Author Topic: Any Bird Peeps here?  (Read 16234 times)

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Any Bird Peeps here?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »
   I bet it would mess with them actually.    Plus one good snip on the nose would teach em! 

absolutely...

between the noise and jealousy factor ?

that bird could screw up the whole dynamics of the flower household.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
dynamic....

now there's a word that best describes the situation

w8m8

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »
I  think Tad may eat the bird ( he's an awesome warrior ) then of course he would act innocent .

It would be a mystery forever , they're tight you know , they'd never rat on each other .

He handles a deer leg like it's a milkbone !!

maybe you could use a padlock when you sleep ~flower~ ?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »

dweetir (until he/she is sexed and I can come up with the official name) is home and chilling.   The dogs have gone right up to his cage and he just looked at them.  No barking or squawking (for now) but my dogs do not have a high prey drive so they are more curious than wanting to "get" him.

I'm sure it will get more interesting, but so far I think we're off to a good start.

Will take some pics while the dogs are eating and they won't be blocking me.

:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
absolutely...

between the noise and jealousy factor ?

that bird could screw up the whole dynamics of the flower household.

I used the word dynamics when debating getting a bird because keeping the dynamics cool is the way we roll!!

w8m8

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 03:38:28 PM »
OH OH OH  ;D ;D awwwwww "dweetir" good name !!!

I was joking about Tad I knew they would all love each other

I already envisioned Dweetir taking rides on the crew !!

How cool ~flower~ this is going to be one great bird  :D

Congrats !!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
 :D 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
dweetir's hatch day (?) was 11/24/07 so he is almost 4mos old.  I guess when his is around 6 months he will get more of the yellow.

He knows "step up" because they handle them alot at the store, so that is good.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »
OH OH OH  ;D ;D awwwwww "dweetir" good name !!!

I was joking about Tad I knew they would all love each other

How cool ~flower~ this is going to be one great bird  :D

Congrats !!

Well dweetir decided he wanted to flap down to the couch and Tad was on it (the big dogs were outside, it will be some time before I have him out with them) and Tad zoomed over to check him out and I told him leave it.  dweetir didn't seem to care, nor does he care that they look in his cage. 

Danes can be big oafs so they need to get used to him.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

You did not.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »
he's pretty cool lookin

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »
dear amy

I've been doing a lot of research on your bird and you'll be glad to know that it's life span is between 20-30 years...

if you have any other questions about your bird feel free to ask

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »

dweetir

ha haaaaaaaa!! ;D   

Dweetir is beautiful Flowey :)

It has happened among almost every pet bird owner. They buy a bird, start calling it “Charlie”, and much to their surprise they awake one morning to realize that Charlie laid an egg. What happened? The dilemma is not one that is easily solved. Birds in general do not show external sexual characteristics. The males favor the females and vice versa. So how do you tell a male bird from a female bird? Unless you are trying to breed your bird it doesn’t matter what the bird’s sex is.

If you were breeding your bird, there are several options to determine the sex. One is by observation. There are no such things as male behaviors or female behaviors, but if the bird lays an egg than you know you have a female. The female’s ability to do this is independent of having a male nearby. Sometimes females will lay infertile eggs spontaneously. If you prefer and want a more concise way of identifying the sex there is the technique of DNA sexing. This technique analyzes the bird’s red blood cells to determine the presence of male or female chromosomes. Any age bird can undergo this testing and it only takes one drop of blood. For the most part this technique is reliable and relatively inexpensive. The blood sample taken from the bird is sent out to a lab for identification. Results can take up to o three weeks to come back from the lab. DNA fingerprinting is also available for birds, but it is less common.

Surgical Sexing is also available for birds. Of all the modern methods available, this is the oldest and quickest way to determine the sex. A tool known as an endoscope is passed into the body cavity. The bird is placed under a general anesthesia. With this tool either ovaries or testes are seen and alas you have the sex of the bird. There is an advantage to this technique in that when the veterinarian has the endoscope inside the bird, it can reveal the overall health of the bird. This is an expensive technique. It also places stress on the bird. An experienced avian veterinarian can usually do this technique at a minimal risk.

Fecal Steroid Analysis is another technique. This requires that the bird be sexually mature. A stool sample is analyzed for the presence of reproductive hormones.

Feather Sexing is conclusive in determining sex if you retrieve the feather pulp from a growing feather. The feather is analyzed for the presence of male or female chromosomes. The sample needs to be sent to the lab in an ice pack by overnight mail.

For most pet birds, there are general guidelines to determine the sex of the bird. These guidelines are based on the physical characteristics of the bird and should only be used as a guideline, because there are exceptions to every rule. For most people, however, they are enough to satisfy their need to know.

In parakeets there are ceres, which are small dots on the bird's beak. In mature male parakeets the ceres are bright-bluish; the female ceres are reddish-brown. When the birds are young, it is difficult to tell because the ceres of both sexes are pale blue.

In the cockatiel, males are generally great singers. Female cockatiels have been known to talk but are generally quiet. The male cockatiel has bright orange cheek patches. The females also have orange cheek patches but they are dull in color. These again are only guidelines. In other birds it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between a male and female. The only reliable method for these birds is to take it to an avian veterinarian and have it done diagnostically.

For most people it doesn’t matter if the bird is male or female. The bird has become a part of their family, and a Charlie can easily become to be called Charlene. For breeders and people that just have to know, there are techniques available as discussed above. As with anything it is important to discuss any concerns you have with your avian veterinarian.

R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
Looks like the bird is striking a forearm pose

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2008, 03:09:02 AM »
dweetir is a very kewl name, interesting and unusual... lol.   :D
:D Weee

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2008, 06:38:36 AM »
Flower...wondering how the morning went w/dweetir et al
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2008, 06:45:47 AM »
Laura, I thought it was a good temporary name and I hoped it would bring a smile to your face.   :) :-*

STella- Check your phone  ;)   

dweetir hung out upstairs on his playset that I put on a chair.  Since the dogs are barred from the upstairs he can enjoy his morning out with me before work undisturbed and safe.     It is so cool to see the look on his face as he goes into new areas, they really are very interested in everything around them. 

Here's him on his playset:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2008, 06:57:11 AM »
Dweetir did bite me, but not a mean nasty attacking bite, but a bite to show he didn't want to leave his cage but he would  because he had to, and when he used his beak as a foot he used it harder than he had to.  Since I was already forewarned I ignored it and didn't pull away so he didn't think he won and get into the habit of doing it whenever he doesn't want to do something or doesn't get his way.  It is a tiny scratch.   

I stopped and picked him up some fresh foods: broccoli, parsley, mustard greens, red yellow & orange peppers, and organic bananas.  I was going to get some grapes but they were from Chile and I thought I heard they sprayed something on them?  I will be trying to go organic for him whenever I can.   I also got a box of 7 grain whole wheat pasta in the cork screw shape (vet I can give him that cooked or uncooked correct?) and I couldn't find any unsalted sunflower seeds I wanted to get him for treats, so I did buy a bag of the parrot mix that has sunflower seeds, and peanuts, corn, red peppers and maybe some other stuff. That will be for treats. 

He's going to be very spoiled.  I wanted to bring the book in so I could use the section on fresh foods as a grocery list but I figured they would think I stole it and/or I was a weirdo so I will make a copy of that page.   ::)

STella- I will be having the blood DNA sexing test done. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
bird 1  -  flower 0

Think he would like a deer leg?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2008, 08:09:48 AM »
Stella alerted me to the fact that you have a new bird named DWEETIR.   ;D ;D ;D

He/she's a beauty!!!  You can't change the name now though, no matter what the sex.  Dweetir is a great name for this bird!!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2008, 08:20:18 AM »
bird 1  -  flower 0

Think he would like a deer leg?

no flower - 1  because bird came out of cage anyways.   :)

He might like a deer leg as a perch
:D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
Stella alerted me to the fact that you have a new bird named DWEETIR.   ;D ;D ;D

He/she's a beauty!!!  You can't change the name now though, no matter what the sex.  Dweetir is a great name for this bird!!

I think it's gonna change when "it" has a confirmed gender.   But it is hard to think of names since I don't have the gender to help me get a "vibe" on the name.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »

I think it's gonna change when "it" has a confirmed gender.   But it is hard to think of names since I don't have the gender to help me get a "vibe" on the name.

That bird looks like a DWEETIR to me, if I've ever seen one!   :D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »
Dweetir
Dweetir
Dweetir
Dweetir
Dweetir