Author Topic: Pre-exhausting  (Read 5330 times)

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
Pre-exhausting
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
I've usually had very hard time getting my lats and shoulders to respond well to training. They are almost never sore the next day after training, and even while doing my back workout, i can't really get this burning feeling in my lats.
About a week ago i found this tip from a finnish bodybuilding forum, which includes doing 5 sets of 20reps of machine pullovers as a first exercise in your back workout. The similar tip was also to shoulder training, which included doing 5x20 of dumbbell flyes. I've now included these pre-exhausting methods in my back and shoulder workouts (except since my gym doesn't have a pullover machine, i've done straight arm pulldowns), and both lats&delts has been very sore the day after (in a good way that is). It was a funny experience to finally get that burning feeling in the lats for the first time after years of training :D

Anyone ever tried these same exercises as a pre-exhausting method?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Pre-exhausting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:55:05 AM »
i always pre exhaust on the bigger muscles that tend to incorporate other minor muscles...(back, chest, quads, shoulders)..  for me i find that the best pre exhaust exercise for back is doing high repetitions on smith machine dead lifts..then mooving straight over to machine pull downs. for shoulders i think it depends on what yoru probelm is...if your triceps tend to get too invloved, the doing dumbell laterals as a pre exhaust method would work great; if your traps tend to get too invloved, the behind the neck smith machine press is a great pre exhaust method.  for chest, dumbell flies and cable crossovers are great, for quads i always go with leg extensions.

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
i always pre exhaust on the bigger muscles that tend to incorporate other minor muscles...(back, chest, quads, shoulders)..  for me i find that the best pre exhaust exercise for back is doing high repetitions on smith machine dead lifts..then mooving straight over to machine pull downs. for shoulders i think it depends on what yoru probelm is...if your triceps tend to get too invloved, the doing dumbell laterals as a pre exhaust method would work great; if your traps tend to get too invloved, the behind the neck smith machine press is a great pre exhaust method.  for chest, dumbell flies and cable crossovers are great, for quads i always go with leg extensions.

Wise words my friend. However, doing 20reps of deadlifts as a pre-exhausting exercise sounds TOO exhausting :) Especially if you do several sets and not just one.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Wise words my friend. However, doing 20reps of deadlifts as a pre-exhausting exercise sounds TOO exhausting :) Especially if you do several sets and not just one.
actually..i normally do 5-6 sets of 20 repd , then 1 or two sets of a heavier weight for 8-12 reps.  for myself, i cant overtrain back, and i dont ever want to stop lifting when im training back...so more=better; for myself at least.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
the pre-exhaust is where's it's at!  Back is the big one for me...I almost always pre-exhaust it.  Although, I have been experimenting without lately.  But when I do, it's usually either a reverse fly, a stiff arm pulldown, or a machine pullover(or a combo of those) supersetted to the compound movement.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »
the pre-exhaust is where's it's at!  Back is the big one for me...I almost always pre-exhaust it.  Although, I have been experimenting without lately.  But when I do, it's usually either a reverse fly, a stiff arm pulldown, or a machine pullover(or a combo of those) supersetted to the compound movement.
i do soemthing like that supersetted with my dead lifts....i call them "lat shrugs"...grab onto the pull up bar and just shrug the lats...no arm bend.. its like the only way possible to fully isolate the lats...really helps me feel the smith deads deep in my back; which helps me go super heavy on pull downs without feeling anything being put onto my biceps.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
I think you're talking about retractions-where you pinch your shoulder blades together without bending your arms?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »
For my back to get it real sore my first exercise is Lat pulldowns superseted with Lat Extensions, then i do deads...after deads i have a back workout of 4 exercises for 4 sets of 5 exercises with the last two i only do 3 sets ....for Shoulders I start out with lateral raises, then do presses.....
L

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
What are you guys doing to pre exhaust on shoulder's day?

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »
Do a set of lateral raises right before shoulder presses, no rest inbetween.  You could do bent over laterals as well.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 07:32:19 AM »
I'm not too convinced you should do too much before deadlifting.  Obviously you want to be warm when you start but if you've pre-exhausted the muscles, you will not be doing a 'power' exercise at the end, and the whole point of deadlifting is to treat it as a power exercise.
It hasn't helped...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 07:46:19 AM »
i'm not going to bother with pre-exhaust until I build a solid foundation of muscle first.  still working on that.