Author Topic: Any Bird Peeps here?  (Read 16046 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Any Bird Peeps here?
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
I was looking at the cutest sun conure today. He was sitting on my finger.  :D   He was still green and just starting to get some yellow.  I've always wanted a bird, I resisted and made the smart decision and bought a book on them instead.  ;)

So what's it like having a bird?  Pros and Cons, but especially the cons. 

Anybody have a conure in particular?

:)

PS- when he had to go back in his cage I could here him squaking as I walked away - I think he missed me  ::) 

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Any Bird Peeps here?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »

PS- when he had to go back in his cage I could here him squaking as I walked away - I think he missed me  ::) 

he probably just wanted a second chance to pee on ya !

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
he probably just wanted a second chance to pee on ya !

he already pooped on my hand   :D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
he already pooped on my hand   :D

and how did that make you feel ?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
alot of noise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 05:40:08 PM »
My sister and her husband used to have an Amazon.  Apparently they like one person at a time.  After it stopped liking my sister, it was out of it's cage one time and flew into her hair and got tangled up.  After that she was terrified of it. 

Once I was there and her husband let it out of it's cage and she was afraid so she sat on the floor on the other side of the living room.  It spotted her and opened it's wings and ran across the room toward her shrieking CAW!  CAW!  She jumped up and ran into the kitchen almost starting to cry.  It was hilarious!

They also had/have a Green Winged Macaw.  It is really a beautiful bird and very loving and smart.  They actually snuggle w/it.  I taught it to say "poopy." 8)
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
Please delete geo's asshole-ish remark.    >:(

Sun Conure don't get very big, not like an Amazon.

He/she was pretty cool sitting on my finger looking around, making some noise.
    :D

w8m8

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »
I has an Amazon I got talked into it

I ended up giving it back

She was loud and noisy

Someone taught her to say / sing "Rita , oh Rita , hi Rita , ohhhhhhhh RIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTAAAAA , awwww rita " then laugh hysterically !!!!!
she'd do it for like 10 minutes straight , with no reason

like just break out in song  :(

>:(   >:(   >:(

she was messy throwing food all over too

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »
I has an Amazon I got talked into it

I ended up giving it back

She was loud and noisy

Someone taught her to say / sing "Rita , oh Rita , hi Rita , ohhhhhhhh RIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTAAAAA , awwww rita " then laugh hysterically !!!!!
she'd do it for like 10 minutes straight , with no reason

like just break out in song  :(

>:(   >:(   >:(

she was messy throwing food all over too

Yeah, they can be shrieky and scream a lot.  And yes, they can be extremely messy :(
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
  C'mon... know one owns a bird here?    :(

Would it be creepy if I just went and visited him?   ::)     

The girl I talked to (for about an hour) has 15 birds and seemed to really know her stuff!  She was talking about how they will go through an adolescent phase and try and get away with stuff, it was cool.
  :)

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »
is that your finger Arsenio?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
Hopefully i'll be taking ABVP-Avian Specialty boards within the next two years, if I can get my case reports accepted by the credentialing committe.  I'm boards eligible, I just have to jump through the hoops and get time to study, so take what I say how you want too. 

As a bird owner, i have two of them.  A 29 year old Amazon and an 8 year old African Grey.   They are both very special in their own right.  The amazon is mean as a snake, but funny as hell.  He'll take your finger off and laugh at you while he does it.  I didnt own him for the first 26 years of his life so he's got some bad habits (like moaning loudly like a woman having an orgasm and answering anything that remotely sounds like a telephone).  he is very partial to blond females and hates all men if there is a woman close by.  He hates men so bad he'll go after them and bite the shit out of them---which is why the previous owner got rid of him and why my wife is not allowed to open the cage when I'm in the shower----his 1 lb pissed off ass coming out from under my bed trying to bite my toes right after I got out of the shower and only wearing a towel and a smile was not a fun time in my opinion. 

The grey is a trip becuase she cusses like a sailor thanks to my wife and her potty mouth.   She's much nicer than the amazon.   ;)

A few things about birds in general:
1) birds will bite.  The conure you are looking at is capable of taking a nice nip out of your hand.  It will hurt and it will bleed.  Be prepared to be nipped at least once
2) birds are messy, its the nature of a bird to make a mess while eating.  You won't be able to change that
3) birds can be very noisey, depending on the species.  Not all birds talk and not all birds scream.  You can train them to talk, you can train them to scream, and they can make a lot of noise.
4) birds take time and attention.  By nature the birds in the pet trade (psittacines) are flock birds.  If a human takes on the role of the birds flock, you will have a bird that loves to interact with you.  At the same time, there are birds out there that will kill a weaker member of the flock because its for the better of the flock to keep predators away.  If you are percieved as being that weaker member, you and your bird will never be happy with each other. 
5) most birds don't like to cuddle and be hugged on, but most birds can be trained to like a gentle scratch on the back of the head.
6)  most bird species in the pet trade live a long time--some of them 40 to 60 years.  The conure you are looking can easily live 20 years.  Getting a pet bird is a long term commitment.  Be prepared for that commitment.
7)  birds have their own opinions.  If you own a bird who decides it hates you, you are in for a very long road.  Generally you will not be able to convince it to change its mind once that mind is made up
8) Humans have a very real allergy to bird dander---all birds, not just "downy" birds like cockatoos and african greys.  Be aware of this allergy, especially if you have other allergies. 
9)  Most of all, bird in the pet trade--specifically psittacines---are intelligent animals.  They do best in an evironment that challenges them to think about what is going on around them.  They are also prey species, so the fight or flight response can be very strong.   Give them something to think about, but don't scare them. 

Let me know if you  have specific questions. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »

Sorry to burst your bubble Flower, but that was a conure.  They all squawk.   ;)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubble Flower, but that was a conure.  They all squawk.   ;)

he wasn't squawking til he was put back in his cage.   >:(  He was chattering nicely on my finger.   :D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
thanks for the info Vet, you said a lot of the things the girl did, especially attitudes, and being stubborn and if you let them get away with something they will continue to do it.

That's why I left with a book instead of a bird.  ;)   

The other one was already full yellow, she/he was about a year old. She told me that that one you already had an idea of it's personality, but the other one was still in the cute baby stage and he could be totally different when he got older and went through adolescent stage.   

Definitely something to think good and hard on before deciding.

I don't think I could ever have a big bird, I think it would scare me. These are a nice size.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »
Hey Vet- what about birds and dogs.  I know don't leave them together unsupervised but that is a major concern of mine.

When both birds were out a few dogs walked by and neither was concerned, nor when people walked by, I'm sure being in the petstore they are used to noise, but what about a big ole Dane head looking in the cage.  Now the girl told me that the bird would probably fluff itself up and make noise at the dog and to let it know it means business because that would teach the dog to back off.  I just wouldn't want a bird all stressed out or something.  She said the bird might even through stuff at the dogs for amusement, lol!     Do I think my dogs would want to eat a bird, no, but they would be fascinated by it of course. 

She said the bird shouldn't be shut away from the household in it's own room so I would want it downstairs, I wonder if it would find it fun to annoy the dogs all day?   ::)       

That's why I wish you could do a test, just to see if the dynamics would work or be a total disaster.

w8m8

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »

That's why I wish you could do a test, just to see if the dynamics would work or be a total disaster.

that's a great concept , it would have saved me $300

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
Doesnt Ozgirl have a bunch of them? she hasnt been around in a long time though. If you look on Craigslist you can usally find birds for free. 8)
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
Doesnt Ozgirl have a bunch of them? she hasnt been around in a long time though. If you look on Craigslist you can usally find birds for free. 8)

???   Why free?   I don't think you should ever give an animal away for free unless you know the person.  There are a lot of strange people out there that would do something horrible, so maybe if someone is willing to pay for the animal it has some kind of value.

Since you used the  8) face I am thinking you mean something completely different then what I think?
  >:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
I know someone who has one.  His name is Skittles  ;D  He's very cuddly.
I also know someone with a Lovebird.  He's sweet and does not make much noise at all.  He's very pretty. 
My grandmother had a parakeet for 10 years named Peanuts.  He had quite a vocabulary and he'd sing songs and whistle for the dog  ;D.

None of them seem to be much trouble. 
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
he wasn't squawking til he was put back in his cage.   >:(  He was chattering nicely on my finger.   :D

Sun Conures are cute little birds.   If trained right and bonded with the owners, they can be a whole lot of fun.  Squawky fun, but fun still.   ;)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
thanks for the info Vet, you said a lot of the things the girl did, especially attitudes, and being stubborn and if you let them get away with something they will continue to do it.

That's why I left with a book instead of a bird.  ;)   

The other one was already full yellow, she/he was about a year old. She told me that that one you already had an idea of it's personality, but the other one was still in the cute baby stage and he could be totally different when he got older and went through adolescent stage.   

Definitely something to think good and hard on before deciding.

I don't think I could ever have a big bird, I think it would scare me. These are a nice size.

I personally like the big birds, they are easier to handle and less likely to die if you hold them----I had a caique do that one time, I'm still a bit freaked out by that bird dying.  All I did was a physical exam, drew blood, the intern trimmed the birds beak, it looked great, was perching chatting away, then looked sort of funny and fell over dead. 

respect African Greys for their intelligence and I just think Hyacinth Macaws are gorgeous birds.   My all time favorite though are Andean Condors (gorgeous HUGE wingspans) and Marabou Storks ( I swear, if they were human, they'd be Italian from Brooklyn or Statin Island).   They are just awesome.  fortunately you will never see either of those birds outside of a zoo situation. 

Birds will definitely go through a maturation phase---the "terrible twos" which for some species lasts 4 or 5 years.  That said, remember that all birds have the basis for their personality by the time they are fledged and weaned.  Birds mature really fast relative to some other species.  The basis of their personality will be there (ie will the bird be nippy, will it be easy to train, does it value affection, etc) you will just shape it into what comes out, or ruin the bird through that maturation phase. 

You can also teach old birds new tricks.  Remember, they are intelligent animals, so even one that is set with very bad habits can often times be reached and may make a very good companion in the right household. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »

???   Why free?   I don't think you should ever give an animal away for free unless you know the person.  There are a lot of strange people out there that would do something horrible, so maybe if someone is willing to pay for the animal it has some kind of value.

Since you used the  8) face I am thinking you mean something completely different then what I think?
  >:(

I'd never take a bird for free unless i knew the owner very well and there was an examination by a qualified avian veterinarian done including blood work, chlamydiophila testing, and a fecal gram stain.   Free birds are a recipe for disaster, especially if you own other birds.  I've seen too many owners take a free bird into a house with other birds where the new bird looks great for 2-3 days, then becomes very ill.  The next thing you know, all of the birds are sick.  Birds are masters at hiding disease, with some of them doing it amazingly well.   Remember, the sick bird is th weak bird and a weak bird is a dead bird in a flock.  Its the nature of the animal to hide disease. 

Also, remember, birds carry diseases like chlamydiophila which is transmitted very easily through feces (meaning you'll get it when you clean the cage).  They also carry other diseases. 

Finally, many free birds are free for a reason.  Theres an old saying, you don't give away your best horse.  A bird is being given away for a reason.  Uncontrollable squawking and biting are probably the most common problem followed a close second by destructiveness or aggression.   A free bird is often very likely to have behavioral problems and because they are a bird, they may be problems that will take a tremendous amount of effort to address. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Hey Vet- what about birds and dogs.  I know don't leave them together unsupervised but that is a major concern of mine.

When both birds were out a few dogs walked by and neither was concerned, nor when people walked by, I'm sure being in the petstore they are used to noise, but what about a big ole Dane head looking in the cage.  Now the girl told me that the bird would probably fluff itself up and make noise at the dog and to let it know it means business because that would teach the dog to back off.  I just wouldn't want a bird all stressed out or something.  She said the bird might even through stuff at the dogs for amusement, lol!     Do I think my dogs would want to eat a bird, no, but they would be fascinated by it of course. 

She said the bird shouldn't be shut away from the household in it's own room so I would want it downstairs, I wonder if it would find it fun to annoy the dogs all day?   ::)       

My grey used to drop food out of her cage.  My male pit would crawl under the cage and eat the food.  When he turned his back to her, she'd yell "TEDDY!!!" in my voice.  The dog jumped every time, hitting his head on the cage catch trays.  My bird laughed like an idiot, would wait 10 to 15 minutes and then do it again.  I was a dumbass for not getting video of those two when Teddy was alive. 

Now she yells at all of the dogs---tell them to "get in her dammit, its cold", "Supper time", calls their individual names with explicatives involved---Ie HORTON, DAMMIT!!!, tells them to shut up when they bark, makes barking noises at them when they are quiet, asks them "Who is it" in my wifes voice to make them bark" and tells them to sit.   My dumb old boxer would stand in front of the cage and stare at the bird.  Bird would make fart noises like the boxer does, laugh loudly, then tell him "FEN, SIT, SIT, SIT.....good boy" in my voice. I laughed my ass off the first time the boxer sat down and looked at me confused.  The poor old guy wasn't the smartest, especially with the Bird. 

I am giving you those examples because I think dogs and birds can get along great under adult supervision in the right household.  Dogs can also kill birds in a heartbeat, so I would never, ever leave my bird out unsupervised with a dog around, even if I knew the dog very well.   My wife and I got our first bird when we were in veterinary school.  He was a senagal parrot, that just adored my wife.   I don't know if you know anything about senagals, but they are tough little shits.  Typical African parrots.  Anyway, my wife was doing a preceptorship at a local small animal practice and I was doing one at a local zoo with us both staying at her parents house.   The bird had been in the house for 5 weeks with no incidence from my mother in laws German Shepard.  The dog would let the bird sit on her head and never once showed any signs of aggression. 

My wife and sisterinlaw came home and let the dogs out, then decided to run into town to get some food from Hardees.  In the ~13 minutes they were gone (it was about a 3 mile drive) the dog tore the birds cage apart and literally mauled the bird.  The bird fought back as best it could but an 85 lb dog vs a 150 gram parrot isn't a fair fight, although the dog still has scars from the bird bite wounds.  My wife walked into the house to find bird feathers everywhere, the dog frantically pawing at the carpet by the couch, and her bird huddled under the couch taking its dying breaths.  It was not a good situation.   It also left a lasting impression on me.  Through the years I've seen several dogs who interacted great with birds (my own included) but I've also seen some hideous injuries to pet birds from dogs and cats both.  I'd never trust a bird and a dog or a cat alone together.  All it takes is one nip from the bird or the bird trying to fly and the dog or cat could be on it.  Then it could very well be all over.