Author Topic: Has PowerLifting Gone Down Hill  (Read 9831 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Has PowerLifting Gone Down Hill
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »

Just admit that a drug-free, raw bencher is the only guy really deserving of our respect and we can sign the settlement papers.

It's more a matter of working the "helpers" into the equation. The way I see it, Lori, without any help, chemical or mechanical, is good for about a 150 bench.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »
It's more a matter of working the "helpers" into the equation. The way I see it, Lori, without any help, chemical or mechanical, is good for about a 150 bench.
Which is more than respectable. In 20-odd years I've seen exactly two(2) women BP 135.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »
Valid, but pharmacueticals simply increase the perfomance capabilities of the human body, they are not MECHANICAL assistance.
What about polevaulting?  :D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »
assisted powerlifting- 'strength' thru technology.

i wonder how many of these amature 'powerlifters' who use compression suits would be able to stand in a squat rack raw, with say even 500 on the bar and do nice deep reps, conventional, not sumo without their knees buckling.

jpegg, dont even try for a minute to say you could, if it wasn't for the fact you use compression, your lifts would not be impressive, nor would you be able to hide behind the title of being a 'powerlifter' instead of just owning up to the fact you are weak without equipment, and look horrible.

And, oh wise one has ever performed a sumo squat?  You are nothing.

Jason

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »
Which is more than respectable. In 20-odd years I've seen exactly two(2) women BP 135.

For a petite woman, it's a lot. No doubt.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »

I watched a girl kid you not just a frog's hair above 100lbs bench 155 at the metroflex push/pull meet not a handful of months ago! She's a fitness competitor to boot!

[urlhttp://metroflexgym.com/bio_jean.htm][/url]

that's her!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
I watched a girl kid you not just a frog's hair above 100lbs bench 155 at the metroflex push/pull meet not a handful of months ago! She's a fitness competitor to boot!

[urlhttp://metroflexgym.com/bio_jean.htm][/url]

that's her!
thanks for making me feel like a 100 lb bitch who can barely bench 155 lbs  :-X
follow the arrows

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
And, oh wise one has ever performed a sumo squat?  You are nothing.

Jason

hahaha did you laugh at that comment too?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »
Shirted benching impresses me about as much as the guy in the Gorilla mask that does Trampoline dunks

BFD

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »
Shirted benching impresses me about as much as the guy in the Gorilla mask that does Trampoline dunks

BFD

C'mon, it's pretty sick when they do it from halfcourt and shit, no?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »
C'mon, it's pretty sick when they do it from halfcourt and shit, no?

Yes they have their TECHNIQUE down pat ;D

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
Equipped powerlifting (shirts, suits) is totally and completely different than raw powerlifting.  You train differently, you do the lifts differently, and you use different weights.  

Powerlifting is not going downhill.  Both raw and equipped forms are progressing and evolving.  Take each of them for what they are - both require ALOT of strength, technique, and hard training to be successful - and leave it at that.   8)

Very well put.

Chris
w

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »
And, oh wise one has ever performed a sumo squat?  You are nothing.

Jason

you so much to be proud of.

lol.
b

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2008, 04:01:28 PM »
you so much to be proud of.

lol.
he squats over 800, pulls 700 and is a war veteran who recovered from a wound that would have killed you, you're nothing next to him.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »
he squats over 800, pulls 700 and is a war veteran who recovered from a wound that would have killed you, you're nothing next to him.

::)
b

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »
I don't think powerlifting is doing itself many favours. Imo it has the potential to become an Olympic sport, but introducing 3 and 4 ply shirts is doing the sport no favours whatsoever. Where do you draw the line? When the shirts are built with thicker chests so you only have to lower the bar a couple of inches?

Surely wearing a shirt doesn't make you stronger? It only gives you the equivalent of a few hundred/thousand extra tendons to assist you to move additional weight which you otherwise couldn't. Take the shirt off and you're just as strong as you were raw?

On the point on lowering the bar with a shirt, I know people who have had to PULL the bar down because they are wearing a shirt, that hardly makes it that impressive pressing it back up again?

I agree it takes a lot of time and hard work to get the most out of a shirt, but why bother if you don't suffer from bad joints?

Anyways, each to their own and all that. Each are treated separately and rightly so, but personally I plan on competing in an equipped national deadlift comp in the next few weeks and winning it raw  ;)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
I don't think powerlifting is doing itself many favours. Imo it has the potential to become an Olympic sport, but introducing 3 and 4 ply shirts is doing the sport no favours whatsoever. Where do you draw the line? When the shirts are built with thicker chests so you only have to lower the bar a couple of inches?

Surely wearing a shirt doesn't make you stronger? It only gives you the equivalent of a few hundred/thousand extra tendons to assist you to move additional weight which you otherwise couldn't. Take the shirt off and you're just as strong as you were raw?

On the point on lowering the bar with a shirt, I know people who have had to PULL the bar down because they are wearing a shirt, that hardly makes it that impressive pressing it back up again?

I agree it takes a lot of time and hard work to get the most out of a shirt, but why bother if you don't suffer from bad joints?

Anyways, each to their own and all that. Each are treated separately and rightly so, but personally I plan on competing in an equipped national deadlift comp in the next few weeks and winning it raw  ;)
The oddest part of this argument (equipment) is how closely that it parallels arguments about religion or politics. So many guys are so quick to point out how the way they do it is superior, and those who use gear or dont walk squats out are cheaters.  The best part?  We dont care.  I, as a multi ply lifter, am not conceted to the point some of you are where I fail to realize that strong is strong.  I can appreciate Wade Hooper squatting 777 just as much as I can Vlad Alhazov squatting 1250.  Both are strong.  To those guys who think that the equipment does all of the work and absolutely fail to recognize or refuse to respect some of the numbers the multi ply guys  do, i just ask you to unrack it.  Take 1100lbs out of the squat rack, and just stand up with it. Dont try to squat it, just take the weight onto your back.  Unrack 800lbs on the bench and hold it at arms length.  It probably will not change your mind about the equipment being "cheating", but I think you might gain a little more respect for guys that do it.

Jason

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2008, 07:12:27 PM »
how do you figure? she lowers the bar to her chest and pushed it back up, what's the difference?

Did you watch the video?