp.

Got a link?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
How could a team like the Pats sign Suggs?  Wouldn't they be up against a salary cap limitation?

body88

How could a team like the Pats sign Suggs?  Wouldn't they be up against a salary cap limitation?

If Suggs gets pissed off that the ravens franchised him as a lb he could very well play out the year as a Raven, and then tell them to fuck off in 09. After taking care of Moss, Gaffney, Washington and others - the pats still have over 8 million bucks left in cap space. It would never happen in 08, but the pats could put together a back loaded deal to get him if they really wanted to. I was thinking more along the lines of 09.....

body88

It would be nice for the Pats if it were a possible reality. For now, you'll have stick with old-timers like Bruschi and Zack Thomas.

Where are you getting this information from? Suggs was franchised, a move he absolutely expected to happen. A long term deal wasn't supposed to be in place until after the NFL draft and right before training camp.

Got a link?

Suggs is pissed the Ravens tagged him as a lb, and not a de. I am surprised you didnt know about this considering you work for the ravens - (its all over the place). At this point it's just a rumor, but it could cause some problems if Suggs feels the Ravens are trying to be stingy with him. At this point the ravens are a few years from contending for a sb, and thats if they pick up a legit qb in the dradt. If the ravens are trying to milk Suggs for all he is worth , he may decide to hit the bricks.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/03/06/extra-points/6178/

Terrell Suggs Wants a Bigger Tag
Here’s a very interesting wrinkle in the economics of the 3-4 defense. Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs, who was tagged with the Ravens’ franchise tender this year, will earn a guaranteed $8.065 million. But because Suggs lines up as a rush end so often, he’s filed a grievance against the team stating that he should receive the tender for defensive ends, which would bank him a total of $8.879 million.

This is a case that will be watched intently by every outside linebacker in, and every team running, a defense like Baltimore’s or Dallas’ or San Diego’s (Mr. Parcells, this applies to you in Miami as well).

Seems to be a pretty easy solution to me — with all the charting that teams do these days, there has to be specific information as to how many times Suggs lined up with his hand down. If it was half the snaps or more, call him a defensive end who got a two-yard head start on a few zone blitzes and give him the extra money. Seriously, if his primary function is as an end, and you want to take him off the market, that’s how he should be paid. The Ravens counter with the less than completely compelling argument that Suggs is listed on the roster as a linebacker and plays linebacker in the base defense, and that’s how he should be compensated. They may want to work on something better.

Our individual defensive numbers show Suggs involved in 62 rushing plays and 20 pass plays. DeMarcus Ware? 57 to 29. Shawne Merriman? 42 to 29. Outside linebackers in our tables average involvement in about three pass plays for every two run plays, While that includes 4-3 linebackers as well and is therefore not the definitive argument-solver, Suggs’ own high percentage of run plays leads me to believe that he’s a special case.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V

Suggs is pissed the Ravens tagged him as a lb, and not a de. I am surprised you didnt know about this considering you work for the ravens - (its all over the place). At this point it's just a rumor, but it could cause some problems if Suggs feels the Ravens are trying to be stingy with him. At this point the ravens are a few years from contending for a sb, and thats if they pick up a legit qb in the dradt. If the ravens are trying to milk Suggs for all he is worth , he may decide to hit the bricks.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/03/06/extra-points/6178/

Terrell Suggs Wants a Bigger Tag
Here’s a very interesting wrinkle in the economics of the 3-4 defense. Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs, who was tagged with the Ravens’ franchise tender this year, will earn a guaranteed $8.065 million. But because Suggs lines up as a rush end so often, he’s filed a grievance against the team stating that he should receive the tender for defensive ends, which would bank him a total of $8.879 million.

This is a case that will be watched intently by every outside linebacker in, and every team running, a defense like Baltimore’s or Dallas’ or San Diego’s (Mr. Parcells, this applies to you in Miami as well).

Seems to be a pretty easy solution to me — with all the charting that teams do these days, there has to be specific information as to how many times Suggs lined up with his hand down. If it was half the snaps or more, call him a defensive end who got a two-yard head start on a few zone blitzes and give him the extra money. Seriously, if his primary function is as an end, and you want to take him off the market, that’s how he should be paid. The Ravens counter with the less than completely compelling argument that Suggs is listed on the roster as a linebacker and plays linebacker in the base defense, and that’s how he should be compensated. They may want to work on something better.

Our individual defensive numbers show Suggs involved in 62 rushing plays and 20 pass plays. DeMarcus Ware? 57 to 29. Shawne Merriman? 42 to 29. Outside linebackers in our tables average involvement in about three pass plays for every two run plays, While that includes 4-3 linebackers as well and is therefore not the definitive argument-solver, Suggs’ own high percentage of run plays leads me to believe that he’s a special case.

To be fair, I work in the marketing department for the organization. But the topic of this post was misleading. I thought at first the headline was conveying that Suggs broke off talks about signing to a long term contract with the Ravens. Those talks wern't supposed to begin until after the draft and after mini camp, according to his agent.

This story actually came out the day Suggs was tagged(suprised you didn't know that-about 2 1/2 weeks ago.) But now the topic and headline is starting to gain momemtum.(hence, your contribution)

I think Suggs has a legitimate gripe, no question. He has the snaps at DE for the 2007 season to prove his point. He's a hybrid position player but 2007 was the first year he played 55%-60% of his defensive snaps at DE.

Bottom line is that he's a Raven for the upcoming 2008 season. Anything after that is speculation. I really think a level of compomise will be worked out. Suggs is a huge fan favorite in Baltimore. He loves playing here and is quoted as saying that he wants to finish his career in Baltimore. He'll still only be 26 years old after the '08 season. He's simply too valuable to let go and the front office knows this. I'm willing to bet he signs a monster long term contract to stay, sometime before or during the 2008 season.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
Happy face today, huh Earl?

body88

To be fair, I work in the marketing department for the organization. But the topic of this post was misleading. I thought at first the headline was conveying that Suggs broke off talks about signing to a long term contract with the Ravens. Those talks wern't supposed to begin until after the draft and after mini camp, according to his agent.

This story actually came out the day Suggs was tagged(suprised you didn't know that-about 2 1/2 weeks ago.) But now the topic and headline is starting to gain momemtum.(hence, your contribution)

I think Suggs has a legitimate gripe, no question. He has the snaps at DE for the 2007 season to prove his point. He's a hybrid position player but 2007 was the first year he played 55%-60% of his defensive snaps at DE.

Bottom line is that he's a Raven for the upcoming 2008 season. Anything after that is speculation. I really think a level of compomise will be worked out. Suggs is a huge fan favorite in Baltimore. He loves playing here and is quoted as saying that he wants to finish his career in Baltimore. He'll still only be 26 years old after the '08 season. He's simply too valuable to let go and the front office knows this. I'm willing to bet he signs a monster long term contract to stay, sometime before or during the 2008 season.

Why would I know about a situation that happened with Suggs 2 weeks ago if it was not reported nationally until today? I dont follow the Ravens much, but I do like some of there players. I think Suggs will resign with the ravens, and I also think that there is a slight chance that he gets ticked off by the ravens trying to low ball him, and then he listens to offers from other teams. The Ravens are a few years away from contending for a sb imo, depending on if they can draft a qb this year or not - ( I hope they take Ryan). So, it's not CRAZY to think Suggs may want to play for a contender next year if the Ravens start to unravel due to the coaching change, and the fact they have no starting qb. Hell, I think the browns are going to be a superbowl contender next year, and with a good draft - the jets will be in the sb race as well.

Bottom line is the NFL is driven by rumors and speculation.. I think Suggs will be a Raven in 09, but I am not stupid enough to think he might tell the birds to screw and sign with someone else.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V

Why would I know about a situation that happened with Suggs 2 weeks ago if it was not reported nationally until today? I dont follow the Ravens much, but I do like some of there players. I think Suggs will resign with the ravens, and I also think that there is a slight chance that he gets ticked off by the ravens trying to low ball him, and then he listens to offers from other teams. The Ravens are a few years away from contending for a sb imo, depending on if they can draft a qb this year or not - ( I hope they take Ryan). So, it's not CRAZY to think Suggs may want to play for a contender next year if the Ravens start to unravel due to the coaching change, and the fact they have no starting qb. Hell, I think the browns are going to be a superbowl contender next year, and with a good draft - the jets will be in the sb race as well.

Bottom line is the NFL is driven by rumors and speculation.. I think Suggs will be a Raven in 09, but I am not stupid enough to think he might tell the birds to screw and sign with someone else.

It was local news around here but he's been griping publicly through his agent and now it's become bigger news, nationally.

By the way, you do know I was just trying to push your buttons and fuck with you a little about the Pats, right? It got ugly for a little while there going back and forth but I just decided to run with it.

No hard feelings?

body88

It was local news around here but he's been griping publicly through his agent and now it's become bigger news, nationally.

By the way, you do know I was just trying to push your buttons and fuck with you a little about the Pats, right? It got ugly for a little while there going back and forth but I just decided to run with it.

No hard feelings?

No worries, I knew you where just fucking around. You are one of the "og's" around here, you have my respect my friend........

I hope you guys take Ryan in the draft, I have watched him play since he came to BC, and I think he would finally give the ravens  legit QB to go along with all the talent you have on the team.

There are a lot of very good rb's in this draft, as well as wr's - ( who are not the sexy pick this year). I think the ravens improve to a playoff contender next year - (barring turmoil from a new coach), and follow it up in 2010 as a legit sb threat.. Matty Ryan is a prototypical pocket passer, and he is also very athletic for a guy his size...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
I think by the time the Ravens are up (pick#8), I'm sure Ryan will be long gone by then(top 5 easily). The Ravens don't usually trade up if their picking in the top 15. But who knows?

I think they might trade for a veteran QB, to be honest. And I think they might select a cornerback in the first round this year. Their top guys, McAllister(age 31) and Rolle(32) are starting to age. Rolle would make a great nickel back but he'd have to be willing to take a huge pay cut.

But if somehow Ryan slipped to #8, he would be too tempting to pass up. I just don't see it happening. He's a top 5 guy, if you ask me.

I like your optimism about being playoff team in '09 but I just don't know. It largely depends on the QB play and how the team adjusts to the new coach and his philosophy. Locking up Suggs for the future is obviously huge but there are other long term needs as well. The team is definitely rebuilding. no question.

But that is what's great about the NFL these days. Every year a team can come out of no where and contend. That's parity for you.

body88

I think by the time the Ravens are up (pick#8), I'm sure Ryan will be long gone by then(top 5 easily). The Ravens don't usually trade up if their picking in the top 15. But who knows?

I think they might trade for a veteran QB, to be honest. And I think they might select a cornerback in the first round this year. Their top guys, McAllister(age 31) and Rolle(32) are starting to age. Rolle would make a great nickel back but he'd have to be willing to take a huge pay cut.

But if somehow Ryan slipped to #8, he would be too tempting to pass up. I just don't see it happening. He's a top 5 guy, if you ask me.

I like your optimism about being playoff team in '09 but I just don't know. It largely depends on the QB play and how the team adjusts to the new coach and his philosophy. Locking up Suggs for the future is obviously huge but there are other long term needs as well. The team is definitely rebuilding. no question.

But that is what's great about the NFL these days. Every year a team can come out of no where and contend. That's parity for you.

The only team that would take Ryan in the top five would be Atlanta imo... But, I see them taking Mcfadden. I hope the pats can find a way to trade out of the top 7 and nab Quenton Groves and Dom Cromartie....

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
The only team that would take Ryan in the top five would be Atlanta imo... But, I see them taking Mcfadden. I hope the pats can find a way to trade out of the top 7 and nab Quenton Groves and Dom Cromartie....

Yeah, Cromartie is the guy the Ravens have been scouting hard. Maybe Ryan will drop to #8. You never now.

I love the NFL Draft. I usually take the entire day off of work and watch just the first day.

body88

Yeah, Cromartie is the guy the Ravens have been scouting hard. Maybe Ryan will drop to #8. You never now.

I love the NFL Draft. I usually take the entire day off of work and watch just the first day.

This draft is loaded with cb, rb and lb talent - ( for the the 3/4 imo).... Some players I would love to see as patriots in 09 are DRC, Groves, Goff, Mcelvin,Tribble, Chris Johnson, Chris Long, Jake Long, Gosdar, Otah and the tight end from ND - (Carlson?)...........

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
LB, huh? I thought the LB class was among the weakest this year. While watching the NFL combine most everyone agreed that this year was weak.

Am I thinking about another position, such as OL?

body88

LB, huh? I thought the LB class was among the weakest this year. While watching the NFL combine most everyone agreed that this year was weak.

Am I thinking about another position, such as OL?

I said for the 3/4; which includes de's... Fuck the mediots, I see plenty of quality lb's for the three four in this years draft... Chris Long (elephant lb), Gholston, Groves, Goff, Connor, Gooden, Wheeler, Howard - shit I think there's an abundance of lb's...

This draft is loaded with db's, rb's, and IMO a bunch of legit 3/4 lb's...