Author Topic: Who here has won a show or wt class ?  (Read 5596 times)

Moosejay

Re: Who here has won a show or wt class ?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »
You gonna keep competing til you're at the masters level?

Ironically, the CT I won at 30 yrs old...I went in the master's div when I was 36...only got 3rd (pic on members board under Moosejay)...these guys were better than the younguns!

Moosejay

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 04:13:21 PM »
Vince INVENTED the trophy!

Actually, this Vince fellow looked good in his old pics....no?

Moosejay

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »
They collect a lot of dust too!  :)

I have a lot of trophies from the 80's that were really wqorks of art...anyone from this time knows what I mean...three feet tall or larger, wooden...beautiful but dust collectors...

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
Ironically, the CT I won at 30 yrs old...I went in the master's div when I was 36...only got 3rd (pic on members board under Moosejay)...these guys were better than the younguns!

Masters at 36?    doesn't masters start at 40?

Moosejay

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »
1st place heavy 2006 tri-state open, 1st place and overall light heavy 2007 NBI- PRO\AM,   2nd place NPC 2007 light heavy Jan Tana\Kamali classic.

Was that Felix Corona's shows in Terrytown? I judge them most years.

Moosejay

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:43 PM »

Masters at 36?    doesn't masters start at 40?

No...sometimes its 35, then 40, 45, 50, so on.

The master's I did at state level was NPC...so their criteria is a bit diff.

Mike

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Figure Overall at the New Englands 2006, and Lightweight BB at Junior Nationals 2007.   :)

:)

Moosejay

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Figure Overall at the New Englands 2006, and Lightweight BB at Junior Nationals 2007.   :)

wow...class win at J nats? Great!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
Howie:

I started competing in 1980 at 16 yrs old. This is when teen divisions had up to 50 entrants!

And later on, most area, local and state NPC shows easily had 100+ entrants.

It was much tougher then.

I competed in nearly 60 shows, have about 20 trophies.

Won ANPPC Natural CT in 1995
Won Tall Class in AAU Collegiate Illinois in 1990
Won ANPPC Natural Colonial States in 1994

Took me 2 years to get trophy at first. Went in shows way too big for me, in some of which I stood next to Jeff King, Victor Ter ra, Vinny Cuonzo, Charles Durr (RIP)etc!

Conn? and the old AAU? wow, I grew up in Portsmouth NH ( moved in 81 went into the USMC)
I did my first show in 1978, the AAU Mr Eastern Seaboard,Greewich, Conn,  38 teens and I placed and got my first trophy.
Chris Dickerson was there and gave out the trophies. Mike Katz was the promoter and there were a lot of the Pumping Iron guys there as well. It was my first BB show and I figured it was a "normal" or typical regional event.
I didn't even bring a camera and figured I would most of the same guys around all the time...wrong :-[
From 1979 - 81 I entered the AAU Mr NH each summer and got 3rd every year. Not bad consider there would always be over 10 guys in my ht class each yr and I barely knew what a steroid was then , never mind use any.

I was in the 1980 Mr Bay State in Worster Mass, Victor Terra won the short class and future IFBB pro Mike Quinn was a mere 19 and looked massive even at that age. I remember seeing Quinn pumping his arms and delts back stage, man he looked intense as hell. The overall was won by a great New Engalnd physique named Richard Warfield.
Great show and I placed 6th out of 22 guys in the Medium tall class. I wasn't ripped enough , but looked ok and held my own. Len Archinbeaux ( spell?) was the guest poser , had a Zane like physique and looked so damn ripped.
I remember he posed to the theme from Star Wars and the promoter held up a cassete player/recorde to the microphone and he was rhe only on that posed to music.
I chugged a few choc milks right after the show , felt good for a few seconds, then puked in the parking lot hehe.

Those were the days....Howard

Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Moosejay

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »
Conn? and the old AAU? wow, I grew up in Portsmouth NH ( moved in 81 went into the USMC)
I did my first show in 1978, the AAU Mr Eastern Seaboard,Greewich, Conn,  38 teens and I placed and got my first trophy.
Chris Dickerson was there and gave out the trophies. Mike Katz was the promoter and there were a lot of the Pumping Iron guys there as well. It was my first BB show and I figured it was a "normal" or typical regional event.
I didn't even bring a camera and figured I would most of the same guys around all the time...wrong :-[
From 1979 - 81 I entered the AAU Mr NH each summer and got 3rd every year. Not bad consider there would always be over 10 guys in my ht class each yr and I barely knew what a steroid was then , never mind use any.

I was in the 1980 Mr Bay State in Worster Mass, Victor Terra won the short class and future IFBB pro Mike Quinn was a mere 19 and looked massive even at that age. I remember seeing Quinn pumping his arms and delts back stage, man he looked intense as hell. The overall was won by a great New Engalnd physique named Richard Warfield.
Great show and I placed 6th out of 22 guys in the Medium tall class. I wasn't ripped enough , but looked ok and held my own. Len Archinbeaux ( spell?) was the guest poser , had a Zane like physique and looked so damn ripped.
I remember he posed to the theme from Star Wars and the promoter held up a cassete player/recorde to the microphone and he was rhe only on that posed to music.
I chugged a few choc milks right after the show , felt good for a few seconds, then puked in the parking lot hehe.

Those were the days....Howard

Great story, Howie.

NH is awesome...you know George Butler lives in Holderness?

I am 44 about 5 years your junior...I was at the show in Greenwich (Was it held in Fairfield University and NO air conditioning and hot as hell?

Those are great placings... Iremember how tough it was back then...whole diff deal!@

Yes, Richard Warfield...a fine competitor...wqhen head to head with the likes of Jack Farnetti, Rich Roy and some others.

Lenny Archambeault...won Mr. International, wqent for high placings in the A a few years when 'Zanesqueness' was still valued

He went against Ronny Mangum a few times.

I have experienced the choc milk thing....was shredded one show....ate a sqweeze bottle of welche's grape jelly and my roomie's dad's home made wine...made it through the show...then wanted God to take me...I got so sick

Hey... it wqas the 80's :)

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
Was that Felix Corona's shows in Terrytown? I judge them most years.

YEAH BRO!! hahah maybe you judged me!! Felix is a cool kat! The only show I did in Tarrytown was Kings but the NBI ones were in Clarkstown HS.

Moosejay

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »
Yes...I love going out there and like the NBI shows...Felix is a good dude.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
5 class wins and one overall.  Will be doing the Master nationals this year.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »
5 class wins and one overall.  Will be doing the Master nationals this year.
Nice, when was the last time you competed and what age masters?
I am going to see if I can get my ass up on stage at MR Podunk this fall and maybe hit the over 50 next yr at the masters nationals
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »
Nice, when was the last time you competed and what age masters?
I am going to see if I can get my ass up on stage at MR Podunk this fall and maybe hit the over 50 next yr at the masters nationals
Last year. I am 41, the over 40 class.

Moosejay

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:53 PM »
Cool...the Master's Nationals is a tough one, as you know...great motivation